Rick Barnes thread

Goo Punch

7 minutes ago, justhookit said:

You may want to look at a list of number 1 draft picks, which Kevin wasnt, and see how they did in the tournament. 

Not sure what that proves. KD is one of the 2-3 best basketball players on the planet for the last 15 years. He's one of the best collegiate freshman of all time. And it's not like we lost a close game to USC. We got curbstomped.

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Not sure what that proves. KD is one of the 2-3 best basketball players on the planet for the last 15 years. He's one of the best collegiate freshman of all time. And it's not like we lost a close game to USC. We got curbstomped.

It proves you don’t know fuck-all about what you are talking about.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, C-Man said:

dude, i've gone over this with a fine toothed comb on both this site and shaggy ad nauseam. the 2007 team spent 95% of the year unranked; they had a grand total of one really good win on the entire season, a 2OT home win vs A&M. we lost at home to a shitty K State team that year, a much worse loss than the loss to USC.

the fact is, we never deserved a 4 seed to begin with, we just got handed one because of KD. and the USC team with Taj Gibson, Nick Young, and Tim Floyd deserved better than a 5 seed themselves. again, 2007 Texas was *the youngest* starting lineup in ncaa tourney history, and they had an incredibly small and inexperienced back court. the very next year, sans KD, that same team went to the Elite 8. those are the facts. was the margin of defeat egregious and upsetting? yep. was the loss itself anywhere near as bad as the myth that it's made out to be? nope. the idea that the 2007 team was some wildly underachieving team is false revisionist history. be better than that.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

who here, aside from detroit horn, obsesses over rick barnes? i mean i agree with you that being a grown man who is obsessed with a college basketball coach is super super sad, but again, nobody here aside from detroit horn even approaches that. we have a thread for barnes exactly the same as we do for smart, herman, strong, and mack. that's not obsessive, that's SOP. 

You literally started this thread on a longhorn board for a coach who coaches doesn't coach for this school and coaches for a school you didn't go to, whos the obsessed one

14 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

You literally started this thread on a longhorn board for a coach who coaches doesn't coach for this school and coaches for a school you didn't go to, whos the obsessed one

the original Barnes thread from TOS was started by someone else, just like the threads about Mack, Charlie, Herman, and Shaka. i made the first post of the continuation of that thread on this site. 

38 minutes ago, justhookit said:

And we all know how that turned out. Now do the other years.

Lets try some other years, here are the national players of the year just like KD was

2005 Andrew Bogut - Sweet 16 oh hey he was the #1 pick, the #2 pick won the championship

2006 JJ Reddick - Sweet 16 oh hey the #2 pick went to Texas and even made the Elite 8

2008 Tyler Hansbrough - Final 4

2009 Blake Griffin - Elite 8 oh hey he was the #1 pick the #2 pick went to the Final 4

2010 Evan Turner  - Sweet 16 oh hey he was the #2 pick

2011 Jimmer Fredette - Sweet 16

2012 Anthony Davis - NCAA champion oh hey he was the #1 pick the #2 pick was on the same team

2013 Trey Burke - Championship game oh hey the #2 pick went to the Sweet 16

So yeah, looks pretty bad for your argument

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Lets try some other years, here are the national players of the year just like KD was

2005 Andrew Bogut - Sweet 16 oh hey he was the #1 pick, the #2 pick won the championship

2006 JJ Reddick - Sweet 16 oh hey the #2 pick went to Texas and even made the Elite 8

2009 Blake Griffin - Elite 8 oh hey he was the #1 pick the #2 pick went to the Final 4

2012 Anthony Davis - NCAA champion oh hey he was the #1 pick the #2 pick was on the same team

I see you are regarded too. In the other year Barnes had the NPOY (I said #1 pick but regardless), he fucking went to the Final 4. What do you think might have been the difference? Same coach.

