New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

Going for a single night at the beginning of November and staying at The Mercantile, right by Emeril's.  But we don't want to go to Emeril's.  I usually stay in the Quarter, so not as familiar with this area.  Top options for dinner are Peche, Vyoone's, or Compere Lapin.  Any others that should make the list?  

Edited by Biff Tannen
I've been to Cochon already too

9 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Don't really disagree, but when here you gotta go at least once. If nothing else for the gram, and to say you did. 

Looks like a good time, food looks great. 

We are headed there tomorrow for the weekend and looking forward to copious amounts of food. Also going with kids so it will be more family focused. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, hornbri said:

Looks like a good time, food looks great. 

We are headed there tomorrow for the weekend and looking forward to copious amounts of food. Also going with kids so it will be more family focused. 

We came 25 years ago when ours were under 10. We did the zoo, riverboat, and such. Did the quarter during the day, but didn't have to deal with the smell of weed that is everywhere, even at 9:00 in the morning. We had a great time with them. 

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Going for a single night at the beginning of November and staying at The Mercantile, right by Emeril's.  But we don't want to go to Emeril's.  I usually stay in the Quarter, so not as familiar with this area.  Top options for dinner are Peche, Vyoone's, or Compere Lapin.  Any others that should make the list?  

The other Link spots, Herbsaint and Gianna. La Boca is a classic. Couvant as well. Gotta check out Howlin Wolf if someone good is playing. Rusty Nail/Side Car is the neighborhood bar (also a Bama bar so avoid on saturdays). 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

If you're only there for one night, I'd hit Peche for lunch and Compere Lapin for dinner.  

General reminder for everyone, even after Covid it's still good to check days/hours places are open, in particular for Sun-Wed.  Better yet just get reservations whenever possible, especially since most places do actually HOLD the reservation, which is the most important part.

• Hook 'Em 1

Last meal of the trip at GW Fins, and the best of the week. Matter of fact, it would rank up there as one of the best seafood meals we've experienced, and we've traveled a lot. Bluefin Tuna tartar for an appetizer, scalibut for the entrée and caramel bread pudding for dessert. Exquisite. 

20220922_180523.thumb.jpg.451c638a47081bed9e055fc432dcd1e3.jpg20220922_182531.thumb.jpg.be6729395601f338be81d192d92498dd.jpg20220922_185759.thumb.jpg.20e0bd05d562b08e3693c758b9f44781.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

That’s almost exactly how we ended our NO trip in March – tartar and scalibut at GW Fins. Loved it.

I thought that place was great, but had two minor critiques. The name “GW Fins” sounds like it should be part of the Landry’s restaurant portfolio. And the place was a bit too big and busy where it lacked some of the intimacy of the smaller joints in town. 

But I’ll still go back.

I never go to Cafe du Monde in the morning.  Sometimes swing by mid-afternoon when there's no line.  Some relaxing coffee and donuts to pad the stomach before assaulting it later with rye and absinthe.

The best time to go to CDM is 5:00 am, when you need some carbs and vitamin g to soak up some poor booze choices, and coffee to help give you a boost so you can hit a bar for more drinks at sunrise, which is as NOLA as it gets.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Go to Cafe Beignet by the police station on Royal St. Get there relatively early and there won't be much of a line.  The beignets taste the same and you didn't waste hours of your life in which you could have been drinking.  We are going in November, not sure where we will be eating yet though.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

Go to Cafe Beignet by the police station on Royal St. Get there relatively early and there won't be much of a line.  The beignets taste the same and you didn't waste hours of your life in which you could have been drinking.  We are going in November, not sure where we will be eating yet though.

Agreed, we have gotten them there a few times. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2022 at 1:19 PM, Rip76 said:

Ok scratch Nashville.  Back to NO for my 50th.

Weekend of October 29th.

Starting with hotels.  
This seems like a good location for everything.

https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/new-orleans/msycl/hoteldetail

I've stayed there. It's nice, but the rooms are smaller because the building was built 200 years ago. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Will be interesting to hear review.  Me (and several others on this board if I remember correctly around that same time period) had a bad experience in or around 2019.  It was primarily service related.  Just way understaffed that night (again, pre-Covid) and then food wasn't good enough to make up for it.  Nina wasn't there that night for sure.   I might give it another shot in a future trip if recent reviews are solid.  But that was probably my most disappointing meal of any of the upper end NOLA restaurants we've tried by far.

I've been to Compere Lapin four times, twice before COVID and twice after, and all have been solid to spectacular.  The first time was back in 2018 with a friend who grew up with Nina on St. Lucia, and she came out and chatted with us for a while. 

I believe I recently had the hamachi tartare, or some variation of it, and it was fantastic.  The pig ears are always a good snack.

Also, I'm a fan of the nearby Hotel Fontenot.  The rates have been pretty great the past few times I've been there, and I love the location -- at the north end of the warehouse district, an easy walk to the Quarter, and a quick uber ride to the Garden District and nearby parts.

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

That’s actually where we are staying.  Never been there, but the wife has hotel points and our usual place was booked up.  It looks pretty cool from what I have seen. How is the bar there?

We really like the Peacock. It’s just as good a bar as any for a pre-dinner drink. Always nice staff, solid Sazeracs.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, We’reTexas said:

Hopefully should be solid. Nina Compton has been working on some fucking NFT members-only cocktail bar, hopefully she isn’t overextended. I’ve always seen her in the kitchen at CL. 

Saw that NFT deal, not sure about that.  We've been 3 times to CL for food, always good.  And we usually stop there for drinks once/twice per trip.  Last trip or trip before, we hit up her Bywater American Bistro and it was outstanding. 

Will be heading back over in 3 weeks.  So far have reservations at Brigtsen's, Commander's, Saint John, Jack Rose, and Mosquito Supper Club.  Reminds me that we need to continue filling up the docket.