Seattle

workswithseed

5 hours ago, miguelito said:

Snoqualmie falls

Mount Rainier,  paradise

Air and space museum

What he said.     At Rainier, Comet Falls (Paradise side) and Mt. Fremont (Sunrise side) are doable for almost anybody although Mt. Fremont was hard to do last summer than I remembered.   But if the whether is clear, the view can not be beat.

Snoqualmie is pretty cool and there's a great brewery there in town named the same thing.

The Museum of Fight is 100% top notch.

• 1 month later...

Cross posting.  I'll be visiting with my wife and 3 month old son in June.  Most likely staying Sunday - Monday.

Some good stuff in this thread already, but where would y'all stay?  Neighborhood? We're open to hotel or airbnb.  Would be nice to have walkable options for food/drink.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2018 at 3:16 PM, Spoosner said:

Cross posting.  I'll be visiting with my wife and 3 month old son in June.  Most likely staying Sunday - Monday.

Some good stuff in this thread already, but where would y'all stay?  Neighborhood? We're open to hotel or airbnb.  Would be nice to have walkable options for food/drink.

Look for a condo in Belltown.  We've stayed in the building that also has the Macrina Bakery and Belltown Pizza twice now and love the location (bounded by Wall, Battery, 1st and 2nd streets.   It's within walking distance of the Space Needle, Pike Place and all points downtown.   

https://www.vrbo.com/3643545ha

That's showing $400+ per night but I have never paid more than $250 per night for that building.   

Thanks for the input.  Planning to cash in some sapphire points, and the Four Seasons is "on sale" on the site.  Is that a good location, or too close to Pike Place?  I'm wary of it being like staying near Fisherman's Wharf in San Fran...over priced/sub par touristy establishments.  It looks like the Westin and Mayflower Park are closer to Belltown.  Also a place called Staypineapple Hotel 5 that would be quite a bit cheaper.

if you are into wine, look up K Vintners tasting room out near airport.  they've built up a big place out there, have music and events fairly often in the area.  Can't remember the catchy name for it, but you can find it if interested.

and Toulouse was fantastic on my one visit

14 minutes ago, bularry1 said:

if you are into wine, look up K Vintners tasting room out near airport.  they've built up a big place out there, have music and events fairly often in the area.  Can't remember the catchy name for it, but you can find it if interested.

I haven't been there, but discovered them at last year's Austin Food & Wine Festival.  They make a dynamite Syrah, though on the pricey side.

1 hour ago, Spoosner said:

Thanks for the input.  Planning to cash in some sapphire points, and the Four Seasons is "on sale" on the site.  Is that a good location, or too close to Pike Place?  I'm wary of it being like staying near Fisherman's Wharf in San Fran...over priced/sub par touristy establishments.  It looks like the Westin and Mayflower Park are closer to Belltown.  Also a place called Staypineapple Hotel 5 that would be quite a bit cheaper.

Pike Place is not like Fisherman's wharf.   It is a touristy thing but once it closes down the area calms  lot.   The Westin is in good location and the Mayflower Park is a nice one too.   Skip Staypineapple.  

On 3/31/2018 at 3:32 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Catch an M's game at Safeco.

I would go to a Sounders game before the M's. 

I would hit up several breweries; Holy Mountain, Fremont, Reuben's, & Stoup is one of the best 4 mile stretches of breweries in the country. 

11 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I haven't been there, but discovered them at last year's Austin Food & Wine Festival.  They make a dynamite Syrah, though on the pricey side.

they have an extensive lineup, a lot of different syrah's and cabs and other labels under which they make a few Italian varieties and also under a different label some chardonnays.

My wife and one of our daughters are Seattle bound later this month.  Thanks to everyone for the tips.  Toulouse Petit sounds like a place we'd like for a weekday breakfast, but does anyone know how far in advance we'd have to make a reservation?  We always liked to go to Doidge's Cafe (R.I.P.) in San Francisco for breakfast, but it got to the point that we'd need a two week advance notice to get a reservation that wasn't super early in the morning.  We usually didn't have that much lead time.

Does anyone have optional breakfast suggestions?  I appreciate a good breakfast joint, mostly because the really good ones are not a dime-a-dozen.  It doesn't have to be snooty.  In fact, we prefer casual.

