Rick Barnes thread

Goo Punch

1 minute ago, Firemans4Horn said:

the metric lives another year

Whatever. This was a successful tournament for him. Once his Pg went down late nobody had them in the sweet 16 and once the draw came out everyone had Duke over them and they were the Vegas dogs. 
they went a round further than anyone had them. There’s no way that’s a failure even if it is disappointing. Meanwhile shaka has lost 8 of his last 9 tournament games. 

• Hook 'Em 3

29 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I think if Barnes could build a team with a fantasy draft, if he had the ability to choose any players he wanted from all of basketball history to assemble his ideal roster, he would probably choose 12 Charles Oakleys.

Maybe 11 Charles Oakleys and an Anthony Mason.

FAU was vastly underrated and man..... Vols fans are going to eat him alive.

Edited by Patrick Bateman
Spelling is hard.

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Maybe 11 Charles Oakleys and an Anthony Mason.

FAMU was vastly overrated and man..... Vols fans are going to eat him alive.

They already are.

Couldn't hit the broad side of a Barnes

I tried to excuse the misses at Texas as bad luck.

He has been to 5 tourneys and lost 5/5 to lower seeds. Failing to exceed expectations once.

That is the epitome of consistently not getting it done unless your barometer for success is getting into the tourney.

Thankful he got us out of a bad situation but we are doomed to languish in purgatory with him.

And we never will make it with Barnes. Dude is almost 70. This school can recruit itself with NIL and all the resources/world class facilities, fan support and top arena. It’s time to move on and get a hungry up and coming coach

CRB looked way it out of his element today. And that saying something.

• Haha 1

I don't have anything against Barnes. I like him a great deal as a human being. 

I'm still glad he's struggling with tournament success. I'm just petty that way. I know a Sweet 16 is pretty good, but even then, losing to FAU is not going to feel good for Vol fans. 

Now if Chris Beard can channel his inner Gillispie in the next few years, that would be awesome.  

27 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Whatever. This was a successful tournament for him. Once his Pg went down late nobody had them in the sweet 16 and once the draw came out everyone had Duke over them and they were the Vegas dogs. 
they went a round further than anyone had them. There’s no way that’s a failure even if it is disappointing. Meanwhile shaka has lost 8 of his last 9 tournament games. 

This is probably true, but that’s really the problem. The win over a 5 seed as a 4 seed is by far his biggest win in the tournament since he beat a 3 seed as a 2 seem in the sweet 16 in 2008. 

10 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Florida Atlantic lol. Choke artist.

This is why this was absolutely not a successful tournament for him. The entire region busted wide open. Absolutely no reason to not get to the Elite 8 this year. Losing to a 9 seed Florida Atlantic as a 4 seed? And it wasn't a fluke lost. FAU kicked their ass in the 2nd half. Dominating them. Terrible loss but not surprising for Rick's tenure. It's what wore out his welcome here and time to move on. I would compare it to Mack brown but Rick doesn't even sniff the success Mack had but their tenures ended similarly. 

If Rick can't make it past the Sweet 16 when every single thing goes your way to where you are playing a 9 seed on the 2nd weekend, then no idea when or if he ever will. FAU needed a last second shot to beat Memphis round 1 and they came in and made them their bitch to end that game.

You can't follow up that win against Duke last week and lay an egg for what should have been an Elite 8 appearance and celebrate this season. But the standards are pretty low at this point with him so maybe this is his success at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I think if Barnes could build a team with a fantasy draft, if he had the ability to choose any players he wanted from all of basketball history to assemble his ideal roster, he would probably choose 12 Charles Oakleys.

Rick Barnes' NBA draft wet dream:

G- Michal Carter-Williams

G- Tony Allen

F- Trevor Ariza 

F- Dennis Rodman

C- Ben Wallace 

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Death, taxes, and Rick Barnes losing in March 

Hope everyone else made some money of the +200 FAU ML like I did!

How much did you lose betting on Duke to win? Because everyone had that. 
Every coach but 1 loses in March. There’s currently not a single coach alive in the tourney that can say they made it thru March without losing, even once. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm convinced that when RB finally retires he's going to go to the NCAA's office and attempt to redeem all of the unused timeouts he's squandered over the decades. Somewhere along the line somebody must've convinced him they're worth a hundred bucks each & he figures he's due a lump sum of about $12 million.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

What’s funny is if Rick goes to the EE that stupid metric that has him as the 8th worst tourney coach or whatever it is won’t change. 

