For Sale - Whataburger, update sold!

Tailgate

2 hours ago, Fozzz said:

Subway is good though and whataburger sucks ass.

33 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

They will reduce costs and increase profits, just like any good business owner should being doing.  What's wrong with that?

Trolling harder after only reeling in one response to the first post, it seems.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Just damn.  But all may not be not lost.  Based upon their other investments, it would seem that they understand the importance of keeping brand values intact:

"The company also holds majority shares in Sara Lee's coffee brand, Panera Bread, Peet's Coffee & Tea, Caribou Coffee, Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Dunkin' and Einstein's, among others."

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/whatasale-whataburger-sold-to-bdt-capital/287-bae57970-88ea-4569-8c7c-560880988e55

Have you tried any of those brands since they were acquired?

RIP, Whataburger. You will be missed.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Trolling harder after only reeling in one response to the first post, it seems.

He's one of the worst trolls on the site. Just keeps posting poorly conceived troll shit that isn't funny nor intelligent. Just completely transparent and it gets monotonous. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Just damn.  But all may not be not lost.  Based upon their other investments, it would seem that they understand the importance of keeping brand values intact:

"The company also holds majority shares in Sara Lee's coffee brand, Panera Bread, Peet's Coffee & Tea, Caribou Coffee, Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Dunkin' and Einstein's, among others."

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/whatasale-whataburger-sold-to-bdt-capital/287-bae57970-88ea-4569-8c7c-560880988e55

So Panera, which is based in St. Louis and is was originally (and still in the STL area) known as St. Louis Bread Company, is owned by these folks.  I would imagine that I will be seeing a Whataburger up here in short order.  I'm good with it.

Whataburger is my favorite chain burger place by a few galaxies, but I haven't had anything there in over two years because it's just too fattening and I had been needing to lose weight. My favorite, the Monterey Melt meal, is about 1600 calories.  Even the junior version is about 700 calories.

Guess I will starve myself and have a single meal for the day over there before the new owners turn it all into dogshit.

Edited by phdhorn

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Those motherfuckers emailed me a coupon for a free Whataburger with purchase of medium fries and drink yesterday.  The coupon was good through June 5th.  

That is just what a Chicago investment firm taking over a beloved Texas burger company would do. 

I'll always remember where I was when I heard that Whataburger died. 

There is some potential good and bad in this transaction.

They took a majority interest, which means the new guys call the shots. However this investment group doesn’t actually have a lot of typical private equity experience, as far as I can tell. They often are only minority shareholders, and seem to be more of a wealth management vehicle than a PE firm with operational expertise.

It’s good from the standpoint that most private equity firms mercilessly cut costs to pay for the debt taken on to buy the company. Maybe they won’t be merciless cost cutters that ruin the quality of the product.

At the same time, because they don’t seem to have a lot of experience running the typical PE playbook as majority shareholders, they might screw it up over the next few years. I am intrigued, however, by the comment about Buffett trusting him. That is a damn good reference.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

There is some potential good and bad in this transaction.

They took a majority interest, which means the new guys call the shots. However this investment group doesn’t actually have a lot of typical private equity experience, as far as I can tell. They often are only minority shareholders, and seem to be more of a wealth management vehicle than a PE firm with operational expertise.

It’s good from the standpoint that most private equity firms mercilessly cut costs to pay for the debt taken on to buy the company. Maybe they won’t be merciless cost cutters that ruin the quality of the product.

At the same time, because they don’t seem to have a lot of experience running the typical PE playbook as majority shareholders, they might screw it up over the next few years. I am intrigued, however, by the comment about Buffett trusting him. That is a damn good reference.

Buffet's firm has under-performed the S&P 500 for the past decade.

• Like 1

quick, someone

1) start a bogus story on face-twit about how the new owners want to make sure all the locations are uniform and exactly the same 'to keep up standards'

2) start a gofundme to 'keep the maroon stripes on the College Station Whataburger' so we can defraud stupid aggy out of some money.

I'll be sitting on the beach earning 20%

• Like 7

So this BDT share a lot of properties with JAB Holdings, including ownership of all those shitty restaurant brands. JAB infamously was a Nazi company that used slave labor back in the day.

Sooooo....we live in world where Russians own Lone Star and Nazis own Whataburger. 

