Dallas Nostalgia Picture Thread

Assman

For years the talk was the land Texas Stadium stood on was super valuable for all types of development. Since the stadium was torn down absolutely nothing has gone in on that property.

That’s because TxDoT has it for something like 10 years as staging for all the massive road construction that has gone on right around there.

13 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Poser.

Pugh, Bethea, Martin, Hill (? I thought he was taller), Richards, Johnson, Saldi, Pearson, DuPree

Cole, Donovan (either him or 67), ??, Andre (?), Rafferty (or 64), Scott, Wright, ?, Jones

Bruenig, White, Henderson, ?, Hegman, Brown, ?, ?, Fitzgerald

Thurman, Dorsett, Laidlaw, Waters, Hughes, Harris, Newhouse, Washington, Lewis

Septien, White, Staubach, Carano, Dennison (?), ?, Kyle, Pearson, Barnes.

Dad used to take me to McDonald's every year on the first day those came out.

Used to play a game with buddies called "home of"....  "Rafael Septien..home of? " (other person then names their college) "SW Louisiana."   "Glenn Carano, home of"..."UNLV"

csb I guess. 

On 4/1/2018 at 6:05 PM, Surly Bevo said:

Yep, all I remember was it was this artsy fartsy craft fair type place.  Which when you are about 10 years old is the last place in the world you want to be at say 2pm on a spring Saturday.

They used to have a great militaria shop in there.  About once a year, I'd convince my mom to schlep me over there from Arlington so I could buy some medals.  I recall there were old German WWII helmets for $75, which seemed astronomical at the time.

On 4/2/2018 at 7:28 AM, Assman said:

As a kid, I moved to Dallas from SA in '91, so my Arlington Stadium memories are limited, but wasn't there a tunnel south of DFW around AA Headquarters?  I remember we had to drive through a tunnel at some point to get to Arlington.

Yes.  It was the runway for the old Greater Southwest Airport.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Southwest_International_Airport

On 4/2/2018 at 10:00 PM, Constant said:

300px-Reunion_Arena.jpg

29254e20.jpg

I miss this old bird. The atmosphere at the AAC doesn't even come close. 

Saw 1 Mavs game and 2 Billy Joel Concerts at RA. 

On 4/3/2018 at 12:25 AM, futureman said:

texas16_bottom.jpg

First game I attended was against the Bengals(of all teams) 1979, Roger's last season.  Had the "sun seats" a few times afterwards but loved each visit there, last game was vs. the Broncos on Tday during the Campo stint. 

I might be off by a year or two, but I candistinctly recall Tears for Fears blasting throughout the park as we excitedly hurried through the tunnel at the front of the park.

edit:  meant to add.  This would have been around ‘85.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

White Water had the cliff slides in the deep end. Just a little ledge you’d slide down. Also had a kickass pirate ship you could climb on with rope ladders and water cannons. Used to try to shoot people off ladders with those. Had a kickass birthday there complete with an Optimus Prime cake. 
Was it White Water or Wet n Wild that had the White Lightning slides that were really fast?

Pretty sure it was White Water.

I think I've asked this before and got an answer but it's escaping me now. Does anyone remember an indoor water slide place. I think it was in Oak Cliff but I'm not sure. 

I'll of course pour one out for the GOAT. A 70mm THX screening was always a revelation. 

fe8438dab224a12edb0a7923ff69ce18.jpg

Edited by mdmost

36 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I think I've asked this before and got an answer but it's escaping me now. Does anyone remember an indoor water slide place. I think it was in Oak Cliff but I'm not sure. 

I'll of course pour one out for the GOAT. A 70mm THX screening was always a revelation. 

God that was such a great place to see a movie.  So many memories.   

There was an indoor water slide at NorthTown Mall at Webb Chapel and 635 for a bit in the 80's.  

On 4/6/2018 at 10:25 AM, mdmost said:

I saw Jurassic Park with my dad at 3 and 4.  great stuff

5 hours ago, Gucci_Suit said:

300?cb=20150703064521

you guys ever go to the short lived sesame place? I loved this joint. 

