Best Breakfast Food

SurlyORama

15 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

We need to get you a care package of tortillas and you can send us some of that fancy farm meat.

That sounds like a good trade.

There's a Mexican grocery about an hour from me that I could probably get better tortillas.  I skimp on them and buy the low-carb ones to save the calories for something I like better.

I've had legit tortillas and they're undoubtedly superior to what I can get in the grocery store, but it's rare for me to really invest in the "bread" component of any dish.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Get yourself a brownie pan, line the bottom with frozen tater tots, cover with egg/cheese mixture, add your choice of breakfast meat, top with more grated cheese.  Stick it in the oven for 45 minutes at 350.  You can feed a pretty big crew.

What are they going to eat?

On 8/12/2021 at 5:48 PM, conVINCEd said:

Get yourself a brownie pan, line the bottom with frozen tater tots, cover with egg/cheese mixture, add your choice of breakfast meat, top with more grated cheese.  Stick it in the oven for 45 minutes at 350.  You can feed a pretty big crew.

I do a very similar "breakfast casserole" on vacations or for family get-togethers when need to have breakfast for 6+ people.

Grease a glass baking dish and line it with crescent roll dough. Pour in 1b of cooked, crumbled breakfast sausage and 8 raw eggs scrambled with a little milk. Spread around until you have  a nice even layer of meat and eggs on top of the dough. Bake for 30 minutes at 350, remove, add shitloads of shredded cheese and cook another 15 minutes. Serve with good salsa, avocado slices, sour cream...etc.

Might add in some shredded hash browns next time.

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

I do a very similar "breakfast casserole" on vacations or for family get-togethers when need to have breakfast for 6+ people.

Grease a glass baking dish and line it with crescent roll dough. Pour in 1b of cooked, crumbled breakfast sausage and 8 raw eggs scrambled with a little milk. Spread around until you have  a nice even layer of meat and eggs on top of the dough. Bake for 30 minutes at 350, remove, add shitloads of shredded cheese and cook another 15 minutes. Serve with good salsa, avocado slices, sour cream...etc.

Stepdad? 

Substitute some cream of onion soup for the milk and you have our version. Spicy breakfast sausage as well.

30 minutes covered at 350 then 12 minutes uncovered and then hit it with broiler for 2-3 minutes.

Some breakfast additions I enjoy: 

- Sunny side up egg on a McDonalds sausage biscuit with Louisiana hot sauce. 

- Take a Pappa's BBQ chorizo, egg and cheese taco. Empty the contents, toss the greasy tortilla. Scramble a couple eggs and combine contents. 

I think where Whataburger goes wrong on the "taquito" is the tortilla and the weird, rubbery baco. Sure they're great when you're drunk or hungover, but it shouldn't be taken seriously as a breakfast taco. 

• 1 year later...

I started this thread with the "English Muffin with Peanut Butter" entry. If that was my #1, then my #1a is the simple "Sunny Side Eggs with Sourdough Toast and Butter".

Guess I'm just a simple breakfast guy. 

But, I would crush almost all of the things I've seen discussed so far. I love breakfast!

Edited by SurlyORama

I’m not a fan of the usual eggs Benedict, as I don’t care for the usual soggy English muffin, and the Canadian bacon usually sucks. I also prefer eggs over easy to poached.

I do like variations. Replace the muffin with a Dungeness crab cake, fried eggs, jalapeño hollandaise, crumbled bacon. Or grilled venison or beef tenderloin, on a hash brown cake, with bearnaise. Or a biscuit half, a slice of thick fried ham, and sriracha hollandaise.

There was a breakfast joint in Portland (great breakfast town!) that did great French toast with a lemon cream, berries and bananas. I also like a stack of thin blueberry pancakes, butter, real maple syrup, and heavy smoked crispy bacon.

I also like Shrimp n grits for breakfast. Migas are great, plus l like huevos rancheros with refried pintos, sausage, and fried taters. CFS is always good, and biscuits, cream gravy, sausage crumbled with onions and jalapeños.

Worst breakfast: full English breakfast. Jellied eels, blood sausage, barely cooked limp bacon, rubbery fried eggs, cold canned beans.

