Comedy

jimmyjazz

Saw Rodney perform live 3x in Austin, just a fantastic show and very rapid fire delivery.  We still laughing at one joke an he had told about 3 or 4 others by then.  Have a DVD of Pryor Live @ Long Beach I watch every so often.   Don’t really have a favorite today, John Pinot(RIP) was the last comedian I really liked. 

Possibly the funniest comedian I've seen live. Caught him at The Comedy Store show at The Dunes in Las Vegas 1986. Had never heard of him before. That set was so funny I still have it memorized. Died in '91.

Edited by RPM
typo corrected

I've been a stand-up fan since I was a kid listening to Steve Martin and Robin Williams (albums not CDs). I loved it when Comedy Central first started and the only thing they showed were stand-up segments. When I'm sober (currently sitting in a diner in Vegas eating wings and trying to finish my double Jameson), I'll post some of my favorites.

5 hours ago, RPM said:

Possibly the funniest comedian I've seen live. Caught him at The Comedy Store show at The Dunes in Las Vegas 1986. Had never heard of him before. That set was so funny I still have it memorized. Died in '81.

If he was that funny after being dead for 5 years, I can't imagine how funny he was when he was alive. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

If he was that funny after being dead for 5 years, I can't imagine how funny he was when he was alive. 

Typo, '91.

He was Shaggy/Surly before Shaggy/Surly. His jokes were not PC. His homophobic/aids-phobic jokes were tear squirters. San Francisco... Land of the whispering bushes. "Psst, Hey Buddy... You want a blowjob?"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HornPhD said:

I loved it when Comedy Central first started and the only thing they showed were stand-up segments.

Same here.  I watched a ton of stand-up on Comedy Central during college in the mid-1990s. 

And HBO had some great stand-up specials in the 1980s.  I used to love the Rodney Dangerfield Young Comedians Specials.  It's where I first saw guys like Bill Hicks, Sam Kinison, and Andrew Dice Clay.  I'd record them on my VCR and re-watch them with my friends for hours.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Underdog said:

Saw Rodney perform live 3x in Austin, just a fantastic show and very rapid fire delivery.  We still laughing at one joke an he had told about 3 or 4 others by then.  Have a DVD of Pryor Live @ Long Beach I watch every so often.   Don’t really have a favorite today, John Pinot Pinette(RIP) was the last comedian I really liked. 

JFC. 

Have always liked George Wallace, no, not that GW, the other one.  Very funny man, his bit with Seinfeld’s coffee series is great, imo. 

Dave Atell is going to be up in my area next week, thinking about going to see him.  Big fan of his Insomniac series. 

Attell is a master of that craft. Seems like the kind of comic who could hang in any decade or any era. I was watching Anthony Jeselnik talk about how Attell got sober and how that can sometimes diminish a comedian's performance and writing. I watched that series Attell did with Geoff Ross and he's still nails and witty off the cuff as ever. His cadence and style is all original. 

Did a stand up comic marathon a couple weekends ago, and the one who stood out to me was Jimmy Carr.  He got the most laughs from me.  The two who got no laughs and had to be fast forwarded were Brian Regan and Dane Cook.

Dane cook is worthless. Regan is an acquired taste, and some of his material isn’t great.

43 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Attell is a master of that craft. Seems like the kind of comic who could hang in any decade or any era. I was watching Anthony Jeselnik talk about how Attell got sober and how that can sometimes diminish a comedian's performance and writing. I watched that series Attell did with Geoff Ross and he's still nails and witty off the cuff as ever. His cadence and style is all original. 

Jeselnik is my favorite newer/current comic

Edited by immortal13
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, bamachine said:

For one of the best skits ever put on tape...

Vicki Lawrence with the dagger to the heart.  Fantastic.  I don't imagine very many people born much later than 1970 have any idea how brilliant that show could be.  Of course, Tim Conway and Harvey Korman were the weapons-grade talent, but Carol Burnett & Vicki Lawrence could hold their own with anyone.  (I assume that's Dick van Dyke at the end of the couch.  Now THERE'S an entertainer's entertainer.)

• Like 2

Not standup, but saw a sketch show with Fred Willard recently where he was typically hilarious. Troubling how old he looked. Dude is a treasure. I read an article about his scene in 'Spinal Tap' in the Air Force hangar. That scene was totally improvised and they said they had nothing until Willard just took it over and they followed along while he turned it to gold.

29 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Not standup, but saw a sketch show with Fred Willard recently where he was typically hilarious. Troubling how old he looked. Dude is a treasure. I read an article about his scene in 'Spinal Tap' in the Air Force hangar. That scene was totally improvised and they said they had nothing until Willard just took it over and they followed along while he turned it to gold.

I'm not surprised. Not only Fred Willard is hilarious, but he's a legendary ad-libber. I hear most often they just have to turn off the camera at some point because he will just keep going and going and going.