Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Damn. That looks amazing. Do you crisp the potatoes first or just throw everything in the pot?

No, all done at same time and super easy to make. I brine my chicken pieces the night before. Makes the rotation at least monthly. Also, I add onions to the potatoes.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/cast-iron-roast-chicken-with-crispy-potatoes

I did my first few batches with whole chickens but now I prefer to put in cut up pieces. I typically cut each breast into thirds.

Edited by Tailgate
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

No, all done at same time and super easy to make. I brine my chicken pieces the night before. Makes the rotation at least monthly. Also, I add onions to the potatoes.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/cast-iron-roast-chicken-with-crispy-potatoes

I did my first few batches with whole chickens but now I prefer to put in cut up pieces. I typically cut each breast into thirds.

Awesome. Thanks. How do you keep the potatoes crispy? Seems like all that chicken juice goodness will make the potatoes soggy.

32 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Awesome. Thanks. How do you keep the potatoes crispy? Seems like all that chicken juice goodness will make the potatoes soggy.

I drop the chicken in the hot skillet in the oven first. Then pour potatoes on top. Midway through I stir everything up and bring the chicken more to the top and let it get nice and browned. You will have some nice crispy potatoes and we’ll as some delicious soaked in juicy ones. :) it’s really good. Makes great leftovers heated back up in oven too.

I usually do at least 1/2 more pound of potatoes than recipe calls for (they’re that good). If you use less (recipe) and a whole bird, you will get very crispy as long as they’re exposed around the chicken while it cooks. The 425 degrees is key in this recipe.

Edited by Tailgate
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 7/31/2022 at 8:59 PM, PantsTent said:

Green bean and ground pork stir fry. So simple and good… 

4cbc836881a0de10f4edd16cf430a9ba.jpg

On 8/1/2022 at 7:19 AM, PantsTent said:

This is the general idea I used.  I used more meat so needed more sauce.  I seasoned the meat and added some red peppers.

https://www.recipetineats.com/stir-fried-green-beans-with-pork/

Made this tonight, shit slammed, yo. Give that dude some reps. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Anastasis said:

So that is certainly in the running for a Tday side.  Recipe?

perfect thanksgiving side.

multiple ways to do it...easy way and more time consuming way.

both ways: start by mandolin 3.5-4 lbs of either peeled/washed yukon gold or russet potatoes.  i used to do them paper thin but but they have been turning out better with a bit more potato retention with a little thickness to them.  still very thin, just not as translucent.  then soak the slices in cold water for a little bit.  at no point should the potatoes be cooked prior to going into the dish - that is what makes it dauphinoise instead of a standard gratin.  butter/rendered duck or pork fat/oil a dish.  grate up some (two cups based on preference) comté and Parmesan (gruyere works as well obviously).

from there, easy way (which i do if kids are helping me): just build a layer of the mandolin'd potatoes across the bottom of the dish.  brush with some melted butter lightly.  you can actually overdo this.  as sacrosanct is that is to say as a disciple of robuchon and keller, i have over buttered each layer and the over the top richness actually undermined it so keep it light at each layer.  layer some comté and parm (3 to 1 c to p) across.  season the whole layer with kosher salt, regular pepper, and white pepper (heavier with the white pepper).  also, thyme and parsley (and whatever else you like - bacon, truffles, crème frâiche, whatever.  i chopped up to japs this time and spread them across the middle layer and it was a hit for the dinner party i was at.  repeat that three or four more times depending on dish size and potato supply and add about 50% more cheese on the top layer than what you do on the bottom layers.  then gently pour heavy cream around the edges and in-between the potatoes at the top.  do not fill it to the top and drown the dish - just about 3/4 of the way up so you retain a nice crispy top to add some textural contrast.  most people overfill and it tastes good but it is mushy.  cook at 300 for about 30 mins and then jack it up to 375 for another 20-30 mins.

more time consuming (which i do without kids): build the same layers but beforehand, make a béchamel sauce with butter, flour, comté, parm, salt, pepper, white pepper.  layer the potatoes in the same manner, then layer béchamel thinly at each layer except for the very top.  throw in any of the other stuff like peppers, truffles, etc... at each layer.  do not layer béchamel on the top.  retain some of the grated cheese to use on the top but go ahead and brush the top potatoes with plain butter in addition to seasoning like the easy way.  just do 375 straight through for like 45 mins or so.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, strangulation! said:

those look finominle. i think i can get close, but any preparation tips for these?

to call them a crowd pleaser would be an understatement.

pretty standard stuff.  oil at 350 but make sure it is there before dropping in.  counterintuitive but don't include any of the skin from the roasted chicken.  roll about 60 grams of the shredded chicken, shredded cheese, hot buffalo sauce, pepper, salt, and cooked shallots/scallions/or onion into a ball.  roll ball in flour, then egg wash, then panko/bread crumbs as you would expect.  2 to 3 minutes in the oil depending on type of oil you use.  let them drain and dry.  

don't be afraid of the hot sauce you mix up with the chicken, cheese, and shallots.  for a whole chicken worth, 1/3 of a cup of franks.  i may or may not have tried to mix in some chickfila sauce into the mixture at one point before frying.  didn't land as expected.

make your own dipping ranch to take it up to an 11.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sidis said:

need to visit this thread a bit more regularly.  a dump of some pix off my phone from the last month or so.

made tarragon spaghetti.  ended up cooking with olive oil and topping with caviar and holy shit does that work.