That sounds like a good trade.
There's a Mexican grocery about an hour from me that I could probably get better tortillas.  I skimp on them and buy the low-carb ones to save the calories for something I like better.
I've had legit tortillas and they're undoubtedly superior to what I can get in the grocery store, but it's rare for me to really invest in the "bread" component of any dish.

If you got Mexicans near you there is a tortilladeria nearby. Might be tiny but they ain’t eating mission tortillas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 months later...

Toasted bagels with cream cheese have been in regular rotation since I heard during the pandemic that there was a cream cheese shortage and then I found cream cheese so I bought some. Before that I never had them at home, just when dining out or at a friend’s place. I started out with the usual toppings. Mainly strawberry or red raspberry preserves. Then I went with an old favorite from my youth. Apple butter. This is a perfect marriage.

A2BB6AFE-0FFE-4AC0-A7D4-F8E48DAFDFDF.thumb.jpeg.5df65b232f1e832ba406ccd91c31165a.jpeg

Do you do apple butter down south? I was curious so I googled it. Looks like it’s mainly a thing in Appalachia. Elsewhere it seems to be more the exception than the rule. Anyway, this goes great with coffee or milk but I think it pairs especially well with a cup of Earl Grey tea. That’s become a very frequent start to my day, followed by a banana or an orange. It takes some will power to limit myself to just half a bagel per day. I could easily eat two.

Of course I’ll occasionally go with lox and capers with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a sprinkle of fresh ground black pepper if I’m in the mood for something savory. That’s good too.

60AB51D0-9066-4EF7-8228-A3DD0CFCEFB0.thumb.jpeg.84524e6421d209ee683d77bafe781aa7.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Do you do apple butter down south?

Not in Texas. But my mom’s from Minnesota and she grew up on homemade apple butter. I ate it a lot as a kid and loved it. I haven’t had it as much in my adult life as a Texan, but you can find it at HEB (when open, which is, like, never).

On 8/16/2021 at 6:52 PM, Surly Bevo said:

Substitute some cream of onion soup for the milk and you have our version. Spicy breakfast sausage as well.

30 minutes covered at 350 then 12 minutes uncovered and then hit it with broiler for 2-3 minutes.

interesting.

does this whole thing come out with the consistency of quiche? 

I always enjoy the breakfast buffet found in top drawer western hotels in Japan. Incredible fruit like Japanese muskmelon. Your usual America/English stuff like limp bacon, great ham, non industrial eggs, pancakes. And great Japanese stuff like congee, grilled salmon, dumplings, and ramen. And at the end of the line a bottle of scotch and vodka.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

I always enjoy the breakfast buffet found in top drawer western hotels in Japan. Incredible fruit like Japanese muskmelon. Your usual America/English stuff like limp bacon, great ham, non industrial eggs, pancakes. And great Japanese stuff like congee, grilled salmon, dumplings, and ramen. And at the end of the line a bottle of scotch and vodka.

7a2ml9.jpg

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Had never had Chilaquiles until Chicago of all places a few years back, believe I ordered about 3 or 4 mornings in a row. 

Rick Bayless is based in Chicago. I’ve seen him make them on his show. I bookmarked his recipe but I haven’t gotten around to making them yet. He did the dinner version because he said everybody knows the egg version.

https://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/green-chilaquiles/

Here’s video:

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Had a 16 oz package of Jimmy Dean sausage with eggs and pancakes this morning. None of that pussy 12 oz shit. I needed to eat, goddamnit.

Sams sells a 2lb ginormous chub of Jimmy Dean. For when you’re really needing to eat.

Years ago we were at Epcot. Here comes Jimmy Dean with his wife. My wife said “hey!” He introduced himself. Wife said “I like your sausage!”
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ever eat Graham crackers in a bowl with milk?

433D1A11-C44E-420C-B971-90B1F40D3506.thumb.png.c4d68271814495cde4fbc4f6d8a8b193.png

33150855-6F2D-480E-9CE1-C4D2757C575F.thumb.jpeg.26d6c334497e62a312a97c6e3612271f.jpeg

Loved that when I was a kid. Still do. It’s not just for breakfast. It’s a great after school snack, a great late night snack. I don’t eat cereal much anymore but I still have this from time to time. It never gets old. 

• Hook 'Em 1