Grateful Dead General Thread

Hate

Got to try out my new copy of Europe 72 on the turntable last night.  The records (3 in all) seemed like they were out of order in the sleeves, and it was dark.  So I started off with Morning Dew.  They did a really good job with this 50th anniversary pressing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

Got to try out my new copy of Europe 72 on the turntable last night.  The records (3 in all) seemed like they were out of order in the sleeves, and it was dark.  So I started off with Morning Dew.  They did a really good job with this 50th anniversary pressing.

That’s the last track on the album. Were you listening to it backwards? 😎

I can still vividly recall my first time hearing Jack Straw. It was on Europe ‘72. I had just purchased it on CD and was listening to it for the first time. It was early 1988 and I had given a friend a ride down to Columbus State. I waited in the car while she ran in to pick up or drop off something. I was listening to it on my Sony Discman. I was so thrilled I made her put on the headphones and listen to it when she got back in the car.

Going back through my setlists, I didn’t see Jack Straw live very often. I didn’t see it for the first time until my 6th show and not again until my 16th show almost two years later. Then at my 26th show a year after that (same venue - Deer Creek in Noblesville, IN), then again at my 29th show. This is mildly interesting...that was the first time when it wasn’t the show opener. Let The Good Times Roll opened and Jack Straw came next. I saw Stranger > Franklin’s at two of my first three shows. Twice it opened the show, the third time it came immediately after a Let The Good Times Roll opener. I’ve noticed from personal experience and from listening to live recordings that shows opening with LTGTR tend to be pretty hot.

• Hook 'Em 1

Jack Straw is probably the song I’ve heard the most from the GD and all of the incarnations I’ve seen them in. My favorite may have been the 4th of a July in Spicewood just outside of Austin. The crowd went crazy of course. Both times I’ve seen Dead & Co they played it.

8 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That’s the last track on the album. Were you listening to it backwards? 😎

Yep. There's a ton of noodling leading into Morning Dew, and it didn't occur to me that it was Disc 3 until they dropped into Morning Dew.  And at that point, I was like fuck it and just enjoyed it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Yep. There's a ton of noodling leading into Morning Dew, and it didn't occur to me that it was Disc 3 until they dropped into Morning Dew.  And at that point, I was like fuck it and just enjoyed it.

Labeling discs last night, or maybe it was the night before, I did 6/10/73. It opens with Morning Dew. It was the second-to-last time they opened with it, the last being 11/30/73. They used to open with it more often in the 60’s. They opened with it 4 times in 1970, then those two times in ‘73, and that was that.

6/10/73 is a good show. Three sets at RFK Stadium with the Allman Bros and Merl Saunders joining in for all of Set III.

• Hook 'Em 1

Some early Dead. July 29th & 30th, 1966. Not the earliest I have on bootleg which is 2/25/66. Heck, the filler on 7/30 is from 3/25/66, just the 7 songs in the partial setlist in Deadbase. There are a lot of unknowns and uncertainties in early setlists. Deadbase has the setlists switched for these two shows and they acknowledge that as a possibility possibility. From what I’ve read, the general consensus is that the longer, two set performance was on the 29th when they went in earlier in the day. On the 30th they went on later and didn’t play as long. The recordings at archive.org conform to Deadbase but the recordii in BCS uploaded to YouTube correspond to the swapped dates. They played three nights at the Trips Festival in Vancouver but I can’t find any record of what they might have played on the 31st.

On what Deadbase lists for 7/29, there are some songs listed that aren’t on my 7/30 recording. Mine just has 6 tracks, a “microphone test” followed by Dancin’, King Bee, One Kind Favor, Hey Little One, and Minglewood. Deadbase lists those songs in that order, but mixed in it lists Cold Rain & Snow, You Don’t Have To Ask, BIODTL, and Schoolgirl, all of which are absent. This recording uploaded to YouTube exactly matches mine.

The only version of 7/29 I found is a playlist made up of individual videos.This conforms exactly to what Deadbase lists as 7/30. My copy is only the first set so ends with Cream Puff War. It’s missing Viola Lee Blues, BIODTL, and Schoolgirl. This playlist includes a few extra tracks dated as 7/30 including Cold Rain & Snow and You Don’t Have To Ask. I have no way of knowing if they’re accurately labeled or not. The graphic on all these videos is of the Dead’s first album but remember that it wouldn’t be released until March 17, 1967. Listen to the response when the band is introduced. Sounds like no one has ever heard of them before.

