Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

This.
Seriously, for probably 3/4 of my life, "clean the shrimp!" wasn't a thing.  You got whole shrimp, with the heads on and all.  You did stuff like boil them whole, after which you pulled the head off, peeled, and ate it.  If I can, I'll buy cleaned shrimp for certain recipes, because the wife likes that extra touch.  But men shouldn't give a damn about such things.
Get shrimp.  Cook shrimp.  Eat shrimp.  Enjoy, without being a candyass.

Clean the shrimp has been part of my 63 years and my old man before that. I clean them myself. I don’t depend on others to do that. I don’t eat the shit of other animals. I purge my crawfish. Clean the crabs. You can eat all the shit you want.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Clean the shrimp has been part of my 63 years and my old man before that. I clean them myself. I don’t depend on others to do that. I don’t eat the shit of other animals. I purge my crawfish. Clean the crabs. You can eat all the shit you want.

Yeah. I’ve never heard of people leaving the shit tract in any animal. Just cleaned a deer, left the shit in there for the flavor!

Fried shrimp for dinner evolved into shrimp tacos and I wasn’t mad about it. Decided to do two different sauces - jalapeño/avocado crema and a sriracha sauce. Only downside was having to use store-bought flour tortillas but that’s what we had.

4368b0c47a3ea5164f5bbb55492c55e4.jpg
f5585e390e789947ac74646bea49cacf.jpg
bb6938206ad92f5477845a26081793b2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks like fucking perfect fried shrimp. What is your recipe sir? Few things are better than perfectly fried shrimps.

No Texas product is so vastly superior to any similar product than wild Texas Gulf shrimp. Most of the world might as well be eating shitbugs.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah. I’ve never heard of people leaving the shit tract in any animal. Just cleaned a deer, left the shit in there for the flavor!

Cool, cool. I guess the clowns at Mr. B’s in NOLA don’t know anything about shrimp, being that they serve one of their most famous dishes with the “shit tract intact” (that’s how it is when you serve them whole, in the shell).

54bea697271727af7f2b53cb9f635607.jpg

Seriously. Most denizens of the Gulf Coast ain’t that prissy. They eat what’s good, and big whole shrimp are good.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Cool, cool. I guess the clowns at Mr. B’s in NOLA don’t know anything about shrimp, being that they serve one of their most famous dishes with the “shit tract intact” (that’s how it is when you serve them whole, in the shell).

Seriously. Most denizens of the Gulf Coast ain’t that prissy. They eat what’s good, and big whole shrimp are good.
Serious question. Couldn't they have just purged the shrimp while alive/intact? I frankly never really give a shit (npi) but our Port A guys who did our boils in college always purged.

I don’t buy head-on shrimp unless I’m close to the boats that caught em. Those Shrimp look great but what a mess to eat. You can eat them in the Chinese manner and eat those head, shell and all. I do like a fried shrimp head at a good sushi joint. I would be shelling and stripping the vein at table. I learned my gulf seafood lessons from a couple of Cajuns that worked for my dad as a kid and a fraternity brother in college from New Orleans and his brother who cheffed at places like Tujagues, K-Paul’s, and others.

I love Nola barbecued shrimp but I make mine with shrimp I have cleaned and shelled. I either make stock, or toss the shells in the build of the sauce so one gets more flavor extracted from the shells, while getting better flavor into the shrimp.

You eat your shrimp shit, I won’t, and it’s not really worth discussing. I don’t argue with folks about how they eat, it their mouth not mine. Put beans or mango in chili, ketchup on a hot dog, peanut butter in an omelet. Your world not mine.

Love it! Looks gorgeous.

Last month my cleaning lady threw away my starter I got going during the shutdown in march 2020. I’m pretty bummed about it. I wasn’t actually baking bread with it really so I don’t know why I’m sad. I have never kept anything alive that long.

My old man decided he wanted to grow some sour dough when I was a kid around fifth grade. He’d had some sour dough pancakes on a trip. He finally made some and they nearly killed us. They like doubled in size in our guts. But he kept it alive a few years but he never made anything else.
  • Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, harpercollins said:

Love it! Looks gorgeous.

Last month my cleaning lady threw away my starter I got going during the shutdown in march 2020. I’m pretty bummed about it. I wasn’t actually baking bread with it really so I don’t know why I’m sad. I have never kept anything alive that long.