Hell yeah, I do.

We went when I was about 7, so my sister was about 2.  I went down some slide onto a mat or something, and my father went down behind me with my sister riding on his lap.  Somehow, he went onto his side, and with a toddler in his arms had to break his fall/slide with his elbow rather than his hands.  He sliced his elbow up so badly that we had to cut short our trip to Sesame Place in favor of a trip to the emergency room.

Good times.

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

Yes there was a piss ball pit, and a pretty awesome zip line.  Plus I recall something you got wet doing.

Exactly. It’s had a piss ball pit with a rope web over it that you could climb on. 

They also had a big wheel race where I would wreck fools all the time. I loved it. 

On 4/1/2018 at 8:26 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Not Dragon's Tail.  The really high one in the middle that had three slides.  I think 2 required inner tubes.  One of the slides was pitch-dark - it may have been called the "Black Hole".  Anyway, I recall not being too fond of making the climb up the stairs because the damn thing swayed in the wind.

Y'all remember the inner tube ride on the far side of the park?  It was awesome.  You'd go down in steps, spend some time in a pool, then a life guard would push you on your way.  The finale was a very large and wide concrete drop.

It was the black hole, but I thought that was the Wet n Wild in Arlington?  

11 hours ago, Shmitty said:

It was the black hole, but I thought that was the Wet n Wild in Arlington?  

Could have been one at both.  I think I only went to Wet n Wild once or twice, after Garland’s Whitewater closed.  The slide(s) I’m speaking of we’re in Garland, middle of the park, required inner tubes, and the dang thing swayed when it was windy.  One had 3 choices: pitch black (black hole?), and two others but a can’t recall what the difference was between the other two.

btw, my brothers and I got kicked out of the park once.  I had found a way to stop on the first turn of the “green” slide.  So I’d go first, stop, wait for brothers to catch up, then we’d fight all the way down.  We were warned then booted after not following the warnings.

Don't think I ever went to Whitewater, but I was a Wet n Wild regular in 7th and 8th grade.  The Black Hole was the spaceship looking slide that you went down in a 2-person tube.  Then there were the 3 big slides on the other side of the park:  Der Stuka, Geronimo, and Bomb something (the trap door one). 

On 4/12/2018 at 1:05 PM, Ghost of LL said:

Hell yeah, I do.

We went when I was about 7, so my sister was about 2.  I went down some slide onto a mat or something, and my father went down behind me with my sister riding on his lap.  Somehow, he went onto his side, and with a toddler in his arms had to break his fall/slide with his elbow rather than his hands.  He sliced his elbow up so badly that we had to cut short our trip to Sesame Place in favor of a trip to the emergency room.

Good times.

Sesame Place had a gigantic cargo net with multiple tiered levels. I imagine it now the size of a 4 story parking garage. Maybe it was not that large but it was pretty high up there towards the top.

• 4 years later...
On 4/1/2018 at 9:14 AM, markstanco said:

39b27f93-af07-4ce2-bc4a-d53c49f8865b_d.jpg

Screw it can't get it to work as pic

Fun necro bump.

6 games into my indoor soccer season before I realize that I'm playing in the same building where Pennywhistle Park used to be.  I was going to post a pic before I saw this post.  The sign in this pic is far more rusted and less visible today.  I didn't notice it until my mom came to watch one of my games and pointed it out.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

On 4/15/2018 at 10:52 PM, number6 said:

Greater Fort Worth International Airport

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/TX/Airfields_TX_FtWorth_NE.htm

pretty cool site  ..

necro reply since this went to the top.

