Rick Barnes thread

Goo Punch

1 minute ago, HookEm said:

I really think that our recruiting "success" has been our undoing over the last 10 years. We lose our best players every year before they even become very productive. 

I think there's a lot of truth to this. We are trying to adopt the Kentucky/Duke model but we don't land that type talent. 

Just look at this year's final 4. It's upperclassmen heavy with limited 1st round NBA talent. The 3 to 4 year guys have more value than the one and done types at Texas. 

This is also why I wouldn't take more than 2 HS recruits a cycle. There's more value in the grad transfer market. Get guys with game that have experience. Texas Tech, for example, wouldn't be where they are without Owens and Mooney. Neither will probably sniff the NBA but good players with experience. 

In the college game it comes down to this: the teams that win, particularly in march and april, have guys who can handle the ball, and guys who can score. period. and it's very rare that any particular team lands a freshman who can really do either, much less both. the teams that are winning leagues and playing well into the tourney all feature these guys, and these are guys who come in with a particular skill set that gets developed over time, so not your De'Aaron Fox, Lonzo Ball, Trae Young types.

Some recent examples off the top of my head- Frank Mason, Buddy Hield, Monte Morris, Jevon Carter, Bryce Brown, Carsen Edwards, Kyle Guy, Cassius Winston, Isaiah Taylor, and so on. Player development is huge, and Shaka is severely lacking in this department. whoever replaces him needs to have a pedigree in player development, or a top assistant who's known for it. that's how you build a winning roster in college hoops. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Barnes was fucking done here. The fact that some can't accept that is ridiculous. He was on  Mack Brown trajectory, without ever having won shit. Sucks our next hire was a joke, but it doesn't mean it wasn't time to move on.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

We like him but aren’t going to suck his dick and pretend he doesn’t have some major issues.

??? you're not gonna suck his dick? what the hell does that even mean? you guys went through a rough period where your program was both shitty and dirty, then Barnes comes in and takes your crap talent and turns it into a team that goes 51-15 (28-8) over the last two years, he takes multiple 2* recruits and turns them into All Conference/All Americans, the last two years he's won the National Coach of the Year once and was the runner up the other time, all while keeping the program clean, and yet the moment you hear that another school is interested your response is, "good, leave, nobody here wants you." All while Barnes seems to be thrilled to be there. 

News flash: You are an objectively shitty fan, and so are a large majority of your "REAL UT!!!!" brethren. I sat here all year mystified as to why why I, a Longhorn fan, was consistently rooting for Tennessee to do well while people like you only popped in every once in a while to complain or moan, but after spending a season reading you guys' message boards/postings it's clear: you guys just suck. you also have the same little brother complex about Texas as aggies. I hope Barnes does leave and your program goes into the shitter again. jesus christ you Vols are a weird, ungrateful bunch. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Deej said:

Barnes was fucking done here. The fact that some can't accept that is ridiculous. He was on  Mack Brown trajectory, without ever having won shit. Sucks our next hire was a joke, but it doesn't mean it wasn't time to move on.

who exactly are you referring to? who here hasn't accepted that it was time for Barnes to move on?

10 minutes ago, Deej said:

Everyone accepts that Barnes was done by the end, even Derka.

Also, Rick Barnes certainly  "won shit" in his glory years here. In his first 10 seasons, he won 3 conference championships (more than Mack) and made the second weekend 5 times, including 3 Elite Eights and a Final Four.

He fell off in the 2010s and that's why he had to go, but let's not pretend that you're a failure in this sport at Texas if you don't win national championships. This isn't baseball or football.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

Yesterday- Rick Barnes wins National Coach of the Year. No response from Vols fans here.

Today- UCLA reportedly has interest in Barnes- Clintonaldo- "Vol nation says get out". 

lmao, i'm still stunned. that's hilariously stupid. you don't deserve Barnes or any if the success he's brought you. crhist that's just unimaginably ungrateful, particularly for a "football school" that doesn't even have a good football program. 

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

??? you're not gonna suck his dick? what the hell does that even mean? you guys went through a rough period where your program was both shitty and dirty, then Barnes comes in and takes your crap talent and turns it into a team that goes 51-15 (28-8) over the last two years, he takes multiple 2* recruits and turns them into All Conference/All Americans, the last two years he's won the National Coach of the Year once and was the runner up the other time, all while keeping the program clean, and yet the moment you hear that another school is interested your response is, "good, leave, nobody here wants you." All while Barnes seems to be thrilled to be there. 

News flash: You are an objectively shitty fan, and so are a large majority of your "REAL UT!!!!" brethren. I sat here all year mystified as to why why I, a Longhorn fan, was consistently rooting for Tennessee to do well while people like you only popped in every once in a while to complain or moan, but after spending a season reading you guys' message boards/postings it's clear: you guys just suck. you also have the same little brother complex about Texas as aggies. I hope Barnes does leave and your program goes into the shitter again. jesus christ you Vols are a weird, ungrateful bunch. 