That’s incorrect 

The metric is performance relative to seed

A 4 seed going to the elite 8 would be over performing his seed 

He performed as expected this year so actually better than usual! 😂

Edited by MotownHorn

18 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

That’s incorrect 

He performed as expected this year so actually better than usual! 😂

I’m aware of it. And what I’m saying is it tells part of a story but not the whole story. 
when measuring someone’s coaching ability I’m much more comfortable talking about total tourney appearances, wins in tournament, trips to sweet 16, final 4 etc. the oh Noe’s he got knocked out by a lower seeded team on average isnt the entirety of the story. 

That’s incorrect 
He performed as expected this year so actually better than usual!
Is it really over performing when the 1 seed was gone round 1 in your region? They played a 9 seed as a 4 seed last night. You absolutely have to win that game to get to the Elite 8.

Has Rick ever outperformed his seed in his tournament career? How many times in any given game in the tournament has he won the game as the lower seed?

That stat is insane and shows how far away he is from a good coach. He's not bad but he's not a good tournament coach. He has as many Final 4s as Shaka. Outside of that 5 year stretch where we made a Final 4 and two other Elite 8, what has he did in his career? His Final 4 was 20 years ago. He had KD and got blown out 2nd round by USC. His last time he got out of the 1st weekend is now 15 years ago.

18 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

The "typical Rick Barnes" jokes ring hollow for me this year considering he lost his star PG.  Also, Florida Atlantic has won 34 games this year. Up to #17 in Kenpom. They're not some fluke cinderella. They're a legit squad.

but it was typical Rick Barnes. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

The "typical Rick Barnes" jokes ring hollow for me this year considering he lost his star PG.  Also, Florida Atlantic has won 34 games this year. Up to #17 in Kenpom. They're not some fluke cinderella. They're a legit squad.

and #13 in the NET ranking - should have been seeded a lot higher.

Edited by The Dog

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

How much did you lose betting on Duke to win? Because everyone had that. 
Every coach but 1 loses in March. There’s currently not a single coach alive in the tourney that can say they made it thru March without losing, even once. 

I had Duke ML in a few parlays that would have hit big if they won but I also hedged with TN +4.5 or whatever and came out even on that game.

Whereas yesterday I rode the FAU ML and hedged with FAU +5 in some parlays.

Thank you for your interest.

39 minutes ago, The Dog said:

and #13 in the NET ranking - should have been seeded a lot higher.

Goddamit, how are so many people so bad at statistics?

Kenpom updates after every game. FAU has won 3 games in the tournament, obviously they have moved up in kenpom’s ratings. 

The only Kenpom rating that should be correlated to seeding is the ratings after the conference tournament games. FAU was 26th; so probably closer to a 7 seed. 

1 minute ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Goddamit, how are so many people so bad at statistics?

Kenpom updates after every game. FAU has won 3 games in the tournament, obviously they have moved up in kenpom’s ratings. 

The only Kenpom rating that should be correlated to seeding is the ratings after the conference tournament games. FAU was 26th; so probably closer to a 7 seed. 

I was quoting the NET rankings which haven't been updated since they announced the draw. 

and to be clear I'm not giving Barnes a pass - they went on a big scoring drought and let FAU into the game.

Edited by The Dog
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Is it really over performing when the 1 seed was gone round 1 in your region? They played a 9 seed as a 4 seed last night. You absolutely have to win that game to get to the Elite 8.

Has Rick ever outperformed his seed in his tournament career? How many times in any given game in the tournament has he won the game as the lower seed?

That stat is insane and shows how far away he is from a good coach. He's not bad but he's not a good tournament coach. He has as many Final 4s as Shaka. Outside of that 5 year stretch where we made a Final 4 and two other Elite 8, what has he did in his career? His Final 4 was 20 years ago. He had KD and got blown out 2nd round by USC. His last time he got out of the 1st weekend is now 15 years ago.

Pretty sure he got to the sweet 16 a few years ago and of course he did it again this year.