Grateful Dead General Thread

Hate

Pretty decent AMA last night. There weren’t a whole lot of questions. It’s worth checking out.

Someone asked Dennis if he had a show that he thought should be made into an official release. He went with 6/30/74 from Springfield, MA. I thought that sounded familiar.

Yep, I’ve got that one. I obviously got it in a trade. Whomever I got it from included some cool labels that were a take on the later Dick’s Picks covers.

06E6A4A5-E458-41C1-BBB8-0BCC93953140.thumb.jpeg.4c6ae728d0686e753d511f2645164e7f.jpeg

03194A34-B798-4553-8A42-173C9694054D.thumb.jpeg.bb6c88c76b74f37ded80d4e09b476c41.jpeg

The only problem was that they forgot to include text on the edge so you can’t see the date when it’s on the CD rack.

BB05DE63-76ED-4068-8EB8-3A011605B0BB.thumb.jpeg.f9e545e2cf78e055854dff08c924dd02.jpeg

Dennis pointed specifically to the Playin’ > UJB > Playin’ that closed the first set which he described as, “45 minutes of heaven.” But yeah, this a great show. There are some technical difficulties with the sound during Don’t Ease to start. You can listen to it here:

1974-06-30 Springfield, MA @ Springfield Civic Center Arena

Set 1: Don't Ease Me In, Black Throated Wind, Peggy-O, Jack Straw, Loser, Greatest Story Ever Told, Cumberland Blues, Dire Wolf, Playing in the Band > Uncle John's Band > Playing in the Band 

Set 2: Seastones 

Set 3: China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, Big River, Scarlet Begonias, El Paso, U.S. Blues > Truckin' > Nobody's Fault But Mine Jam > Eyes Of The World > Stella Blue, Not Fade Away > Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad > One More Saturday Night

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I think I posted this years ago on the 40th anniversary.  It's now about the 45th anniversary.  But I exchanged texts with my 94 year old uncle today as he and his 'ladyfriend' saw the Pyramids at Giza in person after a lifetime of waiting.  And I thought of Jerry's album cover for "Cats Under the Stars."  And then sure enough, his daughter, my second cousin, Leah, who was a regular at Terrapin Crossroads in San Rafael (Phil Lesh owned it) right by their house and I communicated and it just solidified how this music brings so many disparate people together.  And in case you don't think we're living in a simulation, I put my phone down to put my budding astronomer daughter to bed and there it was just like the 8:00 mark on this video...the spiral light of Venus.  Rising first and shining best.  

A rare and different tune we all are:

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 2

What’s better than sitting on the porch drinking, smoking, and listening to LL Rain during a thunderstorm??

Not a goddamn thing!

I’m listening to the LL Rain from 5/26/77 (just to piss off wtb), which is perfect!

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

I never thought Black Peter was funny at all. Ymmv.

This was the best one I saw. The whole show was great. Hotter ‘n Hell on a Sunday afternoon. No beer sales on Sunday in PA so we picked up carry out 6-packs from some bar. Really cool scene around the stadium. They had a firehose spraying the crowd down front by the stage. CSN opened. This was the first of the shows that went on the View from the Vault DVD releases. There was a cool moment during Row Jimmy when a multi-colored hot air balloon passed over the stadium.

68FE561F-4BA0-48BB-9C53-D36DF46F8C93.thumb.jpeg.c8730273a19f4dd8c1c115573fbd6981.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
And just dispel any rumors before they can spread that the audience is 100% white people…
IMG_2466.thumb.jpeg.9513c45a87e0f5e0eff7de1b18484c7b.jpeg
…I got a photo of the Asian fan in the audience. 
I also saw that one black dude that plays bass in the parking lot and I believe on the street in Santa Cruz at the show inside, so extra diversity.

Bad ass show in Dallas. Kinda bummed I didn’t travel to another show or two — Charlotte was apparently a highlight so far.

Anyone know how to redeem your free stream of the show on nugs.net via your ticket? I have a case of the olds when doing so.

On 5/26/2023 at 9:19 PM, Hate said:

And tonight is for the 46th anniversary of one of my favorite shows, 5/26/77 from the Baltimore Civic Center in Baltimore, Maryland.  It's a great listen no matter what WTB says.

The show is well played. It’s just easily the least jammed out show I’ve ever heard. I’m open to nominations if you think you can find one with fewer jams. 