Lol. Your dad might have been a legend but your are a legendary fuck up. You aren’t shit and will never be shit. Go flick your boogers elsewhere and stop projecting fake arguments. 

One of the main reasons I hope he leaves is so you will follow him to his next stop. Bye bitch

• Like 2

Just now, Machinator said:

Everyone accepts that Barnes was done by the end, even Derka.

Also, Rick Barnes certainly  "won shit" in his glory years here. In his first 10 seasons, he won 3 conference championships (more than Mack) and made the second weekend 5 times, including 3 Elite 8s and a Final Four.

He fell off in the 2010s and that's why he had to go, but let's not pretend that you're a failure at Texas if you don't win national championships. This isn't baseball or football.

went to the S16 five times in six years, went to three Elite 8's and a Final Four, won the conference three times, sent a ton of guys to the NBA and put the Texas program on the map. 

"didn't win shit." lol ok.

Just now, Clintonaldo said:

Lol. Your dad might have been a legend but your are a legendary fuck up. You aren’t shit and will never be shit. Go flick your boogers elsewhere and stop projecting fake arguments. 

One of the main reasons I hope he leaves is so you will follow him to his next stop. Bye bitch

lol ok.

all i can do is laugh. never before have i witnessed a coach be such a home run of a hire only to have his own fans actively dislike him, and root against him, and refuse to enjoy the amazing turnaround he's done with their program. what a miserable way to live. 

3 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

Oh wow. Coach of the year. Hang the fucking banner 

Derka's impassioned Barnes rants aside, whom could you hire that's a fairly sure thing that's better? I'm sure that there are some up-and-comers Tennessee would look at (I'm thinking of Steve Forbes at ETSU), but it feels fairly risky when the Vols just now are back to being consistently good, if nothing else.

16 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

Most likely this. Their offer to Calipari was hilarious. 

Why was it hilarious? Everyone knew he wouldn't take it but you gotta take your shot. Hell, they offered him less than he was already making.

9 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Yesterday- Rick Barnes wins National Coach of the Year. No response from Vols fans here.

Today- UCLA reportedly has interest in Barnes- Clintonaldo- "Vol nation says get out". 

lmao, i'm still stunned. that's hilariously stupid. you don't deserve Barnes or any if the success he's brought you. crhist that's just unimaginably ungrateful, particularly for a "football school" that doesn't even have a good football program. 

Everyone knows Barnes isn't coach of the year, get real.

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Derka's impassioned Barnes rants aside, whom could you hire that's a fairly sure thing that's better? I'm sure that there are some up-and-comers Tennessee would look at (I'm thinking of Steve Forbes at ETSU), but it feels fairly risky when the Vols just now are back to being consistently good, if nothing else.

Funny you said Forbes because he would be my answer and loved Tennessee from his time with Bruce. Problem is the Bruce baggage and I don’t know if we would take him but I think enough time has passed. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

went to the S16 five times in six years, went to three Elite 8's and a Final Four, won the conference three times, sent a ton of guys to the NBA and put the Texas program on the map. 

"didn't win shit." lol ok.

Barnes definitely raised our BB program level, only to have Shaka pull it back down.  I think Barnes will stay at Tenn after a nice bump in salary.  He's no spring chicken any more, and I'm not sure he'd acclimate to the California lifestyle.  But, then again, I don't know anything.

7 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Barnes definitely raised our BB program level, only to have Shaka pull it back down.  I think Barnes will stay at Tenn after a nice bump in salary.  He's no spring chicken any more, and I'm not sure he'd acclimate to the California lifestyle.  But, then again, I don't know anything.

Might not get that bump. Rumor is he doesn’t feel appreciated. If he wants to go he can go. 

25 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

Might not get that bump. Rumor is he doesn’t feel appreciated. If he wants to go he can go. 

Listen man, i am not trying to start anything with you here, i'm being 100% sincere here and just replying to your post. You seem to keep alluding to the idea that Barnes doesn't "feel appreciated" as to the reason that Vols fans would be okay letting him go, instead of even considering that it could be the other way around- maybe he's not feeling appreciated and thinking about leaving because you guys legit don't appreciate him.

I mean there's not a whole lot you can say about that. You guys were #1 in America for a month, a school record, and the whole time it was happening you, and other Vols fans here, and scores of Vols fans on other sites were all just waiting for the rug to be pulled out from under you instead of ever enjoying or appreciating it. Your post history here speaks for itself- you weren't on board when y'all hired Barnes, you've never vocally supported him or believed in him, you genuinely seemed to not enjoy this season at all, and now you're saying, "rumor is he doesn't feel appreciated." Whether that rumor is true or not, you are a shining example of a Vols fan who has never wanted or appreciated Rick Barnes and what he's done for your program. You don't get to hold that against him when the rumor is totally plausible based on reality. 

