“for all mankind” - streaming this fall on apple+

henrygandorf

On 7/9/2022 at 3:37 PM, mdmost said:

When Ed murders Danny when the latter eventually spills that he went MILF hunting with Karen, I'm not sure how you hide the body on Mars. 

Karen will think it’s noble that Ed told her about killing Danny and will fall back in love with Ed. She’ll make sure Danny gets a proper burial on Mars along with getting the same recognition his parents got for losing their lives in the line of space duty.

• 2 weeks later...

What in the hell has happened to this show? The first 2 seasons it was one of my favorite shows on TV and I was really looking forward to season 3. Now it’s not enjoyable to watch. Bad writing and feels like a soap opera.

Danny’s plot is absurd and should’ve never become a part of this season. And now Ed realizes he’s doped up on painkillers, but makes no effort to restrict access to the pills or to relieve Danny of any important duties. Aside from a public reprimand and standoff, Ed allows him continue his downward spiral to the detriment of the mission and crew. Walking Dead level stupid.

Jimmy’s plot is just as bad. He just walks around NASA and steals badges so his MAGA buddies can perpetrate pointless crimes? Why? Do the writers think that’s remotely believable and/or entertaining? It’s neither.

The Russians screw up their own spaceship and need rescuing by NASA, now living in the NASA ship on Mars and using NASA resources, but they refuse to share information or collaborate on projects? And NASA lets that fly?

As the Russians were emergently evacuating their ship, in a situation that killed multiple people, they took time to collect their vodka?

The gay rights subjects of the last 2 episodes feel heavily forced and entirely out of place, yet they’ve occupied half of the screen time.

What happened to this being a sci-fi show about space exploration? And why can’t Molly be a part of it instead of the worthless characters of Danny, Jimmy, Karen, and Dev?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

What in the hell has happened to this show? The first 2 seasons it was one of my favorite shows on TV and I was really looking forward to season 3. Now it’s not enjoyable to watch. Bad writing and feels like a soap opera.

Danny’s plot is absurd and should’ve never become a part of this season. And now Ed realizes he’s doped up on painkillers, but makes no effort to restrict access to the pills or to relieve Danny of any important duties. Aside from a public reprimand and standoff, Ed allows him continue his downward spiral to the detriment of the mission and crew. Walking Dead level stupid.

Jimmy’s plot is just as bad. He just walks around NASA and steals badges so his MAGA buddies can perpetrate pointless crimes? Why? Do the writers think that’s remotely believable and/or entertaining? It’s neither.

The Russians screw up their own spaceship and need rescuing by NASA, now living in the NASA ship on Mars and using NASA resources, but they refuse to share information or collaborate on projects? And NASA lets that fly?

As the Russians were emergently evacuating their ship, in a situation that killed multiple people, they took time to collect their vodka?

The gay rights subjects of the last 2 episodes feel heavily forced and entirely out of place, yet they’ve occupied half of the screen time.

What happened to this being a sci-fi show about space exploration? And why can’t Molly be a part of it instead of the worthless characters of Danny, Jimmy, Karen, and Dev?

Agree with all of this but especially the Danny stuff.   Trying to think when the series jumped the shark and it might be when Karen fucked Danny.    That was a stupid ass storyline to start and everything since has gone downhill.

Edited by d2o
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, d2o said:

Agree with all of this but especially the Danny stuff.   Trying to think when the series jumped the shark and it might be when Karen fucked Danny.    That was a stupid ass storyline to start and everything since has gone downhill.

Tend to agree with you there.  Still enjoy this show, but this Mars season hasn't delivered as much as the 2 previous ones.

20 minutes ago, Pablo said:

Tend to agree with you there.  Still enjoy this show, but this Mars season hasn't delivered as much as the 2 previous ones.

We all said... until Ed commits the first manslaughter on Mars. (God, I hope so)

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

I still enjoy the show but these comments are spot on. 

The Danny storyline has just gotten stupid now, the idea of letting the stoned guy stay on duty and not tossing his bunk for drugs is lunacy. It’s insulting the writers let that happen. 

And they are setting us up for a Martian baby it looks like. Maybe we will go all stranger in a strange land and only the baby survives. 

IMO they rushed the journey to Mars and now they’ve run out of reasonable plot conflicts so they’re making up lousy plots.

They could’ve done another season focused on Jamestown and the Moon and the conflict there as each country prepared for their Mars missions. Make the launch to Mars around episode 6-7, spend the last few episodes on the journey, then have the finale be the touchdown on Mars.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

IMO they rushed the journey to Mars and now they’ve run out of reasonable plot conflicts so they’re making up lousy plots.

