New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

didn't Shaya lose the chef or something happened in that relationship?  still the same as before?

I loved the Drago's grilled oysters but not a fan of atmosphere at either location so probably wouldn't do it.   if you want seafood, peche is f'n money.  Highly recommend it.  more casual than brigstem or upperline

• Like 1

Okay, I’m probably gonna get negged to bolivia, but Drago’s sucks. Went 2 years ago and was not impressed. Got grilled oysters last year at acme and deanie’s snd they were decent. After seeing all the greatness bestowed on Drago’s on this thread i figured i needed to give it another try. That’s some salty as fuck shitty tasting oysters. Give me raw oysters over that crap any day. 
tl;dr - dragos sucks. Neg me to bolivia. 

You’re wrong.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bularry1 said:

didn't Shaya lose the chef or something happened in that relationship?  still the same as before?

I loved the Drago's grilled oysters but not a fan of atmosphere at either location so probably wouldn't do it.   if you want seafood, peche is f'n money.  Highly recommend it.  more casual than brigstem or upperline

Agreed on all of this.  Peche is great...can't say it enough, get the whole fish. 

Upperline and Brigtsen's aren't quite as casual, but not super fancy either.  Both damn good too.

Alon Shaya had the well-documented falling out (lawsuit, settlement, etc.) with Besh.  Besh still owns Shaya and have heard it's still good/the same.  In May (I think), Shaya opened his new place, Saba, further up Magazine and have not yet been yet, but have heard it's good as well.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hobbs said:

Agreed on all of this.  Peche is great...can't say it enough, get the whole fish. 

Upperline and Brigtsen's aren't quite as casual, but not super fancy either.  Both damn good too.

Alon Shaya had the well-documented falling out (lawsuit, settlement, etc.) with Besh.  Besh still owns Shaya and have heard it's still good/the same.  In May (I think), Shaya opened his new place, Saba, further up Magazine and have not yet been yet, but have heard it's good as well.

Yep, Peche, Brigtsen's, Upperline all outstanding.  Jumbo shrimp and sticky rice dish at Peche is really good.

Shaya is owned by BRG (Besh Restaurant Group) and, ironically, Besh is no longer part of BRG.  He left after the sexual harassment shit went down.

I've still got a resentment about Irene's being closed this week. . .and some concern about being in New Orleans the same week as Essence festival.

Talking to my fiancee cousin who is the Otis elevator sales guy for new Orleans and he's telling me horror stories. People cooking on hibachi grills in their rooms at even the poshest hotels. Sheraton had to renovate 20 rooms every year the week after essence. Restaurants going on vacation because it doesn't make financial sense to open for clientele who dine and dash or don't tip when they do pay their bill. /noracist.

Walked into Saba a few minutes ago to check out the menu while the wimmin were shopping. Looks really good, family style dinner entrees for around $55.

Had iced coffee au lait and beignets at morning call and now walking out of sucré in a sugar coma.
  • Like 1

On 7/2/2018 at 8:27 PM, Stunns38 said:

They were ok but better since they were free. Oh, they were free since we saw a fucking roach on the wall and the waiter was so embarrassed, we got our 3 dozen grilled oysters comped. Not a CSB

I mean, if you said "You have to see a roach on a wall, then you get $60 worth of Drago's grilled oysters for free", it would take me about 0.0001 second to accept.

• Like 2

Thoughts on Atchafalaya?

Outstanding. Blue crab and shitake mushroom ravioli, pork charcuterie board with kimchee and sauerkraut, pan fried chicken with boudin rice and greens, pan grilled cobia with potatoes, blue cheese flan, and bread pudding.

365ff3c76784203b20b21791c39cbc9f.jpg48212319dd8845b746ce3018b444d491.jpg95d273076e417d72d7908d21842638b5.jpgbed7726dcf27eb61ab9d336c23bfda4f.jpg78c5d13a718de7a4885a478703231aaf.jpgb2416a06aaf9dea2e05d54955690a502.jpg

Wish I tried the turtle and alligator sausage gumbo, but I had to draw the line somewhere.

