New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

Spending the week after Thanksgiving in New Orleans.  Last travel blowout of the year.  Will return to a shitty holiday work schedule.

Third trip (and third full week) this year. 

The first was in Feb for my birthday, but I'm guessing I had COVID or something (never bothered testing), and my energy level was dogshit.  The first few days were great, but sleep and TV time in the hotel became the norm, unfortunately.  Was also unfortunate that we had the most uncomfortable room (The W) we've ever had in town. Memorable trip, but for all the wrong reasons.

The second was in May with my elderly father.  2 rooms at the Ritz.  Two days at the War Museum were great.  His mobility was decreasing, decent dining was wasted on him, and he was obsessed with finding places for Irish Whiskey for some goddam reason.  Add a myriad of other random reasons, and it was a tedious, but somehow exhausting trip, and we were glad when it was over.  Had to do it because it was probably the last actual vacation he will ever have.  

This time, we are determined to redeem ourselves.  Suite at the Ritz.  Spa-time for the wife.  Honoring my wife's request to keep things old-school, so we have weeknight reservations at R'evolution and Arnaud's.  Despite setting a calendar reminder, I was unable to grab a Brennan's Brunch res for 12/3, so we're doing Antoine's instead.  The rest of the time, we go rogue.  We dress down, pound the pavement, dive-bar hop, and munch our way through the days and evenings to counter the alcohol intake.  Music on Frenchmen is the usual priority.  I expect that we shall log some significant steps between Canal and Frenchman, along with all the random meandering, over the course of a week.  

Our personal favorite haunts:

Sazerac Bar

Nola Poboys

Royal House

Molly's

The Dungeon

Patrick's Bar Vin

Fingers crossed we can redeem our Nola Mojo this time!

25 minutes ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

Recs for watching the US play Wales on the 21st with kids near the Quarter?  Game is at 1pm.

We are going to the aquarium that morning and Preservation Hall at 5.  Probably court of the 2 sisters before or after the aquarium.

Ryan's Irish Pub at Bienville & Decatur usually has the games.  

• Hook 'Em 1

a34401c463cbd27561d83ef1f40666d1.jpg
This was at Bratz Y’all. Love that place. The food is really good.
c88ce534675f9c854c207aedd49f445e.jpg
Pig ears at Compère Lapin. They are surprisingly tender and delicious. Forgot to take pic until they were almost gone.
20e752b5b7d9499c351810bebe4dc32e.jpg
Pork belly. The sauce was great.
0eaae9bb886910b44adcacf6cdd63971.jpg
Curried goat. Would have never guessed it was goat. Tasted like beef and was tender like a nice roast.
208cb99abeb48ee06e7905e845c59c37.jpg
Chocolate cake with passion fruit ice cream. Was pretty solid. The cake was a little dense and the chocolate was a little bitter for my tastes. The ice cream went well with it. Will for sure go back. It was a really good meal.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 8:01 PM, Godzillatron said:

Heading to Nola after Thanksgiving, staying in the French Quarter. Wife is a vegetarian, where should we eat?

Revolution, Acme, GW Fins among others in the Quarter.  La Petite Grocery, Parkway Tavern, Clancys, Domilese's are all good outside the Quarter.  All have seafood dishes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Spent last weekend in the Quarter.  Finally went to Casamentos.  No frills dive with great gumbo.  Walked by La Petite and wanted to eat there.  Shrimp and Grits at the Columns are great.  Antoine's was a last minute book and worst meal of the trip, got seated in the cafeteria out back with a coked up waiter

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

The New Orleans thread was on the 4th page and no one has posted on here since 12-19-22. Given that Mardi Gras just happened, that's pretty wild. 

I am going to NOLA for the first time in almost 2 years later this month for a long weekend. Does anyone have a view on any new places that rival places like Peche, LPG, Clancy's, Brennan's, Commander's? 

We haven't been to places mentioned on here that I'm trying to rank in terms of interest such as Compare Lapin, Herbsaint, Gris Gris, and GW Fins. 

Any help or thoughts are appreciated.

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The New Orleans thread was on the 4th page and no one has posted on here since 12-19-22. Given that Mardi Gras just happened, that's pretty wild. 