so besides naming a bunch of players that played for Duke and Carolina and Kentucky and Michigan that mostly lost in the round after Durant did, you’re left with a Utah player who won a whole extra game, a dude from Ohio State that won a whole extra game, and Blow U. All of which are better basketball programs than we ever were before or since Barnes.

after you cut your list off you have a player at Creighton who lost in the 2nd or 3rd round, kaminsky who was great and on a hell of a team,  Hield who lost in the sweet 16 (and I loved watching him play),  Mason at KU,  a national champion at Villanova, a first round or 2nd round loss at Dayton, Zion - elite8 I think at Duke, Cunningham at OSU. I’m sure I missed one or 2. In other words more than half did “better” than Durant but almost all played at better basketball schools. And Ford made the Final 4. So I’d pretty much call that par for the course for those types of players. Oh, the other thing. We never GOT those kind of players before Barnes. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Barnes worst luck was timing. If KD was a year older or younger we’d have won a title I truly believe. Or, if TJ would have stayed one more year. Just never lined up with our two studs being a part of an experienced and awesome team. Both those teams after TJ and alas had all the pieces to win it all they just were not old enough. 
How about Self not winning it all with Embiid and Wiggins?  Or Duke with Zion and Barrett and some other guys?

The idea that the KD team was some gross underachieving team was just not based in reality. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

Barnes worst luck was timing. If KD was a year older or younger we’d have won a title I truly believe. Or, if TJ would have stayed one more year. Just never lined up with our two studs being a part of an experienced and awesome team. Both those teams after TJ and alas had all the pieces to win it all they just were not old enough. 
How about Self not winning it all with Embiid and Wiggins?  Or Duke with Zion and Barrett and some other guys?

The idea that the KD team was some gross underachieving team was just not based in reality. 

We had a couple teams that could have won it all with some better luck or better play in key moments. That KD team wasn’t one of them. Every year I have a tradition where I pick Texas one round past where I think they will get to. In the KD year I had them getting bounced in the elite 8, because I felt like their ceiling was sweet 16. They lost 1 round too early.  Truly, I’d say that’s Barnes tradition, losing one round too early. That’s not great but it’s not Tony Bennett level bad either. 

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

you're the type of human piece of shit to hear a man who you know is mentally ill talk about how he constantly wishes he was dead, and take that as your cue to make a post in the hoops forum for the first time in five years, just to talk shit to that guy. fuck you, fuck your family, fuck your kids, and fuck everything you love. truly. you're a human piece of shit. i wish all of the bad things upon you and those you love. may your kids be bipolar, and sexually and physically abused as children, and cutting themselves by the age of 12, and in mental hospitals at 13, and in jail at 15. just like me. i truly wish that upon you. and good luck having your fucked up ass kids survive all of that to become as kickass as i am. you should have been texdude.

Either this escalated quickly, or you have some unresolved issues with ERhine.

5 hours ago, C-Man said:

Its almost like basketball is a team sport....we see it every year. You have teams like Kentucky with insane talent that lose to teams with seniors and guys who know the game and know how to win together. Crazy concept.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Its almost like basketball is a team sport....we see it every year. You have teams like Kentucky with insane talent that lose to teams with seniors and guys who know the game and know how to win together. Crazy concept.

Karma catching up with Calipari is so sweet.

you're the type of human piece of shit to hear a man who you know is mentally ill talk about how he constantly wishes he was dead, and take that as your cue to make a post in the hoops forum for the first time in five years, just to talk shit to that guy. fuck you, fuck your family, fuck your kids, and fuck everything you love. truly. you're a human piece of shit. i wish all of the bad things upon you and those you love. may your kids be bipolar, and sexually and physically abused as children, and cutting themselves by the age of 12, and in mental hospitals at 13, and in jail at 15. just like me. i truly wish that upon you. and good luck having your fucked up ass kids survive all of that to become as kickass as i am. you should have been texdude.

What a terrible thing to say and wish upon someone. I certainly hope you were extremely intoxicated when you wrote that out and shocked to read it when you wake up this morning. 

