Rick Barnes thread

Goo Punch

Rick was not awful. Say what you want about his dalliances with co-eds, but that motherfucker could recruit for his system. Sure, the end wasn't great but that guy got us on the map. It's our own incompetence that has squandered the foothold he carved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

Rick was not awful. Say what you want about his dalliances with co-eds, but that motherfucker could recruit for his system. Sure, the end wasn't great but that guy got us on the map. It's our own incompetence that has squandered the foothold he carved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

he most definitely wasn't awful, but he was definitely an unlikable asshole his last 3-4 years and that's 100% on him.

it's also the reason he's not as fondly remembered as his record suggests he should be.

Edited by BigOrange1

7 hours ago, VRHorn said:

Who is the only person to hold Jordan under 30 points a game? Dean Smith

Who is the only person to hold KD under 30 points a game? Rick Barnes

Yeah KD really struggled under Barnes. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Fuck You 1

Guest Guest
1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

Damn, I just read that Tennessee doesn’t have a single commit from the c/o 2018 because they return essentially everyone. The latter I knew, but the former is surprising. I have to assume they’ll be in on a grad transfer or two.

Whatever happens, be sure to keep us up to date!

Guest MotownHorn
5 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

ESPN has Tennessee ranked 8th heading into next year. They definitely need to add piece or two (some big men would be nice) but if they can shoot and defend the way they did this year they’ll be ok.

Could you maybe migrate to the Tennessee fan forum, please?

• 1 month later...

52d83f6059c540d9b591efea9586b971.jpg

60b72ccc543f08d7e706e01b35571921.jpg

This feels like one of those cases where nobody realized how good Tennessee was until the very end of last season, and now they’re over-correcting and putting lofty expectations on a college team with no future NBA players and no incoming freshman class. I think a top 15 season would be great, and no sort of underachievement at all. It will be interesting to see Tennessee with a target on their back from the get-go. I think they have the mental toughness to handle it, I just don’t see them as a top 5 team.

• Fuck You 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

this post should probably go here too:

I think that Tennessee could be ranked a bit high,  but their ceiling is definitely final four caliber. If they can simply get repeat performances from Schofield and Williams (never mind if either one improves) they're off to a great start. It's a deep team that shot lights out last year, and if they do that again then they will be real contenders this year.

Their guard trio (Bowden, Turner, and Bone) is really good, and they have plenty of role players on the bench. They'll play Gonzaga and probably KU in the early season as well as Louisville, WVU (Big XII vs SEC), and obviously UK twice, so they'll have some good tests throughout the season. Plus the SEC is no longer a total joke of a conference, so they'll have every chance to earn that ranking. Should be a really good team though.

My biggest question is how they handle have a total 180 on expectations this year. Last year they were picked to finish 13th in the SEC and they won the league and finished as a top 10 national team. This year have their highest ever preseason ranking. I like the makeup of this team, both skill wise and mentally. It has the potential to be one if Rick Barnes best ever teams, even up there with his 2003, 2006, and 2008 Texas teams. Should be a fun season.