Seattle

workswithseed

7 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I stressed about this for 2 months before heading to Kauai. At the end of our trip there was a chance we’d have to stay an extra day because of a flight cancellation. The Thrifty guy said if I wanted to keep it he’d give me the “$99 a day walk up rate.” I paid almost $200 a day. 

$150-200/day seems to be pretty standard these days.  Insanity.

4 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

(then again, aren't you a tourist?)

I am. One of the skinny ones.

I’m at Queen Anne Beerhall, where the masses are packed in and unmasked, not unlike my visit to Pike Place Market earlier today. I’m thinking it’s a matter of weeks before Seattle sees its number sharply rise again.

Edited by South Austin
derp

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I am. One of the skinny ones.

I’m at Queen Anne Beerhall, where the masses are packed in and unmasked, not unlike my visit to Pike Place Market earlier today. I’m thinking it’s a matter of weeks before Seattle sees its number sharply rise again.

GTFO - I just left The QA beer hall

We are leaving today before the heatwave hits. Couldn’t have asked for better weather other than on our hike at Paradise in Mount Rainier National Park. It was high 50s, rainy, foggy and windy, but still enjoyable. We weren’t able to see the mountain until yesterday from Pike Place.

Lowell’s was good and Ray’s Cafe was awesome! Can’t beat the view and the Sablefish I had was fantastic. 

Did the typical touristy stuff around the market, but was very enjoyable. I know it’s yogurt, but Ellenos Marionberry might be the best I’ve ever tasted.

Old Stove Brewery has a good view and good place to drink/kill time. Stopped by Cloudburst and really enjoyed their IPA selections on our way back from Ray’s. 

The homeless situation made me feel like I was back home in Austin. They were a little more aggressive here. One guy was willing to fight anyone that tried to take his Uber/lime bike…. 

All in all it was a great trip and look forward to coming back one day.

52B8FB5E-26BB-4FC3-ABF7-793CE90A0748.thumb.jpeg.19e90e5304be9c119b28e8f76f1f02f7.jpeg6EB38BD7-BD10-4C6F-8683-B7590F2E1F48.thumb.jpeg.4c3f91be3f0184452897782c1358e888.jpeg

Edited by Ewreck10
  • Hook 'Em 7

I'll, finally, give my summary - after 7+ hours delayed in Chi Midway airport

Stayed at the Mediterranean Inn in Queen Anne, reasonably priced, close to some good restaurants, easy access to the bus and walkable to downtown (20-25 minutes), they have a rooftop terrace which is excellent for watching sunset. If you stay in QA - the Metropolitan Market is upscale, pricey and worth it.
Food highlights - La Vita E Bella (2nd & Battery) was great, Agave Cocina & Tequlias  (1st & Republican) was very good, Biscuit Bitch was worth the wait - the rest of the Seattle dining was decent but not notable.
Our stay was very stereotypical tourist: 
 -  Whale watching, Port Townsend (Puget Sound Express)- worth doing once, we was about 3-4 pods of orcas, and a couple of lone orcas. Port Townsend seemed like a good place to spend some time, we had just under 2 hours before our boat left; with an afternoon cruise almost all the shops were closed when we got back (not complaining) and we ate at Sirens which is a very good meal and a great view if you get outside dining (3rd floor balcony overlooking Port of Townsend Bay.
 - Mt Rainier, sunrise - worth the drive, we didn't get there until just before noon, but that worked out because the fog/clouds burned off and by the time we were coming back you could see the top of the mountain. 
 - Downtown - Pike Place, SAM, underground tour, Space Needle, Pike Place again - all about what you would expect, give yourself plenty of time to walk around.
 - Bainbridge Island 1/2 day - don't be an idiot like me, we didn't play well and ended up spending almost 2 hours in the parking lot waiting for the ferry. It's Saturday, everyone wants to go somewhere. But Bainbridge is pretty cool, found a beach (low tide, so that sucked), hiked in Grand Forest, toured around the city. Also, the return ferry will get busy later in the day. And this was our "excitement" for the trip; we missed an early'ish ferry and were 7th in line for the next one, and then they announced that an ambulance was coming to cross and when it gets on the ferry they stop loading and go. And so they did, with a full parking lot and a line of cars stretching out onto the entry road, with only about 52 cars loaded (200 capacity) we  - took off.  
 - other stuff to fill your time Ballard Locks, salmon were going through the locks and trying to avoid the harbor seals, Gas Works Park was a good place to boat and people watch and Kerry Park is worth the hike either sunrise or sunset.

I'll update next year, when we go back to visit the kiddo again - and hopefully Covid is behind us and we can travel to Vancouver for a day or two.