• Like 1

This is the edited version? What was the unedited version like?

Always amazes me the level of praise/blame put on a coach. TN lived and died by the 3, yesterday they died by it with probably their worst shooting performance this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, justhookit said:

Our basketball “fans” suck. Y’all are on here shitting on a coach that was far and away the best we’ve ever had here. It’s not even close. Did the end of his tenure suck? Sure it did. But he put us on the map in a way we’ve never been before and got us in a position to hire Shakablah. Utter failure but he was turning down teams with way better pedigree than we have. And then we got Beard. A bunch of us really, really like what we are seeing. But sure let’s go back to Penders and Weltlich and Lemons and Black and Bradley.

the vitriol for the best coach we’ve ever had, by far, is amazing. We’ve had 36 NCAA tournament berths since WW2. 16 were under Barnes.

Agreed. But you are talking about the same forum that also hates Mack Brown after the only MNC we had in 35 years prior and took Colt to nearly a second win unless he doesn’t get hurt. This forum just likes to bitch. Shaka sucks. It’s called a body of work. Barnes has a body of work and it doesn’t suck. Our fans suck. I have to be honest being at basketball games it’s embarrassing how most of our fans seem like they had nothing to do for the night and are just sitting there. But we’re Texas and all that…at least we are still in the tournament. 

• Hook 'Em 2

It also cant be understated how impactful and important it was just getting KD on campus. The fact that he even went here is huge. Only UT fans would say "yeah but they didnt win a championship with him so it wasnt good enough" lol.

But really though, i did not expect to wake up this morning and read derka giving some dude a gypsy curse. That's hilarious.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Thanks for doing the work I wasn't prepared to do at 3AM on a Sunday morning. The fact is that NONE of those guys can sniff Durant's jock either when it comes to playing basketball. I'm not really a massive Durant fan in the first place -- he was only at Texas for a year -- and I abhorred the way he bailed on OKC to move to Golden State. (Full disclosure -- I'm a lifelong Spurs fan who hates the LeBron-started AAU'ing of the NBA.) He's thin-skinned AF and his social media foibles are embarrassing.

That said, he is one of the absolute best basketball players I have ever seen -- and he was good enough to win the Wooden Award as a freshman. I've never seen a player make it look so easy to score buckets. I don't care how young the 2007 team was -- there was serious talent on the roster. Getting blown out by 20 in the Round of 32 was BAD.

Barnes was a great coach for Texas at one time, the best we'd ever had. But like many other instances, he never quite got over the hump despite having tons and tons of talent come through during his tenure. I don't begrudge him that. I mean we're not Duke or North Carolina or Kentucky when it comes to men's basketball. We are for football, or we should be anyways. It's all good. It was time for him to move on at the time. For whatever reason, his style does not readily translate to tournament success.

2 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Agreed. But you are talking about the same forum that also hates Mack Brown after the only MNC we had in 35 years prior and took Colt to nearly a second win unless he doesn’t get hurt. This forum just likes to bitch. Shaka sucks. It’s called a body of work. Barnes has a body of work and it doesn’t suck. Our fans suck. I have to be honest being at basketball games it’s embarrassing how most of our fans seem like they had nothing to do for the night and are just sitting there. But we’re Texas and all that…at least we are still in the tournament. 

