henrygandorf

On 2/19/2021 at 5:49 PM, Js1 said:

Interesting headlines to open. Some I caught:

Reagan barely won in 84

Pope John Paul assassinated 

Anwar Sadat survived the assassination attempt

Three Mile Island meltdown averted 

Prince Charles married Camilla in the 80s

John Lennon also escaped assassination and is shown hammering Reagan on a talk show.

*I think* I saw that there was no Jimmy Carter presidency.  Reagan won in 1976 and was re-elected in 1980.  The deep fakes with Lennon, Reagan, Gary Hart, et al look well done.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

John Lennon also escaped assassination and is shown hammering Reagan on a talk show.

*I think* I saw that there was no Jimmy Carter presidency.  Reagan won in 1976 and was re-elected in 1980.  The deep fakes with Lennon, Reagan, Gary Hart, et al look well done.

Carter was never president because Ted Kennedy beat Nixon in 1972.  Reagan destroyed Kennedy in 1976 and *barely* won re-election in 1980. 

I'm about 5 episodes through season 1 and feel like there is a bit of bait and switch.  the first episode had the soviets getting to the moon first and the pall that sends over us.  i thought it was great.  then the next several episodes are all basically sunny for us and had a rah rah america number one feel, amplified beyond reality with the country becoming all about gender and racial equality backlash-free in the 1970s.  i'm enjoying it, but i guess i felt like i was sold on it being darker based on episode 1.

I watched the first episode a year ago and ejected.  I came around again and am enjoying it.  I have to stop myself at times being nit-picky though.  The movement on the moon is difficult to simulate, and the lunar soil is very fine and the dust got everywhere, and they used magnets on the subsequent missions to help collect it.  But the biggest error was the 'vettes sporting BF Goodrich Radial T/As more than a decade before they were developed.  

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed.  Really liking the alternate history and the last few episodes have really turned it up.  Every time Tracy (who's hot) goes into that airlock to smoke I just know someone is going to accidentally shot her out the airlock.  

Ed's wife Karen is pretty hot too.  She looks a little like Meghan Markle.

Also a big fan of this show. My only regret is that we’ve been caught up for a few weeks so we have to wait for the new episodes to drop each Friday. Actually, I like the old schoolness of that as was the case with Mandolorian and Wandavision but, especially where the story has gone lately, I can’t wait to see where it keeps going.

• Hook 'Em 1

I binged both seasons the last couple of weeks after hearing some good things about the finale (a TV writer vaguely talking about how good it was before the review embargo was up) and I really enjoyed it and the season finale was a stomach punch. I do have concerns about season 3 which I guess I'll spoiler because the finale was so recently?

Spoiler

While going to Mars is going to be cool as hell we're jumping ahead another 12 years from the end of season 2 and I feel like it's going to marginalize most of the characters they've spent the most time on in seasons 1 and 2. Ed's not really compelling without the element of being a pilot in his life and he'll be in his 70s by then. Molly won't be able to play much of a role at that point because there's no way she won't be mostly blind if not completely blind. I don't know how much story there will be to tell with Dani at that point either. The big overarching theme with the season 1 holdovers in season 2 was how do they adjust to life not being pilots anymore and they all ended up back in space. That won't be the case in 1995. Obviously the Soviets trying to turn Margo will be a big story. I could see a scenario where Ellen is President. I'd be fine if Karen went away. While I think Shantel VanSanten is smoking hot, the character sucked and never had anything interesting to do.  Gordo was also my favorite character because I think Michael Dorman is an amazing actor (watch Patriot on Amazon Prime if you haven't seen it).

It would seem most of the heavy lifting for pilot stuff will be Aleida in Houston and Danny and Kelly as the pilots and I'm not sure how interesting that will be. I guess the guy whose name I never learned and Sally Ride will still maybe play a part, but I never found them all that compelling either. I'm really interested to see where the show goes, but I think the time jump may end up being a burden.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2021 at 12:21 PM, ATLLonghorn said:

I binged both seasons the last couple of weeks after hearing some good things about the finale (a TV writer vaguely talking about how good it was before the review embargo was up) and I really enjoyed it and the season finale was a stomach punch. I do have concerns about season 3 which I guess I'll spoiler because the finale was so recently?

