Rick Barnes thread

Goo Punch

2 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I can't even begin to explain how stupid that foul was. Down 1 with 47 seconds left and only 4 team fouls on your team. Just play defense. Instead, you let 6-7 seconds run off and *then* foul, still needing to foul two more times before its FTs. That was a bone headed play. Oh not to mention that Ole Miss is 11th in the country in FT% and is 14-14 tonight. That was as stupid a play as i've seen Tennessee make all year, and it came at a terrible time. 

Yeah, didn't like the foul plan unless Ole Miss  is bad at foul shooting......

Tennessee squeezes by 73-71

yep, grant williams just said it. you saw both the good and the bad down the stretch from Tennessee. Both Schofield and Williams gave up plays they shouldn't have, but to their credit Tennessee played great defense and got every rebound when it mattered, and they drew up a final play where they got the ball in Grant Williams' hands going towards the basket, which he converted masterfully. Plus Schofield taking the game sealing charge. Tennessee is in that make-or-break stretch right now, and Saturday's game against Kentucky will go a long way towards determining not only their tourney seed hit their momentum going forward. 

Edited by Goo Punch

The Vols fouling only down 1 with 30+ left was a bit head scatching, and not sure what Davis was livid about, it was either a charge or a no call and your player missed the front end of a 1 n 1, risky play from a vet like Williams.  Fully expecting an ass whoopin’ come Saturday.  Will be tough for UK to match their physicality of the first game without Travis in the game. 

10 hours ago, Underdog said:

The Vols fouling only down 1 with 30+ left was a bit head scatching, and not sure what Davis was livid about, it was either a charge or a no call and your player missed the front end of a 1 n 1, risky play from a vet like Williams.  Fully expecting an ass whoopin’ come Saturday.  Will be tough for UK to match their physicality of the first game without Travis in the game. 

We just aren’t playing that good right now. You guys will win. 

3 hours ago, Clintonaldo said:

We just aren’t playing that good right now. You guys will win. 

i disagree with both of you. first i think there's zero chance that either team blows the other team out. second, i see Tennessee winning a very very close game where this time the foul calls actually help the Vols. I see Grant Williams sealing the game late at the FT line. 

Its true, Tennessee hasn't been playing their best ball; but they were never the best team in the country to begin with, and just because the human polls had them there doesn't mean that Tennessee playing more like the 7th or 8th best team in the country is some travesty. There are plenty of teams with way more NBA talent than Tennessee, and that list might even include Texas. Both UK and Tennessee are legit top 10 teams who can make the Final Four with the right bracket. The game on Saturday will be an all timer, and I see the Vols holding on to win 82-81. 

Edited by Goo Punch

On 2/28/2019 at 7:41 AM, Underdog said:

Crazy what a home game in college can do. It was the exact opposite. I am still not reading too much into the win with Travis out. 

On 2/28/2019 at 9:35 PM, Goo Punch said:

i disagree with both of you. first i think there's zero chance that either team blows the other team out. second, i see Tennessee winning a very very close game where this time the foul calls actually help the Vols. I see Grant Williams sealing the game late at the FT line. 

Its true, Tennessee hasn't been playing their best ball; but they were never the best team in the country to begin with, and just because the human polls had them there doesn't mean that Tennessee playing more like the 7th or 8th best team in the country is some travesty. There are plenty of teams with way more NBA talent than Tennessee, and that list might even include Texas. Both UK and Tennessee are legit top 10 teams who can make the Final Four with the right bracket. The game on Saturday will be an all timer, and I see the Vols holding on to win 82-81. 

Nailed it and a tip of the cap to you. Outside of today we were still playing with something missing and I don’t know how to describe it. Happy to win and if they somehow make the FInal 4 I will be there. 

This is what cracks me up about Derka....

On Jan 19, TN was 12 games into a 19 game winning streak.  On page 3 of this thread, Derka stated, 

Tennessee has arguably looked like the best team in the country, and certainly the most complete team. Schofield and Williams have been so money that when the guards are hittting their shots y'all ahold be favored against anyone.  i'm really pulling for this squad, and i think that the consistency of the two big studs and the leadership of Schofield will help take Tennessee to the Final 4. 

