For Sale - Whataburger, update sold!

Tailgate

13 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

#4.  But have them grill the jalapeños and onions.  And if you ask for it on Texas toast instead of a bun, nobody would criticize you.

This is my default order at Whataburger. The grilled onions and jalapenos are life changing.

Whataburger's are usually well run and customer friendly stores compared to most fast food places. The managers are usually adults and appear to make a decent wage.

I am curious if that will continue or will they cut costs and start hiring cheaper teenage store managers. Having a responsible adult running the place is what separates Whataburger and Chik-fil-a from Jack in the Box and Wendy's.

51 minutes ago, F250 said:

I am curious if that will continue or will they cut costs and start hiring cheaper teenage store managers. Having a responsible adult running the place is what separates Whataburger and Chik-fil-a from Jack in the Box and Wendy's.

This.  Although, the same could be said of any fast food place.  Exhibit A is a local McDonalds 2 miles from the house.  The franchise owner owns 2 locations, of which he splits time also serving as the store manager.  Both of his locations are spotless, prompt, etc.  When he isn't in, his wife is running the place.  If either of them are not in, adults are running the show.

I'm not here to state the food is incredible (it is a McDonalds) but he and his wife work hard at all other aspects of their business.  And it shows.

Whataburger's are usually well run and customer friendly stores compared to most fast food places. The managers are usually adults and appear to make a decent wage.

Correct. They make it possible for someone to fast track through their system to become a manager and then later down the road, advance from day to day restaurant operations to jobs tied to corporate. I bet a number of the workforce at corporate in SA once flipped. burgers before climbing the ladder.

HEB is a similar.

So when they do move up to Minnesota, what are the normal hours on weekends? How late are they open and is there a late night menu?

Currently they are open 24/7 364 days. They always close on Christmas Eve around 6 and remain closed until 5 or 6 am on the 26th. Of course this is subject to change with new overlords in Chicago. Fricken Chicago.

They start their breakfast menu around mid night and I think they have it now where you can still get limited breakfast items through the day after 11 AM. And burgers, fries and chicken items are available 24/7. And if you are a Texan and you didn’t at least have a Whataburger for breakfast once in your life, please move to Minnesota or some other hell hole. You are a fake Texan and phony as a $3 bill.
  • Like 2

On 6/14/2019 at 11:58 AM, crash_davis said:

the new assholes are going to change everything, aren't they?

God I hope so.  I've tried WAB several times throughout Texas and Louisiana.  I've never come away with any type of special experience there.  Either you peoples food standards are extremely low or I've had the unfortunate luck of hitting some really shitty stores.  In and Out has been way more consistent and better store to store.  Hell, Freddy's (started in Wichita, but no bias) is better than WAB and I'm not really that fond of it either.

Edited by mulletpelini
bolivia

19 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

God I hope so.  I've tried WAB several times throughout Texas and Louisiana.  I've never come away with any type of special experience there.  Either you peoples food standards are extremely low or I've had the unfortunate luck of hitting some really shitty stores.  In and Out has been way more consistent and better store to store.  Hell, Freddy's (started in Wichita, but no bias) is better than WAB and I'm not really that fond of it either.

you have consumed too many runzas.

4 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Correct. They make it possible for someone to fast track through their system to become a manager and then later down the road, advance from day to day restaurant operations to jobs tied to corporate. I bet a number of the workforce at corporate in SA once flipped. burgers before climbing the ladder.

HEB is a similar.

Yeah, HEB headquarters is stocked full of former store workers that have been with the company since they were baggers. I've never encountered more loyal employees full of corporate pride in my life. The company has been good to them so I get why they all drink the company kool-aid.

Went Whataburger tonight for fathers day.  Toddlers first time going and they loved it.  Whataburger Jrs with fries and shakes. They loved it.

Dad got a number 2 with Texas Toast grilled onion and jalapenos with cheese and bacon.  Dr pepper and vanilla shake

The wife told me she ordered this for me for fathers day.  

Pretty good day for me.

TexasShirt_1_of_1_copy__01297.1480958299

5 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

They start their breakfast menu around mid night and I think they have it now where you can still get limited breakfast items through the day after 11 AM. 

Breakfast is 11 to 11

Currently they are open 24/7 364 days. They always close on Christmas Eve around 6 and remain closed until 5 or 6 am on the 26th. Of course this is subject to change with new overlords in Chicago. Fricken Chicago.

They start their breakfast menu around mid night and I think they have it now where you can still get limited breakfast items through the day after 11 AM. And burgers, fries and chicken items are available 24/7. And if you are a Texan and you didn’t at least have a Whataburger for breakfast once in your life, please move to Minnesota or some other hell hole. You are a fake Texan and phony as a $3 bill.
Thanks for the pointers, buddy!

6 hours ago, Tom said:

Maybe the Chicago people can figure out a way to get the drive thru wait to   soccer mom to order the stuff for her brood in under half an hour.

definitely an opportunity.

Granted, this is not WB exclusive.  She does the same shit at Caines...which has basically one fucking menu item.

12 hours ago, F250 said:

Yeah, HEB headquarters is stocked full of former store workers that have been with the company since they were baggers. I've never encountered more loyal employees full of corporate pride in my life. The company has been good to them so I get why they all drink the company kool-aid.

When I was in high school/college (late 80/early 90's), HEB had a darn good tuition reimbursement incentive and when one of the bagging or stocking jobs came open, it didn't stay open for long. I don't know if that is still the case today, but at the store level you see people working the cashier stands and management who have been at the same store for years, if not decades.   You can't say that about Wal Mart and the other major grocery chains here in Texas.    When Wal Mart got started with it's regional expansion and Sam Walton was still alive and the driving force,  they kind of had the same MO as HEB.   But then Wall Street got involved and Wal Mart went national(and international)  and things got turned on their head from the direction Sam Walton would have gone.  

12 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Went Whataburger tonight for fathers day.  Toddlers first time going and they loved it.  Whataburger Jrs with fries and shakes. They loved it.

Dad got a number 2 with Texas Toast grilled onion and jalapenos with cheese and bacon.  Dr pepper and vanilla shake

The wife told me she ordered this for me for fathers day.  

Pretty good day for me.

TexasShirt_1_of_1_copy__01297.1480958299

XL I assume?

16 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Wait, what? Was someone holding you at gunpoint? Did you call the cops?

Had to have a place with a veggie burger option and I was facing a hunger mutiny.  Nobody wanted to eat there and I suggested just waiting until we got home.  We were just outside of Brenham in Chappel Hill? so not a lot of options.  Car was unanimous-"never again".

14 hours ago, WBT said:

Breakfast is 11 to 11

My prediction for the first sign of the Whatapacolypse will be reductions for the breakfast hours and breakfast menu.

11 hours ago, Tom said:

Maybe the Chicago people can figure out a way to get the drive thru wait to under half an hour.

If the drive thru speeds up, that would be a tremendously BAD sign that things have changed and NOT for the better.

1 hour ago, Zavala said:

P Terrys is now undisputed top burger place

That just may be dumb enough to qualify you as aggy.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Had to have a place with a veggie burger option and I was facing a hunger mutiny.  Nobody wanted to eat there and I suggested just waiting until we got home.  We were just outside of Brenham in Chappel Hill? so not a lot of options.  Car was unanimous-"never again".

i've always wanted to try chapell hill cafe.  we're always travelling with the dogs though so we've never gotten the chance.