New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

8 minutes ago, 3shot said:

Shaya?  Maybe Cafe Amelie if you want to stay in the quarter...chicks dig the courtyard.  There's also Irene's for Italian and Pascal Manale's has a bunch of Italian stuff on the menu as well.   

Cafe Amelie closed, RIP. 

In the FQ: Palm and Pine, Sylvain, Italian Barrel, Justine’s, Domenica is across the street.

CBD/Warehouse: August, Herbsaint, Josephine Estelle, Gianna, La Boca, Couvant (just reopened under new ownership though and I haven’t tried it yet)

Marigny/Bywater: Bywater American Bistro, the Franklin, Paladar 511

Uptown: Tons of places…Coquette, Lillette, LPG, Saffron, Avo, Gautreau’s, Costera, the Bower

6 hours ago, DFWTexEx said:

Question:  I need to plan a birthday dinner in New Orleans for a guest of honor that really doesn't like creole or Cajun food and is iffy on any sort of aggressive seafood.  She is being a good sport and is going to Antoine's for a nice lunch the next day, but I'd like to be cool with her and find a nice restaurant that doesn't focus on that food.

Any thoughts?

Sounds lame.

Doris Metropolitan or Irene’s 

• Hook 'Em 1

Question:  I need to plan a birthday dinner in New Orleans for a guest of honor that really doesn't like creole or Cajun food and is iffy on any sort of aggressive seafood.  She is being a good sport and is going to Antoine's for a nice lunch the next day, but I'd like to be cool with her and find a nice restaurant that doesn't focus on that food.
Any thoughts?

Olive Garden? Red Lobster?

Sorry. I agree on Ruth’s Chris, or Dickie Brennans, or Commander’s Palace.
  • Hook 'Em 1

In town for the week, slumming at the Ritz-Carlton. Hit Nola Poboys as mandatory first stop on Tuesday. Bar-hopped our way around the Quarter. 

Finally made it to the WWII Museum yesterday. Pretty damn astounding and comprehensive, and it looks like they’re continuing to expand. 

Early res at GW Fins was disappointing. First time they’ve ever been “off”. Service was impeccable, but the apps were average and the entrees were fine, but…normally GW Fins is the undisputed treat of the trip. Everything was just…ok. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, After irth said:

In town for the week, slumming at the Ritz-Carlton. Hit Nola Poboys as mandatory first stop on Tuesday. Bar-hopped our way around the Quarter. 

Finally made it to the WWII Museum yesterday. Pretty damn astounding and comprehensive, and it looks like they’re continuing to expand. 

Early res at GW Fins was disappointing. First time they’ve ever been “off”. Service was impeccable, but the apps were average and the entrees were fine, but…normally GW Fins is the undisputed treat of the trip. Everything was just…ok. 

Family and I will be there in 3 weeks on our way to DisneyWorld.  I'd been thinking about the WWII museum.  

4 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Family and I will be there in 3 weeks on our way to DisneyWorld.  I'd been thinking about the WWII museum.  

Do it. Plan for a full day. Or buy the $7 2nd day pass to spread it out. And also spend the extra $$$ to see the movie. 

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

I’ll be there Thursday. I’ve been many times. But looking to mix it up a little. What are y’all’s go to day drinking spots? There are just two of us. The rest of the group doesn’t get in until later.

Bacchanal is the GOAT imo. Bayou Beer and Wine Garden and Bulldog uptown are our defaults otherwise, with Columns, Val’s and Courtyard Brewing as honorable mentions. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Any thoughts?

Clancy’s is a bit of a haul from where you’re likely staying but it’s excellent and they have just enough variety for any group
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’ll be there Thursday. I’ve been many times. But looking to mix it up a little. What are y’all’s go to day drinking spots? There are just two of us. The rest of the group doesn’t get in until later.

So I’m a fan of Frenchman Street…and the Spotted Cat is always a great afternoon drop in…good live music and talented bartenders at the small bar in the back
  • Hook 'Em 2

If you wanna swing over to Garden District then Bulldog on Magazine has a nice patio with misters, good bar food, and chill divey vibe….you can jump off the streetcar at 8th Ave/Harmony (or Washington Ave if you wanna wave to Cmdrs Palace) and just walk right down there.

If you venture over that way and want a late brunch then also *highly* recommend Wakin Bakin on Prytania, right near the St. Charles/Louisiana intersection…much easier/calmer than the trendy Magazine spots and food and service is equally good if not better.

Also, whoever said Columns made an outstanding suggestion, but I think that’s a much better scene for later in the evening.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

So I’m a fan of Frenchman Street…and the Spotted Cat is always a great afternoon drop in…good live music and talented bartenders at the small bar in the back

I downed my weight in Pimm's Cups there just last week while enjoying the Chris Johnson Band.  Was a good time.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, After irth said:

I downed my weight in Pimm's Cups there just last week while enjoying the Chris Johnson Band.  Was a good time.

For day drinking we also tend to head to Frenchman and just pop in multiple spots whenever we hear a good band playing.  Day drinking on Frenchman is one of my favorite things about any NOLA trip

• Hook 'Em 2

Another rec for Columns, which sold in the past couple of years and renovated.  Drinks still really good, great atmosphere.

