2019 US Open @ Pebble Beach

Wally Fairway

It also normally doesn't bother me when the USGA takes a par 72 course and turns into a par 70 course for the U.S. Open but Pebble is different.  Turning Pebble into a par 71 course is like turning Augusta National or St. Andrews into a par 71 course.  It shouldn't ever happen.

9 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

It also normally doesn't bother me when the USGA takes a par 72 course and turns into a par 70 course for the U.S. Open but Pebble is different.  Turning Pebble into a par 71 course is like turning Augusta National or St. Andrews into a par 71 course.  It shouldn't ever happen.

#2 is an easy hole. It's scoring avg. during the AT&T was 4.54. Might be the weakest hole on the course. Hell, I wish they they would've changed #6 to a par 4.

1 hour ago, EMAWesome said:

It happens at almost every PGA tour stop during the season. But I agree, if it ever happened at Augusta, I might have to quit watching golf forever. 

Our obsession with par is strange, but it's real. Does it really matter what the "par" of a course is? Lowest number of strokes wins either way. 

2 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

The players complaining is warranted in this case. The USGA has made a mockery of some of the greatest courses in the country. You are ok with Brooks calling out the players, but not ok with the players calling out the USGA. It may come across as whining, but I don't enjoy watching the US Open nearly as much as the other majors. That's squarely on the USGA. Narrow fairways, penalizing rough, tough hard fast (but fair) greens. Success.

Instead they decided to change that strategy and turn it into a putt-putt championship. All that they have been missing was a windmill to hit it through.

It is less a test of golfing ability, strategy, and nerves than it used to be. I'd rather find that out than watch the best in the game lag putt from 10' because they don't want it to roll 20' down the hill.

daniel berger finished first in strokes gained putting in last year's u.s. open and finished 6th.

16 minutes ago, sidis said:

daniel berger finished first in strokes gained putting in last year's u.s. open and finished 6th.

building on this, i went back and looked at the strokes gained by category at shinnecock.

Screen_Shot_2018_06_18_at_10.50.43_AM.pn

the average rank of sg for the top 15 is drive: 29, approach: 17. short: 25, and putt: 17.

however, for the top 5, approach was 12 and putt was 14 and brooks playing so much better on approach than fleet and dj is why he won.  that is striking the ball with irons...not a putt-putt competition.  they're just whiny fucking bitches who grew up on fucking country clubs and can't handle the least bit of adversity. 

but worry not, we already have 30 players sitting under par so the whining worked and the usga went soft.

Edited by sidis

5 minutes ago, miguelito said:

you left out "COLD BLOODED!"

Gus would be awesome, but he might wake me up if I fall asleep.

Total golf nap ruiner. Can't have that. I need Jim Nantz to pour me a warm glass of milk and read me goodnight moon.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Joe Buck is terrible. "Well if you're Rory McIlroy 2 shots back these par 5s are some missed opportunities"

It's Thursday at the US Open, Joe. Not everyone is going to shoot a 63. 

Hell Klatt is there..... why not Gus Johnson?  Imagine Gus calling a huge Tiger birdie...

"EARTHQUAKE... He Made it.. TIGER the GREAT !! "

Edited by LTtxfan

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

"If I could speak Italian I'd translate this for you right now" 

Good fucking God do I need to mute the rest of this tournament? 

Tiger just teed off.  You may need to.  I don't have the sound on. 

Tiger striped an iron down the middle.  Jordan pulled his iron way left.

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

"If I could speak Italian I'd translate this for you right now" 

Good fucking God do I need to mute the rest of this tournament? 

I have it on mute.  I'm at the office and had the volume up just barely enough to be able to hear it on my computer.  That lasted about 10 minutes.  I got tired of slapping my own forehead with my palm.  I was afraid I was going to start using a stapler or something like that and hurting myself.  Could not take it anymore.

1 minute ago, UTexasFight said:

Death, taxes, people bitching about FOX covering the US Open

So tired

You're right. Can't wait until Lifetime starts covering Texas football and HSN gets the World Series. 

Does Fox cover any other relevant golfing event during the entire year? No. In turn, their US Open coverage is really shitty.