Dallas Nostalgia Picture Thread

Assman

4 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

Fuck, I miss Goffs, It was my uncles favorite place. If I was hanging with my cousins, he would take us every day. 

Didn't hold a candle to Chuck's Hamburgers in Richardson, but still good.

It still exists.  It was on Hillcrest across from SMU until the building burned,  Now it's on Mockingbird just west of Central.

They have or had a lot of shit from the Lovers location and it was a very faithful reproduction.  I havent been to the latest incarnation.

Harvey had his own place for a while at Preston and LBJ, also very similar, but it closed during Covid.  The photo above with Harvey in it is actually of that joint.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Good bump. A few things:

I could be wrong but wasn't the Garland White Water just renamed Wet n' Wild later after a corporate sale or whatnot? Also, the three-tubed big slide in the middle was comprised of the Black Hole, Caribbean Cannonball, and....? But for my money, nothing beat a leisurely splash down the Body Flumes. Mostly because you could stand up near the final stretch and get taken out by your friend who was riding after you. csb: A week or so after the end of 6th grade, my school district rented it out one night so that all student crossing guards (a highly sought-after position) from all the elementary schools got to have the place to ourselves. It was epic and the scene of many awkward first time boob encounters... /nopedo

Next door was Sears Driving School where I got my permit and did all the driving practices/test. If you know the intersection of LBJ & Centerville, it was and still is a nightmare cluster of awful fast merging traffic. Couldn't have been a worse place for a bunch of 15 year olds to learn to drive.

Science Place at Fair Park - spent the night there a few times for scouts I believe.

Also scout related, did anyone do the flight simulator at DFW?

A little before my time but older brother had friends in a few bands that played Arcadia. Romeo and the Dreamers anyone?

Looking back, I don't understand how dozens of limbs and appendages weren't lost annually at Penny Whistle Park.

Approximately 98% of the total revenue taken in at Vikon Village was related to fake IDs.

Championship Sunday which was usually Easter at the Dallas Cup when it was at LHHS stadium. I remember the Mexican teams all had throngs of family and friends following them into the stadium carrying huge crosses and easter regalia and going nuts. In fact, I need to post something to the Ukraine thread about something related I found in the attic recently...

I'll think of more I'm sure.

• Hook 'Em 4

Yeah, White Water had two locations. The one in Garland and one in Grand Prairie. I believe White Water went bankrupt and was bought out by Wet N Wild. The rumor around our school was the pipes at the Grand Prairie location had cement poured in them which necessitated the move to Arlington across from Six Flags. No clue if that's true or not but it did sit empty for years before being torn down. There's a car dealership sitting on the site of it now. That Garland White Water had so many hazardous rides with sharp edges. We used to wear shirts on the White Lightning because it would scrape up our backs. It's a real wonder more people didn't drown there. There's a great documentary on the most dangerous water/theme park in the US which was located in New Jersey called Class Action Park. It had water rides that mirrored the ones at White Water. 

I did Driver's Ed at that same Sears Driving School. It was ridiculous as the cars they had us learning to drive in were early 90s Camaros or some other similar type sports car. Way too much power for you to have as a 15 year old learning how to drive. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

We used to wear shirts on the White Lightning because it would scrape up our backs. It's a real wonder more people didn't drown there.

I remember the name but can't recall what White Lightning looked like.

Dragon's Tail was the beatdown for me. I can still feel the seams of the pipe pieces intermittently scraping me raw.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

i loved that big boy.  what was the fire museum?

My mom worked at National Child Care off Campbell Rd in the eary 80's.  So, I spent my summers there.  She bought a book called something like 101 Cheap Things to Do in Dallas.  We spent a couple of summers driving 2 vans all over DFW in an effort to entertain the kids.  I was 6 or so.

One place we went was the Fire Museum.  It was located near the Wax Museum, but further off I30.  I believe there was a Safari park nearby.  The museum contained exhibits related to fire safety, fire men, etc.  All I remember was something about Smoky the Bear and a place where one could climb up a replica fire tower.  (The kind rangers use to observe the surrounding wilderness and spot fires.)

