2019 Women's World Cup - Do It Back to Back

ztejas

4 hours ago, phdhorn said:

If they beat Thailand 13-0, they'd beat the U.S. Men's team by about 24-0.

Please stop doing this.  It's an apples/orange comparison.  The US Men would beat the US Women by 15 goals.  

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/a-dallas-fc-under-15-boys-squad-beat-the-u-s-womens-national-team-in-a-scrimmage/

In preparation for two upcoming friendlies against Russia, the U.S. women’s national team played the FC Dallas U-15 boys academy team on Sunday and fell 5-2, according to FC Dallas’ official website. 

33 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Please stop doing this.  It's an apples/orange comparison.  The US Men would beat the US Women by 15 goals.  

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/a-dallas-fc-under-15-boys-squad-beat-the-u-s-womens-national-team-in-a-scrimmage/

182hqzwfbrmf1jpg.jpg

Nevertheless, the men do horribly suck, I mean really horribly, and the state of women's soccer is meh.  After the first 4-5 WC teams, the quality drops off galactially, and the fact that a team like Thailand even gets in attests to that.  It's okay, it's what it is.

But all those gender-baiting critics should note that for the burr up their asses about "what if the MEN did it..." if you want women's soccer to really be on some kind of par with the men's, then don't applaud this shit - and worst of all, stop thinking that the men would do it.  Scoring 13 goals in a game is what it is, that's merely questionable, but what isn't is the carrying on like you just beat the German men.  My guess is that the Thai women's soccer team would play to a draw vs. no-leg amputees (no one would score), so have a little class.  But most of all, don't bitch about "double standards" when I'm fairly sure that there is no fucking men's team in the universe that would do more than hearty pats on the back/ass/whatever after oh say the 6th goal.  So that stupid fucking "no one would say anything if the MEN did it" well the MEN wouldn't do it, period.  Ever.  

And this is the WORLD CUPP!!!!! so it's okay! As if the women's tourney is the most competitive spectacle anywhere.  No, it's like 7-8 good teams and the rest are pretty meh, if not shitty.  That's okay, again it is what it is.  But who gives a shit if it's the WORLD CUP!!!! That's like saying it's the SOAPBOX DERBY!!!!  The worst 10 cars are blocks on wheels that you probably have to push downhill to run.  The world cup is a few good teams and a bunch of stinkers - much worse than the men even with their 32 teams.  So respect the shitty, awful, shouldn't-be-there-except-the-level-of-competition-at-#24-is-worse-than-imaginable-Thai team and respect their being there by playing on without acting like you're doing something at all hard in that game.

So if you want some semblance of acceptance on the men's level, have the same play standards.  It's over, no one will care next week, but yeah, it was kind of weird and "girlie" to act like 6 year olds at a My Little Pony party after awhile.  Score your goal, high five a few people, and score another.  Nothing wrong with that.  The celebrating?  Dumb.

• Like 2

lalas' fucking contrarian shtick was tiring 10 years ago.  now it drives me to insanity.  he's so fucking smug sitting there thinking of the exact opposite of what everyone else is going to say.  i mute the shit every time to cut to him to speak.

who's dick does he keep sucking to still have a job spewing fucking non-sense shit?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Yeah the only thing even remotely offensive about yesterday was the referee adding second half stoppage time. The rest is just meaningless noise.

I'm good with this. We had already broken the world record at this point. And it's competition at what is presumably the highest level.

9 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

182hqzwfbrmf1jpg.jpg

Nevertheless, the men do horribly suck, I mean really horribly, and the state of women's soccer is meh.  After the first 4-5 WC teams, the quality drops off galactially, and the fact that a team like Thailand even gets in attests to that.  It's okay, it's what it is.

But all those gender-baiting critics should note that for the burr up their asses about "what if the MEN did it..." if you want women's soccer to really be on some kind of par with the men's, then don't applaud this shit - and worst of all, stop thinking that the men would do it.  Scoring 13 goals in a game is what it is, that's merely questionable, but what isn't is the carrying on like you just beat the German men.  My guess is that the Thai women's soccer team would play to a draw vs. no-leg amputees (no one would score), so have a little class.  But most of all, don't bitch about "double standards" when I'm fairly sure that there is no fucking men's team in the universe that would do more than hearty pats on the back/ass/whatever after oh say the 6th goal.  So that stupid fucking "no one would say anything if the MEN did it" well the MEN wouldn't do it, period.  Ever.  

