The Wire

thepop

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Damn. This show got me thinking how bad in idea it is that police imitate the military with all sergeant/lieutenant/major stuff. Then Bunny sums it all up.

Colvin is an underrated character in that show, if there is such a thing.  One of the few level headed senior police and did so good by Nay

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I love that season, but it’s gut-wrenching.

I've slowly drug my wife into watching The Wire. She probably caught 25-50% of season one when I was binging it the other weekend, and now she's down to watching nightly episodes of season two and is paying enough attention that she's asking about the connections w/ characters and their arcs. She's close to hooked, and I expect her to be all in come season 3. And season 4 is going to have her so angry at me for making her watch something with that much raw bone honesty.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/8/2022 at 5:24 PM, Buzzrock said:

Damn. This show got me thinking how bad in idea it is that police imitate the military with all sergeant/lieutenant/major stuff. Then Bunny sums it all up.

Bunny did a phenomenal job of being a leader. He is a great part of the show. 

Buzz I'm really enjoying you sharing your experience. Your enthusiasm prompted me to start another watch. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I've slowly drug my wife into watching The Wire. She probably caught 25-50% of season one when I was binging it the other weekend, and now she's down to watching nightly episodes of season two and is paying enough attention that she's asking about the connections w/ characters and their arcs. She's close to hooked, and I expect her to be all in come season 3. And season 4 is going to have her so angry at me for making her watch something with that much raw bone honesty.

You drug your wife? You might be on to something there. 

On 6/8/2022 at 8:27 PM, Buzzrock said:

Season 3 episode Episode 11:

Reveal hidden contents

HOLY SHIT

Didn’t see that coming, did you? That was huge.

Spoiler

But if you go back and watch it again, the foreshadowing was there. The scene where Stringer meets with Colvin to sell out Avon was set in a graveyard. And in that last meeting between Stringer and Avon, on the balcony overlooking the city, there are some glances that make more sense in retrospect. Old friends parting ways.

On 6/9/2022 at 5:17 PM, WJC88 said:

Buzz I'm really enjoying you sharing your experience. Your enthusiasm prompted me to start another watch. 

All of this.  Don’t really have the time to rewatch the whole series because kids/work, but it’s keeping The Wire on my mind and rewatching more obscure scenes on YT.  Like this gem:

Method Man did a damn fine job as Cheese.  And of course Brother Mouzone…”Mr Cheese, I see” with a sprinkle of contempt.  And Bubs knowing it’s about to go down

On 6/10/2022 at 9:07 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

This. 

and S2 might be the best season. That’s weird to stay but it stands alone and is so, so true to real life. 

S2 is my personal favorite. It does so much to expand the layers of The Game and how even those who don't think they're actively part of the drug trade, corruption and "bad" crime are just as culpable. Episode 1 even winks at how the church is getting its piece by selling the space for the stained glass window to the highest bidder...err, "donor." Sabotka and the dock workers would have continued to grease the palms of the politicians with money gotten by boosting cargo and things would have moved on as usual if Valchek wasn't a petty bitch about his window.

20 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

mad men is my favorite drama of all time until i do a rewatch of the wire.  and vice versa.

you want it to be one way.  but it's the other way.

The advertising stuff in Mad Men was entertaining. The soap opera stuff? Not so much. They’re nowhere close to being in the same league.

I was visiting a friend who had never seen Mad Men several years ago. There was a marathon on some channel and I tuned into an episode. We watched Don sell someone on some clever ad campaign. Then we changed channels and I told him that’s basically all he needed to know about the show. Cool look, though. 

17 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

chris bauer (frank sobotka) was born oct, 1966 which means he was only 36 years old when the wire season 2 aired.  might've been 35 when it was shot.  james ransome (ziggy) is only 13 years younger than him.  the more you know.

That’s a hard 35.

22 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

chris bauer (frank sobotka) was born oct, 1966 which means he was only 36 years old when the wire season 2 aired.  might've been 35 when it was shot.  james ransome (ziggy) is only 13 years younger than him.  the more you know.

now i'm on to s02e08 and the guy who plays frank's big brother was born in 1933 making him 33 years older than bauer and damn near 70 when this episode came out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Who’s your favorite henchman: Herc or Slim Charles?

Herc is a fucking asshole. He does one worthwhile thing in the whole series (sorry for the spoiler) while fucking up everything else. The divergent character arcs of him and Carver shouldn’t be overlooked.

Slim Charles by a mile. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Who’s your favorite henchman: Herc or Slim Charles?

Slim, and it’s not even close. He’s a rumble-tumble playa for sure, but it is his code of honor and loyalty coupled with an intellect to often see the smart play and bigger picture of The Game that set him part and earn the respect of all sides.

Herc? Just a loudmouth shit for brains who can’t help but fuck things up. You’ll see…

Edited by Dutch

24 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Yeah I’m 1.5 episodes into s4. Not sure how well the schools/mayoral race plot lines will hold up to the prior three seasons.

It’s strong. The political side is more thinky. But how it relates to crime, the police, the budget, and education is meaningful. The school storyline, and the story arcs of the kids involved, is significant. For Michael and Dukie in particular, also Namond. The nail gun plot line is also a big deal. Marlo, man. As villains go, he’s pretty strong. You love to hate him. And Herc continues to be an incompetent moron.

Trying to put myself in your shoes, I’ve already binged through 11 episodes. Trust me, you’ll love it.

34 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It’s strong. The political side is more thinky. But how it relates to crime, the police, the budget, and education is meaningful. The school storyline, and the story arcs of the kids involved, is significant. For Michael and Dukie in particular, also Namond. The nail gun plot line is also a big deal. Marlo, man. As villains go, he’s pretty strong. You love to hate him. And Herc continues to be an incompetent moron.

That's a good rundown of Season 4, which might be my favorite.  I also liked a bit of a redemption story for Prez, although you knew he was swimming against a strong current in that school. 

23 minutes ago, South Austin said:

That's a good rundown of Season 4, which might be my favorite.  I also liked a bit of a redemption story for Prez, although you knew he was swimming against a strong current in that school. 

Prez was a bad street cop but a good analyst and investigator. Sydnor makes a comment early on in season 4: “I miss Prez.” He made a good teacher. He taught his students the math behind shooting craps and commented how when they don’t know they’re being taught, they learn. And then there’s Colvin. Out of the police force because of the Hamsterdam issue, he got involved in education too.

Namond’s mom is still a cunt, totally into the game as a way of life. We also see the struggles of kids whose parents are junkies. Michael’s mom fucking sold their Rice-A-Roni.

And then there’s Bodie who is a great character just trying to navigate life with the cards he was dealt. He’s smart, thoughtful, and responsible. And he can spit better than anyone.

Trying to put myself in your shoes, I’ve already binged through 11 episodes. Trust me, you’ll love it.

I love having Prez in the school, that was a great idea. And my question about Slim and Herc was a little tongue in cheek. Slim is a 100% purebred gangsta, and Herc is a big palooka, but I do think he’s funny. Lol at him walking in on the mayor getting his pipes cleaned.

Confession time: I was confused why Lester was driving Carcetti around. For a few minutes I thought they were the same actor.