13 minutes ago, Jackson P. Neighbors said:

I remember the name but can't recall what White Lightning looked like.

Dragon's Tail was the beatdown for me. I can still feel the seams of the pipe pieces intermittently scraping me raw.

I think it was the open one that had hills. There's not a lot of good pictures from it but you can see it at the very top of this picture. If I remember the layout of the park, the ship was the top left. The long slides like the White Lightning where the top. The wave pool is on the right. The middle was the giant enclosed water slide. The bottom was the more adult and older kid area as it was deep water and diving areas. The awesome tub rides were either on the right by the entrance or the bottom left. One of them was an open slide and then it would just drop you into the deep end. We had season passes and it was awesome. I remember that motel over there and thought that would be a cool vacation if you were just going to White Water over and over. 

My mom took a lot of photos when we were kids but they're very disorganized at her house. I've asked her to go through them and pull out any from White Water.

DdP33heV0AEirpl?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Yeah, White Water had two locations. The one in Garland and one in Grand Prairie. I believe White Water went bankrupt and was bought out by Wet N Wild. The rumor around our school was the pipes at the Grand Prairie location had cement poured in them which necessitated the move to Arlington across from Six Flags. No clue if that's true or not but it did sit empty for years before being torn down. There's a car dealership sitting on the site of it now. That Garland White Water had so many hazardous rides with sharp edges. We used to wear shirts on the White Lightning because it would scrape up our backs. It's a real wonder more people didn't drown there. There's a great documentary on the most dangerous water/theme park in the US which was located in New Jersey called Class Action Park. It had water rides that mirrored the ones at White Water. 

I did Driver's Ed at that same Sears Driving School. It was ridiculous as the cars they had us learning to drive in were early 90s Camaros or some other similar type sports car. Way too much power for you to have as a 15 year old learning how to drive. 

Damn.  We prob crossed paths at some point.  Same issues at White Water; same Sears driver's ed spot.  I recall those cars.

Also shoutout to @Beau Vine.  I believe Sandy Lake had an RV park either in or next to it.  My brothers and I stayed with my grandparents there one summer and got to go to Sandy Lake multiple days.

2 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

My mom worked at National Child Care off Campbell Rd in the eary 80's.  So, I spent my summers there.  She bought a book called something like 101 Cheap Things to Do in Dallas.  We spent a couple of summers driving 2 vans all over DFW in an effort to entertain the kids.  I was 6 or so.

One place we went was the Fire Museum.  It was located near the Wax Museum, but further off I30.  I believe there was a Safari park nearby.  The museum contained exhibits related to fire safety, fire men, etc.  All I remember was something about Smoky the Bear and a place where one could climb up a replica fire tower.  (The kind rangers use to observe the surrounding wilderness and spot fires.)

There was a cool Firemen's Museum right next to Fair Park. We went there with my daycare/summer camp. Other highlights, the Coca Cola Bottling Plant on Lemmon Road, Good Times Skating Rink on Oates Road in Garland near the Garland Wave Pool, and a small 2 screen theater off Walnut St in Garland that showed old Disney movies. I think we did the skating rink every Wednesday and the theater every Thursday. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I think it was the open one that had hills. There's not a lot of good pictures from it but you can see it at the very top of this picture. If I remember the layout of the park, the ship was the top left. The long slides like the White Lightning where the top. The wave pool is on the right. The middle was the giant enclosed water slide. The bottom was the more adult and older kid area as it was deep water and diving areas. The awesome tub rides were either on the right by the entrance or the bottom left. One of them was an open slide and then it would just drop you into the deep end. We had season passes and it was awesome. I remember that motel over there and thought that would be a cool vacation if you were just going to White Water over and over. 