My issue with Mack -- and it seems to be a pretty popular opinion on here -- is that his exit was so messy and bitch-made that he basically ruined his legacy for many of us. He was setting all kind of shit on fire because he didn't want to get fired and then didn't want somebody like Saban coming in to succeed him. Thanks for the 2005 title and it pains me to this day that we didn't get a fair shot at Bama due to Colt's freak injury, but he can rightly fuck off now.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, justhookit said:

I see you are regarded too. In the other year Barnes had the NPOY (I said #1 pick but regardless), he fucking went to the Final 4. What do you think might have been the difference? Same coach.

so besides naming a bunch of players that played for Duke and Carolina and Kentucky and Michigan that mostly lost in the round after Durant did, you’re left with a Utah player who won a whole extra game, a dude from Ohio State that won a whole extra game, and Blow U. All of which are better basketball programs than we ever were before or since Barnes.

after you cut your list off you have a player at Creighton who lost in the 2nd or 3rd round, kaminsky who was great and on a hell of a team,  Hield who lost in the sweet 16 (and I loved watching him play),  Mason at KU,  a national champion at Villanova, a first round or 2nd round loss at Dayton, Zion - elite8 I think at Duke, Cunningham at OSU. I’m sure I missed one or 2. In other words more than half did “better” than Durant but almost all played at better basketball schools. And Ford made the Final 4. So I’d pretty much call that par for the course for those types of players. Oh, the other thing. We never GOT those kind of players before Barnes. 

You sound like a fucking loser, no wonder you're happy with Barnes

9 hours ago, justhookit said:

You may want to look at a list of number 1 draft picks, which Kevin wasnt, and see how they did in the tournament. 

8 hours ago, justhookit said:

And we all know how that turned out. Now do the other years.

6 hours ago, justhookit said:

I don't hate Barnes like many here do but this is an embarrassing message board performance. Here, let's analyze while keeping in mind that the argument is "It was really bad that Barnes didn't make the Sweet 16 with Kevin Durant, and even worse that he got blown out in the second round":

1. "You may want to look at a list of number 1 draft picks, which Kevin wasnt, and see how they did in the tournament." Translation - "Here I am cherry picking some data which I readily admit isn't even relevant because it doesn't apply to the player we're talking about, that will surely show you!!!"

2. "And we all know how that turned out. Now do the other years." Translation: "Sure you took me up on my argument in the most relevant year to the discussion because it was literally the same year and totally destroyed what I said but let's ignore that."

3. "I see you are regarded too. In the other year Barnes had the NPOY (I said #1 pick but regardless), he fucking went to the Final 4." This is just magnificent in its terribleness. A true treasure. Translation: "Okay you may have posted a list that does apply more to the argument than what I wanted you to do and destroyed me with a series of 8 seasons around Kevin Durant where every single team got to the Sweet 16 unlike Rick Barnes with Durant, but now I'm going to go back and try to grab some other thing that also doesn't apply to our argument but is at least relevant because it's a NPOY and Barnes unlike my #1 pick red herring. However, let's note that I'm still not actually addressing the argument which, again, is that it was really bad that Barnes didn't make the Sweet 16 with Kevin Durant, and even worse that he got blown out in the second round.

"Now here is a list of reasons why every single one of your 8 seasons that directly disprove my point have like exceptions and stuff and extenuating circumstances and other reasons why even though I'm completely wrong you're still a doo doo head."

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Brew said:

This is the edited version? What was the unedited version like?

Always amazes me the level of praise/blame put on a coach. TN lived and died by the 3, yesterday they died by it with probably their worst shooting performance this year. 

And if they’d have gone 4/18 they would have cruised to a win likely. When they were up 6 and in danger of taking control of the game they missed like 6 wide ass open 3’s in a row while Michigan went in their run. Even hitting a couple likely breaks the game open/keeps Tennessee up a comfortable amount 

Nothing but love for Rick Barnes, he was the best coach we've ever had. Yes the end of his tenure coaching Texas was bad, but he turned Texas basketball into a respectable brand that was completely demolished by that clown Shaka Smart. I wanted to see the Vols do well in the tourney, I'd trade the Vols' last six seasons in a heart beat at least they managed to reach the sweet 16 Shaka couldn't even win a single tourney game.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

91B+BF7XUTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Yeah, it wasn’t the youngest starting lineup. But it was the youngest roster. Michigan had plenty of veterans on their team. The freshmen just beat them out. Texas had sophomore Abrams and that’s pretty much it. Aldridge, Tucker, Gibson left for the pros and Dowell transferred to UH. 