They could’ve done another season focused on Jamestown and the Moon and the conflict there as each country prepared for their Mars missions. Make the launch to Mars around episode 6-7, spend the last few episodes on the journey, then have the finale be the touchdown on Mars.

I think they've moved too fast overall.   Skipping ten yrs at a time after each season was a bit much but even during season 2 they skipped ahead a few yrs.

How do you manage to have boring scenes amidst a desperate space rescue? Where is Ed Harris? Distracting, cornball convos about our fathers is not an option!

Margo finding Dev in the Mission Control gallery and his explanation of why he left the general hubbub would have been quite nice without the useless shit about their fathers. Only include that shit if it's really, really good. This was about as deep as the Mexican engineer having pictures of rocket ships in her room when she was child. "It's all I ever wanted to do." Repeat and repeat and repeat.

At first, I liked the inclusion of racial, sexual, and homosexual aspects to the story. Now that's derailing the main plot lines and addressed in the most maudlin, heavy-handed ways. If you can't do this stuff very well, then don't do it. Keep it as a note not the song.

There's so much family up on Mars that it feels more like Lost in Space than anything else. A terrible, lazy idea to have family up there, but it's become an American narrative cliche that any plot is better with an endangered child or spouse. It's just not true.

Lastly, Danny and his sulking brother are disasters. I wish they'd been wrapped in duct tape dying on the Moon instead of their parents. It was a very poor trade of leading characters. Not since Boston and Babe Ruth...

• Hook 'Em 1

I thought this was the best episode of the season because it featured more actual space stuff, but it was disappointing that the hab rescue mostly occurred off screen. I suspect that’s for budget reasons to cut down on CGI, which may be why there’s less space stuff this season. It’s hurting the show though.

Also weird about the Russian with the subdural hematoma and they were prepping for a craniotomy, then later he’s just dead. Seems like unnecessary buildup just to let him die off screen.

23 minutes ago, mdmost said:

More characters who were decent die, still Danny and his shitty brother remain. 

Imagine they kill off Danny and Jimmy a season after Gordo and Tracey.  The Stevens family be like

What The Fuck Did I Do GIFs | Tenor

Edited by Js1

Just kill off Ed so I can leave the show. They ditched the hard charging focused talented original actors and replaced them with whiny annoying petty people who are uninteresting at best. As if the dreams of Dev or the Mexican girl, or the aspergers lady is somehow different and more meaningful to those of Ed and the others.

I wanted to be a dinosaur when I was a kid. Shit happens.

On 7/27/2022 at 1:32 PM, hornbri said:

And they are setting us up for a Martian baby it looks like. Maybe we will go all stranger in a strange land and only the baby survives. 

I am quoting myself since episode 10 drops tonight and is titled “stranger in a strange land”.

7 minutes ago, hornbri said:

I am quoting myself since episode 10 drops tonight and is titled “stranger in a strange land”.

Could be about the baby. Could be about the Norkstronaut

Finale is 1 hour 22 minutes.  Hopefully we get a good part of how the Nork got on Mars and survived.

3 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I don't see any way to explain the Nork on Mars that won't be completely ridiculous.

Clearly he was crammed into a what we thought was a non-human rocket, on what was likely a one way trip. He also has somehow survived for ~6 months on mars with just whatever he brought with him?

2 hours ago, hornbri said:

Clearly he was crammed into a what we thought was a non-human rocket, on what was likely a one way trip. He also has somehow survived for ~6 months on mars with just whatever he brought with him?

Honestly am most looking forwarding to how this is explained. Was he supposed to land first and stay with/hitch a ride back with the Soviets? Did the Soviets know about this? Did his comms get knocked out on the way down so North Korea assumed him dead and said nothing about it? 

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Honestly am most looking forwarding to how this is explained. Was he supposed to land first and stay with/hitch a ride back with the Soviets? Did the Soviets know about this? Did his comms get knocked out on the way down so North Korea assumed him dead and said nothing about it? 

I am with you. Guesses on the cliff hanger for next season?

I am going to go with explosion at NASA HQ is the final scene. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, hornbri said:

I am with you. Guesses on the cliff hanger for next season?

I am going to go with explosion at NASA HQ is the final scene. 

That’s what I think too. Margo’s fate TBD. So potentially no time jump to open season 4, maybe midseason instead 

Fucking Jimmy

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, hornbri said:

fuck them if they try and explain it by saying he survived for the 7 month trip to Mars in a probe capsule with no life support system

• Hook 'Em 1

Lol - where to start…..

they strapped her to a rocket…lol 

6 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

fuck them if they try and explain it by saying he survived for the 7 month trip to Mars in a probe capsule with no life support system

Yeah - about that 

11 hours ago, hornbri said:

You can grow potatoes in your shit, Matt Damon out front shoulda told ya.