We are actually spending more time in Olympia N.P. and Victoria, B.C. than Seattle, but we'll be in Seattle for a couple of days.

3 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

My wife and one of our daughters are Seattle bound later this month.  Thanks to everyone for the tips.  Toulouse Petit sounds like a place we'd like for a weekday breakfast, but does anyone know how far in advance we'd have to make a reservation?  We always liked to go to Doidge's Cafe (R.I.P.) in San Francisco for breakfast, but it got to the point that we'd need a two week advance notice to get a reservation that wasn't super early in the morning.  We usually didn't have that much lead time.

Does anyone have optional breakfast suggestions?  I appreciate a good breakfast joint, mostly because the really good ones are not a dime-a-dozen.  It doesn't have to be snooty.  In fact, we prefer casual.

We are actually spending more time in Olympia N.P. and Victoria, B.C. than Seattle, but we'll be in Seattle for a couple of days.

We like Portage Bay Cafe. There's 4 locations sprinkled around town. Wife always gets the Dungeness crabs Benedict.  Also enjoy Lowell's at Pike Place. Wonderful view of the Sound if you go to the upper floors.

https://www.portagebaycafe.com/

http://eatatlowells.com/

• Like 1

Went to Victoria two summers ago. Like previously said, it is the shit.

For breakfast, hit up Floyd’s. The hash plate is like 3 lbs of food. Red Fish Blue Fish down in the harbor has the best fried fish I’ve ever eaten.

The mammoth exhibit at the BC museum is cool. Plenty of good hiking with insane views. With kids, Avatar Grove was awesome. Easy hike/climb around giant trees. It’s a bit of a drive from town. Whale watching is good. We saw both orcas and humpbacks breaching when we did our tour.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mdmost said:

We like Portage Bay Cafe. There's 4 locations sprinkled around town. Wife always gets the Dungeness crabs Benedict.  Also enjoy Lowell's at Pike Place. Wonderful view of the Sound if you go to the upper floors.

https://www.portagebaycafe.com/

http://eatatlowells.com/

Thanks for the recommendations.  Both places look good.  My daughter takes pride in her Swedish pancakes with lingonberry compote, but they aren't made with organic rice and tapioca flour like the ones on the Portage Bay menu.  I could almost order for her right now because I know that's what she'll want to try.

13 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Went to Victoria two summers ago. Like previously said, it is the shit.

For breakfast, hit up Floyd’s. The hash plate is like 3 lbs of food. Red Fish Blue Fish down in the harbor has the best fried fish I’ve ever eaten.

The mammoth exhibit at the BC museum is cool. Plenty of good hiking with insane views. With kids, Avatar Grove was awesome. Easy hike/climb around giant trees. It’s a bit of a drive from town. Whale watching is good. We saw both orcas and humpbacks breaching when we did our tour.

Excellent.  Do you need to go out on a charter to get decent whale watching?  If so, any advice would be greatly appreciated.  The reason I asked is that when we were on The Big Island, we took a whale watching charter out of Kona which was nice, but I really enjoyed viewing with binoculars from bluffs up the coast because the whales were putting on quite a show.  It was also the time of day because there was too much glare off the water on our charter, and you can guess which side of the boat the whales were on.

Good stuff here. I’ve been working on a list of places for my trip in August. Any reviews of Taylor Shellfish & Oyster Bar or The Pine Box? Both were recommended by a buddy.

Also, how is Cloudburst Brewing?

I plan on going back to Serious Pie & Biscuit too. 

2 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Everything in Olympia is casual. My wife loves Wagner’s for breakfast and in the downtown area. In Seattle I like Lowell’s. It’s touristy but good and during the week really not too crowded.

I screwed up and spelled it Olympia N.P.  We won't be in Olympia early enough in the morning to eat breakfast, as the house we're renting is north of downtown.  Lowell's might work out, though.  Thanks.

I screwed up and spelled it Olympia N.P.  We won't be in Olympia early enough in the morning to eat breakfast, as the house we're renting is north of downtown.  Lowell's might work out, though.  Thanks.

