Baylor Rape Talk Not Going Away

Doc Reeves

Thought I'd get the ball rolling again on one of the most disgusting organizations in the NCAA, right up there with Michigan State.

Fuck Baylor.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2767598-baylor-paid-art-briles-151m-ken-starr-45m-after-sexual-assault-scandal

Baylor University paid former Bears head football coach Art Briles $15.1 million as part of his 2016 departure following the school's sexual assault scandal.

Chuck Carlton of the Dallas Morning News first reported the payout Friday after reviewing forms Baylor filed to the IRS. Former school president Ken Starr received $4.52 million and former athletic director Ian McCaw was given $761,059 after his resignation.

Briles had eight years left on his contract when he was dismissed by the university. The IRS forms showed he earned around $6.19 million per season, per Mark Schlabach of ESPN.com.

The trio's exit was part of widespread leadership changes at Baylor following the scandal. Board of Regents chair Richard Willis said in the May 2016 announcement the school was "horrified" by findings from an independent review handled by the Law Firm of Pepper Hamilton:

"This investigation revealed the university's mishandling of reports in what should have been a supportive, responsive and caring environment for students. The depth to which these acts occurred shocked and outraged us. Our students and their families deserve more, and we have committed our full attention to improving our processes, establishing accountability and ensuring appropriate actions are taken to support former, current and future students."

Briles, who's remained out of coaching since his dismissal from Baylor, released a statement last March denying an attempt to hide the problem.

"I did not cover up any sexual violence. I had no contact with anyone that claimed to be a victim of sexual or domestic assault. Anyone well-versed in my work as a coach knows that I strove to promote excellence, but never at the sacrifice of safety for anyone," he said. "I did not obstruct justice on campus or off."

He was set to join the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the Canadian Football League in August, but the team changed its mind following public backlash.

Starr, who also served as Baylor's chancellor and a professor at its law school, ended all ties with the university in August 2016.

McCaw was hired as the Liberty University athletic director in November 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Baylor now knows what it feels like to be bent over and anally violated by Art and his lawyers, jeez, more than $20M paid out to three douchebags fuckfaces who were in the wrong.

Why was Baylor hanging around with Briles and Starr?  Those are some bad dudes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Baylor = rape talk will never go away. The university needs to be forcefully closed down by the state or feds, then with a completely new administration and staff become a state or federal?!eh  university, since its assets would seized as part of a RICO or some state level anti corruption legislation as proceeds from a completely corrupt and nonredeemable organization. 

1 hour ago, SmokeyBear1861 said:

Fuck Baylor. The fact we share a conference with these turds is a disgrace. What was thier punishment from the big12 again? NCAA punishment?

I would much rather the XII allow Baylor to have it's media GoR's "released", and the school can go join the MWC or AAC...

In their place, the XII can add either the Tulane Green Wave/ Rice Owls/ New Mexico Lobos, as a replacement until the media contracts are renewed...There are a lot of good students at the Baylor campus who have been adversely impacted by the culture that Art Briles brought into the athletics program...

Edited by kopp0e

37 minutes ago, kopp0e said:
I would much rather the XII allow Baylor to have it's media GoR's "released", and the school can go join the MWC or AAC...
In their place, the XII can add either the Tulane Green Wave/ Rice Owls/ New Mexico Lobos, as a replacement until the media contracts are renewed...There are a lot of good students at the Baylor campus who have been adversely impacted by the culture that Art Briles brought into the athletics program...

Yeah... Briles...

How bout that little basketball murder cover up?

But, pooooor sweet baptist BU students.

I feel as bad for them as for the dumbasses who went to a for profit school that closed. Serves. You. Right.

Edited by Doc Reeves

12 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Yeah... Briles...

I feel as bad for them as for the dumbasses who went to a for profit school that closed. Serves. You. Right.

I actually was shocked to meet a student athlete last year from Austrailia, that attending at Southwestern Christian University in Bethany, Oklahoma & the head coach he claimed was none other than Dave Bliss... I guess the school didn't do a thorough background check..? 