E0500B5B-393C-46B2-9039-E4937562437F.png.c463d529cfd865756aad07f800d27b13.png

This is an awesome show. Denver Coliseum 11/21/73. It’s got a great setlist that just seems kind of perfect for Denver, CO in 1973. There’s good country and western flavor, earth and sky imagery, decent representation from Wake of the Flood. If you’re in snowy mountain territory then Dire Wolf would have to seem apropos. I would’ve loved being at this show. It’s a great assortment of songs.

The whole show is great but I want to draw your attention to one little jam. This show was released as Road Trips Vol. 4 No. 3. In Deadbase and on the official release both, the big Playin’ double sandwich is labeled Playin’ > El Paso > Playin’ > Wharf Rat > Playin’. That segues into Morning Dew and you really want to listen to the whole show but if nothing else, listen to all of that sequence.

The jam in between El Paso and Wharf Rat is not Playin’. For a moment it sounds like they’re going back into Playin’ but they don’t. They never go back to playing in 10. It’s got hints of the coming Wharf Rat but I don’t think you can call it a Wharf Rat Jam. The one recording I checked at archive.org lists it as Dark Star Jam. That’s easy to understand because it’s got that flavor too and both Dark Star and Wharf Rat are in the same key. But I wouldn’t call it that, either. It’s just a nebulous jam, free form as they wander from one place to the next. It’s four-and-a-half minutes of the Dead doing what they do better than anyone: full band improvisation without a net. The tempo shifts, everyone is listening to and playing off each other and keeping the whole thing together; it’s a musical conversation creating something unique that will happen that one time only and never again. That’s what it’s all about.

Here’s a link to the Road Trips playlist so you can pick and choose what you want to here. This includes the filler of Truckin > Other One > Stella Blue from the night before, same venue. (There were several repeats from the night before played on 11/21.) There’s a little Mind Left Body Jam before the segue into Stella Blue.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIJmYQvaDU3HCmfvIFSzSk-3cjjMyojAn

Here you can go straight to the jam I’m talking about.

And here’s the whole Road Trips embedded so you can listen to it like you’re there, not knowing the whole setlist in advance.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'll check that out tonight.  There is nothing better than a long lead into Wharf Rat.  I used to think that LL Rain and Eyes of the World were my favorite songs, but I think my favorite has evolved into Wharf Rat.  I love everything about that song and it's fantastic in any era.

This show isn’t listed in Deadbase and I can’t find it at archive.org so the date is questionable but I have confirmation from one prolific YouTube contributor. (A guy who goes by OkieDeadhead and that may prejudice you against him but he uploads a lot of good quality recordings so kudos to him for that.) I don’t recall where I downloaded it but my disc was labeled “8/29/68?” with a question mark so whomever I got it from was uncertain. I haven’t found what other show it might be. It’s cut at both the beginning and end but there are some great jams. I wish I had more shows from ‘67-‘69.

// St. Stephen >
Cryptical >
Other One >
Cryptical >
New Potato Caboose >
Alligator >
Caution //

Well it's official.  I am unemployed...for a week.  I have the next 9 days to blow it out because I am going to not only return to the office to work but also drive all the way downtown every day (Houston).  So I plan on enjoying the next several days as much as I can.  I will be golfing, drinking and listening to the Grateful Dead.  I can't load any bowls though and have had to refrain.  I was told by the HR lady that I wouldn't be drug tested but the offer letter stated that I will be, so I am not taking any chances.  Anyway, the only drug I really need is the Grateful Dead!

• Hook 'Em 1

You could choose 7/2/89, 7/4/89, 7/7/89, 5/8/77, 8/27/72, 6//22/73, 5/17/74, 5/7/77, 5/8/77, 5/26/77, 5/28/77, 10/29/77, or any other fantastic show!  Go back through this thread and find one you like.  Tonight I'm checking out 2/9/73

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Hate said:

You could choose 7/2/89, 7/4/89, 7/7/89, 5/8/77, 8/27/72, 6//22/73, 5/17/74, 5/7/77, 5/8/77, 5/26/77, 5/28/77, 10/29/77, or any other fantastic show!  Go back through this thread and find one you like.  Tonight I'm checking out 2/9/73

Debut of Wall of Sound.  Nice.

• Hook 'Em 1

What’s y’all favorite version of Loose Lucy & U.S. Blues live? 

can anyone recommend some live sets to me? So far I’ve heard -

7/8/78 - Red Rocks 

4/8/72 - Empire Pool, London, England

3/9/81- MSG

Europe 72

5/8/77- Cornell (does anyone believe, “ The show that never happened”) 

Skull and rose live

15 hours ago, Born to Run said:

All I want is China Cat right now, what do you two got? Also any full shows if you're a fungi guy for this weekend. Brain needs a reset and my friend is holding chingos de hongas. Allegedly. Totes not mine, that shit fell in the lake with my weed Mr Abbott.