I am going to NOLA for the first time in almost 2 years later this month for a long weekend. Does anyone have a view on any new places that rival places like Peche, LPG, Clancy's, Brennan's, Commander's? 

We haven't been to places mentioned on here that I'm trying to rank in terms of interest such as Compare Lapin, Herbsaint, Gris Gris, and GW Fins. 

GW Fins is the only one on your list we ate at. It was the best meal we had for the week. Also the most expensive, if that matters to you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Was in town quite a bit over the past six weeks, been forgetting to post. Great Carnival season this year, though MGD was pretty hot. 

Honestly, not many new places have opened recently. The city has had a tough time with COVID and Ida. Saffron and Saint Germain remain the best restaurants at the moment IMO, though SG has gone full tasting menu since their James Beard award. Lengua Madre, Le Chat Noir, Justine all relatively new and great too.

But it sounds like you want something classic, so maybe Zasu? Chef Sue Zemanick came from Gautreau’s, another old-line place I recommend. Oh, and shameless plug for a friend’s brand new place Mamou (in old Meauxbar spot), which is legitimately one of the best new openings in years. Pompano a La Florentine:

656DE31F-AF7B-4F49-B139-E0E4C53DD465.thumb.jpeg.af56bf6508f2d670f894df95fd68b5f2.jpeg

But I always recommend Gabrielle, and Frank Brigsten is still kicking after all these years. 

One last shameless plug for a friend: The Tell Me Bar just opened in the LGD near Barrel Proof. One month in and best wine bar in the city by far. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm in New Orleans a couple times each month. I've recently had meals at LPG, Compare Lapin, GW Fins x2, and R'evolution.

I'd rank them like this
1a GW Fins (been twice over the last two months)
1b Compare Lapin
1c LPG
2 R'evolution

All are great choices. If you are looking to grab a very good shrimp Po boy check out Zara's lil Giant supermarket.
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, We’reTexas said:

Was in town quite a bit over the past six weeks, been forgetting to post. Great Carnival season this year, though MGD was pretty hot. 

Honestly, not many new places have opened recently. The city has had a tough time with COVID and Ida. Saffron and Saint Germain remain the best restaurants at the moment IMO, though SG has gone full tasting menu since their James Beard award. Lengua Madre, Le Chat Noir, Justine all relatively new and great too.

But it sounds like you want something classic, so maybe Zasu? Chef Sue Zemanick came from Gautreau’s, another old-line place I recommend. Oh, and shameless plug for a friend’s brand new place Mamou (in old Meauxbar spot), which is legitimately one of the best new openings in years. Pompano a La Florentine:

656DE31F-AF7B-4F49-B139-E0E4C53DD465.thumb.jpeg.af56bf6508f2d670f894df95fd68b5f2.jpeg

But I always recommend Gabrielle, and Frank Brigsten is still kicking after all these years. 

One last shameless plug for a friend: The Tell Me Bar just opened in the LGD near Barrel Proof. One month in and best wine bar in the city by far. 

Saint Germain has a James Beard Award?

1 hour ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

I'm in New Orleans a couple times each month. I've recently had meals at LPG, Compare Lapin, GW Fins x2, and R'evolution.

I'd rank them like this
1a GW Fins (been twice over the last two months)
1b Compare Lapin
1c LPG
2 R'evolution

All are great choices. If you are looking to grab a very good shrimp Po boy check out Zara's lil Giant supermarket.

I’ve been to Revolution and LPG multiple times and enjoy them. Might put one on the list. 

Sounds like we’ve been missing out on GW Fins when we go and need to add it this time. 

Would you rate the Zara’s poboy higher than Parkside (or Parkway, can’t remember but it was great)?

57 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Saint Germain has a James Beard Award?

Sorry, finalist. But they seem intent on an award, sucks because their a La carte menu for the bar/patio was great. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Would you rate the Zara’s poboy higher than Parkside (or Parkway, can’t remember but it was great)?

Zara’s is a solid neighborhood spot if you’re close by. My hot take is Parkway has gone the way of Mother’s. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, We’reTexas said:

Sorry, finalist. But they seem intent on an award, sucks because their a La carte menu for the bar/patio was great. 

Zara’s is a solid neighborhood spot if you’re close by. My hot take is Parkway has gone the way of Mother’s. 