Before heading to Frenchmen, check when the bars are open.  A lot of the places are only open Thu-Sun starting at 6P, esp after COVID.

A few others I don't think were mentioned...

Our last trip to Hot Tin, the drinks had improved.  Great view of the city.  The bourbon selection downstairs at Bayou Bar is damn good.

One place we just discovered the past couple years is Davenport Lounge, very relaxing and serves up some nice drinks. 

And next trip I need to get back over to Jewel of the South.  They are damn good and it's been too long since our last visit there.

• Hook 'Em 1

I follow this thread and Mrs Mo and I are starting to plan a trip for this fall. Any thoughts on whether late September or early October is better? We'll be going during the week to avoid weekend crowds and hotel prices. Also, I don't recall reading anything about an evening riverboat dinner cruise. Worth it, or just way too touristy? I know the food, and probably the music, won't be as good, but it seems like it would be a fun activity. 

On 5/27/2022 at 11:37 AM, We’reTexas said:

CBD/Warehouse: August, Herbsaint, Josephine Estelle, Gianna, La Boca, Couvant (just reopened under new ownership though and I haven’t tried it yet)

I'm in New Orleans July 6-7 for a Fifth Circuit boondoggle and staying the Hotel Fontenot nearby.  I need a good dinner spot, and Josephine Estelle and Couvant look interesting.

We booked our trip for the 19th thru the 23rd of September. Already have reservations for dinner at GW Finns and La Petite Grocery. Tried Atchafalaya, but it doesn't look like they book this far in advance. Should that be one of the two dinners we have left to book? What other is a can't miss?

On 6/11/2022 at 5:41 PM, Mo Horn said:

I follow this thread and Mrs Mo and I are starting to plan a trip for this fall. Any thoughts on whether late September or early October is better? We'll be going during the week to avoid weekend crowds and hotel prices. Also, I don't recall reading anything about an evening riverboat dinner cruise. Worth it, or just way too touristy? I know the food, and probably the music, won't be as good, but it seems like it would be a fun activity. 

I would go with October just because there's a better chance the weather will be nicer.  A couple of weeks later at that time of the year can be the difference to sweating your ass off and nice, fall weather.  I have always wanted to do a riverboat cruise, but I'm not wasting a meal on one in New Orleans and it looks like they only do dinner cruises.

42 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I would go with October just because there's a better chance the weather will be nicer.  A couple of weeks later at that time of the year can be the difference to sweating your ass off and nice, fall weather.  I have always wanted to do a riverboat cruise, but I'm not wasting a meal on one in New Orleans and it looks like they only do dinner cruises.

We chose September. Hotels were almost twice as expensive for the week we can go. Flights were also more expensive. I love hot weather so that won't bother me. I hear you on the cruise. Not wasting a meal. Plenty of other things to do. 

3 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

We booked our trip for the 19th thru the 23rd of September. Already have reservations for dinner at GW Finns and La Petite Grocery. Tried Atchafalaya, but it doesn't look like they book this far in advance. Should that be one of the two dinners we have left to book? What other is a can't miss?

I've heard their brunch has fallen off a bit per a couple of people and just 'ok' now (and I noticed last time we traveled reservation wasn't difficult at all (and we ended up cancelling to try something new).  Not sure about dinner but curious if anyone else has been recently.

On 6/20/2022 at 12:29 PM, South Austin said:

I'm in New Orleans July 6-7 for a Fifth Circuit boondoggle and staying the Hotel Fontenot nearby.  I need a good dinner spot, and Josephine Estelle and Couvant look interesting.

We tried Josephine Estelle the first time back in December.  It was ok, but we don't feel the need to go back.

Best new (to us) place we've been recently is Zasu.  Really good, highly recommend.

Regarding Atchafalaya, we went there for brunch a couple month ago and was good as always to us.  First time I'd had their burger and it was fan-damn-tastic.

Just now, kevwun said:

I have never been blown away by Atchafalaya.  It's good, but I don't think it was ever as good as Stanley.  Brennan's is our favorite brunch place.  The old school service is great and the food is always amazing.

I've been 3 times.  First 2 were fantastic.  3rd time (first post Covid vax trip in March 21) was good but not great and made us want to branch out.  But since that trip I've heard 1 first timer not impressed and another that had been multiple times pre-Covid that was really let down and she also noticed it wasn't even full anymore for a Sat brunch.  This was just a few months ago.  We did Saint John in the quarter last Christmas based on a rec in this thread and it was awesome.

I have never been blown away by Atchafalaya.  It's good, but I don't think it was ever as good as Stanley.  Brennan's is our favorite brunch place.  The old school service is great and the food is always amazing.

Agree with this.

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Eh, I pretty much always end up going to New Orleans in July and August.  It's when my calendar allows.  No big whoop.

Oh I get it. I’ll be there next week for a short work trip, but I’m not complaining and will gladly take the opportunity for another visit and a great meal.

• Hook 'Em 1

was there last week and had a fanstastic meal at a place i hadn't seen mentioned here, shaya. the fried chicken hummus was incredible. also really enoyed the $5 happy hour old fashioneds at barrel proof.