Hey Brisket, where's that ledge? 

So this BDT share a lot of properties with JAB Holdings, including ownership of all those shitty restaurant brands. JAB infamously was a Nazi company that used slave labor back in the day.

Sooooo....we live in world where Russians own Lone Star and Nazis own Whataburger. 
Hey Brisket, where's that ledge? 

Timely with the NYTimes feature on JAB Holdings today.

5 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I would have felt better if an investment group here in Texas were the buyers because at least they would understand what Whataburger means to Texas culture vs a bunch Deep Dish Pizza eating Capones from  New Detroit.  

My fear is  we are going to see Whataburger go the way of Subway where we will be treated to tasteless lettuce, fake cheese and other generic pre packed  ingredients.  And if those fuckers get rid of spicy ketchup and my ability to buy it at HEB.......    

Why not just make your own spicy ketchup? It's probably a bit better, even healthier (no corn syrup etc)

31 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

It may be healthier. It’s not better. Whataburger ketchup>all other ketchups. 

You want my recipe for spicy ketchup?

I'm pretty sure it's on par with Whataburger's. 

Watt-a-burger?

J.J. Watt rallies Texans to buy Whataburger back from Chicago bank

J.J. Watt rallies Texans to buy Whataburger back from Chicago bank

Ad Duration00:05 - More Info
Play
PlayCurrent time00:00Seek
00:00

Duration00:30Toggle MuteVolume
Settings
Toggle Fullscreen
EMBED <>MORE VIDEOS 

The Texans star even has a few ideas for how to manage Whataburger's menu after returning the chain to Texas' hands.

Updated 3 hours ago
HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- After Texas lost two storied businesses to outsiders in one week, J.J. Wattsays enough is enough.

On Thursday, Schlitterbahn announced it was selling off its Galveston and New Braunfels water parks to Ohio-based Cedar Fair Entertainment Company.

About 24 hours later, news of family-owned Whataburger's sale to a Chicago bank stunned many, including the Texans defensive end.

As Whataburger and BDT Capital announced the sale Friday, which brings the Texas fast food giant into a portfolio which includes minority investments in Einstein Bros. Bagels and Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Watt propositioned Texans with an investment idea of his own.

"Ok, I say we all chip in and buy Whataburger back," Watt tweeted.

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I remember listening to an interview with a Whataburger corporate rep a year years back and he said they lost money on the ketchup. My guess is that'll be the first thing to get phased out. 

Before or after they started selling it in grocery stores?

Let's be honest, Whataburger had already declined some before any takeover.  The patties have been smaller for awhile, half the time when I lift the bun it almost looks like Where's the beef? and some locations are skimpy with toppings.  At least the taste was still there, for now.

Edited by clapclapclap
Whataspeller

4 hours ago, shnsajax said:

At least my chances of Whataburger in Idaho increased today. 

Substitute Baltimore and this is precisely what my 20y.o. Son texted me today.

lolz

Just now, Neonmoon said:

First sign will be them taking away signature spicey ketchup tubs. First they will have smaller packets instead Then they will just have one type of ketchup 

Changes will be small and incremental. 

This. They're not going to make dramatic changes at the beginning, and they'll ride brand loyalty/love for as long as they can while making changes to increase profit. Then all of sudden we're talking about how good Whataburger was 10 years ago on a message board. 

I'm definitely stopping by this weekend. 

19 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Let's be honest, Whataburger had already declined some before any takeover.  The patties have been smaller for awhile, half the time when I lift the bun it almost looks like Where's the beef? and some locations are skimpy with toppings.  At least the taste was still there, for now.

I don't know what Whataburger you were going to, but not the case at all in the six or seven I frequent.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, You don't know me said:

So Panera, which is based in St. Louis and is was originally (and still in the STL area) known as St. Louis Bread Company, is owned by these folks.  I would imagine that I will be seeing a Whataburger up here in short order.  I'm good with it.

Panera, like all formerly regional chains, has slowly gone downhill as it has continued to expand.  In short, most of the good stuff - that cuts into profit but is the reason why people liked it in the first place - has gone away.  Same thing will happen to Agua Burger as they expand it.  Quality in the restaurant business is not scalable.  Fuck.