For Sale - Whataburger, update sold!

Tailgate

Well furk.  Better get in a few #2s before the new owners fuck things up.

If they bring back the Green Chile Double, on the other hand...then I may welcome our new Whataburger overlords.

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

the new assholes are going to change everything, aren't they?

They always do.

Adios, Whataburger.  We hardly knew ya.

I mean, it's cool.  I'm sure the transition to a Mediterranean concept restaurant that also has a burger or two on the menu will go just swimmingly.

I would have felt better if an investment group here in Texas were the buyers because at least they would understand what Whataburger means to Texas culture vs a bunch Deep Dish Pizza eating Capones from  New Detroit.  

My fear is  we are going to see Whataburger go the way of Subway where we will be treated to tasteless lettuce, fake cheese and other generic pre packed  ingredients.  And if those fuckers get rid of spicy ketchup and my ability to buy it at HEB.......    

Edited by Nueces River Rat

Just damn.  But all may not be not lost.  Based upon their other investments, it would seem that they understand the importance of keeping brand values intact:

"The company also holds majority shares in Sara Lee's coffee brand, Panera Bread, Peet's Coffee & Tea, Caribou Coffee, Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Dunkin' and Einstein's, among others."

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/whatasale-whataburger-sold-to-bdt-capital/287-bae57970-88ea-4569-8c7c-560880988e55

3 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I would have felt better if an investment group here in Texas were the buyers because at least they would understand what Whataburger means to Texas culture vs a bunch Deep Dish Pizza eating Capones from  New Detroit.  

My fear is  we are going to see Whataburger go the way of Subway where we will be treated to tasteless lettuce, fake cheese and other generic pre packed  ingredients.  And if those fuckers get rid of spicy ketchup and my ability to buy it at HEB.......    

Subway is good though and whataburger sucks ass.

user has been banned for this post - BiH

• Fuck You 4

11 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Meh, the other Texas icon I grew eating more than Whataburger was Dairy Queen - which is based out of Minneapolis.  I think at worst you're see a proliferation of stores outside of it's regional footprint (not necessarily a bad thing).  For those fearful of crappy service...too late.  I enjoy going there, but not as often as I used to as it takes too damn long to get through the lines.  Beating.  

I know Texas has become highly competitive, but this sale is bizarre to me. Makes me appreciate what In N Out and Chick Fil A been able to do while staying privately held by the families.

30 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

They always do.

Adios, Whataburger.  We hardly knew ya.

I mean, it's cool.  I'm sure the transition to a Mediterranean concept restaurant that also has a burger or two on the menu will go just swimmingly.

tenor.gif?itemid=7977879

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Meh, the other Texas icon I grew eating more than Whataburger was Dairy Queen - which is based out of Minneapolis.  I think at worst you're see a proliferation of stores outside of it's regional footprint (not necessarily a bad thing).  For those fearful of crappy service...too late.  I enjoy going there, but not as often as I used to as it takes too damn long to get through the lines.  Beating.  

I know Texas has become highly competitive, but this sale is bizarre to me. Makes me appreciate what In N Out and Chick Fil A been able to do while staying privately held by the families.

The worst burger I ever had was at a dairy queen two years ago.  

A part of me died inside.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I had Dairy Queen in North Minneapolis last year. It was the worst fucking thing ever. Disgusting. 

Second on the green chile double. That shit went hard

8 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

I had Dairy Queen in North Minneapolis last year. It was the worst fucking thing ever. Disgusting. 

Second on the green chile double. That shit went hard

Spending my summers as a kid in West Texas we bounced back and forth between DQ and Allsups.  When we're tooling around in g-fathers single-cab pickup, mending fence and his smart ass has me chasing around trying to find the left-handed hammer or the board stretcher.  A Dude with extra pickles, large fries, and a blizzard is the tits.

18 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but DQ is primarily a franchise based model ?   This is probably the direction Whataburger will go down the road in order to facilitate the expansion although they do have some franchise establishments in place now, with most of them being out of state.  

But my initial rant not withstanding,  the new  majority owners saying the HQ will remain in Texas is a good thing.  

20 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

The worst burger I ever had was at a dairy queen two years ago.  

A part of me died inside.

DQ's are hit and miss from my experience and I've had to eat a few in some of these small towns where it was a DQ or a scary looking convenience store.

They do have good gringo style tacos and the country basket. 

4 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

You are a fucking moron.

Subway serves processed deli meat with all kinds of fillers in it.

Guess you are too stupid to know the difference however.

You seem upset.  You should try eating fresh more often instead of stuffing your fat jowls with their shitty burgers.

• Fuck You 5

Last time I checked, and this could have changed, but way back when, there was a separate Texas Dairy Queen franchise outfit that was pretty different from the national franchisor.  Texas Dairy Queens were fairly unique as a result.

That still appears to be the case.  www.dairyqueen.com and www.dqtexas.com.

Shit kept Texas trademark lawyers busy for a quarter century.

17 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Double Whataburger with cheese, thin layer of refried beans, Fritos, and jalapenos.

What the fuck did you think I was talking about?

Lulz. I thought you were suggesting a burger made of beans, one of them commie burgers.

Your suggestion, I can masturbate to that idea.

Edited by crash_davis

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Last time I checked, and this could have changed, but way back when, there was a separate Texas Dairy Queen franchise outfit that was pretty different from the national franchisor.  Texas Dairy Queens were fairly unique as a result.

That still appears to be the case.  www.dairyqueen.com and www.dqtexas.com.

Shit kept Texas trademark lawyers busy for a quarter century.

Folks moved from Austin to Washington state last year.  DQ up there is awful.  Different menu.  Different everything.  

12 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Those motherfuckers emailed me a coupon for a free Whataburger with purchase of medium fries and drink yesterday.  The coupon was good through June 5th.  

I got the same one...then an email saying they changed it to the 19th.

2 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Just damn.  But all may not be not lost.  Based upon their other investments, it would seem that they understand the importance of keeping brand values intact:

"The company also holds majority shares in Sara Lee's coffee brand, Panera Bread, Peet's Coffee & Tea, Caribou Coffee, Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Dunkin' and Einstein's, among others."

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/whatasale-whataburger-sold-to-bdt-capital/287-bae57970-88ea-4569-8c7c-560880988e55

All of those businesses are fucking horrible

Caribou Coffee is the only one that is meh

pretty damn sure whataburger is gonna take a huge dip

5 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

First thing will be limiting customizations.

Then limiting the menu.

Then Pepsi takes over the fountain.

Then no fucking jalapenos.

Yankees.

They will reduce costs and increase profits, just like any good business owner should being doing.  What's wrong with that?

I spent a big chunk of my childhood in Nashville back when Krispy Kreme was kind of the Whataburger of the Southeast -- regional and delicious. It's sucked ever since it's been in the Corporate America Fast Food world. This is the end of an era. Oh well, it's not like there aren't literally thousands of mom and pops slangin' good burgers out there.