Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

13 hours ago, ohchaucer said:

For a snack I picked up some boqueros (Spanish unsalted anchovies). Quick fry with some lemon and salt.

Very tasty. Need to dial in the prep. They are also great fresh with oil and lemon on bread.

Get comfy, fellas.

7678262873b97d5b43ca0854234b1517.jpg

Hello, gents. Hope you’ve arrived well dressed and comfortable.

a318f738659806c8826089179dfdfad4.jpg

Haha! Fools! You’re quite undone in your indiscretions!

5d2c89538fb69b303aeb0c1df1f4fa13.jpg

And now, a sprinkle of salt, a squeeze of lemon, and you fuckers are mine!

9c8d1efe5f14664b4b7af53bf87600fe.jpg

Boquerones Fritos is one of my favorite dishes when in Spain. 

A couple of recent things that worked out well… smoked a boneless/skinless turkey breast to make cold cuts. Coated w salt, pepper and garlic powder and used pecan. Delicious.

F39503B1-1856-47F2-8E63-991FA89F62D5.thumb.jpeg.40799fb0fa2bf4c46244d13abcaca481.jpegC811F05C-A705-4529-BD0F-93A1378F87CB.thumb.jpeg.5249fbf6ad93cf0bf9c1980ccba9e4b2.jpeg

And then last night made the classic tomato bisque + grilled cheese - sourdough, smoked cheddar and bacon. Was very delicious; would eat again.

CF79027E-3633-4460-8D11-E54B678B6D40.thumb.jpeg.0f59bd03505402c7711ef61f96bbe37b.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

14 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

A couple of recent things that worked out well… smoked a boneless/skinless turkey breast to make cold cuts. Coated w salt, pepper and garlic powder and used pecan. Delicious.

F39503B1-1856-47F2-8E63-991FA89F62D5.thumb.jpeg.40799fb0fa2bf4c46244d13abcaca481.jpegC811F05C-A705-4529-BD0F-93A1378F87CB.thumb.jpeg.5249fbf6ad93cf0bf9c1980ccba9e4b2.jpeg

And then last night made the classic tomato bisque + grilled cheese - sourdough, smoked cheddar and bacon. Was very delicious; would eat again.

CF79027E-3633-4460-8D11-E54B678B6D40.thumb.jpeg.0f59bd03505402c7711ef61f96bbe37b.jpeg

Foods in both pics look fantastic. Bravo!

• Hook 'Em 1

LOL just realized I should have put something in those smoked turkey breast pics for scale. They kind of just look like chicken breasts in that pic.

For reference, I got about 1.5-2 pounds of sliced meat from one of the breasts. The other is vacuum-sealed and frozen for later. May slice it thick and made like a BBQ turkey type sandwiches or something.

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

LOL just realized I should have put something in those smoked turkey breast pics for scale. They kind of just look like chicken breasts in that pic.

For reference, I got about 1.5-2 pounds of sliced meat from one of the breasts. The other is vacuum-sealed and frozen for later. May slice it thick and made like a BBQ turkey type sandwiches or something.

Smoked turkey breast is so good and it looks like you nailed it.  A question, if I may … Cook temp?

Thnx!

6 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Smoked turkey breast is so good and it looks like you nailed it.  A question, if I may … Cook temp?

Thnx!

Yeah it's kind of a fine line with turkey breast... in my experience, "low and slow" will make it too dry -- especially boneless/skinless, but you want it to cook long enough to get some good smoke flavor... so I've found that around 275-300 works best.  (I usually go a little hotter when "smoke roasting" a whole turkey...300-350...otherwise it would take like 5 hours, which would almost certainly dry it out)

At that temp it was around 1.5 hours to get the breasts to 155, which is when I pulled them.  

Then I did a trick that I saw Stubbs BBQ do in one of his videos - immediately wrapped it in Saran wrap and let it set on the counter to rest wrapped up like that and then put it in the fridge over night before slicing.  I guess the idea is that it allows at least some of the liquids that leak out during the rest to re-absorb... don't know if I noticed a huge difference but it wasn't a hassle or anything so I'll probably keep doing it.

My prior method was to just put them in a zip lock back over night and there was always a ton of liquid left in the bag when I pulled them out the next day. There wasn't much left in the Saran wrap so I guess at least some of the liquid re-absorbed. :) 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, ohchaucer said:

For a snack I picked up some boqueros (Spanish unsalted anchovies). Quick fry with some lemon and salt.

Very tasty. Need to dial in the prep. They are also great fresh with oil and lemon on bread.

Get comfy, fellas.

