Comedy

jimmyjazz

1 hour ago, Chooky said:

No he didn't. Listen to his stuff before SNL. He was way too young to be that good -- he was the Dwight Gooden of standup. 

Fair enough.  I was basing it on Delirious and such, like him as a comedic actor not so much as a standup. 

7 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

That's fucking stupid.

You are fucking stupid. 

Did I hurt your feelings, eddie?

Edited by Underdog

Comedy is weird as in how people tend to hate on mainstream guys who pack arenas. The grinder working gritty clubs is always the underground hero until they too get successful. 

Dane Cook earned his hate with the running around and screaming and stealing other people's work. Maybe the only time he made me legit belly laugh was in the aftermath of being outed as a thief. He had a bit where he said one day he decided to Google himself and Google responded with "Are you sure? Are you sure you want to see this? I really don't think you should see this."

On 5/10/2019 at 7:33 PM, HornsOverIthaca said:

This whole episode was pretty good.  Some of the jokes in this clip go back to the interview earlier in the night with Norm.  The punchline at the end of this was still killer though, it gets me every time.  Norm is awesome and highly underrated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ulukinatme said:

This whole episode was pretty good.  Some of the jokes in this clip go back to the interview earlier in the night with Norm.  The punchline at the end of this was still killer though, it gets me every time.  Norm is awesome and highly underrated.

Norm is a genius. Highly recommend his book.

38 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

"Baby, why you got your dick in the sink?

Baby, that's NASTY."

That's nasty baby, YOU'RE nasty...

If you saw Delirious in the 80s and didn't think it was funny I don't know what to tell you.

Edited by huge

On 5/9/2019 at 8:54 PM, Bullneck said:

Holy shit I've never seen that guy work before.  Howard Stern raves about him all the time.  Now I know why.

Well, well, I didn't know you wanted to be part of the discussion, Mr. Helper.  

• Like 1

Yikes.

In a comedy thread about comedy, I laughed the hardest at Underdog not knowing Kinison and thinking Eddie Murphy sucked

No Chris Rock?

Mitch, Dennis, Steve Martin were easy.  Conan has always been the best at late night comedy to me.  Dave Attell is fantastic.

Dane Cook early in his career was funny as hell.  Brian Regan has always been funny.

I got to see Jackie Martling and Jeff Foxworthy live in the early 90s

Probably the best you've never heard of would be Steve White

I'm pretty sure I've never laughed once at a female comedian.  They just aren't funny to me.  Wanda Sykes would be the closest to funny I've seen.

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Once upon a time, Kevin pollack was a good stand up comic. 

This being surly, I’m surprised nobody has brought up Lenny Bruce. 

I enjoyed Richard jeni. Shame he killed himself. 

You nailed it. First time I saw Kevin Pollack's HBO special was in a shitty roadside motel outside Cleveland. Never expected to laugh that hard that night. Pffffft It's Brian! Saved me from clinical depression that night.

Never heard of Lenny Bruce until I bought  scammed some rando comedy 8-track from RCA Record Club in the 12 records for 1¢ deal. The airplane glue bit cracked me up. 

Jeni was great. I expected him to wind up big time and he was headed that way, livin' the dream. Poor guy had some serious demons he was dealing with.

On 5/14/2019 at 5:00 AM, TexArcher said:

Is there some Surly award for Most Incorrect Post of the Day?  I hope you get something cool for showing your ass in public like this.

no shit man. I don't know if shit like Delirious is "standup" cuz its a full on 1.5 hour show, but Delirious is one of the fucking funniest 90 minutes of anything ever made. dude was fucking on point

10 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Probably the best you've never heard of would be Steve White

Steve White is good. First saw him on HBO around 1990.

And I agree about female comedians. I mean, I laughed at Ellen Degeneres, in the same way I’ve occasionally laughed at a funny Hallmark card.

Somebody else mentioned Kevin Pollock. He had a great stand up special in the early 90s or so that I recall was called Stop With The Kicking.

On 5/9/2019 at 11:56 PM, RPM said:

Possibly the funniest comedian I've seen live. Caught him at The Comedy Store show at The Dunes in Las Vegas 1986. Had never heard of him before. That set was so funny I still have it memorized. Died in '81.

Either you are off on his death by at least a decade or there was an imposter running around in the early 1990s using his name that looked exactly like him because I saw him in 1990 or 1991 at a bar in Manhattan, Kansas called Bushwhackers.  Also saw a pre-famous Bill Engvall at the same place around the same time

9 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Once upon a time, Kevin pollack was a good stand up comic. 

This being surly, I’m surprised nobody has brought up Lenny Bruce. 

I enjoyed Richard jeni. Shame he killed himself. 

Always thought Pollock was a good impressionist more than stand up, had tickets to see him a few years ago but he canceled out. 

Jeni was good, damn shame what happened with him.  

Saw Joan perform in Vegas, thought she was outstanding.  Always had a strange attraction to Cathy Ladman, others I like Natasha Leggero, Wanda Sykes, Phyllis Diller(rip),  Roseanne was hilarious before she became a big headed bitch.  As mentioned prior, really like the Anjela Johnson chick.  

Brian Regan's old stuff is amazing and clean. His newer stuff isn't as good. Get video from the early 2000's. Not sure there is a someone funnier that is clean.

Can't beat classics like Carlin/Kennison/Dangerfield/Hicks/Williams. Love Mitch Hedberg. Love Hedberg. Chris Rock's special in the late 90's was one of the greatest things I've ever seen.

Schimmel was amazing. Jeselnik is dark but really good. Tosh's stuff from 10 years ago is great. I like Gaffigan's older stuff. Stanhope/Lewis Black are also great. I saw Ron White at the Capital City Comedy Club in Austin in the  mid-90's and cried laughing.

I like Bert Kreischer. His older special is better than the newer one. Jimmy Carr is good. Jim Jefferies older stuff is better than his latest.

• Like 3

On 5/13/2019 at 9:07 AM, Chooky said:

No he didn't. Listen to his stuff before SNL. He was way too young to be that good -- he was the Dwight Gooden of standup. 

IOW, he was high AF when performing.

Someone mentioned Larry David up thread. There was a kind of Curb Your Enthusiasm mockumentary on HBO the other day, about when he was pitching it to HBO. The only way I knew about it was my DVR auto recorded it because of the filters I set up. Those of you who have HBO should do a search for it, worth a watch.

Edited by bamachine

Bert Kreischer is awesome.  The bit about one of his kids not being very smart is great.

Surprised there's no Bill Burr on here yet.

Agree on the female comics.  I thought Ellen's standup way back when was pretty good.  Also Kate Mckinnon but I have no idea if she does standup.

I saw Jay Leno for $1 ~ 1982.  He was clean and hilarious.  The quality of his comedy turned out to be inversely proportional to his net worth, because eventually he was the un-funniest guy on the planet.  OK, maybe the 2nd un-funniest guy on the planet.