Car dealership rant

Yeah.  There's also a special place in Heaven for people that work for bluehairs in general.  

I was just down at MIL's place in Palm Beach.  Fuck.  I feel sorry for any handyman, plumber, landscaper, whatever that works for her untrusting ass.    

Seriously,  if she's got a water leak and a plumber gives her an estimate in writing for $20, she'd swear she is being cheated.  

8 hours ago, Gooby said:

You can't tell the man anything.  Everything must be done by a professional.  For example, when they moved we drove over and helped them with a bunch of stuff, and one thing I noticed that needed to be done was the dryer cord needed to be replaced, so we drove to Lowe's and bought one and replaced it while they were off doing other shit.  Well, my mistake was not tossing the cardboard wrapper from the new cord in my car, because once he saw it he hit the roof.  "You're not a licensed electrician and I cannot take chances" and blah, blah blah.   He's right, I'm not an electrician, but my dad is a Master's Electrician who still holds licenses in 7 states and is pretty highly regarded around the area.  I've worked summers and holidays and whenever dad's guys needed the help, so I can hang a light fixture or ceiling fan, replace a breaker and I sure as shit can replace a dryer cord.  Nonetheless, once it turned to straight-up BITCHING at us for doing them a favor, we left, and I told my wife I would never volunteer to help him do ANYTHING again.

The next day, he called an electrician to come and have a look at the dryer cord, because "it just CANNOT be right."  The electrician told him it was right, but still charged him for 2 hours plus the service call.  The highest irony of the whole thing was, the electrician who showed up on the service call was a pupil of my father's in apprentice school.

We were through there a couple of weekends ago, and the wind had taken out a section of their fence...three posts had cracked and it was down.  They're currently on a 4 month waiting list for a fence guy.  I COULD fix it, but ain't no fucking way I'm volunteering.

Does he have autism or similar tendencies? I don’t mean that in a derogatory way, just that the level of rigidity on this stuff isn’t typical....at all.

Had an RX 8 for a while and took it to Roger Beasley for an oil change. During said oil change the rep comes out and says you key fob battery is dying. I said no worries I already have a replacement battery in the car.  Don’t worry about it. He said we will swap it no problem.  Whatever. 

When I go to check out he has charged me a 1/2 hour labor for changing the batteries I bought. I calmly asked for a tooth pick and pushed the battery out in one second. I said you charged me 55 dollars to do that. He said “well, we have to pay our service guy”. After raising hell in front of their entire showroom the manger comes and REFUSES TO REFUND THE CHAGE but gives me a $150 gift card. wtf?  I make sure to tell everyone in the showroom to leave now and don’t be screwed by these fucking idiots. Left the yellow rose bucks. Fuck em

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SurlyBDR said:

What code is it? Did you know that "cheap code readers" only get you in the neighborhood of what could be wrong? For example; P0442 (GM specifically), has to do with an evaporative emissions system leak. Which could be; purge valve, vent valve, canister or gas cap. Don't rely on DTC's alone if you really dont trust your mechanic. 

If you dont like that there could be multiple fixes for a cheap code scanner diagnosis, dont blindly trust someone whom plugs one into your OBD port. 

1,000 miles from Austin, and the fucking shop manager busts me on a fan site. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

So you take a car in for alignment, and they bill you for an engine diagnostic?  Fuck that shit. 

If you’re talking about my post, I was only referring to repairs, not maintenance. I still get charged $29.95 for misc shop supplies, but they charge $29.95 less than the competitors. I think means I save almost $60. 

10 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Does he have autism or similar tendencies? I don’t mean that in a derogatory way, just that the level of rigidity on this stuff isn’t typical....at all.

I'm not sure I'm ready to say "autism", but very methodical and inflexible in his daily life.

So yeah...probably.

