Seattle

workswithseed

On 9/22/2020 at 3:23 PM, Wally Fairway said:

Posting here, so I can find it and go back and read all the recommendations.
Surly is my starting point on researching Seattle (well really anything) - as I have a kid who is interested in moving there, during a pandemic, with shitty air quality due to the west coast burning everywhere. What could be wrong with that ?

Thanks for all the info in this thread (before I read it) and for all the comments yet to come....

Going back next week to visit with the kiddo, they've been there about 9 months. Moved from downtown to Bell Town/Uptown area - looking for suggestions for restaurants and places to hike. They work the weekend, so we only have 1/2 day outings for that; and we have some "must do" tourist crap planned (whale/dolphin watching, underground Seattle, maybe a Boeing tour - friends who live up that way). Not sure how much is still impacted by Covid, kiddo says Seattle is pretty Covid protection compliant

Better hiking Mt. Ranier NP or Olympic NP, or something less touristy? 
Where is the best place to view the homeless encampment?

44 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Going back next week to visit with the kiddo, they've been there about 9 months. Moved from downtown to Bell Town/Uptown area - looking for suggestions for restaurants and places to hike. They work the weekend, so we only have 1/2 day outings for that; and we have some "must do" tourist crap planned (whale/dolphin watching, underground Seattle, maybe a Boeing tour - friends who live up that way). Not sure how much is still impacted by Covid, kiddo says Seattle is pretty Covid protection compliant

If you've only got a half day, don't even think about Rainier or Olympics. You'll spend that in the car/ferry. You can find great hikes up the I-90 corridor (Washington Trails Association)

As to the homelessness... don't worry about it; they'll find you.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/10/2021 at 11:54 AM, South Austin said:

Definitely plenty to keep you around town. Taking the ferry to Bainbridge Island is always fun.

We did the Bainbridge ferry last week.  Was great.  Stopped at one of the little winery tasting rooms (Amelia Wynne).  The food was really good and a couple of the wines were pretty tasty (the rose and sangiovese).

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

Biscuit Bitch in Bell Town has pretty tasty breakfast sandwiches.  Use the app and order ahead of time.  We had to wait an hour for our food.  Rookie mistake.

As for COVID, everywhere we went was CDC compliant (masks if unvaccinated; only place that required for all was indoors at the Space Needle).  That might have changed since we were there in light of the most recent revision in their recommendations this week, though.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

As for COVID, everywhere we went was CDC compliant (masks if unvaccinated; only place that required for all was indoors at the Space Needle).  That might have changed since we were there in light of the most recent revision in their recommendations this week, though.

I’m vaccinated as is my daughter, but my son isn’t. I’m fine with us having to wear masks everywhere as long as the museums and restaurants are open. We leave next Thursday and I don’t need any shit shutting down during my trip.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, miguelito said:

Snoqualmie falls is not far away. There's a "hike" down a dirt road to a view at river level.

You could tie that in with a winery or brewery tour out that way. 

Yeah, that's a good one... I'd actually recommend parking at the bottom/river level and going up and back.

You could also head a bit further out/east on I-90 to one of the many hikes around North Bend/Mt. Si (including Si itself... if you do that one, make sure you scramble the Haystack). Rattlesnake Ledge is a pretty easy out and back with good views (make sure you go to the upper/second ledge, though)

Whatever you do, DO NOT do Mailbox Peak.  Even with the new (longer) trail, it's a beast.

If you decide to go up that way, on the trip back to Seattle you can grab lunch at the Twin Peaks restaurant and still swing by Snoqualmie Falls for some photos and such.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, NWBuck said:

Rattlesnake Ledge is a pretty easy out and back with good views (make sure you go to the upper/second ledge, though)

I’ve hiked this twice. It’s not bad if you have two kids in tow and the views from the top are fantastic.  Both times we stopped by Snoqualmie Falls Brewery for lunch and beer afterward.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

The wife and I have done a few hikes around the area and as mentioned previously, Snoqualmie Falls is a good one for a family, albeit a bit "touristy."

Franklin Falls was also one of our favorites.  It's short, easy, and has an awesome waterfall that you can basically walk right up to.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, NWBuck said:

Yeah, that's a good one... I'd actually recommend parking at the bottom/river level and going up and back.