DdP33heV0AEirpl?format=jpg&name=small

I swear this place had the best inner tube ride of all time.  Lower left of the pic.  You'd start pretty high up, then end up in a succession of large pools on the way down.  Life guards would have to push you on to the next part of the slide.  The last part was a super wide, concrete ramp that had to have produced multiple concussions each day.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I swear this place had the best inner tube ride of all time.  Lower left of the pic.  You'd start pretty high up, then end up in a succession of large pools on the way down.  Life guards would have to push you on to the next part of the slide.  The last part was a super wide, concrete ramp that had to have produced multiple concussions each day.

I remember that one now. Was it named something like roaring rapids or something related to a canyon? 

Also, in mdmosts aerial pic, unless I'm totally mixing things up, I'm pretty sure that partial slice of a building on the far left is the World's Shittiest Grandy's, which I ate at often and hold dear in my heart. Also only Grandy's I've ever eaten at, not coincidentally.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jackson P. Neighbors said:

I remember that one now. Was it named something like roaring rapids or something related to a canyon? 

Also, in mdmosts aerial pic, unless I'm totally mixing things up, I'm pretty sure that partial slice of a building on the far left is the World's Shittiest Grandy's, which I ate at often and hold dear in my heart. Also only Grandy's I've ever eaten at, not coincidentally.

https://goo.gl/maps/8kYDtT6yzmHW5MGP9

The motel is still there. The whole area is now a Carmax. 

If you want a treasure trove of old Six Flags photos, check out this guy's photostream

https://www.flickr.com/photos/durotar/with/6115447418/

He has some White Water pictures but I think that's the Grand Prairie one. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jackson P. Neighbors said:

My middle brother - with the photographic memory - affirmed that the ride was called the Roaring Rapids.  It's the very last pic (on the right) in @mdmost post.

7 hours ago, Jackson P. Neighbors said:

Good bump. A few things:

I could be wrong but wasn't the Garland White Water just renamed Wet n' Wild later after a corporate sale or whatnot? Also, the three-tubed big slide in the middle was comprised of the Black Hole, Caribbean Cannonball, and....? But for my money, nothing beat a leisurely splash down the Body Flumes. Mostly because you could stand up near the final stretch and get taken out by your friend who was riding after you. csb: A week or so after the end of 6th grade, my school district rented it out one night so that all student crossing guards (a highly sought-after position) from all the elementary schools got to have the place to ourselves. It was epic and the scene of many awkward first time boob encounters... /nopedo

Next door was Sears Driving School where I got my permit and did all the driving practices/test. If you know the intersection of LBJ & Centerville, it was and still is a nightmare cluster of awful fast merging traffic. Couldn't have been a worse place for a bunch of 15 year olds to learn to drive.

Science Place at Fair Park - spent the night there a few times for scouts I believe.

1) My two brothers and I got kicked out of Wet n Wild once after we figured out a way to stop after the first turn, then wrestle the rest of the way down.  We called it the Green Slide.

2) That's where I got my permit as well.  I'd take the DART from Garland High to a Long John Silvers, eat a tray of crumbles (I was poor and, I think, they were 25 cents at the time), then walk over to Sears.  IIRC, they showed, essentially, a Faces of Death video of car wrecks towards the end of the session.

3) I was just about to add something about the Science Place.  I think I went there as a scout as well.  (Gonna be funny if we find out we know each other.)  My two favorite parts were the potential/kinetic energy bike exhibit and a "virtual reality" exhibit.  Well, at least what virtual reality was at the time.  It was a room designed for those taking long space voyages to simulate Earth sounds and noises.  

• Hook 'Em 1

We went with the Cub Scouts. They had a seemingly endless warehouse full of vintage fire engines.

There was a cool Firemen's Museum right next to Fair Park. We went there with my daycare/summer camp. Other highlights, the Coca Cola Bottling Plant on Lemmon Road, Good Times Skating Rink on Oates Road in Garland near the Garland Wave Pool, and a small 2 screen theater off Walnut St in Garland that showed old Disney movies. I think we did the skating rink every Wednesday and the theater every Thursday. 