I still like Mother’s, but I know they’ve gone way downhill. Grim assessment for Parkway. We’re definitely doing poboys after landing, so maybe Zara’s is the call. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I still like Mother’s, but I know they’ve gone way downhill. Grim assessment for Parkway. We’re definitely doing poboys after landing, so maybe Zara’s is the call. 

Well, they’re not Mother’s bad, but they’ve slipped since becoming such a huge operation. You would have a good po boy. Zara’s is a little neighborhood market (you can buy boiled crawfish at the register - don’t). If you are going that far uptown when you get in, Domilise’s and Guy’s are the way to go (both for shrimp). 

Edit: but if you do go to Zara’s, take your sandwiches to Kingpin. Fuck it, go there regardless.  That is a true NO neighborhood bar. 

Edited by We’reTexas
  • Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 8:17 AM, HenryJames said:

How was Luke? No one seems to mention it anymore.

I've done 2 lunches there (one somewhat of a blowout) and it was fantastic.   Frankly I've had low expectations largely because of this thread both times (and assumed my first solid meal bust have been an exception) but the next one was fantastic.  Love GW Fins.  Herbsaint was one of my favorite N.O. dinners.   Campere Lapin was worst high end dinner experience I've had there (as reviewed in this thread) but pretty clearly just caught it on a bad night.

21 hours ago, Skipper said:

I've done 2 lunches there (one somewhat of a blowout) and it was fantastic.   Frankly I've had low expectations largely because of this thread both times (and assumed my first solid meal bust have been an exception) but the next one was fantastic.  Love GW Fins.  Herbsaint was one of my favorite N.O. dinners.   Campere Lapin was worst high end dinner experience I've had there (as reviewed in this thread) but pretty clearly just caught it on a bad night.

We've locked in GW Fins on Thursday, Compere Lapin on Friday night, LPG for Saturday brunch and Herbsaint on Saturday night. Doing poboys on Thursday lunch and trying to figure out what we want to do on Friday lunch. You've now got me rethinking Compere Lapin. What sucked about it?

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

We've locked in GW Fins on Thursday, Compere Lapin on Friday night, LPG for Saturday brunch and Herbsaint on Saturday night. Doing poboys on Thursday lunch and trying to figure out what we want to do on Friday lunch. You've now got me rethinking Compere Lapin. What sucked about it?

I’ve several times over the past few months - not full meals, just snacking with drinks - and I wouldn’t say it sucks but Nina Compton’s focus is definitely on her new projects. Menu is static, service indifferent, etc. Same with LPG for that matter, though I had a great meal at the bar there over MGW. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Go get a good muffaletta. We had one for lunch at Red Fish Grill on Bourbon St. It was great. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This was I believe late fall pre-pandemic.   It was probably just one of those nights (or one of those weekends as if I recall someone else on this thread had a similar experience).  Service was just terrible.  Took forever for drink orders then ridiculous delay between drinks and first course then again before main.  I don't know if short staffed or a kitchen problem or what.  And then the food was just ok and not enough to make up for the shitty experience.   Server didn't handle it well and no manager ever showed up (Nina definitely wasn't working that night).  I'll say after I clicked "disappointed" or whatever the option was on opentable when they send you the follow up email, a Manager from the restaurant reached out and apologized and offered to comp next meal once I explained the situation.  I never took them up on as then the pandemic hit.

I should probably try it again but have had so many great experiences never ended up picking it since typically only have 2 dinners.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Commander's Palace for Friday lunch.  Those cheap martini's aren't gonna drink themselves, you know!

Brennan's in Houston, CP's progeny in some form, has that happy hour too. We did it for my wife's birthday once with a group of friends on a weekday for the ol'NRL. Good call.

44 minutes ago, Skipper said:

This was I believe late fall pre-pandemic.   It was probably just one of those nights (or one of those weekends as if I recall someone else on this thread had a similar experience).  Service was just terrible.  Took forever for drink orders then ridiculous delay between drinks and first course then again before main.  I don't know if short staffed or a kitchen problem or what.  And then the food was just ok and not enough to make up for the shitty experience.   Server didn't handle it well and no manager ever showed up (Nina definitely wasn't working that night).  I'll say after I clicked "disappointed" or whatever the option was on opentable when they send you the follow up email, a Manager from the restaurant reached out and apologized and offered to comp next meal once I explained the situation.  I never took them up on as then the pandemic hit.

