2019 Women's World Cup - Do It Back to Back

ztejas

The VAR PK calls might ruin this tournament for me. It kinda feels like if the NFL reviewed a play in football and called holding on a DB but instead of 10 yards they gave the ball to the offense at the 5 yard line. There's a reason why the ref lets a lot of shit go inside the 18…because one PK can decide the whole game.

The one on Chile today was pretty wild since the contact clearly started a yard outside the box. I could not believe they called a PK, that was terrible.

12 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

Sorry Aly Wagner... I take issue with any goalkeeper that you describe as "one of the best in the world" falling backwards, getting both hands on a header redirection of a corner kick, and not keeping the ball out of the back of the net.

That was weak form. If she wasn't going to catch it, punch it. "Flappy Hands" will result in what you saw on the second USA goal. Any decent U15 boy's team 'keeper could've kept that out.

After watching a highlight of another match, this Italy vs Japan match from the 2013 Confederations Cup came on and saw Buffon NOT make a stop and thought about your comment.

I'm fairly certain that no one would say that Buffon wasn't world class in 2013.

https://youtu.be/eB-aORH02qs?t=196

The VAR PK calls might ruin this tournament for me. It kinda feels like if the NFL reviewed a play in football and called holding on a DB but instead of 10 yards they gave the ball to the offense at the 5 yard line. There's a reason why the ref lets a lot of shit go inside the 18…because one PK can decide the whole game.

The one on Chile today was pretty wild since the contact clearly started a yard outside the box. I could not believe they called a PK, that was terrible.

Why would one bad call that did not effect the outcome of a blowout ruin the entire tournament for you? That’s odd.

8 hours ago, Napoleon said:

After watching a highlight of another match, this Italy vs Japan match from the 2013 Confederations Cup came on and saw Buffon NOT make a stop and thought about your comment.

I'm fairly certain that no one would say that Buffon wasn't world class in 2013.

https://youtu.be/eB-aORH02qs?t=196

The point being - she took *THAT EXACT REPLAY MOMENT* to claim she was one of the best in the world.  If Gigi had a flappy moment and the commentator tried to equate greatness during a replay of his mistake, I'd make the same comment. 

That was not a "world class" display.  That was a playground goalkeeping error.  It was poorly timed commentary on a fundamental goalkeeping mistake.

Having said that - she played lights-out/world-class in the second half.  No argument whatsoever.

21 hours ago, tokamak said:

I know it's been against really trash opponents, but god damn we look like killers so far. Only a little bad luck and a great 2nd half by the Chilean keeper kept us from dialing it up to 6 or 7 today without even breaking a sweat. Our offense is so much more functional than the bullshit long ball clown fiesta of years past.

Lloyd was dogshit for long stretches of the group stage 4 years ago so I assumed she was finished but she was dominant today. Love to see all the aggressive attacking play. If she's in that kind of form but still can't crack our first 11 then we have an embarrassment of riches indeed. Bring on the Frenchies (or whoever, don't make a shit).

We look like the men's Olympic bball team. If you aren't good, we will embarrass you and put anything we want in the back of the net. 

If you are good, we might still embarrass you, and if we don't you're going to struggle to hang for 90 minutes. 

I don't see us losing unless we get really unlucky or something really weird happens. 

Yeah, when they discussed that the US could post 2 competitive squads, they weren't lying. This team is stacked, and as @tokamak pointed out, we're really aggressive on the attack now. Combine that with the physicality and the sheer mental approach to just kick everyone's ass, and you have a real juggernaut. Just look at the way O'Hara, Heath, and the others play. Those ladies are out for blood every game. 

We subbed in 7 god damned bench players yesterday and still put up a 7-0 type scoreline. Endler just had an amazing 2nd half to keep it at 3.

Also, McDonald is awesome. I love the way she plays.

28 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

This is the goal that allowed Australia to pass Brazil on the goals scored tiebreaker and avoid France or Germany in the R16

How much do you think the keeper was paid?