The first you mention is the Dallas Fire Museum and it’s still there. We had one of Chad Jr’s birthday parties there and the folks who run it couldn’t have been nicer. They had tons of stuff the littles could play with and uniforms to try on etc.
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

DSC08535.JPG

We went there twice for middle school band competition. Perform some songs, go have lunch, ride in the back of the little dipper so you can throw it all up, and then hang out in a paddle boat while trying to sink your competition into the lake.

This thread got it in my head that maybe we should check out that old Wet N Wild in Arlington since it's the last weekend before school starts meaning summer break is over. I mean I went there as a kid, it's probably still fun. What a piece of shit is has become as Hurricane Harbor. I swear anything Six Flags touches turns to shit. Half the rides were closed. They charge you $15 for an inner tube so you can float on the lazy river or the wave pool. Everything had chipped paint or mold. We rode 3 rides the whole day because it took about 30-60 minutes to get through the line as they only send people up one at a time now. Then on rides with two slides, they only had one open.

We should've gone to Epic Waters or Hawaiian Falls instead. Hell, the Garland Surf and Swim would've been more enjoyable since my kid and I basically did the wave pool over and over. I get that there's a shortage of workers but that was ridiculous. Entire sections didn't open the entire day. That's just poor management. Never again. 

• Rage+1 1

On 8/11/2022 at 9:56 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

KZEW graffiti on side of the bridge going north on Central past 635.

I have been in Studio G and knew LaBella, Rody & Rhyner during the heyday. I worked across the hall for WFAA-AM.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, mdmost said:

This thread got it in my head that maybe we should check out that old Wet N Wild in Arlington since it's the last weekend before school starts meaning summer break is over. I mean I went there as a kid, it's probably still fun. What a piece of shit is has become as Hurricane Harbor. I swear anything Six Flags touches turns to shit. Half the rides were closed. They charge you $15 for an inner tube so you can float on the lazy river or the wave pool. Everything had chipped paint or mold. We rode 3 rides the whole day because it took about 30-60 minutes to get through the line as they only send people up one at a time now. Then on rides with two slides, they only had one open.

We should've gone to Epic Waters or Hawaiian Falls instead. Hell, the Garland Surf and Swim would've been more enjoyable since my kid and I basically did the wave pool over and over. I get that there's a shortage of workers but that was ridiculous. Entire sections didn't open the entire day. That's just poor management. Never again. 

When I moved my family back to DFW in 2017, we got Six Flags season passes.  Of course, it's never going to be as good as what one has idealized in one's head, but something was missing.  It seemed very stale.

I will say the forays in to Hurricane Harbor were as described.  I think I stood in line for an hour to get down the large slide in the middle of the park.

20 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

When I moved my family back to DFW in 2017, we got Six Flags season passes.  Of course, it's never going to be as good as what one has idealized in one's head, but something was missing.  It seemed very stale.

I will say the forays in to Hurricane Harbor were as described.  I think I stood in line for an hour to get down the large slide in the middle of the park.

I took my kids to Six Flags in June. It was fine but everything look shabby and any theming that made the place charming in the past was gone. The rides all looked terrible and showed their age. Contrast that to Valleyfair in Minnesota that the old daughter and I went to in July. It's run by Cedar Fair. Completely clean park. Rides well maintained. Theming was good with an entire area dedicated to Peanuts. Employees weren't just a bunch of disinterested high schoolers. Six Flags just seems to be coasting on being the only game in town. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

I took my kids to Six Flags in June. It was fine but everything look shabby and any theming that made the place charming in the past was gone. The rides all looked terrible and showed their age. Contrast that to Valleyfair in Minnesota that the old daughter and I went to in July. It's run by Cedar Fair. Completely clean park. Rides well maintained. Theming was good with an entire area dedicated to Peanuts. Employees weren't just a bunch of disinterested high schoolers. Six Flags just seems to be coasting on being the only game in town. 

