Wonder Woman 1984 -- Coming in 2020

Patrick Bateman

The big problem with this movie is the story is stupid. I could even forgive the awful CGI lasso if the story was good. And the difference between this and the first movie is that Patty Jenkins wrote this one, so I'm not sure it's fair to blame this on Zack Snyder or the studio.

And despite how beautiful Gal Gadot is, the Diana character is just boring. They need to punch up her role the way Marvel did with Thor. 

• Hook 'Em 4

40 minutes ago, smwhorn said:

Dude.

It's called the suspension of disbelief.  If you can't suspend your disbelief for all of these very minor plot holes, how can you ever enjoy a movie? 

Why is it 1000% easier to do that with say Deadpool or Wolverine and not anyone other than Supe and Bats on sporadic occasions? DC's 2 hottest characters on screen lately have been Shazam and Harley Quinn in stand alone films.

• Hook 'Em 1

Why is it 1000% easier to do that with say Deadpool or Wolverine and not anyone other than Supe and Bats on sporadic occasions? DC's 2 hottest characters on screen lately have been Shazam and Harley Quinn in stand alone films.
Because it's not lazy when they do it. If your audience is being fed suspension of disbelief material, it has to be more than "just because." It's a fine line to walk and only the Batman movies have seemed to get it right in the DC movies.
  • Hook 'Em 1

First one was MUCH better.

This one had a bad story, and some very unbelievable things.

Best part was Chris Pine being Chris Pine(it's no surprise they figured out a way to bring him back) And Pedro Pascal having an absolute blast, hamming it up, and turning it up to 11.

The first WW was really really good...until the final 20-25 minutes.  Just short of making a great Super Hero Film. This wasn't even close.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, achooloco said:

He had already used it to enhance his dad’s “greatness”. More of a question is how did pascal’s sudden generosity finally control the monkey paw and allow him to grant cheetah her second wish with no cost?

can’t believe that anyone hasn’t mentioned that pascal is Chilean with an off brand trump coif and his kid looked Asian as fuck (my guess was Filipino). Every latino (bro, parents, gf, multiple friends) I saw it with said the same thing and the fact they never explained how the kid was adopted (no way that is pascal’s character’s kid) kept knocking us out of the movie mindset. Terrible fucking flick with plot holes all around. Abysmal really. And I loved the first one.

Cheetah’s first wish was using the stone itself. Her second wish was granted by Maxwell. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I thought the first one sucked, and sounds like I dodged a bullet not watching this Christmas night.  I assume WW was created to try to get girls to like comics, but was it a legit comic back in the day, or was it a joke to the comic fan?

I like to think that WW was created in the 40s with some kind of amazing foresight, in order to eventually get Lynda Carter into a skimpy outfit on TV, even though she was born 10 years after WW was created.

5 hours ago, RPM said:

That's because Shazam is really just an extension of the Chuck TV show.  It's what Chuck evolved into.

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

Confusingly bad movie, definitely not a patch on the first one.

Of all the issues, the shoddy CGI during the truck chase in Egypt stood out the most. During one scene when she and the kids tumble to the ground, the kids literally look like dolls. It's so glaringly bad.

Despite my complaining, I dont have a problem with comic-based movies per se.  They give more latitude in crafting the stories - which is why we really watch movies.  I can believe there's an eccentric billionaire who wears a bat outfit after a traumatic experience, and another who makes mech armors.

But unfortunately they also give latitude to nonstop nonsensical computer-generated action sequences - which is the laziest and least interesting part of the movies.  A bunch of characters doing quadruple salchows in outerspace with zero consequences....mmmm so interesting. 

More Iron Man 1.  Less Iron Man 3. 

• Like 1

I'm half way through this and have so many questions.  Fortunately, the movie is so awful, I don't give a shit what the answer is for every question but one.  Can someone explain to me how they brought back Chris Pine?  Was it wish related?  Was the poor bastard whose body was borrowed just a random dude or did he have some involvement in the story?  

I'm half way through this and have so many questions.  Fortunately, the movie is so awful, I don't give a shit what the answer is for every question but one.  Can someone explain to me how they brought back Chris Pine?  Was it wish related?  Was the poor bastard whose body was borrowed just a random dude or did he have some involvement in the story?  

It was wish-related, though she didn’t say it out loud.

Random dude. Similar to a “Heaven Can Wait” scenario.

