The Wire

thepop

4 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

The ending of the first season, when you flashback to the storm -- that was well done and beautiful.

Your example -- it's what I didn't like about the show -- it seemed forced, partly because you never quite buy her liking him (or anyone liking him) in the first place, but it's mostly "Hey, beignets" ("Which is what we eat here in New Orleans, viewer!) (throw in the Cafe DuMonde vs. Cafe Beignet or whatever is the coolest one to like controversey.)

Show me a scene where they are eating at new orleans restaurants or eating new orleans food -- don't jab me with "HEY!  New Orleans, Beignets!"

Not a huge issue, but one that stops the show down a bit.

How about grilling out with Kermit Ruffins? 

The beignets weren't the point. (Seriously, would you have liked it better if he showed up with Dunkin Donuts?) He brought John Boutté to sing to her. That was the point. Yeah, it wasn't love. It was a relationship of convenience. They were friends with benefits. And he was a good friend to her. 

It's not like he was Ziggy. 

I was gonna say, it's a rough mug shot but she looks the same she did 15 years ago.  Not many other folks on that show can say that.  

Edited by Lobo

End of Treme threadjack.  Just finished the series.

I'm still going with my original theme.  If the Wire was Leo Tolstoy's War, What is it Good For?, then Treme is Anna Karinina ("each unhappy family is unhappy in it's onw way" )

I thought Treme was great in its own flawed way.  

I still think Zahn's character and in the last two seasons, the Annie T. character, were huge, hulking hunks of metal that weighed down the show.  I just could never buy that anyone, even low key New Orleans folks, could tolerate Zahn for more than half a beer.  Let alone come back to him again and again.

Annie T. was fine in terms of the early romance and up to the Steve Earle deal.  She (Macarelli?) just wasn't a good enough actress to pull off that much of the plot, and her music (and especially her singing) just weren't compelling. 

Pretty powerful tale of death and rebirth. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm going to get the lowdown when I see the guy this weekend.  Having spent about 15 minutes a few days ago making faces into a mobile phone while a cat mirrored my facial movements, my first thought is that it was all fake.  I think it ended up simply being Hassan Johnson doing a solid for a loyal fan.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Thought some of you might find this cool.  A friend of mine apologized for missing my birthday.  (I never remember people's birthdays).  A couple of days ago I got this:

http://whiterockjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Personal-Wei-Bei-1.mp4

That's badass. My mom just did the same thing for me with Colton Dunn:

Cameo is a pretty great idea. 

Also i'm going to go back and binge The Wire again now. I've been waiting for it to get cold here, but that might never happen, so may as well start tonight.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

I recently finished rewatching season 3. I still rank the seasons 2, 1, 3, 4, 5. But season 3 was really entertaining. More laughs than in the first two seasons, some of them fairly subtle. I think they had a bigger budget to work with and they were getting a lot more polished in their storytelling.

One of the reasons I rank season 3 third is because the first two seasons could've been documentaries, but with the Hamsterdam storyline they introduced the hypothetical. My understanding is that there actually was a Baltimore police officer who speculated on whether or not something like that would work but obviously it's not something that was ever tried. It was entertaining to see them playing it out in a fictional setting but it was a departure from the realism of the first two seasons. 

I still pick up on little things I never noticed before. In the episode where they're tracking the guy driving miles down the interstate buying a couple burner phones at a time at all the different convenience stores, they finally come to the last one on the route where the cashier remembers the guy and they save all their receipts. The other guy behind the counter is wearing a Sikh turban and gives a double take when McNulty says, "Seek and ye shall find."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Watching this for the first time now and about halfway through S4.
Just incredible.
And I wanna fuck the shit out of Pearlman.

Both of these. I watched the first 2 seasons probably 10 years ago and for some reason stopped. Recently went through them all from the start. Helluva show. 

On 4/23/2020 at 7:40 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

I recently finished rewatching season 3. I still rank the seasons 2, 1, 3, 4, 5. But season 3 was really entertaining. More laughs than in the first two seasons, some of them fairly subtle. I think they had a bigger budget to work with and they were getting a lot more polished in their storytelling.

One of the reasons I rank season 3 third is because the first two seasons could've been documentaries, but with the Hamsterdam storyline they introduced the hypothetical. My understanding is that there actually was a Baltimore police officer who speculated on whether or not something like that would work but obviously it's not something that was ever tried. It was entertaining to see them playing it out in a fictional setting but it was a departure from the realism of the first two seasons. 

I still pick up on little things I never noticed before. In the episode where they're tracking the guy driving miles down the interstate buying a couple burner phones at a time at all the different convenience stores, they finally come to the last one on the route where the cashier remembers the guy and they save all their receipts. The other guy behind the counter is wearing a Sikh turban and gives a double take when McNulty says, "Seek and ye shall find."

I thought I was the only one who enjoyed season two that much.  Every ranking people either put it last or second to last.  But it was such a great season with great characters.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 5:40 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

"that's a lot of ringdings"

I loved season 2.  Nick's girlfriend has maybe the best tits that I've ever seen anywhere.  And fucking Ziggy.

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I loved season 2.  Nick's girlfriend has maybe the best tits that I've ever seen anywhere.  And fucking Ziggy.

Nicky's girlfriend's titties were nice. The chick they set Cutty up with at that house party when he wanted to get back into the game in season 3 has her beat. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

I haven’t watched it since it originally aired. Shit has happened since then 

Well then, by all means, continue to enlighten us with your commentary. 

You probably should have gone with Frank Sobotka and The Greek. The guy you thought was Russian -- Sergei --the guy who said, "Boris, why always Boris?" wasn't even Russian. He was from Ukraine. (And The Greek wasn't Greek.)

Season 2 expanded into the port and the international drug trade. Hamsterdam was only in season 3. Season 4 tackled the schools. Season 5 addressed the media. They're all connected. If you didn't get that then you weren't paying attention. 

• Like 3

On 4/27/2020 at 7:23 AM, Horn_Spanker said:

Just binged season 1 for the first time.  You guys seem to say it only gets better?

It's one of the best series ever.  Part of it's greatness IMPO was the changing "sub-focus" of each season.

I was right there with everyone mid-season 2 saying, "fuck this bullshit, gimme more cops vs. Barksdale gang".   

Watch it all once.  Give it 6 months and watch it again.  It's even better the second time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2020 at 2:32 PM, Incredulity said:

I was right there with everyone mid-season 2 saying, "fuck this bullshit, gimme more cops vs. Barksdale gang".   

Bingeing Season 2 now.  Wife and I look at each other wondering why the hype?  Is season 3 better than 2?

1 minute ago, Horn_Spanker said:

Bingeing Season 2 now.  Wife and I look at each other wondering why the hype?  Is season 3 better than 2?

Stay with it.

This thread got me watching the series again, probably my 5th time.  The more times I watch the series the more I like Season 2. As I said, first time through I just wanted more of Season 1, but the different focuses of each Season is a plus IMPO in retrospect.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Stay with it.

This thread got me watching the series again, probably my 5th time.  The more times I watch the series the more I like Season 2. As I said, first time through I just wanted more of Season 1, but the different focuses of each Season is a plus IMPO in retrospect.

I think this is the major reason S2 is shat upon by Wire rookies and beloved by Wire veterans.  Once you understand that each season explores a different aspect of drugs and politics in Bodymore, Murdaland, S2 can be understood as one of the better seasons, if not the best.

There are characters in The Wire that span the show, subject to their death, and those that are seasonal.  Season 2 has probably the best seasonal characters in the show.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1