Since then, TN has gone 10-2 with two road losses to Top15 teams in KY and LSU.  In both cases, Derka blamed officiating.

TN is now 26-3 with two road losses blamed on officiating.  Derka's latest Rick Barnes lovefest post has the following:

Its true, Tennessee hasn't been playing their best ball; but they were never the best team in the country to begin with, and just because the human polls had them there doesn't mean that Tennessee playing more like the 7th or 8th best team in the country is some travesty. There are plenty of teams with way more NBA talent than Tennessee, and that list might even include Texas. 

Derka, Bro, I have mad respect for you and actually hope that TN ends up in the Final 4 so you can throw it in the faces of all of us doubters.  That being said, you seem to be hedging quite a bit as the tourney gets nearer.

I really don't see it. First off, what did I say that was untrue? When Tennessee was on a 12 game win streak and the guard play had stepped up tremendously i praised them and said that they, "have arguably looked like the best team in the country." Read those words again: Tennessee has arguably looked like the best team in the country. I never said they were the best team in the country, because nobody thinks anybody is better than Duke, and frankly i had UVA, and one or both of the big Michigan schools all still ahead of Tennessee that whole time the Vols were "looking like" the best team around. Even when people like Bilas and Jay Williams were calling them 1a and 1b with Duke, I never said that or co-signed on it, I just referenced them saying it because I didn't believe it was true. 

Then, Tennessee did have a dip in form. At one point during the streak y'all were #1 in the country in scoring diffirential, #1 in assists, and #1 in AdjO; the guards started the season slowly, then they heated up, and Tennessee was a runaway freight train albeit against a mostly poor schedule. But then the guards started to fall off again, Alexander would go missing, the defense would have 6-8 minute lapses, and Tennessee didn't look like the same team they had been in previous weeks. It'll happen when you aren't tested and forced to stay sharp. They still as I said looked like a top 10 team, but they no longer "looked like arguably the best team in the country." I'd seen this before from plenty of Barnes' better teams when they weren't being tested for big stretches.

I think I've been as fair and consistent and honest about this team as anyone can be, particularly considering that their weak schedule made it difficult to take a hard line stance as to where exactly the Vols stand nationally, which is why I avoided ever doing so, waiting to see how the stretch from UK to UK played out. And so far it's gone exactly the way we should have expected it to go based on what i've said all season- this team reminds me of Rick's best teams, and those teams didn't crumble down the stretch. Today was a huge statement towards that, and to be quite frank I think I've been mostly spot on with my assessments this year. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

Dude.  I wasn't trying to trash you.  Like I said, I have respect for your consistency.  Post #278 just seems to be a tad different than what you've posted on pgs 1-5.  Three pages ago, you were calling Final Four.  What is your tourney call at this specific moment? Based on your posts, anything less than a Final Four is a complete failure, yes?

29 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Dude.  I wasn't trying to trash you.  Like I said, I have respect for your consistency.  Post #278 just seems to be a tad different than what you've posted on pgs 1-5.  Three pages ago, you were calling Final Four.  What is your tourney call at this specific moment? Based on your posts, anything less than a Final Four is a complete failure, yes?

i would never be one to say, "anything less than x is a failure" when it comes to the NCAA tournament. It's just too unpredictable. And I don't believe I've ever "called final four", and in fact in the quote you posted above I said that both Tennessee and UK are "top 10, final four caliber teams", which they are. All season I've said that Rick's teams tend ron play to their tourney seed, and seeing as Tennessee seems sure to get a 2 seed if not a 1 seed, then the Elite 8 should be the expectation and a loss in Sweet 16 would certainly be disappointing. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Barnes is now 4-0 at home vs Kentucky. Same thing he did at Texas. Showed up and said, "ok Kansas, meet your new rival." And he was a thorn in the side of Dean Smith before that. If you actually look at his body of work he's one of the more steady, reliable coaches of his era, but few seem to realize this.

