2019 Women's World Cup - Do It Back to Back

ztejas

55 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Go rewatch the 2011 final. This Dutch team is better than Japan, and the US is worse than in 2011. The US should win 2-0 or 3-1 but Holland has a couple of women who can change the game.

I disagree that we are worse. And Japan in 2011 had everything to play for in the wake of a national tragedy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shnsajax said:

The roster is deeper but the top tier talent is not better. Last four US goals have been headers of a cross and penalties. Now the US isn’t playing up to potential either but they haven’t since group play.

None of the last 4 goals have been penalties

France

1st Goal-directly in off the free kick

2nd Goal-shot from the center of the box off a counter attack

England

1st Goal-Press Header

2nd Goal-Morgan Header (which was more of a perfectly lofted pass than a cross)

None of the last 4 goals have been penalties
France
1st Goal-directly in off the free kick
2nd Goal-shot from the center of the box off a counter attack
England
1st Goal-Press Header
2nd Goal-Morgan Header (which was more of a perfectly lofted pass than a cross)

This is why I shouldn’t day drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, shnsajax said:

It’s pretty lame the final is Lyon and not Paris.

It’s gotta be because the Lyon women’s club team is the most dominant in Europe.  13 straight league titles and 4 straight champions league titles. Only reason I can think of. This is their reward for supporting the women’s game. 

Otherwise, should be in Paris.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

It’s gotta be because the Lyon women’s club team is the most dominant in Europe.  13 straight league titles and 4 straight champions league titles. Only reason I can think of. This is their reward for supporting the women’s game. 

Otherwise, should be in Paris.

I’m guessing that Lyon’s stadium is smaller than Stade de France (sp?). I’m thinking that if France didn’t make the final, they didn’t want the optics of a Final with several empty seats. 

As it turned out the Final 8 were 7 Euro teams that were either in Northern Europe, touched France, and/or were France, plus the Ugly Americans. Japan vs Sweden in Paris would have had a half full stadium of raucous fans. 

And then there is the nod to Lyon. 

ON ANOTHER NOTE:

Are bars across the USA going to be open for the game?

Blue Laws in a lot of flyover-states will mean that alcohol can’t be served until well after the trophy presentation. 

ON ANOTHER NOTE:
Are bars across the USA going to be open for the game?
Blue Laws in a lot of flyover-states will mean that alcohol can’t be served until well after the trophy presentation. 

I'm vacationing in Portland Maine right now and they have an Irish Pub that is part of a small chain (8 locations Nationwide) that is open Sunday.

I think plenty of places will open up for it. The one time I'm happy in the Eastern Time zone. 11am isn't that early and a lot of places will have Sunday brunch.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Lyon is awesome, I like it a lot better than Paris.  

I'm guessing that my tourism preferences were not at the top of their mind when they made this decision, but were I attending this tournament I'd be quite happy to spend that time in Lyon rather than Paris.

• Like 1

I don't see the Dutch beating our ladies. They have excellent ball movement and passing, but unless we make big mistakes on defense, I'm not too worried. Beginning to think Rose Lavelle might be our best overall player. She's a force. 
It depends. She undoubtedly brings a skill level on the ball in the center of the pitch nobody else has. She's also been incredibly inconsistent in the tournament. If she's at her best Sunday no way the Dutch win. It's also concerning she's nursing a hamstring injury because she's had hamstring issues in the past.

3 hours ago, ATLLonghorn said:

It depends. She undoubtedly brings a skill level on the ball in the center of the pitch nobody else has. She's also been incredibly inconsistent in the tournament. If she's at her best Sunday no way the Dutch win. It's also concerning she's nursing a hamstring injury because she's had hamstring issues in the past.

Agree, but when she's on, she has a complete game. 

Aslanni, the hot Kosovar/Swede injured at the very end of the game and stretchered off, is okay:

A report from SVT Sport (translated to English) gave the statement via Swedish national team doctor Houman Ebrahimi. “After the match we have been in hospital and performed CT (computer tomography) and MRI (magnetic resonance imaging). The preliminary defense does not show any signs of more serious damage,” Ebrahimi said.

Asllani was active on her official Instagram on Wednesday evening, posting a series of photos from the World Cup. The second photo shows her laying on the pitch and grasping her neck. She captioned the series with a broken heart emoji, most likely due to her injury and team’s loss.

9 hours ago, ATLLonghorn said:

I'm vacationing in Portland Maine right now and they have an Irish Pub that is part of a small chain (8 locations Nationwide) that is open Sunday.

I think plenty of places will open up for it. The one time I'm happy in the Eastern Time zone. 11am isn't that early and a lot of places will have Sunday brunch.

I’m gathering that you are unfamiliar with the term “flyover states”.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php%3fterm=fly-over%2bstate&amp=true

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

I'm gathering you're extremely unfamiliar with Portland.

I’ve only taken a bus to Boston out of Portland once, so not too familiar with it, but a friend has a Beer Tour company there if you’d like to learn a little bit more about the town, their beer, and their laws. 

Let me know if you’re interested and I can send you the link.

27 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

I originally read that as Shiner and and 18 year old blonde in my room.

