“for all mankind” - streaming this fall on apple+

henrygandorf

13 hours ago, F250 said:

Nah, that was an interesting sub-plot. A lot has been written on the ethics of pregnancy and Mars because people fuck and how do you address the potential for pregnancy. Forced temporary sterilizations and birth control? Mandatory abortions? It's a real dilemma when it comes to long term space travel.

I’m not sure how a baby gestated and born on Mars, given Mars’ gravity, would survive the trip to Earth, not to mention Earth’s gravity.

Oh my post disappeared. 

Re: not burning up on exit, Mar’s basically has no atmosphere and as you go up, the “atmosphere” is thinner so you encounter less friction when you hit your max speeds at the top. As you re-enter, you hit your max speeds as you get lower and encounter thicker air and more friction 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

Spoiler

Clearly the NASA bombing was based on the Oklahoma City bombing in our timeline.  Both occurred in spring 1995 and the shots from the show looked pretty much like the Oklahoma City pictures.  And now they are leaping to 2003, which someone mentioned was the year of the Columbia disaster.  I would expect something Columbia-ish to happen in Season 4.

Also it looked like there was a ton of pollution in the 2003 Margo shot from Russia.  Maybe that's just Russia being Russia, or maybe something else is amiss worldwide.

Thinking back to season 1 ep 3, "Nixon's Women", there were five female astronaut candidates remaining when they started flying the LEM simulator.  One died flying the simulator, one died saving the moon base, one died saving people after the bombing, one was the first American on Mars and one was elected president.

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I’m not sure how a baby gestated and born on Mars, given Mars’ gravity, would survive the trip to Earth, not to mention Earth’s gravity.

bobbie-draper-the-expanse.gif

Kid would probably be lucky to have the body of a Belter.

I mostly enjoyed the finale. It focused more on the space stuff which is the entire reason to watch this show.

Danny and Jimmy were horrible to watch the entire season and their respective storylines were dragging the show down. We got less of that this episode which was a great thing.

The North Korean backstory was interesting to me, and agreed with whoever referenced Desmond from LOST because that’s exactly what I thought of.

Molly needed more screen time all season. With the departure of Margot, they should’ve made Molly a surviving hero from the bombing and let her go on to lead NASA. She’s a badass and the show needs her type of character.

I still liked Margot throughout this season. She gets criticism for being a traitor, but my interpretation is that she and Sergei collaborated over many years for the sake of advancing human space exploration, regardless of citizenship status or political lines. Her commitment was to that cause and she served it well. I think she could’ve died in this episode, but I guess they still plan to use her in future seasons.

Dev and Karen and Helios sucked. Obviously meant to represent Elon and SpaceX and private space exploration, but they are the most boring group of characters. Karen is obviously gone, hopefully Dev and the rest are too.

I was pretty frustrated with this show at the middle of this season mostly due to the Stevens brothers’ storylines, but they did just enough at the end to win me back and I’ll be looking forward to season 4.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Danny and Jimmy were horrible to watch the entire season and their respective storylines were dragging the show down. We got less of that this episode which was a great thing.

I still liked Margot throughout this season. She gets criticism for being a traitor, but my interpretation is that she and Sergei collaborated over many years for the sake of advancing human space exploration, regardless of citizenship status or political lines. Her commitment was to that cause and she served it well. I think she could’ve died in this episode, but I guess they still plan to use her in future seasons.

I was pretty frustrated with this show at the middle of this season mostly due to the Stevens brothers’ storylines, but they did just enough at the end to win me back and I’ll be looking forward to season 4.

Same re: Margo.  She didn't give a fuck about the political shit, she was more about advancing space exploration regardless of means.  

The Stevens brother stuff was just so awful. 

Also Wrenn Schmidt was Kate in The Americans - the Jennings' handler after Claudia in season 2. 

25 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Margo started giving them information to advance spa e travel, but once she got caught in the honey trap they sucked her dry and I think she knew she was fucking up

Oh she did.  Her original intent was space travel.  Once they caught her, she should have come clean.  But I still stand by that she was pretty professional until the end, as she was dealing with crisis after crisis (the rescue, the landing, the earthquake, the baby) all with a cloud of investigation.  The astronauts were still priority #1.  She didn't even get mad at Aleida. 

I do hope season 4 features a lot of seeing this from the USSR side through her eyes. 

So I guess I never thought of it being a question but are there the same heat issues breaking out of an atmosphere as there are coming into one?

There is friction (heat) which is present in both situations. When exiting a planet you are in the most dense atmosphere, starting from 0 velocity. Your flight path (and shape) is intended to minimize the friction/drag on your vehicle. When re-entry you are starting out at orbital velocity and entering in a low density medium, but the flight path (and shape) here is designed to use the drag to slow down the vehicle while not being so sudden as to kill the crew.

Weight is a critical component of every space craft. Covering an entire ship with heat shields allows for more options on flight path but increases the weight. Flipping the object upside down for one path or another would require some Slave I type of design and more weight.

13 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

Can’t have a baby on mars buuuuuutttttwe can launch you off of a fucking spaceship into space in nothing but a spacesuit and hope a different fucking spaceship catches you perfectly in a doorway whilst traveling at a speed in the thousands of miles per hour.