Reveal hidden contents

While going to Mars is going to be cool as hell we're jumping ahead another 12 years from the end of season 2 and I feel like it's going to marginalize most of the characters they've spent the most time on in seasons 1 and 2. Ed's not really compelling without the element of being a pilot in his life and he'll be in his 70s by then. Molly won't be able to play much of a role at that point because there's no way she won't be mostly blind if not completely blind. I don't know how much story there will be to tell with Dani at that point either. The big overarching theme with the season 1 holdovers in season 2 was how do they adjust to life not being pilots anymore and they all ended up back in space. That won't be the case in 1995. Obviously the Soviets trying to turn Margo will be a big story. I could see a scenario where Ellen is President. I'd be fine if Karen went away. While I think Shantel VanSanten is smoking hot, the character sucked and never had anything interesting to do.  Gordo was also my favorite character because I think Michael Dorman is an amazing actor (watch Patriot on Amazon Prime if you haven't seen it).

It would seem most of the heavy lifting for pilot stuff will be Aleida in Houston and Danny and Kelly as the pilots and I'm not sure how interesting that will be. I guess the guy whose name I never learned and Sally Ride will still maybe play a part, but I never found them all that compelling either. I'm really interested to see where the show goes, but I think the time jump may end up being a burden.

I just finished season 2 and my first thought was season 3 will likely be a lot of new characters since everyone's story arc is pretty much closed or they will be too old in season 3. I am guessing there will be a Clancy thing where the children and protégé will continue the job of their parents and mentor in the new storyline.

Agree on Michael Dorman's acting abilities. He was the reason I watched this series after seeing Patriot which was awesome.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

After so many years of security briefings warning us of Soviet espionage and seeing them steal technology (*cough*Buran*cough*), I'm hoping Margo gets busted and goes to jail.

She was so ready to polish that Russian rocket. “I want you to kiss me now” in the most nerdy monotone seduction possible 😂

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DallasHorn26 said:

I thought it was a good episode. Dumb tech question, but how did they have an iPod? I know it’s fictional, but first iPod didn’t come out til early 00s. I guess other tech advances faster too.

They have video calls in home. Tech advanced very fast in this timeline when you’re dedicated to science 

Again - a little fast-and-loose with orbital mechanics, but the storyline was solid - and yeah, seeing the "rollover scene" was a little tough to watch.

Watch the NORKs get there first when Ed figures out a way to circle back to help the now-compromised Sojourner anyway... or they figure out a kum-ba-yah ending where Ed picks up everybody, turns around back to Mars, and all three of them (Helios, NASA, Soviets) step on the surface of Mars simultaneously ... 

/end season 3.

47 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

….all three of them (Helios, NASA, Soviets) step on the surface of Mars simultaneously ... 

/end season 3.

….all three of them (Helios, NASA, Soviets) step on the surface of Venus simultaneously and die instantly ….

/end season 4

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

Again - a little fast-and-loose with orbital mechanics, but the storyline was solid - and yeah, seeing the "rollover scene" was a little tough to watch.

Watch the NORKs get there first when Ed figures out a way to circle back to help the now-compromised Sojourner anyway... or they figure out a kum-ba-yah ending where Ed picks up everybody, turns around back to Mars, and all three of them (Helios, NASA, Soviets) step on the surface of Mars simultaneously ... 

/end season 3.

And Danny Stevens murders someone, probably Ed.

• Haha 2

I also noticed a (very tiny) side eye from the (way too young and far too quickly advanced-up-the-ranks) Flight Director (Aleida) towards Margo when she was making statements of absolute fact about the Russian nuclear engines... like "Bitch... how do you know that?"

I'm still holding out hope for seeing Margo frog-walked out of Building 1 for espionage.

On episode 3 of the newest season.  What the hell happened to the writing on this show? It is cheesy as fuck…several cringe worthy moments per episode, mainly the Helios dude. I don’t remember this in seasons 1-2.

Edited by htown85
Clarifying that there are several cringe worthy moments