No general photos from Seattle, but this felt like it was out of a movie

IMG-20210807-181311148-HDR

IMG-20210807-2

Edited by Wally Fairway
  • Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Stayed at the Mediterranean Inn in Queen Anne

Get the fuck out of here.  That's where I stayed.  I thought it was a great location.  There are nicer hotels in Seattle, but generally when I'm on vacation I don't spend a lot of time in a hotel room, and the rate was pretty good.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 year later...
22 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Looking at catching the Astros in Seattle this year. Early May or late September.  Is one better than the other weather wise?

Late September is better.  Especially if you want to do outdoor stuff or visit Mt. Rainier.  Plus in September you may also be able to add in a Seahawks, Huskies, or Sounders game as well.

On 12/30/2022 at 5:47 PM, Sundodger said:

Late September is better.  Especially if you want to do outdoor stuff or visit Mt. Rainier.  Plus in September you may also be able to add in a Seahawks, Huskies, or Sounders game as well.

Keep in mind that by September, it could be fairly cold on the mountain.   Went up to Comet Falls in August one year and there was ice on the walls of the falls.   But th weather will be awesome.  

On 8/6/2021 at 2:29 PM, cafe society said:

$150-200/day seems to be pretty standard these days.  Insanity.

You need to use a corporate rate code.  My employer's rate is only decent with Enterprise. Anywhere in the country is $35/day for an intermediate car. 

Another option is to get a credit card, like Venture X, that gives you Hertz President Circle status.  You can book the cheapest car but you get to select any car from the tier group and that same price applies.  I tested this for the first time in Colorado a few months ago and it worked.  

Edited by CooterBrown

• 2 months later...

It’s good to have goals.  Not tripping over tranq’ drug zombies is not achievable in Seattle proper.  You might find a couple block perimeter around a higher end hotel, but if walking through blocks and blocks of Seattle with your small kids is really what you’re going to be doing you will be encountering tent complexes and belligerent drug addicts.  

Cue, It’S LiKE ThAt in EvErY CiTY!!!1!!!

• Haha 1

Staying in Seattle for a few days in August, kids are 4, 6 and 9…what’s the best area to stay in where we are close enough to stuff but not tripping over tranqed out zombies on the sidewalks?

You could stay in South Lake Union or Queen Anne and accomplish your goals. SLU will feel more city/urban whereas Queen Anne will feel more like the experience of living in Seattle. Hotels are easy to come by in SLU but I’d suggest going VRBO/AirBnB if you want to stay in Queen Anne.

August is awesome, so long as there aren’t any smoke issues from wild fires in neighboring states.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Retired to Seattle in 2011, lived in Magnolia.  Moved to Bainbridge in 2018.  First lesson is to learn the fundamentals of the ferries.  Don’t do your summer BI trip on the weekend, as thousands of others are doing that day trip and the ferries get overwhelmed.  Due to maintenance issues the Bremerton line is down to one boat until October so a lot of that commute traffic volume has migrated to the Winslow dock.  Come over early, spend the night, leave by mid day.  Or, during the week, just run counter to the commute:  to BI in the morning, back to Settle in the evening.

But Bainbridge Is and the Kitsap peninsula + Olympic peninsula have much to offer, in terms of beauty, getting out to nature, etc.

• 2 months later...

@nbmishoid @MC Fresh Breath and anyone else,

Just took a job in Bothell. I think we will look east/northeast for housing but the peninsula also seems interesting. Any generic thought or suggestions about the area?  Commute routes that are better or worse than others, things like that?  

going to read the thread now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Pato

Congrats on your job and move.  

As you know Bothell is at the NE tip of Lake Wa.  It’s reasonably well populated and comfy suburbia out there. Lots of variety including towns further afield.  There are legions of folks who live on the “East Side” and won’t think of coming to Seattle but for some event.  We are now on Bainbridge Is but a similar barrier. 

In the rural area north of Bothell things get a bit red state-like.  Pickups passing close to bikers and what not.  

Many wineries are close to Bothell, and Chateau St Michele has a good concert summer series.  A university remote campus also in Bothell.

A dozen years ago we retired to Seattle, the Magnolia neighborhood.   I loved it.  But living in the city gets expensive, even more so, for housing, in any preferred area.  I enjoyed the symphony, the occasional sporting event, or big concert, but it’s not really necessary to live in the city if the need is to access it a few times a year.  

if by peninsula you mean Kitsap, it is surely less pricey and plenty of near rural options.  But, it puts the ferry in play.  We had a 2 year renovation on our place on BI and the guys who had to take the Edmonds - Kingston ferry complained constantly.   Always a sword hanging over their head.  