I'll say Subaru Austin has been great to me.  No hassle there, only tell me I might want to do something if it truly needs to be done.  And I had a new engine and clutch put in at around 10k miles due to a common vehicle problem.  Engine was covered under warranty but clutch was just out of warranty.  They gave me the number at Subaru America to call and told me specifically what to tell them about the cars issue.  Subaru America decided to cover the clutch, total bill was like 11k. Signed off, didn't pay a dime, drove home. Even told me I didn't need new brake pads on my fronts yet, but I wanted to get them done at the same time as the rears.

2 hours ago, PilotsError said:

new engine at 10K?

Ya, the 2009-2014 wrx's had an issue that would cause the engine to blow.  They were more than happy to replace mine.  Buddy told me who knows some of the mechanics at Subaru and Infinity that there are just blocks laying around over at the Subaru mechanic bays.  It's been a champ since, which was 2013?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jersey Man10 said:
1 hour ago, Bigpoppapump said:
Mine was a 2012, followed maintenance to a T.

Did it blow because of oil starvation?

Blew cause of ringland failure. I'm guessing it might of been oil vapor intake, I didn't run a catch can or anything, stock car.  Lots of things due to the design of the 2.5L that could lead to ringland failure.

https://www.comeanddriveit.com/engine/subaru-ringland-failure

On 5/21/2019 at 11:54 AM, Jersey Man10 said:

I remember awhile back I had just installed a K&N Short Ram Intake with the cone filter. I went to get my oil changed at this somewhat local shop and they told me my filter was dirty and would need to get it changed. I told that motherfucker I had just installed it and he didn't say anything. That was the last time I ever went there.

was about to post something similar,

I have a K&N filter as well, and the fucks at the firestone dealership in Arbor Walk  (I was getting my tires - that I had purchased from them months earlier- rotated),  actually showed me a filthy standard air filter telling me that they had checked on that as a courtesy and that it needed to be replaced right away.   I told them I was going to think about it, but to go ahead and rotate the tires.   Once they brought the truck down off the rack, they called me back to say they were about to change the filter and just needed my permission.

Im pretty pissed at this point, cross my arms and tell them to go ahead and look at my motherfucking filter with me watching.  Either I had the "C" team of dunces, or no-one caught on by the tone of my voice that this would be a mistake, assclowns opened up the filter housing, and one of the older grease monkeys let out an audible "fuck' when he saw the orange filter ring.

I responded very pissed,  yeah you morons, you might have wanted to check that first before trying to scam me.   The manager ran over trying to calm me down in front of the other customers, but I was having none of it.  problem was I coudlnt demand anything because the rotation was "warranty" service, so other than the original tires purchase, I wasnt paying anything for this visit and the manager kind of pointed out that little issue.   So no refund, just a perfunctory apology and they got my truck off the rack super fast.

Last time I went there obviously

• Like 3

Blew cause of ringland failure. I'm guessing it might of been oil vapor intake, I didn't run a catch can or anything, stock car.  Lots of things due to the design of the 2.5L that could lead to ringland failure.
https://www.comeanddriveit.com/engine/subaru-ringland-failure
Yeah it probably ran lean with the shitty stock tune.

I guess I lucked out. I have an 11 WRX that I bought with 26k miles 3 years ago. Ended up getting it tuned a year later and I'm at 85k right now with no issues. Still on stock clutch too lol. Wondering how much longer she'll last.

Yeah it probably ran lean with the shitty stock tune.

I guess I lucked out. I have an 11 WRX that I bought with 26k miles 3 years ago. Ended up getting it tuned a year later and I'm at 85k right now with no issues. Still on stock clutch too lol. Wondering how much longer she'll last.

In all fairness my clutch blew cause I was going 60 on Ben white when the engine blew and I had to drive it off. The new one has been great with zero sign of wear. I’m stuck on wether to get an access port and tube or live out the engine till my next car.