The worst part of rooting for a Rick Barnes team has nothing to do with Barnes himself- its his undeserved reputation and the fear that stems from it. His rep has been so blown out of proportion for so long that a lot of his team's fans just won't allow themselves to enjoy the ride, perpetually waiting for the rug to be pulled from under them, being under appreciative of the good times, only waiting for the team to falter to say, "See, I knew it." This is a special Tennessee team, and I mean all time. I feel sorry for any Vols fans or alumni who aren't enjoying every moment of it.

Edited by Goo Punch

11 hours ago, Clintonaldo said:

Crazy what a home game in college can do. It was the exact opposite. I am still not reading too much into the win with Travis out. 

Vols too talented and experienced not to seek some vengeance from the first game, I was more disappointed in UK's effort than the ass whoppin'.  I had no beef with officiating, expected them to reign in any physical stuff compared to game-1.  Maybe Rd-3 in a couple of weeks will yield a better game? 

1 minute ago, Underdog said:

Vols too talented and experienced not to seek some vengeance from the first game, I was more disappointed in UK's effort than the ass whoppin'.  I had no beef with officiating, expected them to reign in any physical stuff compared to game-1.  Maybe Rd-3 in a couple of weeks will yield a better game? 

The SEC title game last year was pretty badass up until UK pulled away at the end. SGA was awesome. I anticipate a rematch (although LSU is really good and Auburn is a threat), and it should be a helluva tiebreaker.

Five-star junior forward Corey Walker verbally committed to Tennessee on Sunday, his coach Vince Martin told 247Sports.

"Corey is going to Tennessee," Martin said. "Three things stuck out to him. Number one, the academics at Tennessee, being able to get a degree from a prestigious school. Number two is Rick Barnes and he's huge. He feels really comfortable with coach Rick Barnes. That was the biggest thing. Then the culture at Tennessee, those guys are all bought in."

Walker’s pledge comes just a day after attending Tennessee’s blowout win over Kentucky. Walker also entertained interest Baylor, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Georgetown, Louisville, Michigan, USC and Xavier.

This was Walker’s second recent trip to Knoxville. Walker took his official visit to Tennessee the weekend of Feb. 9. According to Martin and his father Corey Walker Sr, Walker's first trip to UT opened his eyes, and the second trip confirmed that he wanted to play at Tennessee.

"Education was first and Rick Barnes," Walker Sr told 247Sports. "He’s a legend and a man of wisdom. I’m speaking as a father, where better is there to send your son. He’s been there, he’s fathered and put people in places that a lot haven't gone. The coaching staff was really good too. Corey is really comfortable."

"He likes that those guy are close and coach Barnes, he was big on coach Barnes," Martin added. "He sold him on the vision that he has for the program."

Walker is ranked No. 31 overall in the 247Sports Composite Rankings and No. 23 overall and as the No. 6 small forward in the Top247.

"They are getting a guy that can play the one through the four,” Martin said. “He can score from all three levels. He can turn out to be really special. I think they know that as well.”

“Throughout the process they've been watching him more and they fell in love with him are and more," he added. "I think they are getting a kid that has his best days ahead of him.”

Walker is Tennessee’s first pledge of the 2020 class. This marks the second year in a row that Tennessee has added a five-star rated prospect via the Top247.

His hardass approach was unsustainable at Texas in the long run as he got more and more angry/disenchanted, but I still love ten guy. And again his chilling out is a good thing imo- 

It was bleeding over into his personal life and he recognized he needed to make a change. There was a huge difference between rb 2009 and rb 2012.
  • Like 1

That unfortunately went how I thought it would. Still a great regular season for the Vols. 27-4, good wins over Gonzaga, Louisville, Kentucky, a sweep of Florida, a dominant win over MSU, and no bad losses. One of the best regular seasons in program history. Hopefully they get a rematch with UK in the conference tourney final (assuming that's possible). Top of the SEC is tough again this year. 

2 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

Great job Rick. Get suckered into a 3 contest on the road. Brilliant. 

y'all were always going to lose today. the officiating was terrible, and y'all were ahead for 70% of the game until the officiating + senior day + hot shooting from auburn (which is what they do) did y'all in. there was nothing wrong with Tennessee in today's game.