Good call on "theming".  That's what was missing.

I feel fortunate to have experienced  the Dallas Club Scene in the early 80’s to early 90’s during my college and post college party years.  Early memories of Confettis, On the Air, Video Bar, Tangos (dancing frogs on the roof), and then the Starck Club came along and became arguably the most cutting edge and electic club that Dallas and all of Texas for that matter has ever had (I remember ecstasy was sold at the bar and the colorful characters that always hung out in the Bathroom lobby and the random crazy videos in the restrooms) Then Deep Ellum revived as I remember when it was only Club Dada and Club Clearview (I attended the initial keg parties In the original building that eventually evolved into Club Clearview after they got an official liquor license).  Knox Street Pub (playing pool in back room), Stans Blue Note, Stoneleigh P, the ultra preppy Boardwalk Beach Club near SMU, 2826 in deep Ellum was rocking in the early 90’s during Texas OU weekend.  Borrowed Money on Central and Cowboys on Garland Road for your urban cowboy “meat market” I know I’m missing many but it is a start 

photos below of Entrance to Starck Club and a few match boxes I collected over the years 71938750-8038-45F8-B66E-7AD308BE4DFD.jpeg.4e5ff57cf74e6a3229842e73e25c0001.jpeg9CCA7591-174A-4FD6-B157-2898FE7A0F8A.thumb.jpeg.dc3755f5d7005a13dbeb7c8064b13d06.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

I was terrified when I went to Bowley & Wilson’s because you were likely to be called on by those guys. Didn’t know the story before researching this.

BOWLEY & WILSON’S. If you’re looking for a place to have your church social, don’t come here. Not for the faint of heart or timid of ear, Bowley and Wilson dish out hysterical music and humor that landed them in jail on one occasion. If you’re looking for a reasonably priced, humor-filled evening, Bowley & Wilson and the Blue Bathroom Humor Band are for you. You can win free drinks by being a good sport when they ask you to join in the act. Win free Kamikazies by successfully singing “Old Ben Lucas” in front of the audience. 4774 Greenville. 692-6470. Tue-Sat 7:30 pm-2 am. Show at 9:30.
https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/1986/august/nightlife/

I still remember “old man Lucas had a lot of mucus hanging right out of his nose. He picked and he picked til it made you sick but back again it grows”

http://www.dfwcriminallawyer.com/pdf/playboy.pdf

Edited by Dilligas
Added additional background
  • Drool 1

16 hours ago, JCHIL said:

9CCA7591-174A-4FD6-B157-2898FE7A0F8A.thumb.jpeg.dc3755f5d7005a13dbeb7c8064b13d06.jpeg

Went to The Riviera when I was a UT student in the 80's and dated a girl in Dallas.  We went there for my birthday.  We had steak tartare for an appetizer and I had rabbit for my entrée.  It was the first time I tried both dishes.  I knew steak tartare was raw but I didn't know it was basically raw ground beef with a raw egg in the middle of it with a few capers.  I did not care for it at all, but didn't want to look like the rube that I was, so we ate most of it.  Wasn't impressed by the small piece of rabbit either.  Never went back.

A cousin and wife took us one night to Bowles and Wilson after we moved to DFW from Memphis. I had been in the music business and spent a lot of time in clubs and had never seen anything like it. I wasn’t drunk so was in fear of being dragged up on stage. And to my surprise a girl from a bachelorette party that had to sing Ben Lucas was in a meeting at work the following week from accounting. She was embarrassed when I asked her about it.

1 hour ago, Matuka said:

Went to The Riviera when I was a UT student in the 80's and dated a girl in Dallas.  We went there for my birthday.  We had steak tartare for an appetizer and I had rabbit for my entrée.  It was the first time I tried both dishes.  I knew steak tartare was raw but I didn't know it was basically raw ground beef with a raw egg in the middle of it with a few capers.  I did not care for it at all, but didn't want to look like the rube that I was, so we ate most of it.  Wasn't impressed by the small piece of rabbit either.  Never went back.

f3fe295eefb68934eabc3778379d3e02.gif

I have been in Studio 8-H and knew LaBella, Rody & Rhyner during the heyday. I worked across the hall for WFAA-AM.