IMG_0297.thumb.jpeg.95433ab43ec0d1263b704b45aec4fd55.jpeg

IMG_0298.thumb.jpeg.3538f7b6941283c8ecf951adba59ab98.jpeg

gougères (alain ducasse's recipe)

IMG_2450.thumb.jpg.3a0a574285f6a2d97c114f0f5f082cf4.jpg

savory crêpes

IMG_5486.thumb.jpeg.ed2e0936fa06db62f5179142556a0bc3.jpeg

chocolate mousse with pine nut crust

IMG_5609.thumb.jpeg.f2574f4138eb76faf9ebf7f72689b2ed.jpeg

plucker balls (shredded roasted chicken balled with cheese, peppers, buffalo sauce and fried

IMG_0216.thumb.jpg.b74d2dae7576a11561cc66f7f71c0240.jpg

broccolini salad.

IMG_6719.thumb.jpeg.da1f29f2d3aee2706f8af31517416b0c.jpeg

white wine Parmesan risotto

IMG_7282.thumb.jpeg.a944ac83e6ba18e4a1b83f1bad8b70dd.jpeg

summer limoncello with vodka instead of grain alcohol.

IMG_5658.thumb.jpeg.76fe868ee6a88004dfa73fe29e7e2a4f.jpeg

IMG_0962.thumb.jpeg.57eecdcf35645c1bd9ee0b1efebed5a1.jpeg

roast chicken and purple potatoes

IMG_1419.thumb.jpg.752961f8936a208967cc839031cfb5bb.jpg

spacer.png

perfect thanksgiving side.
multiple ways to do it...easy way and more time consuming way.
both ways: start by mandolin 3.5-4 lbs of either peeled/washed yukon gold or russet potatoes.  i used to do them paper thin but but they have been turning out better with a bit more potato retention with a little thickness to them.  still very thin, just not as translucent.  then soak the slices in cold water for a little bit.  at no point should the potatoes be cooked prior to going into the dish - that is what makes it dauphinoise instead of a standard gratin.  butter/rendered duck or pork fat/oil a dish.  grate up some (two cups based on preference) comté and Parmesan (gruyere works as well obviously).
from there, easy way (which i do if kids are helping me): just build a layer of the mandolin'd potatoes across the bottom of the dish.  brush with some melted butter lightly.  you can actually overdo this.  as sacrosanct is that is to say as a disciple of robuchon and keller, i have over buttered each layer and the over the top richness actually undermined it so keep it light at each layer.  layer some comté and parm (3 to 1 c to p) across.  season the whole layer with kosher salt, regular pepper, and white pepper (heavier with the white pepper).  also, thyme and parsley (and whatever else you like - bacon, truffles, crème frâiche, whatever.  i chopped up to japs this time and spread them across the middle layer and it was a hit for the dinner party i was at.  repeat that three or four more times depending on dish size and potato supply and add about 50% more cheese on the top layer than what you do on the bottom layers.  then gently pour heavy cream around the edges and in-between the potatoes at the top.  do not fill it to the top and drown the dish - just about 3/4 of the way up so you retain a nice crispy top to add some textural contrast.  most people overfill and it tastes good but it is mushy.  cook at 300 for about 30 mins and then jack it up to 375 for another 20-30 mins.
more time consuming (which i do without kids): build the same layers but beforehand, make a béchamel sauce with butter, flour, comté, parm, salt, pepper, white pepper.  layer the potatoes in the same manner, then layer béchamel thinly at each layer except for the very top.  throw in any of the other stuff like peppers, truffles, etc... at each layer.  do not layer béchamel on the top.  retain some of the grated cheese to use on the top but go ahead and brush the top potatoes with plain butter in addition to seasoning like the easy way.  just do 375 straight through for like 45 mins or so.

Incredible dish and thanks for the recipe. I’m trying to figure out how to do this as layers of that top layer repeated.

Eating through our frozen food stocks to make room for hunting season.  Found a section of pork loin from when Costco had them on a mad sale.  Pork loin stuffed with roasted hatch chilis and cream cheese with some Bolner Uncle Chris’ gourmet steak seasoning.  Quick and easy, family devoured it.

05D4C178-06C9-43A0-A786-44F01D9AEFD7.thumb.jpeg.14d8d82992a837d293d85fb49f1f6cc3.jpeg

AE804842-B6F8-49EB-8049-5D7A87AE196A.thumb.jpeg.3421861db55edf6b303a2c836962d969.jpeg

74BAE276-C9AA-410C-A812-A6B706E08F7C.thumb.jpeg.be5fa469ac4392b683767987f2963478.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2