10 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Listen man, i am not trying to start anything with you here, i'm being 100% sincere here and just replying to your post. You seem to keep alluding to the idea that Barnes doesn't "feel appreciated" as to the reason that Vols fans would be okay letting him go, instead of even considering that it could be the other way around- maybe he's not feeling appreciated and thinking about leaving because you guys legit don't appreciate him.

I mean there's not a whole lot you can say about that. You guys were #1 in America for a month, a school record, and the whole time it was happening you, and other Vols fans here, and scores of Vols fans on other sites were all just waiting for the rug to be pulled out from under you instead of ever enjoying or appreciating it. Your post history here speaks for itself- you weren't on board when y'all hired Barnes, you've never vocally supported him or believed in him, you genuinely seemed to not enjoy this season at all, and now you're saying, "rumor is he doesn't feel appreciated." Whether that rumor is true or not, you are a shining example of a Vols fan who has never wanted or appreciated Rick Barnes and what he's done for your program. You don't get to hold that against him when the rumor is totally plausible based on reality. 

I think you are a good guy and I’m sorry for being a dick but Rick pushing all about the family and then looking for another job is bullshit. I honestly don’t care if he stays or leaves. He underachieved when it mattered. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

I for one would openly welcome Rick Barnes.  I think he would be a home run.

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

At UCLA, Barnes would be back to recruiting 5-star one and done... which is exactly the wrong player for him to focus on. It would be a repeat of Texas, but with a more demanding fan base.

Even with that Rick still popped with the 2011 season where the team over performed for the majority of the regular season before getting jobbed by the refs in Arizona game.  That team could've easily won it all that year.  And his final season would've been great if he had more guards who were up to the task. I think a big issue with Rick's failings during the last 4 years at Texas is partly due  to the overall guard/wing talent being below par. With DFW essentially closed off to him (and Shaka for that matter) from a recruiting standpoint we were hurting in guard play for most of those years.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

I agree.  When a huge talent base in the state (DFW) is essentially closed off from you unless you're willing play ($$$) then its gonna be felt.  The lone guard/ wing we've gotten out DFW over the last decade happened to be an extraordinary late bloomer(Andrew Jones).  

2 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

unfortunately they weren't wrong

i think they were. they didn't have some late season collapse, their only losses were tough road games against highly ranked conference foes, sometimes with the aid of the officials. there was no collapse, they just lost the games they were always favored to lose. 

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

At UCLA, Barnes would be back to recruiting 5-star one and done... which is exactly the wrong player for him to focus on. It would be a repeat of Texas, but with a more demanding fan base.

I think that is the problem at every school not named Kentucky, Duke, UNC, and maybe Kansas.  Trying to win with freshmen and sophomores just doesn't work in most case.  We had exactly zero seniors and one underachieving junior.  The rest were FR/So and it showed.  And now 2 of them are leaving (to not get drafted but convinced they are perennial all-stars).  We absolutely have to get back to recruiting hard-nosed, fundamentally sound players who will be in the program for 3-4 years.

@Braff Zacklin

I don't know specifically why,  but the results bare it out. In the last 16 years I can only think of 1 perennial bigtime guy we've gotten out of there (LaMarcus  Aldridge;  both Andrew Jones and Myles Turner came on late in their high school careers but we were on them well before others viewed them in that light,  and Prince Ibeh and DeMarcus Holland were minimally heralded recruits). People who follow recruiting more than me say it begins and ends with Mitch Malone who is the director of the most talent rich AAU program up there. Judging by guys who've made the NBA over the last 20 years, the metroplex has arguably been the most talented area of the state and we can't even get in the door with most of them.  We have major issues pulling recruits out of the metroplex and it's affected both Barnes and Shaka.

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

i think they were. they didn't have some late season collapse, their only losses were tough road games against highly ranked conference foes, sometimes with the aid of the officials. there was no collapse, they just lost the games they were always favored to lose. 

They were favored to lose against Purdue? And against auburn twice in March? News to me!

You do mental gymnastics at the Olympic level when it comes to Rick Barnes 

15 hours ago, Clintonaldo said:

I think you are a good guy and I’m sorry for being a dick but Rick pushing all about the family and then looking for another job is bullshit. I honestly don’t care if he stays or leaves. He underachieved when it mattered. 

Sorry, but being #1 for a month and then reaching the Sweet Sixteen at Tennessee isn't underachieving, 2 seed or not.  

Edited by Ghost of Shag