That sketch up in the link is interesting in the fact that the runways is just over 4000 feet long. In comparison current day DFW is 13,000 feet long and local munis for towns of 5000 people at at the 4000 feet mark. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Since this thread has expanded into Arlington, I submit Old Kow Bell Rodeo in a Mansfield...1959 -2004 - demolished around 2005 now Mansfield Legacy High school sits where Kow Bell once stood. At the time, the only indoor Rodeo in the world to have rodeos every Sat night year round. In Junior High our parents would drop us off for the Saturday night rodeo not knowing that we were actually entering the junior steer riding...My short Bull riding career ended with a kick to my chin that required stitches which ruined our whole gig when all the parents found out :$EDF5B91E-D23B-4EA5-835B-EB6C5FCBA595.thumb.png.6f697354342344b98c417d11a88ac7bf.png

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:
Fun necro bump.
6 games into my indoor soccer season before I realize that I'm playing in the same building where Pennywhistle Park used to be.  I was going to post a pic before I saw this post.  The sign in this pic is far more rusted and less visible today.  I didn't notice it until my mom came to watch one of my games and pointed it out.

image.png.1647cf470ee9ff83b1bd67eb2327e426.png

Edited by gsoda3
  • Haha 2

On 4/16/2018 at 2:48 PM, futureman said:

1202goffslenin-300x181.jpg?w=1200&h=630&

harv1.jpg

Lenin-statue.jpg

Going way, way back. long ago, immediately to the east of Goff's on Lovers, was Mrs. Goff's ice cream.

According to my Mom, Harvey's parents were among the sweetest people alive and the original proprietors of Goff's Hamburgers and the ice cream "parlor" next door.

Harvey seemed to remember my parents from back in the day and never fucked with them, or me.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, JCHIL said:

Since this thread has expanded into Arlington, I submit Old Kow Bell Rodeo in a Mansfield...1959 -2004 - demolished around 2005 now Mansfield Legacy High school sits where Kow Bell once stood. At the time, the only indoor Rodeo in the world to have rodeos every Sat night year round. In Junior High our parents would drop us off for the Saturday night rodeo not knowing that we were actually entering the junior steer riding...My short Bull riding career ended with a kick to my chin that required stitches which ruined our whole gig when all the parents found out :$EDF5B91E-D23B-4EA5-835B-EB6C5FCBA595.thumb.png.6f697354342344b98c417d11a88ac7bf.png

Isn't that where Walt Garrison went to pick up a little cash until Tex Schramm found out?

Since this thread has been somewhat revived, I'll add the following.  Disclaimer:  Apologies for any repeats.  I'm not going back through this thread.

• Love Field used to have an ice skating rink.  I have the faintest of memories of skating there.  I was probably about 4.
  • Kip's Big Boy in Richardson.  I grew up about half a mile away.  (My back yard actually faced Central.)  Too bad we were poors and only ate there once.
  • Pipe Organ's Pizza at Coit and Beltline.  
  • Casa Bonita in Arlington(?).  I think there's still one open in Denver.
  • The original Cave ride at Six Flags w/ the creepy elves.
  • KZEW graffiti on side of the bridge going north on Central past 635.
  • KVIL fantasy contest.  I can't recall the actual name, but everyone in DFW got a mailer which had something like 10 rows X 5 prizes.  If your code was called you got to pick from the row for which your number matched.  The prizes were extremely extravagant, so I doubt anyone ever won.  My brothers and I were convinced we'd win each year, so we'd argue over what we'd pick as the prize.
  • Again, more localized to Richardson, but there was a large snowman they'd set up in the parking lot of Beltline and Central each Xmas season.  I think it was a Santa picture place.
  • The Fire Museum - located ironically - near the Wax Museum in Arlington.  
  • Hook 'Em 2

54 minutes ago, Matuka said:

Isn't that where Walt Garrison went to pick up a little cash until Tex Schramm found out?

I’m not sure about Walt Garrison...very possible but I know for a fact Donny Gay (8 time PRCA bull riding champ)  got his start there.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:
  • Love Field used to have an ice skating rink.  I have the faintest of memories of skating there.  I was probably about 4.

After it was shut down post-DFW, it became an indoor amusement park called Lloves.  It did indeed have an ice rink, and a bunch of other stuff, like bumper cars, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Matuka said:

Mesquite Rodeo, more likely.  Actually a fairly high profile PRCA venue for a while.

Also, inasmuch as Neal Gay founded the Mesquite Rodeo, and Donny grew up there, I'm pretty sure that was his home arena.

Edited by TwiceHorn