I didn't hate it because I went into it thinking it wouldn't be great. I liked the first one until the end when it was a typical DC CGI fest. I think the one aspect I enjoyed was the mass chaos Lord created with his wish granting. The entire premise was silly but I don't go into DC movies expecting to be wowed by the storyline. I'm certainly glad it was available on HBO Max and that I didn't have to shell out $80 at Alamo to pay for all of us to go see it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

Was the poor bastard whose body was borrowed just a random dude or did he have some involvement in the story?  

For the after-credits scene, they should've shown him getting arrested by a squad of FBI agents for stealing that fighter jet, while he has no idea what's going on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/collider.com/wonder-woman-1984-steve-trevor-return-explained/amp/

Read this explanation and laugh while doing so.

6 minutes ago, Agent 13 said:

"Instead of reacting with immediate horror at the thought of wearing another person's skin like a sock puppet, Diana and Steve—these two uber-virtuous examples of righteousness and good—just sort of dunk on this random, nameless man's apartment and move on, content that Steve's presence means obliterating someone else from existence."

Lulz. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I thought the most implausible thing in the movie was at the end when she compliments the dude's outfit and they talk for a bit and kinda flirt yet he doesn't say "hi, my name is _____" or try to get her number. 

He probably had enough to worry about with a wicked case of amnesia, him losing his job, and the mysterious flare up in his crotch to worry about dating at the moment.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

This movie felt alot like the first Antman, two competing visions that wound up a discombobulated tonal shifting mess.

Wait what? Ant Man one, while not The Winter Soldier, was still very well done.  Much better than 2(as most of these movies seem to be...except Winter Soldier)

• Hook 'Em 1

Everyone do yourself a favor and watch this Wonder Woman movie. It's 5x better(Gal or no Gal) and will wash the shitty taste of '84 out of your mouth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Woman_(2009_film)

Said it before and will say it again. The DC animated movies are better than the live action crap. 

Edited by Brothahorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

people still eat Star Wars up as long as ZOMG LUKE SKYWALKER WITH HIS GREEN LIGHTSABER!!!!! is in it
why would Disney stop any of the shit that people say they hate, when the fan base has demonstrated there's nothing they won't tolerate as long as they get to snack on sweet sweet memberberries?
I probably need to add a PS, I'm not saying The Mandalorian is bad, not good, meh, any of that. I haven't watched it, I have no opinion about it either way. All I see from my limited exposure to it is squeeing over what amounts to different levels of fan service. 

I saw the originals as a kid. I wanted to see Luke more. Instead a decade later I got Aniken. Then many years later I get grumpy whiney old Luke then dead Luke. As a mild fan, I gave up and then got a small chance to see him in his prime on a show that is well done and consistent with the OT character arc. So yeah it was fun.
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Everyone do yourself a favor and watch this Wonder Woman movie. It's 5x better(Gal or no Gal) and will wash the shitty taste of '84 out of your mouth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Woman_(2009_film)

Said it before and will say it again. The DC animated movies are better than the live action crap. 

You're not the only one saying that. I think I have EVERY single Animated movie either on DVD, Blu Ray or digital by this point.

• Hook 'Em 1

Watched this last night with the family, and the best I can say is, the kids enjoyed it.

Beyond that there are so many problems.  Bad plot, lack of cohesive vision, bad CGI, weird and unnecessary flying wonder woman.  Just a mess.

Gal is still hot though, so that was nice.

I tried to put this on in the background yesterday. Made it about 10 minutes and realized it wasn’t worthy of being on in the background. That’s pretty damn bad.

Not that I had high expectations or anything, but the first one was alright and there haven’t been any good new movies lately, so I was hoping it would at least be a decent popcorn flick. That was clearly too much to ask.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
DC is such a mess. I'm sure James Gunn will do some good things but I'm just not sure. 

Gadot is a solid WW. Making her a female Superman was a mistake. She hardly needs a bracelet and lasso if she is made of steel and can survive machine gun turrets and cannons, while jumping 100 yards in the air.

Think they should have made her more Jason Bourne. Even Captain America was unnecessarily elevated. The best scenes are always hand to hand fight scenes with worthy villains or roughing up assholes.

I guess that bores the CGI guys and makes it more difficult for writing teams
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Gadot is a solid WW. Making her a female Superman was a mistake. She hardly needs a bracelet and lasso if she is made of steel and can survive machine gun turrets and cannons, while jumping 100 yards in the air.

Think they should have made her more Jason Bourne. Even Captain America was unnecessarily elevated. The best scenes are always hand to hand fight scenes with worthy villains or roughing up assholes.

GIF by Desus & Mero

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

So the mistake was making Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3