9/21/72

• Hook 'Em 1

Many of you "audiophiles" may have already experienced this, but I just upgraded my phone to an IPhone14 Pro Max with 3rd generation Airpods....holy shit, is the spatial sound made for any other band than the Grateful Dead.  The sound is absolutely perfect.  It's like I am plugged directly into the soundboard and listen to all of the different instruments independently.  It's outstanding to have a few one hits, a few bourbons, and enjoy the Grateful Dead the way they were intended to sound!

• Hook 'Em 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've been on a China Cat/Rider kick lately.  The show I was listening to last night has an outstanding one.  I got too drunk/stoned and feel asleep.  I had a long and stressful week at work and I was exhausted last night, so  I am not surprised I fell asleep.  So I'm up tonight finishing the show from last night and then moving onto another show that will have an outstanding China Cat/Rider.

One more Dead & Co. Show at Barton!

Oh shit, not Springs.  Some lame-ass Hall at Cornell:

https://cornell23.com/

But hey, a show's a show.  

Got offered free tickets tonight for Bob & the Wolf Bros.  But can't make it, daddy-daughter event tonight.  And certainly won't be making any Dead & Co. shows.  Guess this is it, save for maybe one more Bob & whomever show down the road.  Been a fun ride.  24 shows in all incarnations.  Some of the best times of my life.  

Statisticallty speaking, there is probably somebody on this board.  But I looked at tickets this afternoon and there still hundreds available.  I had a line on a free pair but had a function with my daughter that was more important.  Obviously this is my jealously pouring out, but ACL Live/moody is not the best place for Bob and his (predominantly) acoustic band.  I saw him with the same setup a few years back at Bass and was closeup and it was pretty fucking spot-on.  Maybe  I'm wrong about this setup and hope that I am, but not too worried about missing it.  still it's Bob, so you wanna see him in any incarnation.  You fuckers going to Dead & Co. in Dallas, drink it up and report back!  We are in the final days of it all.  

I'm perfectly ok with my last time seeing Bob, Bill, and Mickey.  It was a great show in my own backyard (practically).  There is a tribute band playing the Saturday the 18th in Houston.  I may try to make more of those type of shows going forward.  I really wish DSO would come here or that JRAD would come back, but they rarely make it anywhere really close to me.  Oh well, I've got  whiskey, weed and the internet to make that the The Music Never Stops.

Edited by Hate
  • Hook 'Em 2

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bob-weir-and-wolf-bros/2023/acl-live-at-the-moody-theater-austin-tx-5bba0784.html

Okay.  Fuck-itty, fuck, fuck, fuck.  Look at the damn setlist.  Shit.  It was from Tuesday (not the one I was offered seats for).  But "Don't Let go" by Roy Hamilton.  Never mind the dream setlist of Dead/Bob/Jerry songs.  FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 hours ago, YGIFS said:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bob-weir-and-wolf-bros/2023/acl-live-at-the-moody-theater-austin-tx-5bba0784.html

Okay.  Fuck-itty, fuck, fuck, fuck.  Look at the damn setlist.  Shit.  It was from Tuesday (not the one I was offered seats for).  But "Don't Let go" by Roy Hamilton.  Never mind the dream setlist of Dead/Bob/Jerry songs.  FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At some point during the Fare Thee Well shows, I called my old college buddy I went to lots of concerts with back in the day and said, "If 20 year old me could travel in time and get a look at me missing these Chicago shows, he'd kick me square in the ass."  Thank goodness that one guy took stellar video.

Yeah it was a great show. The backing band really kicked things up a notch. Fantastic Stella Blue.
  • Like 1

I've been listening to the 3/17/94 show I posted above all day and goddamn! I was wrong about Eternity.  I've always disliked it and have talked about it on this thread, but upon further listen I really like it.  That show has an absolutely fantastic set list. I'm eternally Grateful that I was able to see this as my last show.

• Hook 'Em 1

Happy 1st! I love this song and this album.

It’s a shame they never really played it live. They only played it a few times in 1980, only during acoustic sets, and never with lyrics. I can understand playing it as an instrumental. The lyrics aren’t very Dead-like. But I like them just fine. I can’t remember which show it was but I’ve heard Bobby playing that Heaven Help riff in a jam in some Dead show. I probably have it jotted down on a Post It note affixed to the CD case. If I come across it I’ll let you know.

Here’s the penultimate performance from 10/30/80 (they played it for the last time the following night):

They debuted the song on 9/29/80. That was just Bobby and Brent: