The Wire

thepop

16 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

lost sucked at the end, as many great dramas do, but the first 3-4 seasons were awesome, and each episode was appointment TV when it aired.

edit: and it's damn sure miles ahead of peaky blinders, which is such a bland, derivative show. with lost otoh, The Constant and Through The Looking Glass are two of the best episodes of television i've ever seen. at least one makes my all time top 10, maybe both. 

You left out Sex and the City

16 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

lost sucked at the end, as many great dramas do, but the first 3-4 seasons were awesome, and each episode was appointment TV when it aired.

edit: and it's damn sure miles ahead of peaky blinders, which is such a bland, derivative show. with lost otoh, The Constant and Through The Looking Glass are two of the best episodes of television i've ever seen. at least one makes my all time top 10, maybe both. 

durp

Edited by BHMCruiser
durp durp

22 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

God I miss that show. Can't believe Brie Larson was chosen over Alison Brie for marvel. She's great, and was better comparatively, when they both played together on Community.

6 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

You left out Sex and the City

Did he? Did... He?

• 3 weeks later...

almost done with my rewatch (late s4) and as far as character development, the most impressive arc is carver, and i don't think it's very close.  they did a masterful job with him, including great scenes with daniels in s1 where he finds out he's the mole, and then later with colvin when he explains why he isn't a good cop yet, even with the stripes.  he takes all that to heart and actually grows and evolves. 

we also see how he breaks with herc, who was essentially his equal/partner at the beginning.  we see where and how their paths diverge.  i would also say that carver's story is one of the reasons the whole randy situation was so heartbreaking.

mcnulty's career went backwards and he quit drinking.  incidentally, he also basically quit being on the show.  don't think he pops up more than a handful of times this whole season (4).  sure hope he redeems himself with a compelling storyline in s5.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

About 3 shows into season 3. So far, not a fan. The scenes with the deputy commissioner grilling the majors seem over the top, but might be the way it really is. Hope it gets better. 

Keep watching.  Hamsterdam is pretty amazing  and probably more topical today than 20 years ago.  

COMSTAT is hugely important to S3 and S4.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

About 3 shows into season 3. So far, not a fan. The scenes with the deputy commissioner grilling the majors seem over the top, but might be the way it really is. Hope it gets better. 

i imagine it's pretty accurate. they went to pretty great lengths to make things as real as possible, including casting the real life James Landsman in the show.

Jay C. Landsman is an American retired homicide detective and actor. He was featured in David Simon's 1991 book about the Baltimore homicide unit Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets. According to the book, Landsman was the last of his family line on the Baltimore Police Department. 

i imagine it's pretty accurate. they went to pretty great lengths to make things as real as possible, including casting the real life James Landsman in the show.
Jay C. Landsman is an American retired homicide detective and actor. He was featured in David Simon's 1991 book about the Baltimore homicide unit Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets. According to the book, Landsman was the last of his family line on the Baltimore Police Department. 

Whoa. I did not know that. I always loved the complexity of his character.

Not every series can be like 3 Broke Girls or NCIS: Special Victims Unit
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm finishing up my third run-through.  As good as ever.  But Season 5 is such a let-down.  I don't know how PDs really work, but the whole McNutty serial killer bs seems so implausible, among other things.  And Freamon going along with it?

The newspaper aspect I find interesting at least, and the hunt for Omar and Marlo keep it just interesting enough.  But I find myself tuning out on the McNulty storyline and having to rewind when it goes back to something interesting.

I think Gandorf's observation about Carv is pretty solid, in large part because it was unpredictable.  Bubbles' arc is more predictable, but also more gratifying, although I have a personal interest in that. Plus, the ultimate recovery of a junkie is never a certain thing, so if you know about that, you're on edge.

Spoiler

He's either going to come clean on Sherrod, or he's going to relapse.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Two episodes in for We Own This City. I’m really liking it. Baltimore is such a fucked up town.

Quite - You should come here and see for yourself!
(Hint: Most of it isn’t like the shows)

Simon nails the crooked cops and politicians though… that shit is on lock.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/1/2022 at 7:49 AM, South Austin said:

Two episodes in for We Own This City. I’m really liking it. Baltimore is such a fucked up town.

I've got a good buddy from Baltimore. He would agree, but he loves it dearly. He goes back every chance he gets. 

On 6/27/2022 at 7:43 PM, Buzzrock said:

Lost sucked. I was really happy that I bailed out during season 2 and then everyone hated the ending.

One of television's all-time great villains was coming up.  You cheated yourself.  And the ending was fine.  If the GoT ending was a 10 on the shit scale, Lost is barely a 3.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 8:49 AM, South Austin said:

I binged WOTS last weekend.  First program I watched afterwards was an O’s game whose pregame (as almost always) included the National Anthem.  What did they show during its playing? A BPD patrolman at attention, saluting.  My very first thought was wondering whether he’s crooked ..

PS:  I love Baltimore .. but my days of venturing anywhere outside Inner Harbor are over.

On 6/27/2022 at 5:02 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

Hide contents

By contrast, McNulty was reformed and faithful at the end of The Wire.

i'm giving s5 yet another try, and in like s05e04 mcnutty is drinking from a flask in the interrogation room getting fussed at by bunk for conjuring up a serial killer after a night where he didn't go home and left mrs michael scott up all night worrying.  so yeah.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Dammit, I forgot about her…she’s on the list.

Edward J. Tilghman Middle School Assistant Principal Marcia Donnelly? She even had the 2006-era Balwlmer hair.

Donnelly had a pretty scrong accent, as well.

So, I was digging around and the actress, Susan Tootsie Duvall, evidently is a Bawlmer native.

Which led to this bit of trivia that may not have been explored.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Norris

Norris, playing the eponymous murder police, was BPD Commissioner, appointed by Martin O'Malley, a likely inspiration for Tommy Carcetti, where he reduced crime dramatically, supposedly.

He then ascended, like Rawls, to Commissioner of the Maryland State Police, but under a different governor.

He was later convicted of misuse of funds while BPD commissioner, and got the "headshot" (mortgage fraud).

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

So I just did another watch. Depending on my mood I typically stop after S3 or S4. I'd estimate that's now 9x I've watched seasons 1-3. ~6x I've watched S4 and only my 3rd time watching S5.

My main takeaway this time: S5 was better than I remembered. Though it's still comfortably fifth on my season power rankings.

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

Just watched the episode

Reveal hidden contents

Where Bell gets shot. Gotta admit, I didn't see that coming. 

I suppose by the time it happened, I saw it coming.

But earlier, you knew there was going to be a reckoning, and up until that point, I think Stringer had been the more cunning and ruthless of the two.  But he had begun to lose his edge, particularly for violence, through the Co-Op and all his bidness dealings.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Others have posted some of Thomas Flight's material here, but this is one of his newer ones and I didn't see it on the thread, I thought I would share it, really good breakdown of the show:

His whole playlist of his breakdowns of the Wire are here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXJ3434wIyxOumPrTQVbiFIX82SNNY9Jn

The guy very much loves the show and I recommend watching all of them.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/6/2022 at 9:14 PM, TommyGufano said:

My main takeaway this time: S5 was better than I remembered. Though it's still comfortably fifth on my season power rankings.

It’s unquestionably the least of the five seasons of the best series ever on tv. But that’s not really that much of a knock, all things considered.

When you revisit it, you get over the initial shock of McNulty doing something you never thought he’d do, and see how the storytelling is still so strong, and how his character, the main character of the show, is finally resolved. And in a satisfying (and at one point hilarious) way. It works. It wasn’t what we were expecting but that wasn’t our call. At the end of the day, it was pretty solid.

Now go watch Treme. 

On 8/2/2022 at 11:07 PM, Party_Taco said:

Quite - You should come here and see for yourself!
(Hint: Most of it isn’t like the shows)

Simon nails the crooked cops and politicians though… that shit is on lock.

Agreed. I consider The Wire to be a very optimistic take on Baltimore. 

I think we've talked about this but I think Baltimore is terrible. I lived in Bolton Hill and then in Towson. While I liked Guilford and Roland Park architecturally, I really didn't think it was all that safe (or worth the money). And Towson was sort of a nowhere culturally. 

• 5 months later...

Finally finished the series for the first time about a month ago. Obviously up there with my favorite shows of all time.
I know the last season gets a bad rap, but the way they brought back key characters for brief final season cameos was as good as I’ve ever seen it done. None of them felt forced and they included damn near everyone I wanted to see.

• Like 2

I am finally getting around to watching this.  It's like the last truly great series I haven't watched.  Just recently rewatched Breaking Bad and The Sopranos, so I feel like it's time.  I've seen the first 3 episodes and I hate to admit it but, it's kind of slow.  I'll stick with it since everyone says it's awesome.   

1 hour ago, Go Pokes said:

I am finally getting around to watching this.  It's like the last truly great series I haven't watched.  Just recently rewatched Breaking Bad and The Sopranos, so I feel like it's time.  I've seen the first 3 episodes and I hate to admit it but, it's kind of slow.  I'll stick with it since everyone says it's awesome.   

everybody says this. stick with it. 

Yeah, with The Wire you spend the first half of the first season or so trying to convince yourself that everybody else was wrong and it is overrated, but you're going to stick with it just to say you did. Then somewhere around the back half of the first season you look back and realize how well they have built everything up and that it really is one of the greatest. Also, Deadwood needs to be on your list of shows to watch.