Anyhow, in the case of Baylor, despite the great things the medical school in Houston brings, i would rather that Rice was in their place within the ranks of the XII membership...

13 hours ago, kopp0e said:

So....basically anybody.  Are you saying they are worthless?    :D  Fuck Baylor.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TexasFootball18 said:

Baylor = rape talk will never go away. The university needs to be forcefully closed down by the state or feds, then with a completely new administration and staff become a state or federal?!eh  university, since its assets would seized as part of a RICO or some state level anti corruption legislation as proceeds from a completely corrupt and nonredeemable organization. 

Periods.   Use them. 

On 3/31/2018 at 5:01 PM, Neonmoon said:

They paid 20 million in hush money. The entire university was complicit. They covered shit up for years.

"The depth to which these acts occurred shocked and outraged us."

tenor.png

My beloved grasps neither the infamy nor my absolute hatred for the evil of Baylor.

On 3/31/2018 at 7:20 PM, Doc Reeves said:

Yeah... Briles...

Our hearts break for the victims of sexual misconduct just off the grounds of our beloved campus. Those poor football players and other rapists of varying backgrounds will forever unfairly bear the mark of criminality for merely being seduced by jezebels who are not like our own daughters and wantonly went to parties serving alcohol. These Magdalens (without the nice parts) pollute the pure Christian spring that is our beloved Baylor University.

Kenneth Starr should be turned over to the Comanches. Hell, every Baylor male (there are evidently no men there) who has stood by and allowed this policy towards women should be turned over to the Comanches. Any excess could go to the Inquisition.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Like 1

On 4/1/2018 at 8:13 AM, tonedeaf said:

So....basically anybody.  Are you saying they are worthless?    :D  Fuck Baylor.

6 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Did I really see a poor Baylor students post?

The same students that still defend Briles and the administration?

The same students that still slut shame rape victims?

The same students that would jump at a chance to reinstall Art Briles  back in their program?

The same students that go Alex Jones on burnt orange conspiracy against Rapist success and the removal of Art?

I saw a post noting pity for THOSE students?

Yah,  gonna hard pass on that tear session.

Should Baylor be allowed to continue it's membership in the XII beyond 2025..? If I had a vote, it would be a "nay"...

I'm sure there are "non-murderous" & "non-rapist" students that attended Baylor during the reign of Bliss & Briles... 

giphy.gif

But i'm not here to defend the school, as originally stated, I would prefer any of:

Rice

Houston

New Mexico

Wyoming

even adding schools in the cities of New Orleans (Tulane) or Las Vegas (UNLV) would be fine...

Liberty University appears to have paid settlements for hiring several key athletic-department officials who had been accused of creating “a hunting ground for sexual predators” when they worked at Baylor, then allegedly overcorrecting by expelling three football players on unfounded sexual-assault charges.

In March, Liberty quietly settled lawsuits filed last year by three former football players who alleged defamation and Title IX violations. The cases had survived Liberty’s dismissal attempts and were set for jury trials later this year. The settlements came very shortly after the plaintiffs’ lawyer, Joshua Farmer, told Deadspin that he had discovered new information that “is going to blow up this Liberty case.”

The athletes who filed suit—Cameron Jackson, Kyle Carrington and Avery James—had been kicked off the football team and expelled from Liberty following an accusation from a female student that they had sexually assaulted her at an off-campus party thrown on Aug. 22, 2015. The punishments weren’t handed down until September 2016. Administrators at Liberty, a school in Lynchburg, Va., founded and operated by the televangelistic Falwell family, said they didn’t hear about the assault accusations until nearly a year after the party where the incidents allegedly occurred. According to the suit, the accuser first told administrators that she’d been assaulted after the school started investigating her own alleged misconduct at the same party, an inquiry that began because of social media posts about sexual activity at the event. According to court filings from the accuser, she left Liberty voluntarily before the players were punished. Each plaintiff asked for damages of $50 million from the school and $50 million from the accuser.