Just got home from buying a car.   The usual jackassery about discount here, discount here, discount everywhere but not there.   I was running circles around my salesman when his manager finally comes over and caves.    I was within earshot of 2--3 other buyers and  he realized I was shooting holes in their bullshit.    I got the price I wanted.   Plus the rust resistant undercoat so I got that going for me which is nice.

fbfaec47-7abd-4ed6-8a59-7fbf1777c4eb_tex

8 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Just got home from buying a car.   The usual jackassery about discount here, discount here, discount everywhere but not there.   I was running circles around my salesman when his manager finally comes over and caves.    I was within earshot of 2--3 other buyers and  he realized I was shooting holes in their bullshit.    I got the price I wanted.   Plus the rust resistant undercoat so I got that going for me which is nice.

Edited by Jerry Callo

In all fairness my clutch blew cause I was going 60 on Ben white when the engine blew and I had to drive it off. The new one has been great with zero sign of wear. I’m stuck on wether to get an access port and tube or live out the engine till my next car.
You'll definitely notice a difference with the Accessport. I ended up getting one from Cobb in Austin and bought a custom E-Tune online from Torqued Performance. It's a great little tool.

In the pic above my AF Learning 1 was super high ( should be max +8/-8 from 0.00 ) so that told me I had a leak in my intake tract. Tightened the hoses a bit and it dropped.b4a724fc0224d700f21267193d19ca9b.jpg

13 hours ago, Bigpoppapump said:

Poor Brad. 

Guest Lobo

I mean, it's all fun and games to rant about car dealerships on this thread...but I think y'all are missing what a great service they do to the customers around the State of Texas.  Without branded dealerships, Texans would not have access to great deals on new cars, access to the great options they need on new cars, access to customized after-market parts and services, access to certified mechanics who can service the vehicles like nobody else, and access to great financing options that you can't get at banks that don't understand the new car landscape.  The protectionism that exists between the state legislature and car dealerships is there for a reason, so that someone buying a new car in an age of almost unlimited information that is unbiased and easy to digest---will still be forced into a narrow channel of proprietary deceit and forced financial products that they cannot possibly escape from without foregoing the car they so passionately wanted.  To suggest that car dealerships offer far less assistance now than they did 40 years ago is just criminal.

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I mean, it's all fun and games to rant about car dealerships on this thread...but I think y'all are missing what a great service they do to the customers around the State of Texas.  Without branded dealerships, Texans would not have access to great deals on new cars, access to the great options they need on new cars, access to customized after-market parts and services, access to certified mechanics who can service the vehicles like nobody else, and access to great financing options that you can't get at banks that don't understand the new car landscape.  The protectionism that exists between the state legislature and car dealerships is there for a reason, so that someone buying a new car in an age of almost unlimited information that is unbiased and easy to digest---will still be forced into a narrow channel of proprietary deceit and forced financial products that they cannot possibly escape from without foregoing the car they so passionately wanted.  To suggest that car dealerships offer far less assistance now than they did 40 years ago is just criminal.

Whatever you say Ashley Schaeffer.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2019 at 11:04 PM, Macanudo said:

Did you get the Hank Hill special deal?

NRZrUte8iWUEN0kI3oTS2lCXR6ez_NJSLjVXRNK5

Not 1 penny over invoice!

• 2 months later...
On 5/20/2019 at 3:16 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

I took a vehicle into a firestone in north Austin once several years ago for an oil change because of a coupon in the mail. Their complimentary inspection “revealed” that I basically needed to replace everything that they sold, from windshield wipers and tires to air filter and fuel injector cleaning. It was the most blatant service upselling I’ve ever experienced. 

I got burned by the wiper blades scam at a state inspection joint last week.  Knew I should have kept an eagle eye on them.  JimBobby BobbyJim brings me out and shows a suspiciously brand new tiny tear on the edge of one, says I have to replace both but can't show me the damage on the other one when asked ("Well the rubber is kinda too squishy.")  $23 for the set, but time is money so it wasn't worth going to Walmart then having to do the inspection again. 

But damn, I hate slimeball scammers.