2019 Women's World Cup - Do It Back to Back

ztejas

I'm very odd.  I love soccer.  I used to coach a girls high school soccer team in TN.  One year I drove to Lexington and back (Knoxville) to see UT play KY in soccer.  I like women's soccer.

All that being said, I could give two shits about the women's world cup.  Between Hope Solo, the incessant whining, the politics, etc.. I'm out.  

I won't get into any of the specifics because I don't want to CR the thread.  

Edited by Knoxtnhorn
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I'm very odd.  I love soccer.  I used to coach a girls high school soccer team in TN.  One year I drove to Lexington and back (Knoxville) to see UT play KY in soccer.  I like women's soccer.

All that being said, I could give two shits about the women's world cup.  Between Hope Solo, the incessant whining, the politics, etc.. I'm out.  

I won't get into any of the specifics because I don't want to CR the thread.  

Eh. I could give two shits about whatever politics surround it but noted. 

I think it's a sport where the entertainment value isn't a huge dropoff between mens and womens (but sounds like you don't disagree) - and there are more than a few cuties out there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

It's ridiculous that the US and France will likely meet in the quarterfinals. 

"Random" draw and all...not that I think for a second FIFA doesn't cheat every aspect of their daily operations in order to make money...

Still watch the game with my "little" girl. Not to mention, I love the "World Cup" concept and format.

Great start by France. I am most interested to see if Spain can make a step forward this year. Of course, want our ladies to repeat but the field looks daunting.

On 6/7/2019 at 3:52 PM, alincoln said:

It's ridiculous that the US and France will likely meet in the quarterfinals. 

welp, kind of like France/Argentina last summer in the round of 16, there is always going to be power matchups "before" everyone expects them to occur.  que sera.

On 6/9/2019 at 10:34 AM, Hagbard Celine said:

welp, kind of like France/Argentina last summer in the round of 16, there is always going to be power matchups "before" everyone expects them to occur.  que sera.

Just want to remind everyone that even though France blew out Argentina in our memories, Argentina was a young winger stepping in front of a teammate with a better angle away from tying that thing on the last play of the match. Even though France just bossed Argentina, remove one over-ambitious effort by a kid and that match goes to OT.

...and speaking of Argentina...

Mís bitches argentinas queridas are tied with 2015 Runner-ups Japan (0-0) at halftime. Observations:

1) The Argentine chicas aren't as ghetto as I expected. 
-All Argentine girls with a modicum of income up until just below the level of money that plays tennis (and well below the polo playing income bracket) play FIELD HOCKEY in Argentina. 
-If you play something other than Field Hockey (tennis or polo), you're probably seen as a lesbian... and lesbians tend to remain closeted until at least after high school. (Though I have a fond memory of walking home at 3am and seeing two chicas making out agains the side of a building about 100 meters from the door to my building.)
-Some of the Argie chicas are actually fairly cute.

2) The Argentine squad warmed up playing US college teams + Uruguay (which is a country of 3 million and I didn't know that women even played sports in that country).
-Japan warmed up against the USA, France... about half of the Top 10 Women's teams in the world.

3) The graphic for the sky blue lines on the Argentine jersey are so faint that it is almost impossible to tell that they aren't wearing ALL WHITE jerseys.
-I wonder if the football federation in Argentina wanted to make the blue lines so difficult to see because as of yet, Argentina doesn't really have a women's development program and they didn't want horrific losses to be associated with the classic albiceleste of the men's squad.

4) Argentina plays England next and should get blown out.
-Especially since the Falklands War, there is insane animosity between the Argentine population and England. (Not that England thinks about Argentina much.)
-The "Hand of God" goal came in the first match between Argentina & England since the conclusion of the Falklands War & England were among the favorites to win the cup in 1986.
-England should crush Argentina and it will be a downer for Argentines who don't even care about women's sports.

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Just want to remind everyone that even though France blew out Argentina in our memories, Argentina was a young winger stepping in front of a teammate with a better angle away from tying that thing on the last play of the match. Even though France just bossed Argentina, remove one over-ambitious effort by a kid and that match goes to OT.

...and speaking of Argentina...

Mís bitches argentinas queridas are tied with 2015 Runner-ups Japan (0-0) at halftime. Observations:

1) The Argentine chicas aren't as ghetto as I expected. 
-All Argentine girls with a modicum of income up until just below the level of money that plays tennis (and well below the polo playing income bracket) play FIELD HOCKEY in Argentina. 
-If you play something other than Field Hockey (tennis or polo), you're probably seen as a lesbian... and lesbians tend to remain closeted until at least after high school. (Though I have a fond memory of walking home at 3am and seeing two chicas making out agains the side of a building about 100 meters from the door to my building.)
-Some of the Argie chicas are actually fairly cute.

2) The Argentine squad warmed up playing US college teams + Uruguay (which is a country of 3 million and I didn't know that women even played sports in that country).
-Japan warmed up against the USA, France... about half of the Top 10 Women's teams in the world.

3) The graphic for the sky blue lines on the Argentine jersey are so faint that it is almost impossible to tell that they aren't wearing ALL WHITE jerseys.
-I wonder if the football federation in Argentina wanted to make the blue lines so difficult to see because as of yet, Argentina doesn't really have a women's development program and they didn't want horrific losses to be associated with the classic albiceleste of the men's squad.