• Haha 1

Spoiler

I thought they handled the Nork pretty well - there were enough provisions for 2, but one died; if it was a success, guessing they both join the USSR crew to get back to the US, so enough provisions until the Soviets landed in 1994 (whoops).  Clear it had some life support systems, but it's not comfortable.  I'm sure just air and waste removal systems.  Months of eating canned food would suck - SUCKS TO SUCK, Danny.  No comms after landing, so North Korea assumed he died.  Soviets did not know about it, per Kuznetov, in case it failed.  But the whole thing was very Desmond from Lost. 

Writers must have been big old fans of The Martian with Kelly and Ed's flight to get Kelly to Phoenix.  Pretty cool visuals.  Wish we got a "Rocket Man" in the background when Kelly took off the MSAM and headed to Phoenix.

Crew has to wait 18 months for Sojourner 2 to pick them up, but NASA is all FUBAR now.  So either would be some sort of NASA/Helios/Roscosmos joint thing to rescue the whole crew, get Sojourner 2 up and running and where mission control is with Houston a mess. 

Fully expected Ed to die, not Karen.  RIP Karen.  Ed finally got his successful landing (sorta). 

Wasn't totally shocked Margo ended up in the USSR.  The way Sergei describes the evac as being so easy/smooth, makes me think she took Catiche's offer, Catiche told the USSR and they "let" the US take Sergei.  US had no idea Margo was going to defect to save her ass.  I assume she's presumed dead, but maybe resurfaces in 2003 (same year as Columbia, which would require NASA and Roscosmos to partner up again).

Molly - I wish we got more of her all season long.  True badass of the series (sorry Tracey). Newspaper said she was found in the rubble 7 days later, so a section must have collapsed with her in it.  Molly Cobb > Lyndon Johnson.  100% 9/11 red bandana guy parallels. 

I like that they kept Ellen's fate vague - did she resign? Did she survive impeachment? Would impeaching her over being a lesbian get the Democrats to save her ass in the Senate so she can run again in 1996?  Did the JSC bombing give her a "rally around the flag" effect and put a nail in the coffin of GOP efforts to gut NASA?  You don't rob a dying carcass. 

FUCKING HATE THE STEVENS - YOU KILLED SHANE, YOU KILLED KAREN, YOU KILLED THE ROBOT DOG.  Fuck them to hell.  Gordo should have pulled out, twice. 

Fucking Dev - he was never the "good" guy.  Always in it for Dev.  Karen coming in from the second floor and destroying his whole grand speech with "but what about money?"  The rich guy always wants the workers to take the sacrifice, and even that one annoying girl who was his biggest supporter was like "but you're rich..." They have to pay bills and feed families, taking on the whole risk of a big pay cut and the venture failing, while Dev has money to fall back on.  Karen girlbossed his fucking ass in front of his little fan club. 

If Aleida never goes to Bill, not sure Margo is ever in trouble.  But Margo was professional in the end - astronauts first, deal with the problem after.  I know people hate Margo, but I respect her for that.  She's looking at prison time, but it's not as important as saving Kelly and the baby. 

Spoiler

I think the time jump for season 4 should be in the mid-00s, with flashbacks to the combined crew on Mars in the 18 months they are waiting to be picked up.  

The headlines to open season 4 will have to cover: Ellen's political fate, `996 and 2000 election, no 9/11 (?), North Korea winning the Mars race, who leads Helios now that Karen is dead, hopefully Jimmy in prison for aiding and abetting terrorism, was Ellen able to save herself and NASA? 

Hate we have to wait for season 4. 

Edited by Js1

8 hours ago, Js1 said:
  Hide contents

I think the time jump for season 4 should be in the mid-00s, with flashbacks to the combined crew on Mars in the 18 months they are waiting to be picked up.  

I think this one is confirmed based on the date in the last title card. I guess they could jump twice . 

1 minute ago, hornbri said:

I think this one is confirmed based on the date in the last title card. I guess they could jump twice . 

They could. Season 2 ending was a jump to 1995. But season 3 started in 1992 and ended in 1995 and time jumped to 2003. So season 4 could start in 1995 and time jump or start in 2000 or so and flashback.

Season 1 ended in 75 and jumped to 83 at the end. Season 2 started and ended in 83. 

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

This show went full retard with the space baby billshit and never looked back.

Nah, that was an interesting sub-plot. A lot has been written on the ethics of pregnancy and Mars because people fuck and how do you address the potential for pregnancy. Forced temporary sterilizations and birth control? Mandatory abortions? It's a real dilemma when it comes to long term space travel.