MLS 2018 Thread

ATLLonghorn

On 9/1/2018 at 8:08 PM, GabrielsHorn said:

Shitty day for the Longhorns, but I'm glad FC Dallas was able to seal the deal and win the cannon. The spurt after half time was pretty great. Barrios is looking damn good as well. 

Just watched the highlights. (I got caught up in the downer that was college football this weekend and didn't think to check on the Burn.)

The second Houston goal came via PK. I can see why it was originally called, but it looked like it should have been waved off from the replay. (Only one replay, not multiple angles.) The defender slid toward the ball, knocked the ball away, and then the Houston player stepped on the defender's foot and went down. That's great defending, not a penalty.

But Dallas was up 4-1 at that point and their 4th goal had been from a PK, so I guess that it was just easy to let this one stand.

Recap & Highlights: https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2018-09-01-fc-dallas-vs-houston-dynamo/recap

Beckham is following Palermo, Italy (not the neighborhood of Palermo in Buenos Aires, ARG) and is going for The Pink.

MLS Miami expansion team unveils name, crest
miami-1280.png?2z1VZS8kegb5Esi4FgVEXiK6J

Miami's new MLS expansion team unveiled its club name, crest and colors early Wednesday morning, bringing a splash of global and Latin American flair to the league.

The team's name, Club Internacional de Fútbol Miami, celebrates Miami as “a truly global location that welcomes and embraces all cultures and communities," and is a nod to “Miami’s international, diverse, inclusive, creative and ambitious spirit,” according to a club statement. 

“This is such a proud day for myself and for the entire team. It’s an honor to announce the new name and crest to our fans,” said David Beckham, Miami MLS Owner and President of Football Operations. “We are taking another important step in establishing our club and today marks an important moment in the history of Club Internacional de Fútbol Miami.”

The club also released its official website, intermiamicf.com, social-media handle: @intermiamicf(Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) and motto: “Libertas, Unitas, Fortuna.” The motto pays tribute to the concepts of freedom, unity, solidarity, inclusiveness, opportunity and good fortune for all.

“Our city and our fans draw their strength from the dreams of a global population that calls Miami home,” said Miami MLS Managing Owner Jorge Mas. “It is only fitting that our name pays tribute to the inclusiveness that makes us who we are.”

Fellow Miami MLS Owner and Chairman Marcelo Claure added: “We are extremely excited to offer the team’s identity to Miami and the world. This team will thrive on the principles of solidarity, passion, innovation, tenacity and inclusivity and embodies all of them in every aspect of our daily work – on and off the field.”

miami-mark-guide.png

Some funny stuff on the first response to the original Tweet. 

DmUyDWFUwAAl2FC.jpg:large

"Flip it and it's a guy taking a shit."

https://twitter.com/InterMiamiCF/status/1037278693465485312/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1037278693465485312|twgr^373939313b73706563696669635f73706f7274735f616374696f6e&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.espn.com%2F

I think that flipped it looks like the top guy is relaxing during a 69 session and just enjoying the blowjob and the girl (Statue of Liberty?) has her legs in the air like she don't care.

Inter of Miami CF / Club Internacional de Fútbol Miami articles:

MLS Soccer: https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/09/05/mls-miami-expansion-team-unveils-name-crest

ESPN: http://www.espn.com/soccer/major-league-soccer/story/3624401/david-beckhams-mls-team-named-inter-miami-cf-ahead-of-2020-season-launch

Soccer By Ives: https://sbisoccer.com/2018/09/inter-miami-cf-is-new-name-for-beckhams-mls-expansion-team

Set to launch in the 2020 season...

Vamos a ver.

Other Soccer By Ives MLS News:

Nashville Metro Council approves MLS stadium measure: https://sbisoccer.com/2018/09/nashville-metro-council-approves-mls-stadium-measure

MLS unveils playoff schedule, MLS Cup datehttps://sbisoccer.com/2018/09/mls-announces-playoff-schedule-mls-cup-final-to-be-played-on-december-8

-Right before Bowl Season, but perhaps the weekend AFTER NCAA Conference Championship Games.

