The Wire

thepop

On 3/31/2018 at 8:42 PM, thepop said:

Just finished season 4. Not my favorite show but damn good. I see why it's highly praised.

giphy.gif

On one hand I want to pos rep you for starting this thread. On the other, I want to neg you for saying it's not your favorite show.  I'm conflicted so I guess I'll just leave you with this.

giphy.gif

5 hours ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

On one hand I want to pos rep you for starting this thread. On the other, I want to neg you for saying it's not your favorite show.  I'm conflicted so I guess I'll just leave you with this.

giphy.gif

I don't usually care for crime shows

Odd bit of trivia that I picked up on on my second run through, Lt. Mello (Bunny Colvin's right hand man in S3 and later Western District commander) is portrayed by the real Jay Landsman.

So this guy:
dennis-mello.jpg
Is played by this guy:
30-02-1024.jpg

Or vice versa. I think that’s what you mean and now I’m having a funny.. wait which way to say that is correct, but the guy pictured in the police uniform (in his role as Bunny’s right hand guy) is in real life the homicide squad leader who is portrayed by the fat guy. Also his balmer accent is great.

Also, the dude who looks like Paul Mooney and is killed in the same scene where Omar jumps out the window is the real life inspiration for Marlo’s character.

Also Snoop is basically not acting. And Slim Charles is a musician in a DC based go go band.

Possibly dumb question. Who did Michael kill at the end of S4? Was it supposed to be someone we knew? 

Earlier, when Marlo tells Chris to

whack Bodie

and suggests the pup,  Chris says he shouldn't do someone he knows. 

Found it on a Wire wiki, it was the guy that was abusing Bubbs.  Still don't know why he was on Marlo's shitlist.

Edited by TwiceHorn

3 hours ago, Celery Man said:

That dude who got killed in the flying Omar scene was married to Fran Boyd, who was the centerpiece of Simon's Wire forerunner The Corner, which was his own response to Homicide. The Corner focused on the McCulloughs, a drug-addled family living in West Baltimore. Fran had a bit part in The Wire too, as did her son DeAndre. (He was Brother Mouzon's incompetent bodyguard.) Dude who looked like Mooney died a few years back of natural causes, and DeAndre McCullough OD'd on hydro. 

Or vice versa. I think that’s what you mean and now I’m having a funny.. wait which way to say that is correct, but the guy pictured in the police uniform (in his role as Bunny’s right hand guy) is in real life the homicide squad leader who is portrayed by the fat guy. Also his balmer accent is great.

Also, the dude who looks like Paul Mooney and is killed in the same scene where Omar jumps out the window is the real life inspiration for Marlo’s character.

Also Snoop is basically not acting. And Slim Charles is a musician in a DC based go go band.

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

4 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

That dude who got killed in the flying Omar scene was married to Fran Boyd, who was the centerpiece of Simon's Wire forerunner The Corner, which was his own response to Homicide. The Corner focused on the McCulloughs, a drug-addled family living in West Baltimore. Fran had a bit part in The Wire too, as did her son DeAndre. (He was Brother Mouzon's incompetent bodyguard.) Dude who looked like Mooney died a few years back of natural causes, and DeAndre McCullough OD'd on hydro. 

Clarke Peters, who played Lester Freamon in The Wire (and Big Chief Albert Lambreaux in Treme), played a junkie in The Corner. Not just any junkie, the big junkie.

I read the book before I saw the mini-series. The book is so much better than the mini-series. The show was okay but you should definitely read the book. It has a lot more depth and detail. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, finished the second run through it.  As I think was noted at the old place, everything seems to change a little with subsequent viewing.  S5, man, really weak.  S2 may have been my favorite on this run.  I have always been a defender of S2.

I suppose everything will change again next time I watch.

On 4/9/2018 at 3:24 PM, Parliament said:

Elba shoulda played Avon Barksdale and via versa. Wood Harris just doesn't have the gravitas to pull it off. All he does is squint and talk all badass.

The whole run-up from the beginning to the end of Season 3 was to show how Avon's crew was truly being run by Stringer and Avon was just a name to rally it all behind. Avon was just a corner man at heart. Stringer was the true business man. It was casted exactly the way it needed to be.