4) Argentina plays England next and should get blown out.
-Especially since the Falklands War, there is insane animosity between the Argentine population and England. (Not that England thinks about Argentina much.)
-The "Hand of God" goal came in the first match between Argentina & England since the conclusion of the Falklands War & England were among the favorites to win the cup in 1986.
-England should crush Argentina and it will be a downer for Argentines who don't even care about women's sports.

Amazing how England struggles to avoid nations they've historically wronged regardless of what group they land in. 

57 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Amazing how England struggles to avoid nations they've historically wronged regardless of what group they land in. 

They just have a head start on the USA. And the USA has done a better job of keeping down the countries that we''ve historically wronged, but then again, we've been at it for such a comparatively short amount of time that the countries are still feeling the effects.

That being said, having studied the history of Argentina for my tours, The Falklands issue is purely a shiny object that is used to distract the masses. [/end CR post]

Back to soccer...

Want to point out that Argentina's #6 lost half of an eye-tooth when a Japanese player smashed her in the mouth with her elbow.

Hard fought 1st FIFA Women's World Cup point ever for Las Chicas Argentinas in this match.

They should be exhausted and soundly defeated by the English in their next match, but have a shot at another point or even more (one can dream) against Scotland in the last match of their group.

**Also, in something absolutely out of character for an Argentine fútbol team, the Argentine side did NOT get even one yellow card!!**

...Though somewhat in character, exaggeration did result in drawing 3 yellow cards out of the ref's pocket for Japan... though I don't believe that the elbow to the mouth of #6 was one of them.

I think that if I played any sport at a high level these days, I'd wear a mouth guard. Just because these are women playing, doesn't mean that you're not going to get smashed in the mouth. (Though I did get my veneers in Argentina and they look amazingly like real teeth, not like Hollywood veneers. And I got 6 for $2,000, back in 2013/14 thanks to the street rate for the US Dollar at that time vs about $2,000/tooth from a good dentist in the USA.)

9 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

They just have a head start on the USA. And the USA has done a better job of keeping down the countries that we''ve historically wronged

Thank God Guatemala isn't in this Gold Cup or the US would be screwed. The women better watch out for some revenge for Pinochet. 

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not going to go CR but on the politics of this US Women's squad:

The USSF is a fucking clown show right now. Our men's team is an embarrassment. I can't say I like some of the attitudes or drama that our women are adding to the situation, because at the end of the day it's the world cup and you go play for your country - especially a country where we are ALL about just as privileged as any other in the world - but I also understand this is kind of their only platform and the only women's soccer event that ever garners attention. 

When it comes to the game on the pitch these are a bunch of badasses and they always have been. We are looking for our 4th World Cup (only Germany has multiple wins with 2) and to go back to back. They are our best ambassadors for the game of soccer that the United States exports and have been for 20 years.  

I understand that some can't separate the politics from the sport but I'm going to cheer for them regardless. I hope we win every game by 5 goals even if controversy and political drama continue to be drummed up the way they have been. If the media wants to take it and run with it and blow things out of proportion like they always do that's fine - it's not going to change my allegiance or interest in watching us play (and hopefully win) every game. 

Anyway - in case anyone wanted my 2 cents on things. 

Let's go kick some ass, ladies. 

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Not going to go CR but on the politics of this US Women's squad:

The USSF is a fucking clown show right now. Our men's team is an embarrassment. I can't say I like some of the attitudes or drama that our women are adding to the situation, because at the end of the day it's the world cup and you go play for your country - especially a country where we are ALL about just as privileged as any other in the world - but I also understand this is kind of their only platform and the only women's soccer event that ever garners attention. 

When it comes to the game on the pitch these are a bunch of badasses and they always have been. We are looking for our 4th World Cup (only Germany has multiple wins with 2) and to go back to back. They are our best ambassadors for the game of soccer that the United States exports and have been for 20 years.  

I understand that some can't separate the politics from the sport but I'm going to cheer for them regardless. I hope we win every game by 5 goals even if controversy and political drama continue to be drummed up the way they have been. If the media wants to take it and run with it and blow things out of proportion like they always do that's fine - it's not going to change my allegiance or interest in watching us play (and hopefully win) every game. 

Anyway - in case anyone wanted my 2 cents on things. 

Let's go kick some ass, ladies. 

30 years

5 minutes ago, JNip said:

Predict which goal they won't celebrate. I am going with the fourth. 

I hope that they don't slow it down so I am predicting USA 11-0 Thailand

The line was US by 5. Imagine putting money on a soccer team winning by 5 goals in a World Cup. 

2 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

lavelle is pretty fuckin awesome too. this whole squad is fuckin loaded.

It's been loaded for 30 years. Amazing we only have 3 tbh. 

(I get what you mean though, this year especially)

Edited by ztejas

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

It's been loaded for 30 years. Amazing we only have 3 tbh. 

absolutely, but not ever as loaded as this team is in 2019. 30 years ago our ladies were just better athletes with a huge head start. This team as so much technical skill.

Every time I see USA soccer, I feel like they are robots. Their next move is exactly what they have to do next. Not saying that it's bad of course, I just wish that there was a player who would do a bunch of awesome things. Obviously, 11 players synchronized to the beat of the same song isn't the bad. Haha

There was just a play where Alex Morgan grabbed the ball around the pk spot with her back against the goal and with just one defender behind her. When she received the ball, she dropped it to the teammate she was facing instead of creating her own space to shoot. She could've easily beaten the defender but chose to pass instead.

Just an observation.

Edited by JNip