I should probably try it again but have had so many great experiences never ended up picking it since typically only have 2 dinners.  

You have convinced me to tell my wife to seek a newer and comparable restaurant or just reserve Clancy's. I don't remember ever being disappointed by a meal in NOLA. Didn't think Revolution was worth the hype at the time, but still liked the dinner. That's as close as we've ever come.

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You have convinced me to tell my wife to seek a newer and comparable restaurant or just reserve Clancy's. I don't remember ever being disappointed by a meal in NOLA. Didn't think Revolution was worth the hype at the time, but still liked the dinner. That's as close as we've ever come.

I've had 2 really good, not great meals at Revolution.  Solid and I would definitely go back but neither was at the top tier.  The only somewhat disappointing experience I had at one of the higher end restaurants was Cochon.  It was just ok. Cochon Butcher was awesome for lunch for what it is so expectations were pretty high and weren't met.  We decided we'll stick to the butcher.

Bratz Yall is a good place to day drink off the beaten path especially if the weather is nice.  They also have really good food.  Compere Lapin was fantastic when we went a few months ago.  I would definitely go there if you haven't been.

20 minutes ago, Big Jake said:

Don't miss Saint John's.....quickly becoming our favorite.

https://saintjohnnola.com/

We had a fantastic brunch there last year last minute based on a rec from this thread.   They accidently brought out an extra crab app we didn't order, comped it, and it was the best dish we had.  But everything was excellent.  Def on our list for next trip.

On 3/7/2023 at 5:14 PM, We’reTexas said:

If you have a group, Galatoire’s Friday lunch is the way to go. You’ll need to hire a line-sitter and be ready for a long day of day-drinking, but the experience is worth it. 

Seconded, what’s all the “Commander’s Palace on Friday” bullshit?

Friday lunch at Galatoire’s is unmissable.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I have t been to Jacques-Ino since prepandemic. Has anyone been. Always one of my favorites. Always liked to go Commanders one night, Jacques-imo the next as they were such contrasts between high and low Nawlins. Commanders when Emeril was the chef might have been the best restaurant in the country.

Compere Lapin was the head-and-shoulders standout of the trip.  Mrs. Laz is still talking about the Jamaican redfish stew.  Curried goat was very good.  Saba Friday night was great, but we ordered a couple of things that were similar and it kind of became a labneh overload.  Neither of us thought R'Evolution was all that great, but we'd been drinking all day and had just killed an hour at Erin Rose drinking frozen Irish Coffee so probably not the fairest of aperitifs.  We'd also been out freezing our asses off all day at Super Sunday. 

Sunday night, we went out looking for Indians in Uptown.  Found some action around 2nd and Dryades.  Indians were pretty 

/nopics

Edited by Lazarus Bocanegra
  • Like 1

Wife and I snuck off last week for a couple of nights.  We used to go twice a year, but with kids and other life things, we haven't been in years, so it was nice to get back.  We also got to dba one night to see Treme Brass Band, always a good time.  Outside of Domilises, we didn't hit our usual spots (Jacque Imo's and Cochon), but decided to take some suggestions from here to try some new things.  In order of favorite:

Mamou - Thanks to @We’reTexas, we went here.  Even our friends who live in New Orleans had never heard of it and they are pretty plugged in.  It was everything he said and we loved it.  The cassoulet was the highlight and the risotto was terrific, but the rest was great as well.  They need to up their cocktail game a bit IMO, but the food was top notch.  The manager (I assume.  Her name is Molly) came by and asked how we heard about them and I told her about this board.  She seemed confused, which is understandable.  

La Petite Grocery - Our first stop in town and it was very solid.  The blue crab beignets were great as were the biscuits.  

Justine - We enjoyed it, but not as much as the first two.  We felt it was a little under seasoned, particularly the scallops, but my lamb chops were very good.  We had Vieux carres at the Carousel Bar right before, so we just did wine at dinner.  Really good wine list.

Another great trip with great food and drink.  Looking forward to next time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1