Then hit up Three Magnets brewery in Olympia. They serve lunch and dinner as well or just for beer to go.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Excellent.  Do you need to go out on a charter to get decent whale watching?  If so, any advice would be greatly appreciated.  The reason I asked is that when we were on The Big Island, we took a whale watching charter out of Kona which was nice, but I really enjoyed viewing with binoculars from bluffs up the coast because the whales were putting on quite a show.  It was also the time of day because there was too much glare off the water on our charter, and you can guess which side of the boat the whales were on.

The whales weren't far out but you wouldn't see anything from shore. We used https://5starwhales.com/.  If I didn't have small kids in tow, I would've opted for one of the guide services using small inflatable boats where you have to wear a dry suit to keep from dying. It'd be fun as hell.

Food wise: Red Fish Blue Fish was great. Went there 3 times.  Floyd's diner was one of the best breakfast spots anywhere.  Frankie's Modern Diner had just opened and had a great grill lamb au jus sandwich that was just perfect.  10 Acres was great...it seemed fancier than it ended up being. Don Mee had good dim sum.  

Beacon Hill Park was great for kids. Good playgrounds, gorgeous gardens, a petting zoo.

We tried to do the Pacific Rim driving trail. 120 miles on paper but we only got about half way. it is very slow going. I don't think we averaged 40MPH due to a really low speed limit, winding roads, and no passing opportunities.  We stopped at China Beach, French Beach, Sooke, and Avatar Grove. That filled an entire day.  While on that drive, we had lunch at  Shirley Delicious which was a total mountain hippie eatery but was good.

Lots of good British pubs in Victoria. I went to two - Bard & Banker and The Sticky Wicket.  Both are recommended.  If you're into weed, there's a dispensary on seemingly every other corner.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

From Toulouse Petit website: 

We only accept reservations for our dinner service, which begins at 5pm.
Our breakfast service, lunch service and happy hour are walk in only.

• 7 months later...

Sitting here on Christmas eve planning a trip to Seattle for the Wednesday/Saturday prior to Memorial Day weekend.  Saturday morning I'll take the train down to Portland to stay with my sister in Happy Valley for the holiday and then fly back to HOU on Wednesday.

Been looking at that VRBO place that Macanudo recommended, that looks great.  Also was looking at places in Alki Beach, https://www.vrbo.com/463307 and here https://www.vrbo.com/4108903ha - I love the idea of being able to see the mountains and the city at night, but not having to take the water taxi back to downtown.

I was even looking at houseboats but those seem to be booked already.

This thread hasn't been updated in a while, anybody got any new recommendations?

This is my first time to Seattle and I know very little about the area other than starbucks, that place where they throw the fish, and the space needle.

What are the must-see places for someone with 2 days in the city?

On 12/24/2018 at 2:10 PM, BearSchlong said:

Sitting here on Christmas eve planning a trip to Seattle for the Wednesday/Saturday prior to Memorial Day weekend.  Saturday morning I'll take the train down to Portland to stay with my sister in Happy Valley for the holiday and then fly back to HOU on Wednesday.

Been looking at that VRBO place that Macanudo recommended, that looks great.  Also was looking at places in Alki Beach, https://www.vrbo.com/463307 and here https://www.vrbo.com/4108903ha - I love the idea of being able to see the mountains and the city at night, but not having to take the water taxi back to downtown.

I was even looking at houseboats but those seem to be booked already.

This thread hasn't been updated in a while, anybody got any new recommendations?

This is my first time to Seattle and I know very little about the area other than starbucks, that place where they throw the fish, and the space needle.

What are the must-see places for someone with 2 days in the city?

What are your preferences for activities?

Touristy? Space Needle, Pike Place Market(fish throwing), 

Scenic nature? Olympic Peninsula, Puget Sound Cruise, Mt. Rainier 

• Like 1

gum wall - nasty as fuck, yet interesting

Fremont Troll

Music Experience that is by the Space Needle, or whatever the hell they call it now

Museum of Flight was pretty cool 

Tour of Safeco errr T-Mobile Park...has a cool view of Mt. Rainier from it

Kerry Park has one of the best views of the city 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2018 at 12:21 PM, Spoosner said:

From Toulouse Petit website: 

We only accept reservations for our dinner service, which begins at 5pm.
Our breakfast service, lunch service and happy hour are walk in only.

Get there early and order the Eggs Hussard.  Also, the warehouse wine district in Woodinville is fun.

https://woodinvillewinecountry.com/warehouse-district/