That is awful even by drunken pub-league standards.

45 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

This is the goal that allowed Australia to pass Brazil on the goals scored tiebreaker and avoid France or Germany in the R16

Good fucking God. A blind, paraplegic mule could have made a better clearance. 

So what’s the score Thursday? Sweden gets at least 1 right? The defense hasn’t been tested at all so far and it’s not the brick wall it was 4 years ago with Julie moved up and some of the others gone.

I’m thinking 3-1 will be a fine score against them.

5 minutes ago, Drew said:

So what’s the score Thursday? Sweden gets at least 1 right? The defense hasn’t been tested at all so far and it’s not the brick wall it was 4 years ago with Julie moved up and some of the others gone.

I’m thinking 3-1 will be a fine score against them.

5-1 USA. No lube.

9 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

So, have I been imagining things or are there some women's squads wearing crests with stars for WC titles won by their men's teams?

Can you imagine if the USMNT wore a crest with three stars?

5 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Brazil WNT does

It's a carry over from when the Brazilian soccer federation didn't give a shit about their women's team. They used to give them the hand off men's jerseys, hence why the crest had the 5 stars, because it was on the men's jersey. I think it's only the last two or three WWC's that they have sent the team in female cut jerseys (IE uniforms bought for the team). But since they were already playing with the 5 stars, it's stayed on the shirt.

• Like 1

The pool of women's teams is way too shallow. 

Something fucked up happened in the Asian qualifying that led to Thailand making it instead of North Korea (which would have been competitive). Thailand made the Women's World Cup by beating Palestine, Taiwan, Jordan and the Philippines.

The third CONCACAF bid should have gone to UEFA.  Jamaica is horrid.  The US and Canada had GDs of +24 and +23, respectively in their 4 CONCACAF qualifiers.  

3 minutes ago, alincoln said:

The pool of women's teams is way too shallow. 

Something fucked up happened in the Asian qualifying that led to Thailand making it instead of North Korea (which would have been competitive). Thailand made the Women's World Cup by beating Palestine, Taiwan, Jordan and the Philippines.

The third CONCACAF bid should have gone to UEFA.  Jamaica is horrid.  The US and Canada had GDs of +24 and +23, respectively in their 4 CONCACAF qualifiers.  

Weird draw.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_AFC_Women's_Asian_Cup_qualification

Had to win the group or be runners-up in Jordan's group (Jordan hosted the finals). North Korea was put in a separate pot because they were hosting the qualifying rounds and they got drawn with South Korea. Essentially North Korea missed a shot at the World Cup because they beat India 8-0 instead of 10-0 and Hong Kong 5-0 instead of 6-0.

I'm sure the North Koreans are one women's team who thought everyone whining about the USA's goal onslaught against Thailand should have shut the hell up.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

It's a carry over from when the Brazilian soccer federation didn't give a shit about their women's team. They used to give them the hand off men's jerseys, hence why the crest had the 5 stars, because it was on the men's jersey. I think it's only the last two or three WWC's that they have sent the team in female cut jerseys (IE uniforms bought for the team). But since they were already playing with the 5 stars, it's stayed on the shirt.

Pretty sure I saw another squad with the stars as well.  Maybe Italy?

Just a cursory search, it doesn't look like it (Italy I mean). Their wiki pages show different crests too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italy_national_football_team

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italy_women's_national_football_team

But yeah, let me know if you see another team (beyond Brazil). I'm curious about it.

Edited by Captain Ron

6 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

...Essentially North Korea missed a shot at the World Cup because they beat India 8-0 instead of 10-0 and Hong Kong 5-0 instead of 6-0.

I'm sure the North Koreans are one women's team who thought everyone whining about the USA's goal onslaught against Thailand should have shut the hell up.

Yes, I'm sure that the North Koreans are totally tapped into worldwide social media and English broadcasting from the USA, Canada, & England...

