Rick Barnes thread

Goo Punch

So, I said fuck it and I am meeting someone tomorrow about mid way to Louisville who I have met once before and we are driving there and back tomorrow to watch the Vols play. I’m in Chattanooga so it is about a 5 hour drive each way. The older I get the more I realize I may never have this opportunity again and I know I will be tired as hell when I stroll in tomorrow night around 3 am.   

I told my boss and he said I couldn’t have off so I told him again and he said ok ( 8 years in with 2 sick days). I have to buy him a hat. I don’t have a good feeling about tomorrow but goddamnit I want to be a part of it. 

Thanks for listning. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

That's the right attitude, Clintonaldo. If you lose, eh, you had a short li'l road trip with a friend. If you win, you'll remember it forever.

Enjoy the ride, amigo.

Thanks man, I know this is a Texas board so I tread lightly and I thought it was time for him to leave and I wasn’t excited when he came to Tennessee. He has pissed me off several times but he is a good coach and man. Purdue is good but we should win. I just want to catch a cool buzz and make memories. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, phdhorn said:

Tennessee did play well, but Ricky's ceiling will not be breached.  Good game though (mostly).  But he did a good job with 'em this year, won't be back the next tho, losing all those old guys.

Wait do you mean to tell me that the “Rick Barnes is actually a great coach who was boned by Texas” narrative is complete and total bullshit?

i think Shaka needs to be fired but I have no regrets about getting rid of Barnes

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Rick Barnes is a perfectly average coach and Tennessee deserves him

Rick is an above average coach in recruiting and his teams do pretty damn well in the regular season. College hoops is all about the tourney however, and his tourney record (with a huge sample size) is disappointing. 

1 minute ago, rickyspub said:

Did Rick ever have a starting 5 at Texas that was all upperclassmen? At the end here it seems like the team was always trying to integrate some heralded freshman or two and there was never any chemistry or consistency...basically like Shaka's entire tenure.

The Final Four squad was four upperclassmen + TJ (sophomore).

Edited by Machinator

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

So I didn’t watch the last five minutes of regulation. Did Barnes slow down the flow and momentum of the game again?

The end of the second half was just full-on badass hoops. Both squads drilling clutch shot after clutch shot. 

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

So I didn’t watch the last five minutes of regulation. Did Barnes slow down the flow and momentum of the game again?

You missed the best part of the game. Not much poor coaching, minus perhaps the handling of the last possession.

Edited by Machinator

Barnes did a hell of a job with this team but Tennessee started to show cracks late in the season. 

Luckily, Barnes ended up playing two double digit seeds in the first two rounds (Iowa and Colgate) or Tennessee probably would have been bounced earlier. They were lucky to escape Iowa and didn't look all that great against Colgate. 

I think this team is the predicament Barnes will have at Tennessee. Barnes best teams are ones like this one. A team with a bunch of upperclassmen and tough/physical players. The problem is there's a ceiling on teams with that type talent level. 

• Like 1

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

I think this team is the predicament Barnes will have at Tennessee. Barnes best teams are ones like this one. A team with a bunch of upperclassmen and tough/physical players. The problem is there's a ceiling on teams with that type talent level. 

For a school like Tennessee, that's just fine.

He does have a top-20 player signed in the 2019 class, though.

Just now, Machinator said:

For a school like Tennessee, that's just fine.

He does have a top-20 player signed in the 2019 class, though.

Yeah, but that's the predicament. Barnes might be a better coach with players like this Tennessee squad. Some coaches aren't great at handling one and done types. 

Raise your hand if you’re looking forward to  Big Derkas 25 paragraph explanation of why Rick Barnes is still a great coach despite consistently shitting the bed every. single. year.
Wait. Why don’t I see any hands?!?!?!?
Hes a top 30 coach in the nation, derka knows this as we do. He isnt a top 15 coach. He will never win a national championship but he will make a truck load of money.

He is mike leach.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

Rick is an above average coach in recruiting and his teams do pretty damn well in the regular season. College hoops is all about the tourney however, and his tourney record (with a huge sample size) is disappointing. 

This.  Rick just comes to that playoff hump.....and is not able to get over it.  I like Rick.  Good luck next year.

2 hours ago, markstanco said:

Hes a top 30 coach in the nation, derka knows this as we do. He isnt a top 15 coach. He will never win a national championship but he will make a truck load of money.

He is mike leach.

This is stupid. A top 30 coach doesn't make the sweet 16 as often as he as over his career. Barnes is easily a top 20 if not a top 15 coach. This team, much like his 2011 Texas team, over performed their talent level for most of the season. That's the markings of a good coach. It took an absolute elite display of shooting to prevent him from making the elite 8. Barnes is a good coach, he's not elite, but he's definitely a good coach.

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

This is stupid. A top 30 coach doesn't make the sweet 16 as often as he as over his career. Barnes is easily a top 20 if not a top 15 coach. This team, much like his 2011 Texas team, over performed their talent level for most of the season. That's the markings of a good coach. It took an absolute elite display of shooting to prevent him from making the elite 8. Barnes is a good coach, he's not elite, but he's definitely a good coach.

Barnes has made one Sweet 16 the last 10 years and that was this year, right?. Texas Tech has now made the Elite 8 for 2 straight seasons. If you had told me from 2003-2008 that Barnes was a top 15 coach then sure. Now? No. 

47 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Barnes is a top-5 coach from November to January.... a top-30 coach from January to March.... and an average tournament coach.

HOW DARE YOU RICK BARNES IS A GOD THE NUMBER OF TIME DERKA HAS SUCK....

Oh yeah, that's pretty much correct. 

This isn't really the moment to tell Tennessee fans that the team overachieved based on its talent or that they should be happy just to have Rick Barnes, etc. This was a 2-seed that battled for a 1 most of the season. For the season to end in the Sweet 16, it's a disappointment, whether that's fully rational or not. Same thing with Michigan-- came up short for the regular season title, didn't win the conference tournament, didn't make the Final Four. You can point at holes in the lineup, say they should be grateful to win 30, etc, but any time a season as promising as this one ends short of the Final Four, it's disappointing.

• Like 1

You can be a top-15 coach throughout the year and not win a national title because usually you end up facing other top-15 coaches after the first round or two of the tourney.

2019: lost to Matt Painter

2018: lost to Loyola-Chicago who had the elite octogenarian nun in the tourney.

2015: lost to Chris Holtmann (then at Butler, now leading the Ohio State turnaround)

2014: lost to Beilein

2012: lost to Mick Cronin

2011: lost to Sean Miller

2010: lost to Dino Gaudio, who is clearly the most amazing co-oh, right, he's been an announcer for years.

2009: lost to Coach K

2008: lost to Calipari

I could go back further - and somebody else is free to do so - but I think there's merit to the idea that Barnes is a top-20 or so coach who tends to stumble when he runs across the coaches in the top 15. Not all of the results I listed are HoF guys, obviously, but the guys who bounce him from the tourney more often than not tend to be the elite guys.