And this is the WORLD CUPP!!!!! so it's okay! As if the women's tourney is the most competitive spectacle anywhere.  No, it's like 7-8 good teams and the rest are pretty meh, if not shitty.  That's okay, again it is what it is.  But who gives a shit if it's the WORLD CUP!!!! That's like saying it's the SOAPBOX DERBY!!!!  The worst 10 cars are blocks on wheels that you probably have to push downhill to run.  The world cup is a few good teams and a bunch of stinkers - much worse than the men even with their 32 teams.  So respect the shitty, awful, shouldn't-be-there-except-the-level-of-competition-at-#24-is-worse-than-imaginable-Thai team and respect their being there by playing on without acting like you're doing something at all hard in that game.

So if you want some semblance of acceptance on the men's level, have the same play standards.  It's over, no one will care next week, but yeah, it was kind of weird and "girlie" to act like 6 year olds at a My Little Pony party after awhile.  Score your goal, high five a few people, and score another.  Nothing wrong with that.  The celebrating?  Dumb.

What a strange rant. I feel drunk by contact

7 hours ago, ATLLonghorn said:

If Spain beats Germany in the next game up the US' path to the Final is probably Germany (2nd in FIFA rankings), France (4th) and England (3rd)

5 hours ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Spain has controlled possession in this game, but their finishing is shit. I haven't seen much to think they're going to be a huge problem for the US unless they can play keep away. Germany doesn't look overly impressive without Marozsan so if she's out long term that could make that half of the KO bracket fun.

Today I watched chunks of Germany vs Spain and France vs Norway(?).

IMPRESSIONS:

From passing accuracy, to individual skill, to quickness, to speed, to power of shots... and final touch in general...

Unless England and/or Sweden are significantly better than the 4 "Top Teams" who played today, I don't think that any team can stay within a goal of the USWNT. I didn't see a player out there today who looked like they could even be a sub for the USWNT and I saw better soccer last fall in the NCAA Women's Soccer Tournament (not even "Final Four") than I have so far from any other team besides the USWNT in this entire Cup.

This year's USWNT would have beaten the 2016 Olympic flops by 4 to 5 goals.

FC Dallas' U-15 squad would beat Germany or Spain by at least 7-0.

11 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Wait, former Canadian players were pissed about our goal celebrations?

https://www.tsn.ca/fifa-women-s-world-cup/video/tsn-women-s-world-cup-panel-it-s-not-about-goals-it-s-about-sportsmanship~1705454

Like the twitter post that led me to that video, I didn't have a feeling one way or the other. But after watching Canada being ticked about our celebrations, I LOVE IT.

This is funny considering the Canadian fans' reaction to Kevin Durant's injury the other night.

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Spain vs Tahiti in the Confederations Cup in 2013 for a comparison of celebrations vs inferior opponents on the world stage.

Exactly this. Those dumb bitches ask if anyone would be saying the same thing if the men did what they did. Well no, because they wouldn't react that way. At all. 

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:11 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

So the world doesn't have Title 9?  Guess what.  A bunch of these countries - including Thailand - don't consider women to be even remotely equal to men.  There are about 500 other things that need to be worked through before you can start worrying about equal soccer pay between men and women in Thailand. 

Now if the US does the same thing to France or Sweden, by all means, celebrate.  But we should really tone it down when it comes to countries with a similar makeup to Thailand.

This is really kind of a funny statement. Spent four years in Thailand and, trust me, it's the women that are the more dominant sex over there. Thai men tend to be the subordinates in that culture. Of course, Southeast Asia would much rather watch the men's game than the women's in that soccer crazy part of the world. 

In regards to that game, I agree with the celebrating being excessive. That was embarrassing to watch. I played hockey in Japan from the late 90's to 2004 and had a few Canadian teammates that were part of the Japanese National and 1998 Olympic team in Nagano. In 2003 , the Japanese team had to play the Thai national team for the warmup to the Asian Winter Games and beat them 39-0!! You had pro-hockey players taking on guys that had played the game about 5 years. It was absolutely ridiculous to even play that game. Certainly wasn't any celebrating going on in that game. Just go out and take care of business. And in that respect, when you do have two equal teams and a player celebrates a goal with an 8 goal lead, I can assure his head better be on a swivel the rest of the night. Paybacks are a bitch. 

I don't know....I just thought the celebrating was a bit over the top. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

I don't know....I just thought the celebrating was a bit over the top. 

This of course was the little gripe that many people had which isn't the end of the world but hey you destroyed a awful team maybe act like you have been there before (which they had especially Rapinoe). 

But in today's freak out world that has to be spun into 1000 different ways for whatever non story narrative some idiot on the internet wants to argue. 

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Almost as strange as seeing posts by people who think that people were serious about the men's vs. women's teams.

I spent 20 years in Knoxville.  During that time I had at least 100 different arguments with people - both men and women - who swore the Lady Vols would beat the Vol men's team.  Hell I got kicked out of a tailgate once going at it with about 10 people claiming as much.  My experience has jaded my perception of truth v saracasm.

• Like 1