Oh man, Scotland has to be hating life right now. Up 3-0 after 70 minutes, they looked to have a really good chance to be the last 3rd place team to advance.

Instead the blew it. 2 quick Argentina goals about 5 minutes apart (74' and 79') and then

https://streamable.com/yilvv

A clear penalty saved and then they called another keeper for leaving early on a saved shot. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!

Edited by Captain Ron

45 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Oh man, Scotland has to be hating life right now. Up 3-0 after 70 minutes, they looked to have a really good chance to be the last 3rd place team to advance.

Instead the blew it. 2 quick Argentina goals about 5 minutes apart (74' and 79') and then

https://streamable.com/yilvv

A clear penalty saved and then they called another keeper for leaving early on a saved shot. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!

LOL VAR. I can see the ref missing that in real time, but that is a clear yellow and a penalty. 

22 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

The fix is in.

Actually, at least they are being consistent... even though I think that the call is bullshit.

But the real thing here is that MÍS ARGENTINAS QUERIDAS still have a shot to advance! (Not that FOX Sports understands math at all, or probability, or anything...)

The Argentina women are in 4th place in the list of 3rd place teams, but FOX SPORTS has them "Eliminated". That's because FOX doesn't understand that the matches of the two pairs of 0 pt teams could end in draws. With Thailand as one of the teams, it's doubtful, but it could happen.

Screen-Shot-2019-06-19-at-3-48-41-PM.png

Why is FOX[anything] allowed to broadcast information?

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This entire WC has been inept. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember 2015 being this much of a clown show on the pitch. 

Did they expand teams since then?

nope, same number of teams.

edit: If Cameroon wins tomorrow 13 of the 16 teams that made the knockout stage four years ago will make it this year. 

I also think the perception is skewed because of the US. Four years ago the pots were the seeds, CAF/CONCACAF/OFC, UEFA and AFC/CONMEBOL. The United States drew the toughest possible group (Sweden, Australia, Nigeria). This year they went to the traditional FIFA rankings seeding the way the men's World Cup does and the US got the worst team from pot 3 (somehow Thailand wasn't in pot 4)

As a result the US beat up on two of the worst teams in the tournament to start the WWC this year. Four years ago the US didn't look all that convincing until the semifinals.

Edited by ATLLonghorn

15 hours ago, ztejas said:

This entire WC has been inept. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember 2015 being this much of a clown show on the pitch. 

Did they expand teams since then?

So I decided to go back and look at this, you know - I am not sure that the last go around was much better than this one, if at all.

This year the biggest blow outs of the group stage are: 13-0, 5-0, 5-1, 4-0(x2)
2015 we saw: 10-0, 10-1, 6-0,  5-0, 4-0(x2)

The major difference I see from the US perspective was that this go around we delivered 13-0. Last go around we were more defensive minded and didn't sniff any of these games, with their biggest win being the final 5-2. Combined the US scored 14 for the tournament.

I think that we're just talking about it because the US dropped a can of whup ass on Thailand and that go some buzz going. But as a whole the disparity existed last go around just like this go around.

42 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

So I decided to go back and look at this, you know - I am not sure that the last go around was much better than this one, if at all.

The major difference I see from the US perspective was that this go around we delivered 13-0. Last go around we were more defensive minded and didn't sniff any of these games, with their biggest win being the final 5-2. Combined the US scored 14 for the tournament.

I think that we're just talking about it because the US dropped a can of whup ass on Thailand and that go some buzz going. But as a whole the disparity existed last go around just like this go around.

I'm gonna need some means and standard deviations in order to really confirm if what you're saying is true.

Not really, I actually have no desire to see that. :)

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I think I'm more referring to the VAR horseshit, the awful goal-keeping, etc. 

Just seems really... derpy... so far. 

And regardless of what happens this afternoon, you never lose when watching Swedish babes play soccer (also my 2nd team I'm rooting for so it would be fun to see a good game).