You could also head a bit further out/east on I-90 to one of the many hikes around North Bend/Mt. Si (including Si itself... if you do that one, make sure you scramble the Haystack). Rattlesnake Ledge is a pretty easy out and back with good views (make sure you go to the upper/second ledge, though)

Whatever you do, DO NOT do Mailbox Peak.  Even with the new (longer) trail, it's a beast.

If you decide to go up that way, on the trip back to Seattle you can grab lunch at the Twin Peaks restaurant and still swing by Snoqualmie Falls for some photos and such.

Another vote for Snowqualmire Falls (from the lower parking lot).   There 's a great little brewery there in town as well (Snoqualmie Falls.)   The Mount Si hike is very good as well and not that far away either.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Ewreck10 said:

Going next Friday for 4 days. Going to hike Rainier with the wife… staying in the Pike’s place area for the last couple of days. Any can’t miss recs food or drink wise? 

I mean if you are staying in the Pike Place area I would still do Lowell's for breakfast. Cloudburst Brewing is one of my favorite spots in that area, though when we were there 6ish weeks ago you needed to make reservations due to Covid. Can still get whatever to go, but a better place to drink at IMO. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Just got back from a week in Seattle and Olympic NP. Awesome trip, beautiful area. Houston really looks and feels like a shithole by comparison this morning.

A few places I’d recommend in the Fremont/Ballard area (north-central, across Lake Union, west of UW/I-5), which is where we stayed in the city:

Ray’s Boathouse/Cafe: PNW seafood/general American. The former is a little more upscale and requires reservations I think, the latter is more casual and upstairs, walk in only. Food is pretty good but the highlight was the upstairs deck right on the sound with a view of Bainbridge and the Olympics. Great place for dinner the first night to get into vacation mode.

Picolinos: Excellent Italian food, really nice space. Cozy neighborhood feel. A nice bonus, while we had some west coast sticker shock moments throughout the trip, the prices here were no more than I’d expect at a comparable Italian place in Houston.

Fremont Berewing: Good sized outdoor space and a variety of beers, walking distance from Gas Works Park.

Some pics that generally don’t do the grandeur of the landscape justice (Olympic Mountains, Hoh Rainforest, Olympic Peninsula coastline, Mt. Rainier from UW, Seattle skyline from Gas Works Park, sunset and halibut dish at Ray’s):

IMG_2052.thumb.jpg.14f4a833e2ee63f06c8316c4b7dc3eba.jpgIMG_1972.thumb.jpg.98f6f800e69b06660d3e26e2feae4028.jpgIMG_1802.thumb.jpg.583b03c5593357dacd4d2491ae654547.jpgIMG_1740.thumb.jpg.85dffa10f8c7284feead6462465fab99.jpgIMG_1604.thumb.jpg.73a25102efb34fa80d002a61f6d078a9.jpgIMG_1562.thumb.jpg.6d6ed8cf4c676cff3843da7aeec89b49.jpgIMG_1505.thumb.jpg.b3d51808e08e98134721b06fa98bf2a8.jpgIMG_1504.thumb.jpg.637019e381ea9988a8076e0ceddc9634.jpg

Planning on going to Ray’s next week!

6 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Another rec for Fremont Brewing over by the Tableau office 

If you go to Fremont, you might as well go to Rueben's and Stoup as well. I mean Fremont is usually my pick, but three is better than one. 

We took the kids to Fremont several years ago and my youngest was about 5 months old. We didn't realize it till we got there, but he had a massive blowout in the car on the way. So bad that shit was everywhere and all of the clothes had to be thrown in the trash at thier bathroom. Its all we think about when we go back, and now my wifes cousin is one of the chemists/testers for Fremont. Makes for a fun story. 

• Hook 'Em 1

@gmr548, I'm heading to Seattle with my kids Thursday morning for a long weekend, and staying in the Queen Anne area.  What's the general atmosphere like in terms of mask requirements, restrictions in restaurants and other businesses, etc.?  It doesn't seem like a whole helluva lot has changed in Austin with the rising numbers and move to Stage 5, but don't how different the numbers and political climate are in Seattle.