I feel like I finally understand what I'm doing.  I still don't have the crumb where I want it but the taste is pretty damn good. So much better than the sourdough I bought at HEB

10 hours ago, harpercollins said:

What technique are you using? I started with perfectloaf and then graduated to Peter Reinhart.

I'm following this guy. He's got a bunch of videos.  It's much more approachable for me.   I don't know if I'll ever make what I consider a great loaf of bread but I like it and my family likes it and maybe that's enough.

• Hook 'Em 2

Donald Link jambalaya recipe. Not pictured is picking a rotisserie chicken and then using the carcass and all the veggie trimmings to make a stock. Then the method is all about letting stuff repeatedly brown and deglaze with a little stock.

First the sausage, then all the veggies. Then everything back in pot with spices, chicken, rice, and more stock.

aa6f7d40f1f397a91226d6c3237d2f43.jpg

69d34504a317dc2ad12a054c9914c5f9.jpg
c700b65fef7b2995c838fb0a0d91fa8d.jpg
07da4516de7fd1531e16afd7a8b20657.jpg

Gotta link to Link’s recipe?

Looks great!

12 hours ago, PantsTent said:

Donald Link jambalaya recipe. Not pictured is picking a rotisserie chicken and then using the carcass and all the veggie trimmings to make a stock. Then the method is all about letting stuff repeatedly brown and deglaze with a little stock.

First the sausage, then all the veggies. Then everything back in pot with spices, chicken, rice, and more stock.

aa6f7d40f1f397a91226d6c3237d2f43.jpg

69d34504a317dc2ad12a054c9914c5f9.jpg
c700b65fef7b2995c838fb0a0d91fa8d.jpg
07da4516de7fd1531e16afd7a8b20657.jpg

This guy fucks.

7 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Tell me more.

Well, I woke up this morning with a pretty ripping hangover. So naturally, my first thought was "fuck, I need a michelada". Then I started thinking about what ingredients I was going to need and then I started thinking about clamato and soon enough my mind drifted to oysters and a shrimp coctel. 

Made a stock with some random veggie bits in the fridge, salt, and pepper, cut the heat, added the shrimp, second they start turning pink pull them and run under cold water.

Chop tomato, red onion, green onion, green bell pepper, serrano, cilantro, avocado. Add shrimp. Add lump crab. Add clamato. Add salsa. Add aardvark habanero. Mix and cool for a couple hours. Consume more micheladas. Plate, and shuck and add 3 oysters with their zoom, top with avocado and cilantro and salt. 

AD34-E790-3973-4408-8495-57-EBB70-AC8-AA

08-C355-BE-F04-A-4176-871-D-7-F9107-B885

37777980-1-D6-C-42-D7-91-C8-1-DE81-DFA6-

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Well, I woke up this morning with a pretty ripping hangover. So naturally, my first thought was "fuck, I need a michelada". Then I started thinking about what ingredients I was going to need and then I started thinking about clamato and soon enough my mind drifted to oysters and a shrimp coctel. 

Made a stock with some random veggie bits in the fridge, salt, and pepper, cut the heat, added the shrimp, second they start turning pink pull them and run under cold water.

Chop tomato, red onion, green onion, green bell pepper, serrano, cilantro, avocado. Add shrimp. Add lump crab. Add clamato. Add salsa. Add aardvark habanero. Mix and cool for a couple hours. Consume more micheladas. Plate, and shuck and add 3 oysters with their zoom, top with avocado and cilantro and salt. 

I'm reminded that I need to keep all of these ingredients on hand for my next hangover afterthought. 

• Haha 1

Now that is a very creative dish. Well done.  What was the inspiration behind this?

Wish I could take credit - Pushed my love/hate relationship with Epicurious and just searched for Halibut, since that was on sale. Was looking for something “light” and this fit the bill.

Would totally make again, but probably after a high-heat sear for the halibut and perhaps plate over rice.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

coctel de shrimp y crab y oysters.

D2825-C1-D-A4-C0-4177-9052-27921421-C95-

I started a La-De-fucking-Da post with where’s the champagne flute, but after reading the hangover part I’m shocked you were able to pull that off.

Most get breakfast tacos, but one man makes a seafood cocktail garnished with cilantro, then shucks a few oysters for fun. That man? Steve Austin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Anastasis said:

That's awesome.  One of your best offerings.  Well done.

• Like 1