After  dozen years here, I would prioritize minimizing the commute.  Every place is beautiful, has great weather, and is close to some good things.  You are very fortunate to have your job located in Bothell.  Get as close to there as you can, and lube up your wallet.

6 minutes ago, nbmishoid said:

Get as close to there as you can, and lube up your wallet.

My limited fact finding so far seems to say that the things that are more expensive than Austin (well Georgetown) are housing and fuel.  If that’s the case, I have that covered. If not, could be interesting. That’s why the family will hang back the rest of the year while we figure it all out. 

yes, the ferry for a commute is one of the things i am curious about.  How consistent is the wait time, how long is the actual ferry time, does it ever have to stop running for weather, does it stop running at some point at night?  What does it cost?  

we kind of figure the ferry time as a relaxed part of a commute, and a destressor on the way home. So even if it’s like a 45 minute trip, it’s 45 minutes of me relaxing in the car or watching the water on a good day. 

Pato

Well, the most usage is from BI (Winslow) to Seattle and a far second to the Bremerton line.  All other ferries are lower priority.  So, that would mean the Kingston-Edmunds line, I.e to Kitsap.  If there are employee shortages or boat issues, the higher priority lines get resources.  So, that Kitsap line will have a few unpredictable days a year where there is no ferry, tough luck. This combined with the ferries being overloaded, thus having to wait an hour for the next one, get old.  This is a daily thing morning and afternoon.  If one can “walk on”, much better, but car capacity has been a thing for a couple of years.  Many ferry-maggedon stories.  Then there are occasional snow days.

I like the occasional ferry ride where I didn’t have to compete like a dog with the masses.  But everyday?  Kill me now.

Yes, housing is cheaper in Kitsap.  Test the ferry out for an extended time (take an apt in Kitsap), see if you can live with it.  See my first post, the construction guys hated, hated, hated it.  And that was contra flow.  

FWIW, if you're working in Bothell, I have a lot of friends who live in the nearby Woodinville. As mentioned, really close to the wineries, and a relatively short drive to Sultan, Skykomish, and highway 2 (route into the Cascades-Steven's Pass and Leavenworth).

Edited by NWBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

Monroe is ok.  They have one of the “state fairs” out there.  Small, charming.  Not a bad commute to Bothell.   Not heavy.  A mix of old time locals and newcomers.  Looked great from a bike.  Would say better than Kitsap, on the charm dimension.
Beautiful, great weather, close to good things, does not invoke ferry-mageddon. Check, check, check, check.

Good luck!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/9/2023 at 3:46 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

My limited fact finding so far seems to say that the things that are more expensive than Austin (well Georgetown) are housing and fuel.  If that’s the case, I have that covered. If not, could be interesting. That’s why the family will hang back the rest of the year while we figure it all out. 

yes, the ferry for a commute is one of the things i am curious about.  How consistent is the wait time, how long is the actual ferry time, does it ever have to stop running for weather, does it stop running at some point at night?  What does it cost?  

we kind of figure the ferry time as a relaxed part of a commute, and a destressor on the way home. So even if it’s like a 45 minute trip, it’s 45 minutes of me relaxing in the car or watching the water on a good day. 

I live in Kitsap(Bremerton) and ferry to work 4 days a week.  I bought a scooter and a parking pass at the garage.  I take the fast ferry to work.  It's 30 minutes each way.  It's not bad.  I consider the ride home my decompression time.  I looked at Seattle but the city is an absolute beating right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2023 at 9:49 PM, FartingMonk said:

I live in Kitsap(Bremerton) and ferry to work 4 days a week.  I bought a scooter and a parking pass at the garage.  I take the fast ferry to work.  It's 30 minutes each way.  It's not bad.  I consider the ride home my decompression time.  I looked at Seattle but the city is an absolute beating right now.

Have you ever been to this joint in Seattle? 
A friend says her ex is taking her there this evening for her birthday.

https://elgaucho.com/seattle/

On 6/9/2023 at 3:12 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

@nbmishoid @MC Fresh Breath and anyone else,

Just took a job in Bothell. I think we will look east/northeast for housing but the peninsula also seems interesting. Any generic thought or suggestions about the area?  Commute routes that are better or worse than others, things like that?  

going to read the thread now. 

Congrats again.  Not sure what your budget is, but if it's unlimited, I'd look at places like Bellevue, Kirkland, Ballard and if you can handle the commute, West Seattle.  Hip and happening.  The opposite of Bothell.

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Congrats again.  Not sure what your budget is, but if it's unlimited, I'd look at places like Bellevue, Kirkland, Ballard and if you can handle the commute, West Seattle.  Hip and happening.  The opposite of Bothell.

West Seattle was where I stayed last. Cool area,  nice neighborhoods, bars, restaurants,  shops, and target. 