Texas was absolutely younger than that Michigan team. Considerably younger, actually.

35 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Yeah, it wasn’t the youngest starting lineup. But it was the youngest roster. Michigan had plenty of veterans on their team. The freshmen just beat them out. Texas had sophomore Abrams and that’s pretty much it. Aldridge, Tucker, Gibson left for the pros and Dowell transferred to UH. 

Texas was absolutely younger than that Michigan team. Considerably younger, actually.

Then that’s what he should have said instead of “2007 Texas was the youngest starting lineup in tourney history”.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Then that’s what he should have said instead of “2007 Texas was the youngest starting lineup in tourney history”.

I agree. I’m making the clarification because while it’s not accurate, there is still value in the sentiment. The team was demonstrably better the next year because everyone was a year older.

I actually predicted it at the time, posting it over and over again on multiple boards. Everyone said I was crazy to think Texas would be better after losing Durant, but I said they just didn’t understand the dynamics of the team, and I’d be proven right. Which I was. Probably one of my more prescient fan moments ever, really, simply because I was the only one saying it at the time, and I was extremely convicted in the face of a lot of mocking. 

But honestly that was a time when I followed everything way closer than I do now, attending multiple AAU tournaments and going to see 30 or so high school games a year, so I had a better understanding of the players on the roster than the average person.

Edited by SL Xpress

On 3/20/2022 at 3:35 AM, Michael Knight said:

I posted one sentence after Barnes lost in the tournament again like usual, didn’t mention Derka, have him on ignore, and he’s posting about me at 1 AM and calling me “obsessed”

JFC the lack of self-awareness. It’s very sad. 

Edited by MotownHorn

Tennessee has now guaranteed themselves 5 more years of not winning an NCAA Title! Will Vegas take that bet, because I would bet literally my entire house on that. 🤣

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee has rewarded men's basketball coach Rick Barnes for winning the Volunteers' first SEC tournament championship in 43 years with a contract extension through the 2026-27 season.

17 hours ago, StrippersAndNobelPrizes said:

Tennessee has now guaranteed themselves 5 more years of not winning an NCAA Title! Will Vegas take that bet, because I would bet literally my entire house on that. 🤣

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee has rewarded men's basketball coach Rick Barnes for winning the Volunteers' first SEC tournament championship in 43 years with a contract extension through the 2026-27 season.

Based simply on the fact that they have never won one, they are due in the next five years, right?

18 hours ago, StrippersAndNobelPrizes said:

I mean, if you are giving me even odds I'd bet my house against any school you want to name that they won't win the NCAA tournament in the next 5 years.  It's really fucking hard to win the NCAA tournament.  

Barnes might be a 1 seed next year if they all come back (they all can and should- right?).  At Tennessee.  Without being a clown.  Something nobody has ever done over there.  Why wouldn't they extend him?  Are you under the impression they can do better (narrator- they cannot do better). 

16 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean, if you are giving me even odds I'd bet my house against any school you want to name that they won't win the NCAA tournament in the next 5 years.  It's really fucking hard to win the NCAA tournament.  

Current Vegas odds:  House : Party Size Cool Ranch Doritos.

• Rage+1 1

21 hours ago, StrippersAndNobelPrizes said:

Cause winning the NCAA tourney is easy, right? It's not like they historically have a big time basketball program. They reached the Elite 8 once, ever. With the team they could potentially return next season reaching the Elite 8 sounds reasonable and would justify his contract extension.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i believe it was last year when i posted that Grant Williams may be Barnes's biggest success story in terms of player development, and at this point i don't think i need to say "probably" any more. absolutely nobody could have seen this coming for Grant when he signed with Tennessee. and he's always seemed like a great leader and a humble guy. he fell into the right hands with Boston, and he's a legitimately important piece for them. easy player to root for.