Liberty had trumpeted the punishments in a September 12, 2016 press release, which named the accused players and said they had violated the university’s “Policy on Sexual Harassment, Discrimination, and Assault.” Liberty’s release mentioned that the school had referred the assault allegations to the Lynchburg Police Department, but no criminal charges were ever filed against the players. Lt. David Gearhart, LPD’s public information officer, declined Deadspin’s request for police reports related to his department’s investigation. But Gearhart said that all findings were turned over to the Lynchburg Office of the Commonwealth Attorney, and that the prosecutors “determined there was insufficient evidence to file charges and prosecute the case.”

Shortly after the punishments were announced, Farmer pronounced Jackson’s innocence and began blasting the school’s handling of the accusations in interviews and posts on his law firm’s website. Farmer said the application of Title IX, the federal regulation that, among other things, calls for equal treatment regardless of gender for students at any institution that receives public funding, was flawed throughout Liberty’s handling of the investigation. (Though a private school, Liberty gets public grants and must abide by Title IX rules.) Farmer argued that Liberty violated Title IX by giving more weight to the accuser’s words strictly because of gender, alleging that the school’s Conduct Review Committee didn’t allow the accused players to review the evidence before doling out punishments. He also criticized the school for announcing the penalties while the players were preparing their appeals of the Liberty punishments (those appeals were rejected) and before the criminal investigation was completed.

After prosecutors told involved parties that no charges would be filed, Farmer said, Liberty offered the students the chance to reapply for admission for the next school year, which would require them to petition for their official status with the university to be reclassified from expelled to “in good standing.” Normally, students must wait a full year to reapply. Farmer took that offer as a sign that the school was aware the initial punishments were unjust. Of the expelled students, only Jackson applied for reclassification; Farmer said that within four days of receiving Jackson’s application, Liberty administrators ruled he was once again a student in good standing. Asked by Deadspin about Farmer’s account of Jackson’s reclassification, Liberty officials said the school “cannot confirm the accuracy of what you say you were told” due to federal privacy laws.

Though Jackson was again in good standing at Liberty, he and his fellow plaintiffs moved forward with their lawsuits against the school. Liberty lawyers successfully petitioned to have the cases moved from Lynchburg Circuit Court, where Jackson’s suit were originally filed, to the federal U.S.. District Court for the Western District of Virginia. But Liberty’s motion to have the suits dismissed was largely denied in August by U.S. District Court Judge Norman Moon, who ruled that the defamation and Title IX cases would move forward. Jackson’s case was scheduled to be heard by a jury in July 2018.

In an interview before the settlement, Farmer alleged that Liberty “railroaded” his client, and said the school touted his expulsion so loudly as part of a bungled effort to mitigate the fallout from its hiring castoffs from Baylor’s athletic department. The Waco school was the site of one of the most notorious sexual-abuse scandals in college athletics history, and Liberty had hired in a trio of men who had overseen the debacle.

Ian McRary, Baylor’s former Title IX officer, was hired by Liberty in February 2016 as associate general counsel. Ian McCaw, Baylor’s former athletic director, was appointed AD at Liberty in November 2016. McCaw quickly hired Todd Patulski, his assistant athletic director at Baylor, as the Liberty athletic department’s associate athletic director and chief financial officer. McCaw, Patulski and McRary had all left their jobs at Baylor as a result of the investigation into that school’s handling of sexual abuse and assault allegations; administrators were accused in one of many resulting lawsuits with having “created a hunting ground for sexual predators to freely prey upon innocent, unsuspecting female students, with no concern of reprisal or consequences.” Not all the alleged rapists at Baylor were athletes, but the athletic department under McCaw, Patulski and McRary was viewed as the epicenter of the assault epidemic. McCaw, Patulski and McRary were all recently subpoenaed to testify in one of the lawsuits against Baylor related to the Waco sexual assault scandal.