Staying on the west bank 2 blocks from the river in Algiers Pointe, seems like I've crossed the hwy 90 bridge 10 times since Wednesday. Seriously thinking about buying this 200 year old house from my great aunt in law.

• Like 3

Yeah, I forgot to come back and post but Atchafalaya brunch was probably my favorite overall meal of our trip (also including Mr. B's, Revolution, Shaya, Peche).  All were solid but Atchafalaya shrimp and grits + Bloody Mary bar hit the spot.

• Like 1

I have a bunch of Wyndham reward points that are going to expire on me so I booked four nights over Thanksgiving weekend in New Orleans.  I chose NO because we can drive from Austin instead of flying.  In other words I'm Dutch.  I just realized that that weekend is The Bayou Classic - Grambling State and Southern University.  We just wanted to chill, eat some good food, and go to the WWII museum.  I spent a weekend in the French Quarter during the Essence Festive in the 90's so this type of event isn't going to keep me away necessarily.   But back then I was young, high, and very drunk - which is a great way to go through life.  Now I'm old, sober, and with my wife.  Should we reconsider?  

If we reconsider, do any of you have a suggestion for a nice Wyndham property within driving distance of Austin?  We' would consider San Antonio Riverwalk but we've done that so many times. 

You will be fine. Restaurants and museums will be empty, there are just more crowds in the streets.

Ate a Luke two nights ago and thought it was ok. Service was bizarre “extreme fajita and jalapeño popper” guys. When I ordered another glass of wine he yelled “daddy’s kicking it into second”!!! I thought I was on a hidden camera show.

Loved everything about shaya last night. Even with only two people we were able to order quite a few dishes and they were all great. Service was great.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

You will be fine. Restaurants and museums will be empty, there are just more crowds in the streets.

Ate a Luke two nights ago and thought it was ok. Service was bizarre “extreme fajita and jalapeño popper” guys. When I ordered another glass of wine he yelled “daddy’s kicking it into second”!!! I thought I was on a hidden camera show.

Loved everything about shaya last night. Even with only two people we were able to order quite a few dishes and they were all great. Service was great.

Lolol at that comment

2 hours ago, BottleRocket said:

I have a bunch of Wyndham reward points that are going to expire on me so I booked four nights over Thanksgiving weekend in New Orleans.  I chose NO because we can drive from Austin instead of flying.  In other words I'm Dutch.  I just realized that that weekend is The Bayou Classic - Grambling State and Southern University.  We just wanted to chill, eat some good food, and go to the WWII museum.  I spent a weekend in the French Quarter during the Essence Festive in the 90's so this type of event isn't going to keep me away necessarily.   But back then I was young, high, and very drunk - which is a great way to go through life.  Now I'm old, sober, and with my wife.  Should we reconsider?  

If we reconsider, do any of you have a suggestion for a nice Wyndham property within driving distance of Austin?  We' would consider San Antonio Riverwalk but we've done that so many times. 

stay out of the quarter, you won't even notice.

On 7/12/2018 at 11:47 AM, BearSchlong said:

The accident has not affected tonight’s dinner service (the special is rice flour-fried soft shell crab with habanero and sweet potato hot sauce).

Can't leave out the important details.

Edited by Redneck Mutha
  • Like 1

Wife and I heading there today with four kids for vacation. Got a pretty solid plan of the usual tourist stuff (swamp tour, ghost tour, aquarium, WWII Museum, Jackson Square etc etc ).

Food wise: Willie Mae’s , Cade Du Monde,Sucre, Johnny’s , Stanley and Dragos are on the list. Probably squeeze in Cochon.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Finns was on point again last weekend as always.  

Found a new hole in the wall bar, the Chart Room.  Owned by the same guy that just bought Little Bar on Gravier(formerly known as Chuck's).  

Erin Rose is a good place for the Irish Coffee.  First time I had walked in there sober.  

Funny - I know Mike (Chart Room owner) and talked to him the day before they closed on Chuck's

He's a great operator.  He managed some restaurants around there for years and decided dive bars were more lucrative with fewer headaches.

Chart Room is a cool little place.  

• Like 1