Now that would be something...

Alas, watching a game at 9am in one's room with 18 beers is somehow equal to watching a World Cup Final in a rowdy bar.

#howtimeshavechanged

15 hours ago, Woodrow Call said:

I don't see the Dutch beating our ladies. They have excellent ball movement and passing, but unless we make big mistakes on defense, I'm not too worried. Beginning to think Rose Lavelle might be our best overall player. She's a force. 

Yes. White Lightning is fun to watch. She has another gear. 

On 7/3/2019 at 4:49 PM, shnsajax said:

I completely agree. Holland has three strikers that are legit and can clean up a back line fuckup. I don’t think it happens, but if Holland takes the lead then all bets are off. 

Are they really that much more dangerous than Aslani, Blackstenius and Jakobsson?

Are they really that much more dangerous than Aslani, Blackstenius and Jakobsson?
Yeah. Miedema is a beast. Martens is an excellent player but nursing a toe injury. Van De Sanden hasn't been playing well in the tournament so they may go with Beerensteyn in the starting lineup again.

10 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Now that would be something...

Alas, watching a game at 9am in one's room with 18 beers is somehow equal to watching a World Cup Final in a rowdy bar.

#howtimeshavechanged

I just realized I'm pretty sure restaraunts in Texas can serve before noon.

But I'm at horseshoe Bay right now so the options for bars on a sunday morning where anyone cares about soccer are going to be limited.

2 hours ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Yeah. Miedema is a beast. Martens is an excellent player but nursing a toe injury. Van De Sanden hasn't been playing well in the tournament so they may go with Beerensteyn in the starting lineup again.

I've not been impressed by Netherland's offense and they really have struggled to score.  Look at how late their initial goals have come.  92' against NZ. 41' Cameroon, 54' Canada, 17' Japan (the outlier), 70' Italy, 99' Sweden.

More importantly their back line looks ripe for the picking.  Japan picked them apart with passing and the Dutch were lucky to escape from that match.  They were not the better team or side or whatever I'm supposed to call it in soccer.  The US has equal passers and much more size, strength and speed.  The Dutch keeper will need to have the game of her life to give them a shot.

• Like 1

After reading some stuff on the Dutch, seems like they're really aggressive and attack, attack, attack...they weren't challenged in this regards because they teams they play couldn't take advantage of them attacking and returning so quick.

Only reason the US didn't score more, is because when they'd score early in the knock out rounds, they'd pack it in and just play defense...if the Dutch play that wide open style, the US can counter it pretty easy and win a shootout going away most likely.

The Dutch aren't the same team without a healthy Martens and they have been very fortunate throughout the tournament.  

Their group stage performance wasn't impressive (2H injury time winner against NZ, late goal against Cameroon sealed a 2-1 win in which Cameroon was all over them in the second half and a 2-1 win over Canada in which Canada was the dominant side after the early goals). 

The knockout has been the same story. Their win against Japan was probably the most against the run of play game in the tournament.  They were fortunate to get upstarts Italy in the quarters instead of Australia or Brazil and Sweden in the SFs instead of Germany. 

If Ellis doesn't hold back the attack, the U.S. could put up 4 or 5 on them.  Japan sliced them open at will.  If I was ranking the teams I would want to avoid in the final, I would probably place them sixth behind the U.S., France, England, Japan and Germany. 

the swamp germans have a very practical culture, and a shocking degree of hive-mind conformity for western european nation.  of course, living below sea level can do that to you, they have a saying, that on the 8th day the dutch created themselves.

i love so much about their country.  i had a dutch girlfriend in high school and her attitude towards sex was fantastic.  made 10+ trips since..  love the country.

2 things that annoy the fuck out of me about them.

first, the phrase "this is not possible".  they obey authority and hierarchy unlike any other western european country in my opinion.

second, they refuse to make change.  at a pizza place next to the fucking train station with a till full of euros, they fucking won't break a 50, a 20, a 10, a 5.

the dutch are faced with a formidable, superior opponent.  just like their men in 10.  so they are going to do what the men did against spain.

FULL AGGRO.

they may finish with 9, but by god they will take their pound of flesh.

1-1 after 90', us depth finally comes to the good, rapinoe on 114'.

4 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

the swamp germans have a very practical culture, and a shocking degree of hive-mind conformity for western european nation.  of course, living below sea level can do that to you, they have a saying, that on the 8th day the dutch created themselves.

i love so much about their country.  i had a dutch girlfriend in high school and her attitude towards sex was fantastic.  made 10+ trips since..  love the country.

2 things that annoy the fuck out of me about them.

first, the phrase "this is not possible".  they obey authority and hierarchy unlike any other western european country in my opinion.

second, they refuse to make change.  at a pizza place next to the fucking train station with a till full of euros, they fucking won't break a 50, a 20, a 10, a 5.

the dutch are faced with a formidable, superior opponent.  just like their men in 10.  so they are going to do what the men did against spain.

FULL AGGRO.

they may finish with 9, but by god they will take their pound of flesh.

1-1 after 90', us depth finally comes to the good, rapinoe on 114'.

You think rapinoe will play 120, or be a sub for the final?