The hiring of McCaw and his colleagues came at a time when Jerry Falwell Jr.—who has been running Liberty since the 2007 death of founder Jerry Falwell Sr.—was trying to use sports to grab more of the national spotlight that his late father had craved. A 2014 article in USA Today reported that Liberty officials had “blueprints at the ready” on a renovation of its football stadium that would “add 6,000 seats in the near term and more than 40,000 over time.” Hiring administrators from Baylor, which had experienced unprecedented football success in recent years, was a key part of the plan. (McCaw, for example, got much of the credit for getting the $266 million McLane Stadium built on the Waco campus.)

Liberty, a school whose motto is “Champions for Christ,” announced in February 2017 that its football program was moving from the second-tiered FCS up to FBS, the NCAA’s top football classification. When President Donald Trump gave the commencement address at Liberty’s graduation ceremony in May 2017, he spent much of the speech highlighting Falwell’s football dreams.

None of the ex-Baylor officials now atop Liberty’s athletics department were named as defendants in the expelled players’ suits; McCaw’s name, for example, appears only a few times in the complaint filed by Jackson, which goes on for more than 100 pages. And of the three former Baylor officials, only McRary had officially been hired by Liberty when the school put out the press release announcing the players’ punishments.

But the Baylor transplants were key figures in the case that Farmer put together against Liberty. The attorney alleged that Liberty was already planning to bring in McCaw and Patulski to join McRary by the time the school made an example of Jackson, and administrators felt they needed to make a very public anti-sexual abuse statement, he said. Jackson’s original complaint states that Liberty’s interest in McCaw “pre-dated McCaw’s resignation [from Baylor] by several months and included internal discussions between Liberty University chancellor Jerry Falwell Jr. and other senior staff about the need to ‘act quickly’ if McCaw became available.” Furthermore, the suit alleges that Liberty “believed or had reason to believe that any public criticism of their decision to hire McCaw would be worse if the University developed a public image that was weak on Title IX.”

Falwell declined Deadspin’s request last year to answer questions about McCaw’s hiring, but he has publicly supported the embattled former Baylor AD. After court filings in a Texas lawsuit against Baylor accused McCaw with abetting a cover up of sexual assault allegations there, Falwell’s office released a package of pro-McCaw comments from members of Baylor’s board of regents. One of the regents, according to a round-up of the comments sent by Liberty to the Waco Tribune, told Falwell, “My personal view is that the Lord has moved Ian [McCaw] from Baylor to Liberty through this sad chapter in Baylor’s history.”

As for the discovery that Farmer’s Feb. 17 email to Deadspin predicted would “blow up” Liberty’s defense? The fact that McRary, for all the notorious Title IX fiascos he oversaw in Waco, assumed oversight of Title IX matters at Liberty as soon as he arrived in Lynchburg.

“Based on what happened at Baylor, McRary shouldn’t have been within a country mile of any school’s Title IX policy, but when he got to LU’s Legal affairs department...they put him in charge of the whole damn thing,” Farmer said. “When [McRary] got to [Liberty], they were so sensitive to the problems at Baylor that they overcorrected. Baylor had been accused of ignoring accusations, so at [Liberty] they went 180 degrees in the opposite direction. Overcorrected and railroaded these guys.”

In response to a request from Deadspin, Liberty confirmed that when McRary began work for the school in February 2016 his duties “included advising the University and its employees on all aspects of compliance with the Title IX federal sex discrimination law.”

On Feb. 26, nine days after Farmer’s email about a bombshell discovery, the parties began filing motions in U.S. District Court to dismiss the case. Court records show that Judge Moon accepted the motion two days later. On March 20, the court clerk entered that Jackson’s case was dismissed “with prejudice,” meaning the suit cannot be refiled. The resolution of Jackson’s suit was first reported by the Lynchburg News & Advance. Three days later, court records show, the Carrington and James suits were similarly dispatched. No settlement terms were registered with the court in any of the cases.