[mention=3335]gmr548[/mention], I'm heading to Seattle with my kids Thursday morning for a long weekend, and staying in the Queen Anne area.  What's the general atmosphere like in terms of mask requirements, restrictions in restaurants and other businesses, etc.?  It doesn't seem like a whole helluva lot has changed in Austin with the rising numbers and move to Stage 5, but don't how different the numbers and political climate are in Seattle.

Did not encounter any notable occupancy restrictions. Some places have mask requirements for unvaccinated patrons but that’s of course honor system and mask use in stores is sparodic. Only hard mask mandates are transportation - airport/public transit/rideshare. We did do the underground tour because my girlfriend really wanted to and that required masks. We did not go to any other museums or indoor tourist attractions so I can’t speak to those. Overall, it didn’t feel any different than Texas. We were a little surprised by that.

We looked it up and 78 percent of adults in King County are vaccinated, which is way above Texas cities, and caseloads up there are 50 to 75 percent below the big Texas metro areas, per capita. It’s about as low risk as you get in this country. So I assume that explains the lack of significant restrictions.

5 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Did not encounter any notable occupancy restrictions. Some places have mask requirements for unvaccinated patrons but that’s of course honor system and mask use in stores is sparodic. Only hard mask mandates are transportation - airport/public transit/rideshare. We did do the underground tour because my girlfriend really wanted to and that required masks. We did not go to any other museums or indoor tourist attractions so I can’t speak to those. Overall, it didn’t feel any different than Texas. We were a little surprised by that.

We looked it up and 78 percent of adults in King County are vaccinated, which is way above Texas cities, and caseloads up there are 50 to 75 percent below the big Texas metro areas, per capita. It’s about as low risk as you get in this country. So I assume that explains the lack of significant restrictions.

All that is good to hear.  I have tickets to MoPop and don't mind at all having to wear masks for that. 

We did the Seattle Underground tour on our last trip and loved it.

10 hours ago, shnsajax said:

If you go to Fremont, you might as well go to Rueben's and Stoup as well. I mean Fremont is usually my pick, but three is better than one. 

We took the kids to Fremont several years ago and my youngest was about 5 months old. We didn't realize it till we got there, but he had a massive blowout in the car on the way. So bad that shit was everywhere and all of the clothes had to be thrown in the trash at thier bathroom. Its all we think about when we go back, and now my wifes cousin is one of the chemists/testers for Fremont. Makes for a fun story. 

Lol we've all been there bro. Blowouts at the worst times.

Shame what's happened to Capitol Hill - it's a crime infested shithole now. 

The outdoors stuff like Rainier, San Juan, ferry tickets Bainbridge, etc have been discussed. But a simple bike rental and ride along the Sound from the downtown area to Discovery Park is always nice in the summer. Plenty of places to stop along the way for a brew or just pack some snacks and IPAs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

Shame what's happened to Capitol Hill - it got bought up by a ton of developers and turned into a cut and paste bunch of mixed-use spaces that were bought up by tech folks who drove out all of the businesses and cultural things that made Capitol Hill amazing

Fixed it for those who've watched it happen... same thing happened to Fremont and is starting to take over Ballard as well.

20 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Another question @gmr548 as I'm deciding on what attire to pack for me and my two kids -- what's your recommended dress for the weather?  Did you get by with shorts, or does it get cool enough in the morning and evening for pants?

We're supposed to get rain on Friday (thank God), but other than that, you could be in shorts much of the time.  Layers are always good, and remember it stays light a bit later these days.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, NWBuck said:

We're supposed to get rain on Friday (thank God), but other than that, you could be in shorts much of the time.  Layers are always good, and remember it stays light a bit later these days.

Thanks, man.  My kids and I are the kind who will wear shorts in the 60s.  But we also tend to forget as Texans that it can actually get chilly in some parts of the country during the summer. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, South Austin said:

Another question @gmr548 as I'm deciding on what attire to pack for me and my two kids -- what's your recommended dress for the weather?  Did you get by with shorts, or does it get cool enough in the morning and evening for pants?

We had great weather - high 70's/low 80's during the day, lows at about 60. Shorts were good during the day as 75-80 in the sun is still plenty warm. Not so cold I felt the need to change at night but you could change if you wanted to. I'd imagine it's chilly if the wind picks up. Was a little warm our last night in the city - I think the high that day was 85+ but we were driving back from Olympic - I wore jeans to dinner outdoors and wasn't uncomfortable though. So really if the weather is normal you're fine either way.