This was my thought too.   Strapping her to the top of a rocket and launching her into orbit wasn't too much.   All these shows/movies you have to suspend some belief but man that was quite a bit

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After I felt disinterested in a season 2 of man in the high tower, I ignored this one as likely a similar issue. But I saw that the new season was coming out and I needed something to watch so I started it. Ended up churning through it in about 3 weeks to be caught up.  Definitely kept my attention. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, MrBig said:

I really dislike the new guy Miles. I know he’s supposed to be the blue collar guy who was wronged by Helios, but he just comes across as a crybaby complainer who didn’t read the fine print in his contract. 

Feels like they are setting up for a worker class revolution. Showing the two different lives of them compared to the astronauts. 

I’ve noticed over the seasons that stuff that comes loose in space has a knack for finding the small amount of space occupied by astronauts on EVA. 
whether it’s a shuttle, a hotel, or an asteroid tow hitch. 

41 minutes ago, Js1 said:

100% setting up a worker revolution. It’s going to be because Ed keeps blowing them off. 

It’s going to be a season of the worker revolution paralleled with the story of Kelly & Aleida being mavericks outside of the Helios/NASA system. I have a few theories about where their funding is coming from and how Ed and Danielle have been affected by the events of the S3 finale but I don’t want to spoil things for people who aren’t caught up yet.

Am I the only one that finds this season fairly boring? I’m surprised to see it’s at 100% on RT.

There’s not enough actual space stuff. It’s become a bit of a soap opera that exists in an alternate timeline where humans live on Mars, but the actual part about Mars or any space travel/exploration is pretty far in the background.

Miles is incredibly boring to me and I don’t think the actor is very good. His scenes feel like a cheesy Netflix or Hallmark movie and drag the show down.

I miss characters like Gordo, Tracy, and Molly, and I miss the tension of USA vs. Russia on the moon.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2023 at 9:27 PM, wild_turkey said:

Am I the only one that finds this season fairly boring? I’m surprised to see it’s at 100% on RT.

There’s not enough actual space stuff. It’s become a bit of a soap opera that exists in an alternate timeline where humans live on Mars, but the actual part about Mars or any space travel/exploration is pretty far in the background.

Miles is incredibly boring to me and I don’t think the actor is very good. His scenes feel like a cheesy Netflix or Hallmark movie and drag the show down.

I miss characters like Gordo, Tracy, and Molly, and I miss the tension of USA vs. Russia on the moon.

The show is falling apart, and I'm seriously losing interest. Each episode just drags.

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The best part was someone finally calling Ed on his fucking shit. He does think he’s god’s gift to the Cosmos. Fuck that guy 

Aleida seeing Margo in the USSR is going to be interesting 

Let's hope we get some tension there. Maybe Ed will sabotage fetching the iridium asteroid too. I don't know. So much that's going on just seems to be people being petty.

I guess reaching Mars has stifled the writers' ability to come up with more epic scenarios. Now that the alternative timeline has kind of been played out (even though the present in the show is still 20 years in our past, they seem to lack a vision of where things should go, or they'd decided to really slow things down to squeeze out another couple of seasons.

I’m curious in the energy it would take to  make an asteroid of that mass change course and velocity to get pulled into Martian orbit but I’m sure they’ll never mention this. 

I also feel like the show didn’t do anything to present the fact that the value of iridium would drop precipitously if it suddenly was abundantly available. 

I am beyond tired of Ed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I also feel like the show didn’t do anything to present the fact that the value of iridium would drop precipitously if it suddenly was abundantly available. 

Wouldn't matter whether the value dropped or not - it's about the supply being abundantly available and how that could shake up a lot of industries, in a positive way.  But if the value dropped a bit, it would allow more uses/usage, so win-win.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wouldn't matter whether the value dropped or not - it's about the supply being abundantly available and how that could shake up a lot of industries, in a positive way.  But if the value dropped a bit, it would allow more uses/usage, so win-win.

Yeah they said it could spur a second technological boom 

7 hours ago, bolverk said:

I guess reaching Mars has stifled the writers' ability to come up with more epic scenarios. Now that the alternative timeline has kind of been played out (even though the present in the show is still 20 years in our past, they seem to lack a vision of where things should go, or they'd decided to really slow things down to squeeze out another couple of seasons.

Netflix would have killed it after they reached Mars.

They are kind of in a corner in terms of technology has to remain extremely realistic/recognizable.

Fuck, they should just end it (or ended it with them getting to Mars and that's it), and then have him adapt Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy.  That was an awesome series, and covered a few centuries, and had some really interesting characters.

Edited by atomheartbevo

Agreed. I think they rushed the plot to Mars too quickly in season 3. They probably could’ve developed more U.S. vs Russia tension on the moon for another season and kept it interesting, then save the Mars landing for season 4.

Once you put humans on Mars, there’s not much left unless they have them colonize one of Jupiter’s moons or possibly do an even longer time jump and do interstellar travel with an entirely new cast.

Maybe when they were writing season 3, they didn’t know if season 4 would be guaranteed, so they wanted to get the Mars stuff in while they could. And maybe actors’ contracts prevent jumping too far and scrapping characters like Ed, Danielle, and Margo.
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 12/15/2023 at 4:53 PM, MrBig said:

This episode was pretty good for moving the story along. I was not expecting things to progress this way. I can’t shake how much I hate Miles no matter what he does.

Ed’s heel turn to leading the worker revolution out of spite is something 

• 2 weeks later...