Neither Farmer nor Stephanie Karn, attorney for the accuser, responded to a request for comment following the resolution. Liberty officials declined to comment, other than to issue a brief statement: “The parties have resolved this matter to their mutual satisfaction.”

Despite being deemed fit for re-admittance to Liberty, Jackson chose to transfer out. A source close to Jackson said he intends to resume his football career at Coastal Carolina, Liberty’s main rival in the Big South Conference before the Flames jumped to the FBS.

https://deadspin.com/liberty-university-settles-claim-that-it-expelled-footb-1825023756

It can never be said enough: Briles, McCaw, Starr, and their cronies are disgusting pieces of inhuman filth, and should never again be entrusted with any participation in higher education.  For providing the culture in which they thrived, Baylor should be shut down or, at the very least, lose any accreditation that they have and removed from the NCAA and Big Twelve.  

TL;DR Fuck Briles, McCaw, Starr, and Baylor in their goat asses.

• 2 months later...

FUCK YOU, NCAA:

So much time has passed you may have forgotten that Baylor University is being investigated by the NCAA.

The NCAA began its investigation of Baylor in May 2017 to look into the specifics of a rape scandal that shadowed the university for well over a year and ultimately led to the dismissal of football coach Art Briles in May 2016.

According to multiple Baylor officials, the school is expecting that the investigation and interviews will be completed shortly before the start of the 2018 academic year. This process, according to Baylor officials, has gone faster than expected. Department officials are hoping for a resolution by the spring of 2019.

As far as a serious penalty levied by the NCAA, do not expect much.

"If people are expecting some sort of 'Death Penalty,' I think they are going to be disappointed," a Baylor athletic official told me.

SMU's football program received the famous "Death Penalty" ruling by the NCAA in 1987 for rampant cheating. SMU was not allowed to have a football team for one year, and the school added a self-imposed season as part of the penalty.

Do not expect such a penalty at Baylor.

There is a chance the findings of the NCAA's investigation could also potentially exonerate Briles, who has not worked since he was fired by Baylor.

Baylor athletic department officials are hoping/expecting the precedent set by the NCAA in the University of North Carolina's academic fraud case will yield similar results in Waco.

The issue for the NCAA is to determine whether the Baylor athletic department afforded opportunities and treatment to the student-athletes that were not available to all students. Or whether it violated other NCAA rules.

Finding an NCAA violation or two is usually not hard; it's akin to a policeman who has pulled over a motorist. The cop can usually find some violation. The question is the severity.

In the case of the University of North Carolina, which was concluded in October 2017, school officials openly admitted to rampant academic fraud. UNC slipped away without an NCAA penalty because the fake classes and essentially a bogus major were available to every student at North Carolina.

The "academic programs" allowed countless student-athletes, especially members of the wildly successful men's basketball team, to retain their athletic eligibility.

The NCAA's report said it did not have the power to punish the UNC athletic department under its rule book.

The fallout was a few harsh words from the media, with one of the most celebrated state universities in the nation going on its merry way, secure in the knowledge that it brazenly violated its mission statement as a place of higher learning with zero penalty.

Baylor athletic department officials are, however, also aware that the NCAA historically has wielded a sharper sword at programs that do not generate the wattage or revenue the University of North Carolina does. Baylor is a Power 5 school, but it's not North Carolina.

The issues, however, between the two schools have no just comparison: widespread academic fraud and sexual assault and rape claims that went ignored.

As in the North Carolina case, the problems at Baylor were not specific to the athletic department. As written in the famous Pepper Hamilton report by the Philadelphia law firm, Baylor's Title IX issues regarding sexual assault claims were campuswide.

If the NCAA agrees with Pepper Hamilton that Baylor's issues were a university issue, there is a good chance Baylor's athletic department, and specifically its football program, will not be punished.

If the NCAA wants to punish Baylor, the most likely scenario would include a reduction in football scholarships, a bowl ban or reduced recruiting time for coaches.

Consistent rulings are not exactly common with the NCAA infractions committee.

By next spring, you may have again forgotten that the school was under investigation.