Rick Barnes thread

Goo Punch

tony bennett and matt painter are way worse than rick barnes. look at the team tennessee was fielding. going to the S16 is inarguably overachieving for that team, and yet it will be/is being treated as another postseason failure for barnes. he's a really good regular season coach, and a mediocre and underachieving tourney coach. there's still guys who have done far worse.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

if you’re old enough to remember UT basketball in the 80’s and you don’t love rick barnes then i just don’t know what to say. especially after seeing the types of guys we’ve tried to replace him with. his halftime interview just now vs purdue was awesome, vintage rick barnes. he called out the officials (talked a bunch of shit about them really), called out his team for not making shots, praised purdue for being physical while digging at the refs for not letting the teams play, and didn’t even acknowledge the fact that his team held purdue to 6-30 from the field because he’s always pissed. 

he wins a shit ton of games, he stays on the officials 24/7, his teams are always well built, tough, and deep (just like your mom), he’s never happy during a game (just like you), he's a great story teller, and he’s been scandal free for three decades in the slimiest sport around. he also really really cares about people and it really matters to him to turn his boys into men. after living through that soy boy beta cuck shaka and that drunken, rabid frat boy beard, i appreciate barnes even more now than i did before. the greatest and best coach in the history of both UT’s. man i hope he cuts down the nets one time before he retires. Team Barnes for life.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

the computers all still say that tennessee should have a great season, but i don’t see it. 

IMG_3894.thumb.jpeg.95540a04849baf8f193076b9686cab48.jpeg

nobody on this team will sniff the nba, and with ziegler and vescovi not playing particularly well i don’t see how this team gets to the 23-24 wins it’s projected to get. if barnes does get this team to a lofty record and a high seed then a)that’ll be an amazing coaching job, and b)i’ll feel bad for rick and the postseason expectations his team will have, because this team ain’t making it to the second weekend. it’s just not a particularly talented or good team.

Edited by shadow_operative

the defense is definitely more than the sum of its parts, as it always is with barnes. but offensively, if vescovi and ziegler don’t turn into the All-SEC players that they’re supposed to be, then this offense of theirs is going to struggle against good teams and in road games. 

IMG_3902.jpeg

IMG_3903.jpeg

IMG_3904.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Coach Regular Season continues to get it done with rosters that other coaches would struggle with, bereft of nba talent and any real shooters. it really is a shame for coach barnes that nobody cares about the regular season at all anymore, that everything comes down to tourney performance. when you compare his tourney record to his seed lines he’s a perennial underachiever. when you look at the actual rosters he’s working with (quick, name every nba player who played under barnes at tennessee!) you see that he spent the entire regular season making chicken salad out of chicken shit, only to fail in the tourney where his lack of top flight talent and shooting kills him. 

IMG_5920.thumb.jpeg.450620fae6b460c025c66a04740bcfd7.jpeg

IMG_5921.thumb.jpeg.c7d4df379f81c4e3caa545992ef188f1.jpeg

wow, tennessee gets a steal and has a wide open break away layup to tie the game and one of the refs blows the play dead on a late/incorrect 10 second call against MSU. never seen that before. 

refs are killing tennessee down the stretch. MSU getting all of their points from the line on terrible calls. msu takes a three point lead on a terrible foul call +1,

tennessee bricks their three attempt, msu takes it down for the game sealing slam. court storming incoming. 77-72 final. third top 5 team to lose this week.

chris jans is a pretty damn good coach, especially on the defensive end. MSU could be a tough opponent for us in the near future.

• Hook 'Em 1

this Tennessee team is so much greater than the sum of its parts. Barnes has had a ton of teams which have fit that bill over the years, but if this team wins their league or makes a deep run then this will be as good of a job as he’s ever done.

also dalton knecht is putting on a show today, and is one of my favorite players to watch in all of college hoops. it’s wild how Barnes is able to find these gems (royal ivey, isaiah taylor, admiral schofield, grant williams, etc) with such regularity. there’s no denying his eye for talent or his ability to develop it. against my better judgment, i’m starting to believe in this team. i really hope they can stay healthy. 

vols fans are so overrated. dalton knecht just went 9-10 (3-3) and dropped 22 points, all in the last ~12 minutes of the half. he’s scored tennessee’s last 20 points, including a three with 39 seconds left in the half. tennessee gets a stop, tries to run to get off one last shot, they turn the ball over for a UF layup yo end the half, and vols fans just go dead silent. i’ve been as hard on Texas basketball fans as anybody, but our fans would have been on their feet and going crazy as the team went into the locker room. the vols have a huge arena and they get up for the big games, but they get a way better rep than they deserve.

• 3 weeks later...

tennessee wins in rupp, 103-92. beat kentucky at their own game. barnes is now 11-9 vs kentucky since taking over at tennessee. also, tennessee as a program had four wins at rupp between 1958 and 2015 when they hired barnes. tonight was his fourth win at rupp as HC at tennessee. he really is one of the best coaches of his generation. i really hope that he can make another trip to the FF this year. this team is impressive.

• Like 1

FTR, RA isn’t that old. 

Saw a stat on Twitter that the Vols are 7-1 when UK is in Top-10 under Barnes. 

Barnes was my 3rd choice after Donovan & Stevens when Tubby left. 

Defense matters, they scored 59 at Home vs SCarolina, 100+ on road last night.  At times it looked like Men vs kids. 

tennessee up 40-22 on LSU with 4:40 left in the 1H. vols have 13 ast on 15 made baskets. never would have thought so coming into the season, but as of now this is rick’s best team that he’s had at tennessee. very deep and balanced. still not sure what march will have in store when depth matters where less and matchups are everything, but damn this is one impressive, well rounded team.

barnes setting the tone from tip off:

grant williams on rick barnes’s grueling practices designed to weed out weaker guys:

“coach barnes told (s&c coach garrett madenwald), “do whatever you need to do this summer; get guys to leave (this program).”