Just now, Goo Punch said:

y'all were always going to lose today. the officiating was terrible, and y'all were ahead for 70% of the game until the officiating + senior day + hot shooting from auburn (which is what they do) did y'all in. there was nothing wrong with Tennessee in today's game.

I just don't agree at all. We were the better team and fell into playing Bruce’s game. I love Bruce and he loves Tennessee and he out coached Rick today. 

5 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

I just don't agree at all. We were the better team and fell into playing Bruce’s game. I love Bruce and he loves Tennessee and he out coached Rick today. 

the game went exactly as i thought it would go to a T. and Schofield getting in bogus foul trouble eeely on didn't help at all. I bet on the Auburn money line and announced as much before the game. this is how these games go. i've been watching this same game play out my entire life: very highly ranked team onthe road, in conference, vs another very good but not-quite-as-highly-ranked team on their senior day in March. That's a close home win like 90% of the time. I saw this coming a mile away. 

Just now, Goo Punch said:

the game went exactly as i thought it would go to a T. and Schofield getting in bogus foul trouble eeely on didn't help at all. I bet on the Auburn money line and announced as much before the game. this is how these games go. i've been watching this same game play out my entire life: very highly ranked team onthe road, in conference, vs another very good but not-quite-as-highly-ranked team on their senior day in March. That's a close home win like 90% of the time. I saw this coming a mile away. 

So where do we finish in March? Elite 8?

4 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

So where do we finish in March? Elite 8?

it just depends on the matchups and your shooting. period. if you avoid teams that can really slow it down and have dominant big men then i feel like yeah. you can pencil Tennessee in for the Elite 8 barring a total meltdown shooting wise. 

You have experience, you have leadership, you have one of the best, most reliable offenses in America, you take high percentage shots, you shoot FTs at an elite level, you have two if not three All Americans in the starting lineup; you guys are built for a deep run. if you shoot well you can beat anyone- Duke, UVA, anyone- if not, then you're likely in a very close game in the sweet 16 or elite 8 where it comes down to a play or two at the end. and even in that scenario i really like having Schofield, Williams, and Bone. Three real go-to guys, play makers, and leaders. 

Edited by Goo Punch

it just depends on the matchups and your shooting. period. if you avoid teams that can really slow it down and have dominant big men then i feel like yeah. you can pencil Tennessee in for the Elite 8 barring a total meltdown shooting wise. 
You have experience, you have leadership, you have one of the best, most reliable offenses in America, you take high percentage shots, you shoot FTs at an elite level, you have two if not three All Americans in the starting lineup; you guys are built for a deep run. if you shoot well you can beat anyone- Duke, UVA, anyone- if not, then you're likely in a very close game in the sweet 16 or elite 8 where it comes down to a play or two at the end. and even in that scenario i really like having Schofield, Williams, and Bone. Three real go-to guys, play makers, and leaders. 

My concern is that they always pull out a win by a good score at the end but they have too much confidence and they know they will win which makes games closer than they should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Clintonaldo said:

My concern is that they always pull out a win by a good score at the end but they have too much confidence and they know they will win which makes games closer than they should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i think y'all are on a mission. everyone returns from last years team which was upset early in the tourney. i've watched this team closely all year. they are mentally tough and full of leadership, and i believe they are on a mission and totally equipped for it. imo only UVA has anything comparable to Schofield/Williams/Bone in Guy/Hunter/Jerome- the combo of talent, experience, versatility, and a bad taste in their mouth from last year's tourney. both of those teams have had great regular seasons, but i have to imagine that for them it's all about the tourney. i really believe in both those teams for the reasons listed above. 

less than 90 seconds left in the game, Auburn is up three with the shot clock under 5, Grant Williams gets a huge block at the rim that goes all the way out beyond the 3-point line and directly to an AU player who hits a three to essentially seal it. that's not being outcoached- that's losing a predictably close, tough road game in-conference on somebody's senior day. 

Edited by Goo Punch