Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

3 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

@Anastasis what’s the name and recipe for the stuffed meat dish?  I get the dolmas but the other one escapes me.  

Kibbeh Bil Saniyeh is the name for the version baked in pans.

Kibbeh also gets made into little football shapes, like we did with the left overs after two trays were filled...these can be fried (most commonly) or also baked.

736-A92-E8-CC63-4393-BB55-D9-ADE62788-F5

BFB5-A25-F-1-D43-4-EC0-BE78-1882-CD60426

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

That was my first thought, it’s like baklava only with meat.  Looks fantastic. 

Here is the recipe that was used.  One day I am going to turn this into a tex mex dish with a chorizo-based middle layer. 

Spoiler

Hushwee (the middle layer, filling):
1 1/2 pounds beef ground extra lean
1/2 cup pine nuts
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3/8 teaspoon cinnamon
3/8 teaspoon allspice
1 1/2 tablespoons dried parsley
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
1 1/2 teaspoons dried mint flakes
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 10 oz packages frozen spinach (i'd do three next time)
1/3 to 1/2 cup lemon juice, to taste

Kibbie (the bottom and top layers):
4 pounds ground beef or lamb, extra lean
2 cups burghul, rinse in bowl, and leave about 1/2 cup water in wheat. Set bowl aside 20 minutes
1 large onion, ground or pureed in blender with 1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper olive oil

Hushwee: Brown meat. Drain grease and set aside. Heat oil and brown onions and pine nuts. Add spices, meat and rest of hushwee ingredients. Stir and let cool.

Kibbee: Combine meat, onion and spices. Mix. Drain any excess water from wheat and add to meat mixture. Mix and knead well. If necessary, add a little water to soften mixture.

Lightly oil 2 9x13 inch baking dishes. Divide kibbi in fourths. Moisten hands with water and spread one fourth of kibbi in baking dishes on the bottom and sides. Flatten so that layer is even, (about 3/8 inch all the way around.) Pour 1/2 of filling on top of each pan. Layer the rest of the kibbi on top of fillings. This can be done in small sections, flattening the meat 3/8 inch, before placing it in pans. Moisten hands and smooth top layer. Using a wet knife, cut kibbi into diamond shaped pieces, desired size. Bake in a 350 degree oven 45 to 50 minutes or untii done.

The top layer will actually take a little less since the sides with already be covered. if it looks like you will have extra kibbee, don't use all the hushwee in the two pans. Either make another smaller pan or little kebab.

IF DESIRED and fresh ground meat was used, Kibbee can be frozen before being cooked and baked at a later date. It freezes well and can be thawed in refrigerator before baking.

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Been buying the 2 lbs of Bison for $20 at costco lately as a "keep in the fridge staple" for Blue cheese bison burgers.  Unfortunately, or rather FORTUNATELY we didn't have any buns yesterday afternoon and we decided to make some bison meatballs and pasta in a cream sauce.  The bison is loose and the meatballs were fragile as we put just enough binder in to barely hold the together, so a lot of delicate turning in the pan to get them browned evenly.  But I will be damned, those damn Bison meatballs may have been the best damn meatballs I have ever tasted.    I need to do a side by side with beef to see if it was the meat or the careful pan searing.   Overate the shit out of the stuff...BisonMeatballsincreamsauce.jpeg.af048eb38bc2319da8a511a8b5c0f8fb.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4

• 2 weeks later...

I avoid pesto because I'm highly allergic to nuts, but this week I learned about a French sauce called "pistou" that is essentially a nut-free pesto.  So, I made it, but I added a jalapeno pepper, because why not?  Basil, garlic, tomato, jalapeno, parmesan, olive oil.

Served it over rotini pasta with blackened chicken.  Not the best presentation in the world, but damn it was delicious:

image.thumb.jpeg.8f875a00c303429edb10d27e864856d8.jpeg

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Yeah, the big tub of basil was $5, but there's no good substitute for that basil flavor.  I'm sure a spinach pesto would be good too.

I've grown my own basil many times and I have a 100% kill rate.  My brain just isn't wired to pay attention to plants.  At least my kids get fed regularly, for the most part.

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I love pesto but not the cost of pine nuts so I’ve made pesto with pecans and cashews. I’ve also made with no nuts with little change in flavor.

I also make pesto or pistou with arugula, cilantro, parsley.

Walnuts are always good as well

On 3/4/2023 at 10:41 AM, Anastasis said:

Holy shit. Post more details on the eat what you kill thread please. 

Sure, I’ll cross post over there.  Forgot all about that thread.

11 hours ago, LW Goatman said:

I've got a big oryx roast I just thawed and I'd like to try something new. Can you post some details here? Looks incredible.

I kinda winged this one, using several recipes for guidance. The basics:

1 elk chuck roast

1-2 carrot - chopped

2 celery - chopped

3-4 cloves garlic - minced

1 white onion - diced

1 can crushed tomatoes (28oz; I prefer Contadina)

2-4 cups beef stock

0.5-1 cup red wine (optional)

2 bay leaves

salt and pepper to taste

Parmigiana reggiano as desired

Italian parsley for garnish

- Salt and pepper the roast.  Then sear in olive oil using a heavy pan.  Remove roast once browned.

- Using the same pan, sauté carrot, celery, onion, garlic.  Deglaze pan with beef stock.

- Transfer seared roast, sautéed veggies, browned bits, and stock to a Dutch oven.  Add tomatoes and wine, bay leaves. Braise covered in oven at 325* for 3.5 hours or until roast shreds easily with forks.

-  If necessary, remove roast and reduce sauce further to desired consistency.

-  Serve over pasta of choice.

-  Top with parmigiana reggiano, garnish with Italian parsley.

This is very easy to make.  For me, the key was letting simple, bold flavors stand out on their own without getting too cute with ingredients.  I find this approach lets the elk shine.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1