-I find it rather odd that this shit isn't determined before the season. This isn't even MID-SEASON, this is AFTER LABOR DAY... with about 7 weeks left to go in the regular season. The final quarter of the season is when you announce how the playoffs and championship of your league is going to play out? #amateur #bushleague

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

League darling LAFC with all El Tri fans watching in the US and in Mexico are going down to RSL.

Even though they are hosting, and now in the 8th minute of stoppage time (EIGHT MINUTES!!!), the refs still can't help LAFC out of this hole and the league office has to absolutely be shitting their pants.

What a colossal fucked opportunity for the league to have Zlatan and the LA Galaxy crap the bed at home on the final day of the season to miss out on the playoffs and then Bob Bradley's international soccer soup of excellence falls on their face while hosting the elimination game before anyone is even paying attention. The Western Conference is fucking the league.

And after 11 MINUTES of Stoppage Time (This one goes to 11... minutes... of stoppage time), the refs finally admit defeat and blow the whistle.

LAFC 2 - 3 RSL (FT)

GAME HIGHLIGHTS:  http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=3687080

11 minutes is Copa Libertadores level of stoppage time. (Actually, River Plate had to fight off Gremio on the road in Brazil, until the 14th minute of stoppage time, because they won a penalty that took until the 5th minute of stoppage time for it to be taken and they tied the aggregate 2-2 with River having the away goals advantage. Even after giving Gremio until the 14th minute, police had to protect the ref after the match.)

Just saw that the surging DC United, with EPL legend Wayne Rooney lost to Columbus and is out of the playoffs.

So far the marquee Designated Players are going down in flames in the MLS elimination round.

Good luck getting people around the world to pay attention to the playoffs when the people they know from the UEFA Champions League are dropping like flies.

That added stoppage time and then the continuation of it after more shit was thrown on the field was reminiscent of referees from ok st a few years back. That was ridiculous. And for the record. Fuck any team and fan from LA. Garbage. I couldn’t care less about watching that man bun wearing idiot on galaxy. Plenty of other teams out there that play great football. Just watch Sporting Kc for anything better then the galaxy and Lafc has put up. 

End rant. 

Got my tickets to Sunday’s Timbers and Seattle game. Expensive at $150 a pop but should be good! We need revenge for the piss poor showing in the cascadia cup this year! 

# onward rose city 

Edited by Eugene11

Someone pointed it out on Twitter and I thought was interesting, we're 90 minutes from the probable next coach of the USMNT (Greg Berhalter) facing the probable next coach of El Tri (Tata Martino) in the Eastern Conference Finals. Not counting on Columbus getting a result in Jersey or Atlanta not choking though.

Holy Crap what a win.  Elimination game in a packed hostile environment vs an arch rival.

Kind of a lame rule that the away goals as an equal goal differential tiebreaker disappear in extra time.  Some Timbers players thought they advanced at the end of 120'.  Maybe it helped em stay loose.

7 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Holy Crap what a win.  Elimination game in a packed hostile environment vs an arch rival.

Kind of a lame rule that the away goals as an equal goal differential tiebreaker disappear in extra time.  Some Timbers players thought they advanced at the end of 120'.  Maybe it helped em stay loose.

I think that that's the way it should be, but I don't think that that's the way it is in Europe.

Giving an advantage to one team in extra time, when the home team didn't get 30 extra minutes on the road is ridiculous.

But you're in the Conference Finals, so quitcher-bitchin' and buy a ticket for your brother to the game.

Got me in the feels for real. Been a great ride and he was always very accessible to the supporter groups. Gonna miss him and can't wait to see how bad the Hunts fuck up the hire. 

Been a season ticket holder for 5 years and really thinking about not renewing. Fuck this front office

4 hours ago, triplehorn said:

GOOOOOOAAALLL VALERI !!!

2-1 Timbers at 63’

When in doubt, sign an Argentine attacking player.

2 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Portland vs Atlanta... God damnit this is the worst fucking outcome. Fuck both of these teams

If you can't sign an Argentine attacking player, sign an Argentine manager.