Damn…. this traffic jam!
I have been in Studio 8-H and knew LaBella, Rody & Rhyner during the heyday. I worked across the hall for WFAA-AM.

Damn…. this traffic jam!

19 hours ago, JCHIL said:

Starck Club match detail FEFC9F0E-E19D-4980-A20A-529CBBE44F4A.thumb.jpeg.36c9530a8fa8c8734f5fa43f9b4b3cfd.jpeg14047FEE-11E8-42D9-A7E5-7BF426F83527.thumb.jpeg.6f0a7f63680de47cd775260725d48a06.jpeg

I’ll not soon forget the night you know who tried to get us killed by first driving around with his bright lights stuck in the on position while enraging every other person on the road and then he tried to take on every dude waiting to get in the front door. 

“You want some?  You?  You? How about you?  You want some?”

Greatest bluff ever.  

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...
On 8/14/2022 at 6:42 PM, Dilligas said:

I was terrified when I went to Bowley & Wilson’s because you were likely to be called on by those guys. Didn’t know the story before researching this.

BOWLEY & WILSON’S. If you’re looking for a place to have your church social, don’t come here. Not for the faint of heart or timid of ear, Bowley and Wilson dish out hysterical music and humor that landed them in jail on one occasion. If you’re looking for a reasonably priced, humor-filled evening, Bowley & Wilson and the Blue Bathroom Humor Band are for you. You can win free drinks by being a good sport when they ask you to join in the act. Win free Kamikazies by successfully singing “Old Ben Lucas” in front of the audience. 4774 Greenville. 692-6470. Tue-Sat 7:30 pm-2 am. Show at 9:30.
https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/1986/august/nightlife/

I still remember “old man Lucas had a lot of mucus hanging right out of his nose. He picked and he picked til it made you sick but back again it grows”

http://www.dfwcriminallawyer.com/pdf/playboy.pdf

And they are doing it again!

Flyer image for this event

https://www.prekindle.com/event/87274-bowley-and-wilson-final-final-final-final-reunion-dallas

On 8/15/2022 at 12:11 PM, RPM said:

Seems fitting with all the KZEW talk.

3acec418f911b0007ee896ee95a0a37b.png

Went there a lot in late 70's and early 80's.

I was friends with some the guys in Lynx, who were great by the way.

Was sitting at the soundboard with the headphones on and in walks Steven Stills and he sat in with the band for several songs.

It was awesome. 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 10:01 AM, RPM said:

I have been in Studio G and knew LaBella, Rody & Rhyner during the heyday. I worked across the hall for WFAA-AM.

Ha!  Funny side story related to nostalgia.  In about 6th grade, I was obsessed with being a meteorologist.  I had tons of books, a weather station, etc... Hell, I "F-5'd" the hell out of the number 844-4444 any time there was a chance of snow and the temp was borderline freezing.  (Wonder if anyone on here recalls 844-4444?).  Anyway, I write a letter to Troy Duncan asking for advice.  He wrote back.  I still have the letter.  Imagine the kid from A Christmas Story reading his letter.  I get to the end where he says something about, "If you're truly interested, you'll probably need to attend Oklahoma or Texas A&M".  Son of a bitch.  I - literally - gave up on meteorology after that sentence.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Anyway, I write a letter to Troy Duncan asking for advice.  He wrote back.  I still have the letter.  Imagine the kid from A Christmas Story reading his letter.  I get to the end where he says something about, "If you're truly interested, you'll probably need to attend Oklahoma or Texas A&M".  Son of a bitch.  I - literally - gave up on meteorology after that sentence.

He was trolling you for getting his name wrong. You deserve it for not writing Harold Taft in the first place.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2