Disney World

luke duke

Good luck.   And if I were your Father In Law, I would have told you  screw you  if you think you are dumping your kids on me and the wife for the duration of the trip or even one day.  This is where you earn  the  Disney family vacation badge. Millions of parents have done it before you and now it's your turn.  

Partner up with someone fun and do Drink Around the World at Epcot. Tell your wife “see you later” upon doing so, even if she and everyone will continue to stroll right along with you as you partake in each country’s booze of note. Fall asleep at the dinner table in a restaurant as your wife quietly fumes over your behavior. That usually completes day one for me, and I look forward to it every two years. I don’t have any help to offer when it comes to Magic Kingdom. Good luck. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Count the number of times assholes with strollers hit you in the back of your heels because they can't judge how close they are to the people in front of them. Another fun activity, count the number of parents yelling at their children. Happiest place on Earth, my ass. 

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Litre of Hefeweizen at Biergarten in the Germany pavilion. Margaritas in the Mexico area. Pubs in the England area. 

La Cava del Tequila is outstanding, but don't start there because you won't get much further.

3 hours ago, luke duke said:

We went to Hollywood Studios today. If we were the only ones in the park we could have done everything worth doing in about 45 minutes. Instead, it took 8+ hours.

Edited by mdmost

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

And Animal Kingdom is 100X more humid and hot than the rest of the parks. But it does have the Everest ride which is pretty fun. No help on alcohol there. Epcot, you're golden.

Maybe I'm misreading your post, but Animal Kingdom does serve alcohol. The Nomad Lounge is great though the service can be flaky. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from a 7 day excursion.

Couple of notes.  Maybe it's just me, maybe I'm too perceptive.  Or just old.  

Disney seems to be slipping a bit on the edges.  We went 4 years ago, and compared to that trip, there were little things that just weren't up to snuff compared to that trip.  Bus wait times, encountered a few surly cast members (note: hell, I don't blame them.  I'd be wanting to shiv someone after a few hours of putting up with tourist bullshit), some deferred maintenance here and there, breakfast at two places (O'Hana and Chef Mickey's) was really, really, really subpar, and whatnot.

Little things, to be sure, and in the grand scheme, probably few noticed. But compared to the last trip, they did stand out.  

Oh, and rascal/scooter usage was unreal.  Wife and I followed some guy into the Avatar ride in his early 20's riding one.  He was probably 6' 180 or so.  Parked the scooter, jumped off and walked in without any issues.  You hate to judge without knowing someone's full history, but still.....he didn't seem "scooter-worthy".

When all the Star Wars shit is fully operational, Hollywood Studios is going to be just a gridlock of humanity.

6 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Just returned from a 7 day excursion.

Couple of notes.  Maybe it's just me, maybe I'm too perceptive.  Or just old.  

Disney seems to be slipping a bit on the edges.  We went 4 years ago, and compared to that trip, there were little things that just weren't up to snuff compared to that trip.  Bus wait times, encountered a few surly cast members (note: hell, I don't blame them.  I'd be wanting to shiv someone after a few hours of putting up with tourist bullshit), some deferred maintenance here and there, breakfast at two places (O'Hana and Chef Mickey's) was really, really, really subpar, and whatnot.

Little things, to be sure, and in the grand scheme, probably few noticed. But compared to the last trip, they did stand out.  

Oh, and rascal/scooter usage was unreal.  Wife and I followed some guy into the Avatar ride in his early 20's riding one.  He was probably 6' 180 or so.  Parked the scooter, jumped off and walked in without any issues.  You hate to judge without knowing someone's full history, but still.....he didn't seem "scooter-worthy".

When all the Star Wars shit is fully operational, Hollywood Studios is going to be just a gridlock of humanity.

It had been for years and I couldn't agree more. Management is determined to turn every attraction into an IP regardless of how it fits in the overall theme. Crowds continue to go up so nobody cares about my opinion, but I can't stand what they did to FutureWorld and the removal of The Great Movie Ride was pointless. I've also noticed how incredibly busy the buses are even in the offseason. The food has generally gotten worse, but was never THAT great. The theming and ambiance always helped there.

3 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

It had been for years and I couldn't agree more. Management is determined to turn every attraction into an IP regardless of how it fits in the overall theme. Crowds continue to go up so nobody cares about my opinion, but I can't stand what they did to FutureWorld and the removal of The Great Movie Ride was pointless. I've also noticed how incredibly busy the buses are even in the offseason. The food has generally gotten worse, but was never THAT great. The theming and ambiance always helped there.

Noticed a system of gondolas between Epcot, Hollywood Studios and a few of the resorts going up.  Disney has to know there's a transportation issue, and is trying to stay ahead.  But not sure the gondolas are going to be enough to deal with the hoards.    You said something about offseason; our driver from the airport told us there was no such thing any longer.  He said more and more families just take their kids out of school in the fall with the idea there is some kind of slow period, but it just doesn't exist.

Never expected a theme park to have great food offerings.  But when your kids even notice the food isn't as good as it was years ago, that's something.  

Disney can still do some things that are, well, breathtaking (the entire Pandora area of Animal Kingdom, for example).  But some other things really need some attention. Toy Story Land is well done.

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Noticed a system of gondolas between Epcot, Hollywood Studios and a few of the resorts going up.  Disney has to know there's a transportation issue, and is trying to stay ahead.  But not sure the gondolas are going to be enough to deal with the hoards.    You said something about offseason; our driver from the airport told us there was no such thing any longer.  He said more and more families just take their kids out of school in the fall with the idea there is some kind of slow period, but it just doesn't exist.

Never expected a theme park to have great food offerings.  But when your kids even notice the food isn't as good as it was years ago, that's something.  

Disney can still do some things that are, well, breathtaking (the entire Pandora area of Animal Kingdom, for example).  But some other things really need some attention. Toy Story Land is well done.

We went last September which is traditionally one of the slowest weeks and it's much busier than it was 5 or 6 years ago. I used to work in attractions and I could tell a few rides were working with smaller crews and using fewer trains than they would in the summer, but wait times were similar to summer a few years ago. It was my girlfriend's first trip and she thought it was just ok and wasn't impressed with much outside of Avatar, Dole Whips, and Space Mountain. We calculated that our trips to Isla Mujeres, Mexico City, San Antonio, and Nashville combined were cheaper than our Disney trip that included free flights. Crazy that out of Austin you can have a week long trip to London for about the same price as a week long trip to Disney.

The high cost, overcrowding, smothering weather, and distance between the parks and hotels is a lot of why we do Disneyland over Disneyworld. Yes, Disneyland is crowded too but it just feels more manageable given the small size of the parks. Plus, you can save significant money both on airfare and hotels. You can stay across the street and be in the park within 10-15 minutes total. I think Disneyland just suits us better. World is fun but it's such an endeavor. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, mdmost said:

The high cost, overcrowding, smothering weather, and distance between the parks and hotels is a lot of why we do Disneyland over Disneyworld. Yes, Disneyland is crowded too but it just feels more manageable given the small size of the parks. Plus, you can save significant money both on airfare and hotels. You can stay across the street and be in the park within 10-15 minutes total. I think Disneyland just suits us better. World is fun but it's such an endeavor. 

Plus it's much easier to escape in SoCal. I've always loved Disney, but after 3 or 4 days I'm ready to see something real instead of just a break for SeaWorld, Universal, or a tourist beach. 

16 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Cosign.

Of course, my wife will differ in her opinion, and I defer, since it's on a pedestal, undefeated, yada.

• 3 years later...