New Orleans Food and Drink Thread

ERhine

Going to New Orleans for the first time in October and staying just off Frenchman. We’ll be with 2 other couples and celebrating my wife’s 30th - first time for my wife and I. I think for the most part, we’re looking for low key places with great food, but will likely do one or two nice meals. Any recommendations? GW Fins and Shaya look like they get a lot of praise here. Also will have to do Café du Monde.

That leaves 2 dinners (one with just the wife - so somewhere nice) and a few breakfasts / lunches. 

Also bars / music must stops would be appreciated.

18 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

These are both correct.  

cosign.

Coffee and fried sugar dough amongst the wretched dregs of humanity, while trying to decide whether you commit to trying to stave off a hangover, or whether you say fuck it and drink some more.....well, that's the magic hour in NOLA.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

cosign.

Coffee and fried sugar dough amongst the wretched dregs of humanity, while trying to decide whether you commit to trying to stave off a hangover, or whether you say fuck it and drink some more.....well, that's the magic hour in NOLA.

True that but hopefully most peeps over 30 who have been around the block know better and go the savory route at 4 am drunk in the french quarter and not the huge pile of sugar that will make you feel oh so good the next day with all that alcohol in your belly. 

7 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

^^^. That’s Verti Marte time. 

Damn, love me some  Verti Marte.

7 minutes ago, LonghornGoodfella said:

True that but hopefully most peeps over 30 who have been around the block know better and go the savory route at 4 am drunk in the french quarter and not the huge pile of sugar that will make you feel oh so good the next day with all that alcohol in your belly. 

Oh.....so you're one of those folks who expects us to make GOOD decisions at 4:00 a.m. in NOLA?  Aren't you special?

If you're looking for a really good breakfast in the Quarter, try Curio.  It's relatively new and is a block down from Monteleone. 

We went for breakfast a few weeks ago and our whole party loved it.  The bourbon milk punch might be the best I've had, although I've not had the one at Bourbon House.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bigcigar said:

Going to New Orleans for the first time in October and staying just off Frenchman. We’ll be with 2 other couples and celebrating my wife’s 30th - first time for my wife and I. I think for the most part, we’re looking for low key places with great food, but will likely do one or two nice meals. Any recommendations? GW Fins and Shaya look like they get a lot of praise here. Also will have to do Café du Monde.

That leaves 2 dinners (one with just the wife - so somewhere nice) and a few breakfasts / lunches. 

Restaurant Rebirth in the Warehouse district.  Read the reviews.  The food is incredible.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LonghornGoodfella said:

Those hot dog carts come in handy sometimes...

On 8/23/2018 at 8:38 AM, bigcigar said:

Peche is a great spot for a small group. As is Cochon. Any Donald Link spot really. Cochon for lunch should be an obvious. Good food for lunch w/ no frills in the quarter - go to Coop's Place. 

For a single special occasion dinner with just your wife, I'd recommend Commander's Palace. It doesn't get more special occasion than CP. Dress up, splurge. It's worth it. It's not super close to where you're staying but you can head that way early and walk around the Garden District or walk off your dinner afterwards before heading back to Frenchman.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I've never understood Commander's Palace.  Feels like it got stuck in 1988 and never evolved.

It's been a few years since I've been....but the timelessness of it is kinda what makes it great.  Just some stuff that is executed on a perfect level.  Their turtle soup is one of the single best things I've had anywhere in the world.  And the bread pudding souffle is my favorite dessert of all time.

And, yeah.  An old house.  Jacket required.  The Judge Minor Wisdom room.  It's unapologetically old-school.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

It's been a few years since I've been....but the timelessness of it is kinda what makes it great.  Just some stuff that is executed on a perfect level.  Their turtle soup is one of the single best things I've had anywhere in the world.  And the bread pudding souffle is my favorite dessert of all time.

And, yeah.  An old house.  Jacket required.  The Judge Minor Wisdom room.  It's unapologetically old-school.

I know you don’t mean it that way, but that’s not fair to the place. Tory McPhail is one of best chefs in the southeast, and Ella Brennan worked to keep it innovative for decades (they began doing “farm to table” in the ‘80’s). It’s a high-level restaurant ensconced in what your notion of what New Orleans should be, which is a challenging task. 

Also $0.25 martinis. 

Edited by We’reTexas
  • Like 1

I know you don’t mean it that way, but that’s not fair to the place. Tory McPhail is one of best chefs in the southeast, and Ella Brennan worked to keep it innovative for decades (they began doing “farm to table” in the ‘80’s). It’s a high-level restaurant ensconced in what your notion of what New Orleans should be, which is a challenging task. 
Also $0.25 martinis. 

Yeah, it’s not what I meant at all, but wasn’t gonna write a novel. And yes, they walk that perfect balance between classic and up to date. But they aren’t caught up in adjectives - they’re about the execution.

A few years ago my wife and I went to Commander’s palace on a whim. It was on a Saturday morning with no reservation. As soon as the maître d’ saw us he said “welcome back” and immediately took us to a simi-private room upstairs. I have no idea who he thought we were but that was pretty cool.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Cool, thanks. I have lunch at Commander’s at 12:30 today. Can I get away with jeans and a blazer, or have to be slacks/khakis too? My wife is insisting on the latter...

Dress Code

• Business Attire
  • Jackets are preferred for gentlemen
  • Collared shirts and closed-toe shoes required for gentlemen
  • No shorts, flip-flops, t-shirts, sweat shirts or sweat pants
  • Jeans are discouraged; ripped jeans are not allowed