Archeology/geology/fossils meta-thread

13 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Lloyd's Bank Coprolite, also known as the largest fossilized human turd ever found. A Viking took this shit.

bz6lv4ooofy91.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/lloyds-bank-coprolite

THIS PIECE OF FOSSILIZED VIKING poop is so well-preserved, one paleoscatologist called it as “precious as the crown jewels.” Archaeologists have dated the dung back to the ninth century, when what’s now York was ruled by Norse warrior-kings.

Paleoscatologists determined that the human who deposited this now-renowned, seven-inch specimen had a diet of meat and bread. Unfortunately for that poor, long-dead soul, they also had a handful of intestinal issues. The scat was scattered with Whipworm and Maw-worm eggs, which would have caused stomach aches and other more unfortunate gastrointestinal symptoms.

I have two pieces of dinosaur coprolite on my desk, but that one would be a tad more appropriate.  Hmmm.

• 10 months later...

But this was why I was posting and probably wrong thread  1,500 years old.

https://www.livescience.com/archaeology/gold-find-of-the-century-metal-detectorist-in-norway-discovers-massive-cache-of-jewelry

An amateur metal detectorist has unearthed what experts are calling Norway's largest gold treasure find this century.

Erlend Bore, a 51-year-old Norwegian man, discovered the bounty — which contained nine pendants with "rare" gold symbols, three gold rings and 10 gold pearls — earlier this summer while exploring Rennesøy, a private island off the southwestern coast of the country, according to a translated statement.

During his expedition, which was approved by the private landowner, Bore didn't expect to find much. But then his newly purchased metal detector started beeping as he traced it back and forth above the soil. A quick dig revealed an old wrapper from a chocolate bar. But then he spotted a lump protruding from the dirt.

"I was suddenly sitting with a gold treasure in my hands," Bore told the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation (NRK), a Norwegian government-owned radio and TV public station. "There were lots of little gold pearls. Here it was important to get everything and not lose anything."

230908-norway-detectorist-gold-mb-0810-8

230908-norway-detectorist-gold-mb-0809-6

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

23 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Hmmm... Found on a "Private Island." Totally NOT dug up somewhere else on public land, then replanted and found on a private island.