Where did you get the boquerones?

I fucking love those with just some olive oil and a touch of salt.

18 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

I don’t even like anchovies but that looks awesome.

If you've never had boquerones, don't think of them as anchovies as you probably know.  They aren't heavily salted and don't have an extreme fish taste.

It's a completely different experience.

29 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah it's kind of a fine line with turkey breast... in my experience, "low and slow" will make it too dry -- especially boneless/skinless, but you want it to cook long enough to get some good smoke flavor... so I've found that around 275-300 works best.  (I usually go a little hotter when "smoke roasting" a whole turkey...300-350...otherwise it would take like 5 hours, which would almost certainly dry it out)

At that temp it was around 1.5 hours to get the breasts to 155, which is when I pulled them.  

Then I did a trick that I saw Stubbs BBQ do in one of his videos - immediately wrapped it in Saran wrap and let it set on the counter to rest wrapped up like that and then put it in the fridge over night before slicing.  I guess the idea is that it allows at least some of the liquids that leak out during the rest to re-absorb... don't know if I noticed a huge difference but it wasn't a hassle or anything so I'll probably keep doing it.

My prior method was to just put them in a zip lock back over night and there was always a ton of liquid left in the bag when I pulled them out the next day. There wasn't much left in the Saran wrap so I guess at least some of the liquid re-absorbed. :) 

Thnx for the info!

I’ve done turkey, turkey breast, drumsticks, wings .. roasted, fried, smoked, scraped off the road.  No guarantees of success with that critter.  But, thermometers give you a better than average chance.

Agree “low and slow” is a non-starter. My T-day (first time trying skinless) breast cooked at 270F to internal 130F, then double wrapped with butter in foil and finished to 165F.  Juicy, OK taste, but not the dark color I wanted (like yours).

So, next time I’ll try a little higher cook temp and the Stubbs tip to trap the juice while the temp comes down.  FWIW, I usually smoke turkey the day before, slice it warm, and vacuum bag it for refrigerator or freezer.  Great cold or reheated in the vacuum bag in water.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Thnx for the info!

I’ve done turkey, turkey breast, drumsticks, wings .. roasted, fried, smoked, scraped off the road.  No guarantees of success with that critter.  But, thermometers give you a better than average chance.

Agree “low and slow” is a non-starter. My T-day (first time trying skinless) breast cooked at 270F to internal 130F, then double wrapped with butter in foil and finished to 165F.  Juicy, OK taste, but not the dark color I wanted (like yours).

So, next time I’ll try a little higher cook temp and the Stubbs tip to trap the juice while the temp comes down.  FWIW, I usually smoke turkey the day before, slice it warm, and vacuum bag it for refrigerator or freezer.  Great cold or reheated in the vacuum bag in water.

I should amend that it was a Chud's BBQ video, not Stubbs. My brain said Chud's but I typed Stubbs.  :)

And yeah I'm with you... I've experimented a lot with turkey over the years.

This year for my Thanksgiving bird, I dry-brined, spatchcocked and slathered it with tons of compound butter* I made under and over the skin. It only took maybe 2ish hours for a 12-pound bird smoke-roasting at 300-350 and the results were outstanding.

* For the compound butter I used a shit-ton of pressed garlic, rosemary, Italian parsley and thyme. I kept some in reserve and melted it and then poured it over the bird before slicing it up also.

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I should amend that it was a Chud's BBQ video, not Stubbs. My brain said Chud's but I typed Stubbs.  :)

And yeah I'm with you... I've experimented a lot with turkey over the years.

This year for my Thanksgiving bird, I dry-brined, spatchcocked and slathered it with tons of compound butter* I made under and over the skin. It only took maybe 2ish hours for a 12-pound bird smoke-roasting at 300-350 and the results were outstanding.

* For the compound butter I used a shit-ton of pressed garlic, rosemary, Italian parsley and thyme. I kept some in reserve and melted it and then poured it over the bird before slicing it up also.

I always wet brine poultry and pork (all but the shoulder) because it hopefully adds a little moisture that is otherwise missing or lost during the longer cook.

Used to inject but found it a messy and inconsistent application.

Where did you get the boquerones?
I fucking love those with just some olive oil and a touch of salt.

Yeah, great just on bread with good evoo, salt and lemon.

I got them at a fish market near us (which is in Westport, CT). They seem to be pretty easy to find, though. At least around here there are several markets that have them fresh.

3 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

I always wet brine poultry and pork (all but the shoulder) because it hopefully adds a little moisture that is otherwise missing or lost during the longer cook.