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks, man.  My kids and I are the kind who will wear shorts in the 60s.  But we also tend to forget as Texans that it can actually get chilly in some parts of the country during the summer. 

Also a lot of houses and condos in Seattle and the area don’t have ac. So depending on where you stay it can sometime take a little while to cool down when it gets into the 80’s.

The sun and a random homeless person screaming in the nearby alley...

Eh, the random yelling isn't the worst it's the accidental fires from'em.

Sure, but there's always five or six nearby who are neighborly enough to piss it out.

I was also surprised that Seattle didn’t seem any worse, or perhaps was even a little bit better, than Austin on this front. A far cry from LA or San Francisco.

49 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I was also surprised that Seattle didn’t seem any worse, or perhaps was even a little bit better, than Austin on this front. A far cry from LA or San Francisco.

Seattle seems much better in the way of homelessness as far as the west coast is concerned. 

On 7/31/2021 at 12:02 AM, Ewreck10 said:

Going next Friday for 4 days. Going to hike Rainier with the wife… staying in the Pike’s place area for the last couple of days. Any can’t miss recs food or drink wise? 

Down the street from the Market (going north) is Etta's.   Get the crab cakes.   Drink some Manny's Pale Ale from Georgetown Brewing.   Probably my favorite beer of all time.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, South Austin said:

I've been in Seattle the last few days.  About your mask question, it's been pretty good in most places but a few businesses seem to be starting to require them.  You definitely want to keep one in your pocket.

I've been wearing shorts all week but I would not have minded having a windbreaker for the nights or especially on the ferry.

Aso, thanks to everyone here for some tips.  This is my first time here and I've rented a car for the day to do a couple of the hikes suggested.  If you're renting a car, I hope you have reservations, that was not a cheap add on.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, PhillyD said:

I've been in Seattle the last few days.  About your mask question, it's been pretty good in most places but a few businesses seem to be starting to require them.  You definitely want to keep one in your pocket.

I've been wearing shorts all week but I would not have minded having a windbreaker for the nights or especially on the ferry.

Aso, thanks to everyone here for some tips.  This is my first time here and I've rented a car for the day to do a couple of the hikes suggested.  If you're renting a car, I hope you have reservations, that was not a cheap add on.

Car prices out of Seatac have been horrible for a while now.

Edited by shnsajax

3 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Car prices out of Seatac have been horrible for a while now.

We had to pay $1500 last month for a Nissan Armada.  Granted we had it for a week and dropped it off in Eugene but still, pretty damned steep for a rental.

On 8/3/2021 at 9:00 PM, CooterBrown said:

If you have a corporate rate with one of the big providers, you could try it. I’ve booked a couple of cars in the coming months and my corporate rate was our same old $35-60/day pre-COVID price for a sedan. The regular rate was much higher.

Yeah, you're basically screwed if you don't have a corporate account.  During the pandemic, most of the rental companies sold off over half of their fleet of cars.  They expected business to gradually ramp up to pre-pandemic levels, but once the economy opened there was an overwhelming demand for rentals that they couldn't handle.  Huge numbers of customer service agents quit because they were tired of getting yelled by customers who had reservations but there wasn't a car available when they showed up.  I was in Portland three weeks ago and they were barely able to find a car for me even though I had made my reservation six weeks earlier.

12 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Yeah, you're basically screwed if you don't have a corporate account.  During the pandemic, most of the rental companies sold off over half of their fleet of cars.  They expected business to gradually ramp up to pre-pandemic levels, but once the economy opened there was an overwhelming demand for rentals that they couldn't handle.  Huge numbers of customer service agents quit because they were tired of getting yelled by customers who had reservations but there wasn't a car available when they showed up.  I was in Portland three weeks ago and they were barely able to find a car for me even though I had made my reservation six weeks earlier.

I stressed about this for 2 months before heading to Kauai. At the end of our trip there was a chance we’d have to stay an extra day because of a flight cancellation. The Thrifty guy said if I wanted to keep it he’d give me the “$99 a day walk up rate.” I paid almost $200 a day.