Edited by Butch Had Not

16 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Hip and happening is not what we are looking for.  Going to look east/northeast and see how far out we have to be to afford an acre or so of seclusion in Snohomish county.  The sweet spot would be 30 minutes or fewer commute at around a half million. Small house, obviously.  Not sure that exists, but I have around 8 months to find out before it’s time to make a decision and bring the family up. 

If I had my way,  I would get a place in Eatonville. Not an amazing place but I LOVE Mt Rainier. My favorite park by a mile and Eatonville is close enough to civilization and just far away enough to the park to make regular trips to it. If that is too far,  Puyallup is an alternative. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2023 at 7:49 PM, FartingMonk said:

Wife just asked about Clinton. Looks like a bridge not a ferry to get across?  Shows an hour for the 17 miles to work from there.  Kitsap has also been mentioned.  Also Kingston. 

both would be closer to Seattle in case a job change brought my work location that direction, as opposed to being way east and adding to the commute. 

sat outside today at 11 enjoying the 60 degree cloudy day.  I’d be very happy to live in Bothell if I could afford it- sleepy and small is just right even with the college campus.

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Haha yeah.  I was quite surprised at the weather this morning.  This is my view from Bremerton.  Bainbridge Island ferry runs every 30 minutes and is super reliable.  It's more expensive though.  Haha yeah man.  I make low 6 figures and I'm like WTF how much do you want a month for condos in Seattle 

PXL_20230710_222854812.jpg

1 hour ago, FartingMonk said:

Haha yeah.  I was quite surprised at the weather this morning.  This is my view from Bremerton.  Bainbridge Island ferry runs every 30 minutes and is super reliable.  It's more expensive though.  Haha yeah man.  I make low 6 figures and I'm like WTF how much do you want a month for condos in Seattle 

PXL_20230710_222854812.jpg

Oh, and csb. Couple days ago I needed something from a hardware store and the closest one to me that had it in stock was the “north Seattle” Lowe’s store, so I head over there about 830 pm. 

what I didn’t know at the time is that

1) the store is on Aurora Ave 

and

2) I shouldn’t be on Aurora Ave, especially at 9pm. 

had my eyes opened and then did some googling when I got back. 

23 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Oh, and csb. Couple days ago I needed something from a hardware store and the closest one to me that had it in stock was the “north Seattle” Lowe’s store, so I head over there about 830 pm. 

what I didn’t know at the time is that

1) the store is on Aurora Ave 

and

2) I shouldn’t be on Aurora Ave, especially at 9pm. 

had my eyes opened and then did some googling when I got back. 

Hahahahahaha.  Senioritas de la Noche are prowling 

Let's try not to make this CR. Wife and I stayed at Hotel Pan Pacific back in 2009 for 4 nights. She had never been to Seattle and I had on several occasions. I loved the city, being a big man I mainly loved the weather, but I'm a big foodie and sightseer too. Tried to go back before Covid but that was at the height of the antifa antics and occupy Wall Street and all that other nonsense so she shot it down.

My question is, has the city calmed down and returned to normal? Would you feel comfortable staying downtown and walking to dinner somewhere, then walking back to the hotel after sunset? We had a rough experience in San Francisco a few years ago so between that and the previous attempted return to Seattle she has been pretty adamant about not returning anytime soon.

25 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Let's try not to make this CR. Wife and I stayed at Hotel Pan Pacific back in 2009 for 4 nights. She had never been to Seattle and I had on several occasions. I loved the city, being a big man I mainly loved the weather, but I'm a big foodie and sightseer too. Tried to go back before Covid but that was at the height of the antifa antics and occupy Wall Street and all that other nonsense so she shot it down.

My question is, has the city calmed down and returned to normal? Would you feel comfortable staying downtown and walking to dinner somewhere, then walking back to the hotel after sunset? We had a rough experience in San Francisco a few years ago so between that and the previous attempted return to Seattle she has been pretty adamant about not returning anytime soon.

You will be fine in that area.  Back in 2009 that was basically the ghetto.  Amazon owns that entire block now.  They have good nightlife there.  You're still gonna run into community members but they generally leave people alone.  It gets shadier when you try to walk towards Pikes Place market.  3rd and Pine/Pike is where you start running into zombies.  If you are from Houston and you know about the Greyhound station McDonald's and thought that was bad.  The McDonald's here is way more ghetto.  Seattle in summer is amazing.  

• Like 1

The Antifa stuff here is pretty much dead and when they do protest they are more bark than bite.  The crazy Antifa stuff is from Portlandia.  They are trying to disrupt the All Star game but I don't see it happening.  The movement has mostly died due to people being pissed at how out of control it has gotten 

• Like 1