Used to inject but found it a messy and inconsistent application.

Yeah I’ve always done wet brine in the past.

I think this year converted me to dry brine. It’s much less of a hassle… no need to make the brine, deal with a huge bucket or cooler and what not, and it has the added bonus of completely drying out the skin so it gets nice and crispy. I’ve never had a turkey with the nice crispy skin like I had this year with the dry brine.

H‑E‑B has the Chuck roasts on special, I picked up two. Got bored and cooked #1 tonight ……

South Texas Carne Guisada 

Cut up meat and simmered down the water

Browned the meat. Then gave it a generous coat of seasonings: cumino, garlic powder, pepper, salt, Sazon, and corn starch. Added more cumino and cornstarch than normal. 

Blended up one can of rotel added. Added in one tub of H‑E‑B hot pico de gallo. added n some beef broth 

low simmer for an hour or so

its delicious. I’ll freeze and vacuum seal up servings tomorrow 

56B945D0-44EC-42B0-BF1E-CC85949C0F08.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

On 11/30/2022 at 8:34 PM, ohchaucer said:

Get comfy, fellas.

Soul brother. 

Just bought a place at Canyon Lake and figured some proper food pron was called for to announce my presence with authoritah!  

Given username decided on this - Deboned yardbird stuffed with dirty rice and jambalaya from Herbert’s Meat Market in Maurice, LA…

B8402065-860E-4EEF-8ED0-291443785178.jpeg

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 9

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

yeah, so I am gonna need that recipe sir. 

Totally made up. Sautéed some garlic and Thai chillies. Added coconut milk,  lime, lime zest, red curry paste, chicken stock, bell peppers and carrots. When the peppers and carrots got soft I blitzed it smooth with the stick blender. Then added some tomatoes and basil and let them cook for 20 minutes. Added pineapple and let it cook for 10 minutes. Added salmon chunks and baby bok Choi and let that go for another 5 minutes or so. Topped with more fresh basil and rice. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 12/9/2022 at 5:32 PM, pops said:

Totally made up. Sautéed some garlic and Thai chillies. Added coconut milk,  lime, lime zest, red curry paste, chicken stock, bell peppers and carrots. When the peppers and carrots got soft I blitzed it smooth with the stick blender. Then added some tomatoes and basil and let them cook for 20 minutes. Added pineapple and let it cook for 10 minutes. Added salmon chunks and baby bok Choi and let that go for another 5 minutes or so. Topped with more fresh basil and rice. 

Thanks for this. We still have a good amount of salmon from our Alaska trip. Needed new ideas for recipes

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Thanks for this. We still have a good amount of salmon from our Alaska trip. Needed new ideas for recipes

My curry game isn't the best. Was trying to recreate a recipe from a restaurant. They actually servd it in half of a hollowed out pineapple. Don't skimp on basil and use Thai if you can find it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

image.png.5c7333b6fded6f5b1941f7f6d6717f42.png

image.png.83935ab8a43ec9a5c68ea8c1c7f6268d.png

Just a little before and after on a roast I cooked to celebrate a graduation. Actually overbought and took the whole rib eye roast in the cryopack.  But I need to get a bigger roaster!  had to cutoff a monster 3-1/2 thick ribeye steak to get the uncooked meat to fit.  I went ahead in cut off the ribs prior to cooking, and just tied it all back together with twine to cook.  On a small roast I would do the rib work after the fact.  But on a 15 pound roast... cut the ribs off first.

Also a PSA if you like the pics.  Randall's has Choice Ribeye Roasts for $6.99 a pound... until tomorrow

Cooked it at 475 for 50 minutes, until it was smoking pretty good. Then shut the oven for a couple hours until the guest were soon to arrive, then finished at 375 until the thermometer hit 120.  Turned out a perfect medium rare after resting.  I need to get a roast pan that is a bit longer so I can cook the entire 7 ribs at once.  I forgot to take a pic of the meat cutting, but it was great.  I'll try to remember to take a big of the giant bone in ribeye steak before we devour it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 3

Had some pulled rotisserie chicken and a Pillsbury pie crust. Chicken pot pie. Comes together before the oven heats up. Sautéed onions and celery in lots of butter. I could have added flour and made a roux then broth and milk but why do that when there’s a can of Campbells cream of chicken soup. Frozen peas and carrots thawed. Garlic, black pepper, paprika, marjoram, tarragon. Add the chicken. Room temp pie crust. Pour hot filling in, add top crust. Come out perfect. This is leftovers.57eae12be98d57d88170d748ffeec65c.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1