2019 Women's World Cup - Do It Back to Back

ztejas

1 hour ago, LonghornJudas said:

Brazilians telling others to get up is always amusing. To be fair, though, the men are way worse.

Good match though. Aussies came to play.

I don't know about that. The entire world was rooting for a dominant United States team (think about that) as time wound down against Brazil in 2011. And that wasn't for anything from before the match, it was purely about the Brazilian women's delay tactics during the match. The Rapinoe-to-Wambach header was cheered by everyone specifically because of how annoying the Brazilians were being.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

Brazil just punked Australia on that goal.  

I watched that play. Thought it was awesome to see the nutmeg lead to the pass to the winger and then a cross to a striker who knew how to COME TO THE BALL and didn't use any shirt tugging or hand on shoulders to get to the ball and head it in. Great lessons:

1) How to nutmeg
2) How to attack the ball in the box
3) How NOT to stand there as a defender and expect the ball to come to you

I was recording the match and had to go do some stuff at 2-0. Came back and it was 2-3 and was a little shocked. Didn't think that the Aussies were anywhere close to the same level as the Brazilians from the 5 to 7 minutes I saw in the 1st Half.

5 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I spent 20 years in Knoxville.  During that time I had at least 100 different arguments with people - both men and women - who swore the Lady Vols would beat the Vol men's team.  Hell I got kicked out of a tailgate once going at it with about 10 people claiming as much.  My experience has jaded my perception of truth v saracasm.

Admitting you have a problem is always the first step.

2 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

And the "WTF is going on here?" deer in the headlight look, apparently. 

That was after an England PK was saved, so yeah it was a pretty on brand moment.

Argentina's keeper has been great, but England got the breakthrough and are just much better.

Bolivia is the Guatemala of CONMEBOL.

Martins lying down on the ground for 45 seconds looking for a call because the soccer ball came down and hit the side of his face...

Wow.

Also, I've never seen a Bolivian striker who was taller than 5'5", so this is something that a 5'9" guy or taller is still flopping like a 5'1" to 5'5" guy.

Sorry Aly Wagner... I take issue with any goalkeeper that you describe as "one of the best in the world" falling backwards, getting both hands on a header redirection of a corner kick, and not keeping the ball out of the back of the net.

That was weak form. If she wasn't going to catch it, punch it. "Flappy Hands" will result in what you saw on the second USA goal. Any decent U15 boy's team 'keeper could've kept that out.

47 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Carli Lloyd is the first player to score in six consecutive world cup games. She's a total badass.

And if the ref had swallowed her whistle and given 0 minutes of stoppage time against Thailand, she wouldn't have this record.

I'm glad that she got it, because she is a badass, but the celebration for the 13th goal against Thailand could have been a bit more subdued.

23 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Textbook corner makes it 3-0.  Chile is completely overmatched, obviously.

#2 When half the Chilean team was pulling an FC Barcelona and was complaining to the ref that the ball had gone out of bounds and should have been a corner rather than a goal kick, it was immediately obvious that they understood how woefully overmatched they would be on corner kicks...

AN' DEY WUZ RIGHT!

Jamie Ertz's slash to the front post and glancing header was as perfectly executed as it was inevitable. That ball was smashed on from such close range and with such power that even a top women's keeper couldn't do anything with it. It wasn't a header from distance, it was a header from 12-15 feet.

#3 And then why mark Carli Lloyd on a set piece?

Then again, Chile has ~2 Tall Players and the USWNT has about 4, plus several Medium Sized Players. The Andean people, with the blood of Spanish & Italian laborers, are not a tall people. They're not Bolivia, but I think that even Ecuador & Peru have taller populations than Chile. 

5 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I love carli lloyd

#loveisblind

4 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Allie Long looks like she’s sponsored by Botox

BEFORE: Allie-Long.jpg

AFTER: Long_Allie_150x250.jpg

She's only 31 and she's doing that shit to her face already. Creepy.

I'm a fan of the "Before", but she might not have looked like "Before" anymore and that's why she has chosen the "After".

Edited by Napoleon

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Reckless fouling in a game that wasn’t in doubt. 

Deserved a second yellow, but she might not play next game either way.

Don't know if she started the 1st game. Don't think that she did, but don't know. (It would be easy to look it up, but...)

I know it's been against really trash opponents, but god damn we look like killers so far. Only a little bad luck and a great 2nd half by the Chilean keeper kept us from dialing it up to 6 or 7 today without even breaking a sweat. Our offense is so much more functional than the bullshit long ball clown fiesta of years past.

Lloyd was dogshit for long stretches of the group stage 4 years ago so I assumed she was finished but she was dominant today. Love to see all the aggressive attacking play. If she's in that kind of form but still can't crack our first 11 then we have an embarrassment of riches indeed. Bring on the Frenchies (or whoever, don't make a shit).

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

I know it's been against really trash opponents, but god damn we look like killers so far. Only a little bad luck and a great 2nd half by the Chilean keeper kept us from dialing it up to 6 or 7 today without even breaking a sweat. Our offense is so much more functional than the bullshit long ball clown fiesta of years past.

Lloyd was dogshit for long stretches of the group stage 4 years ago so I assumed she was finished but she was dominant today. Love to see all the aggressive attacking play. If she's in that kind of form but still can't crack our first 11 then we have an embarrassment of riches indeed. Bring on the Frenchies (or whoever, don't make a shit).

this.  there is a distinct idea that ellis has installed and no one is going rogue.  and lots more skill on the ball than i've ever seen in the women's game.   the seabass had the ball less than 5 minutes of the match.  it's still slow to watch, but the bolded part is the key, we have stopped the bulldada kick 'n rush crap that our culture defaulted to.

@alincoln called it with the ECNL development.  it's still pay-to-play but the number of debutantes and their age and ellis' gaffing may possibly be the lightning in a bottle needed to win the tournament.  sweden will tell.  not declaring us unstoppable yet.

Edited by Hagbard Celine
derp