I'm a little bit of everywhere tonight,  I've been sending some things to a co-worker of mine that is young (27) but somewhat older beyond his years.  He's starting to like the GD as he was into some fairly eclectic stuff before, so the GD makes some sense to him.  Anyway, here is a fantastic show from 46 years ago tonight.

Saturday was great (Help Slip Franklin to start the second set was outstanding), but we'll be talking about the Friday show for a while. Felt like an all-time classic. 

https://taperssection.net/SharedShows/Share/d858a407-a61a-4b34-a142-aaa351c838f5

Friday set list:

20230609_224815.thumb.jpg.85025d6c989a0c020af7916e3981e583.jpg

Saturday's:

20230611_005631.thumb.jpg.08bfbf65716f7d45385dcc5b3074eefc.jpg

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 2

Saturday was great (Help Slip Franklin to start the second set was outstanding), but we'll be talking about the Friday show for a while. Felt like an all-time classic. 
https://taperssection.net/SharedShows/Share/d858a407-a61a-4b34-a142-aaa351c838f5
Friday set list:
20230609_224815.thumb.jpg.85025d6c989a0c020af7916e3981e583.jpg
Saturday's:
20230611_005631.thumb.jpg.08bfbf65716f7d45385dcc5b3074eefc.jpg
Nice dude, how was sound volume. Was there last year and it could have been louder. Great time though, and a great city in summer.

We are doing Nyc, Boston, and SF partly due to cooler weather.

On 6/16/2023 at 8:49 PM, Born to Run said:

Nice dude, how was sound volume. Was there last year and it could have been louder. Great time though, and a great city in summer.

We are doing Nyc, Boston, and SF partly due to cooler weather.

Sound was definitely better than last year, but I think that perceived sound quality at Wrigley may depend at least in part on your location. 

Mickey almost hit The Brown Note though, for whatever that's worth! 

Shit, missed the 30th anniversary of the last show I ever saw of the band with Jerry before I moved from Chicago.  I can't remember which one we went to, it was just one of the two.  But here are the setlists.  Holy shit, 30 years ago yesterday.  Seems like a lifetime.  

FRIDAY: https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~./gdead/setlists/dead-sets/93/6-18-93.txt

SATURDAY:  https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~./gdead/setlists/dead-sets/93/6-19-93.txt

I think it was Saturday.  If one you tech savvy cats wants to find either show and post it, much appreciated.  I would see them with Jerry a couple more times before he died, but never again in my hometown.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Goddamnit…Forgotten space canceled for this Friday. I’m so pissed. Oh well, it’s about to get real here on the porch with this storm. Guess I’ll sit and watch it rain on the porch and listen to a little LLRain.

• Rage+1 1

That's awesome, wish I could go watch it.  I was at the Saturday night show of that run when Bruce Hornsby joined them.  I don't know the story but somehow Bruce managed to become a favorite son of Chicago around that time.  I guess all his jazz and blues work.  I remember we had Bartles & James wine coolers before the show which may have been a bad choice in hindsight.  But we were just sophomores.  

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/grateful-dead/1991/soldier-field-chicago-il-13d60101.html

Unremarkable set list (Must've Been the Roses as the third song seemed strange and out of place - like they wanted to suck the energy out of the crowd or something) and no songs stand out too much, though Bird Song and China Cat were probably my favorites from each set. 

20230628_072043.thumb.jpg.ed2a6e6e0af5243f91244e4f61f0e9d8.jpg

Haven't have lawn/general admission seats at a large amphitheater in quite a while - was a much different vibe than expensive seats at Wrigley. 

Smoke from the Canadian wildfires made for a surreal environment. It was pretty terrible for the first half of the show, but got a little better as the night progressed. Made for some interesting enhancements to the light show though...

Huge thumbs-up to the venue management for leaving Shakedown alone and un-fucked-with. 

20230627_170703.jpg

20230627_173353.jpg

20230627_192624.jpg

20230627_213827.jpg

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

my companion and I needed to stretch our legs after stretching our brains during Drums/Space...

That's a great opening sentence to a chapter in a David Foster Wallace novel.  Provided there's a 17-sentence footnote explaining what Drums/Space means.  

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, YGIFS said:

That's a great opening sentence to a chapter in a David Foster Wallace novel.  Provided there's a 17-sentence footnote explaining what Drums/Space means.  

Pemulis would have gotten along fabulously with us the other night, and some of the organic chemistry footnotes from IJ wouldn't have been at all out of place, either...