Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

On 3/14/2023 at 8:47 PM, Mo Horn said:

Daughter in law is visiting for her birthday and she requested a banana cream cheesecake for dessert. I always say I could never be a pastry chef. I can make it taste great, but I have zero artistic talent and can't make it pretty. She said it was great. 20230314_193406.thumb.jpg.60cd46b56f06e29404110c6a3891f1fd.jpg20230314_193822.thumb.jpg.9a5ac23357a2a55eac8ea43a4d7779fb.jpg

The recipe would be greatly appreciated … por favor.

• Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, CoachTex said:

@South Austin got a recipe you can share?

It's Ina Garten's.  Link  I haven't used another recipe since I started making this about 7 years ago.  It works for me, and it's pretty damn good.

A couple recommendations:

After taking the pot out of oven, the recipe calls for throwing in a mixture of butter and flour to thicken the sauce.  I've found that it's easier to mix the flour and butter in a bowl, ladle in 1-2 cups of the hot liquid once out the oven, and whisk together before throwing back into the pot.  It helps spread out that thickening "roux" more consistently in the stew.

Also, as with a lot of other big pot braising recipes, don't use a pricey red wine or cognac.  Get a Burgundy or Oregon Pinot in the mid-20's, and a similarly priced brandy.  Maybe it's just me, but using a high-priced wine and liquor in cooking doesn't make a difference. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

It's Ina Garten's.  Link  I haven't used another recipe since I started making this about 7 years ago.  It works for me, and it's pretty damn good.

A couple recommendations:

After taking the pot out of oven, the recipe calls for throwing in a mixture of butter and flour to thicken the sauce.  I've found that it's easier to mix the flour and butter in a bowl, ladle in 1-2 cups of the hot liquid once out the oven, and whisk together before throwing back into the pot.  It helps spread out that thickening "roux" more consistently in the stew.

Also, as with a lot of other big pot braising recipes, don't use a pricey red wine or cognac.  Get a Burgundy or Oregon Pinot in the mid-20's, and a similarly priced brandy.  Maybe it's just me, but using a high-priced wine and liquor in cooking doesn't make a difference. 

Agree on the first point, semi-agree on the second. No, you don’t need a DRC Burgundy, but I find that a quality Pinot or Cote Du Rhône makes a real difference in the flavor. I feel like I usually end up in the $40-$50 range. 

Another change I make to that Ina recipe (having it made it dozens of times), is to double the mushrooms and use real Pearl onions.

4 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Agree on the first point, semi-agree on the second. No, you don’t need a DRC Burgundy, but I find that a quality Pinot or Cote Du Rhône makes a real difference in the flavor. I feel like I usually end up in the $40-$50 range. 

Another change I make to that Ina recipe (having it made it dozens of times), is to double the mushrooms and use real Pearl onions.

Agree that it could use some more mushrooms.  One pound cooks down pretty significantly.  I use the frozen pearl onions simply to save on labor, since pealing a pound of tiny onions is a pain.  I assume you do that for flavor's sake?

Just now, South Austin said:

Agree that it could use some more mushrooms.  One pound cooks down pretty significantly.  I use the frozen pearl onions simply to save on labor, since pealing a pound of tiny onions is a pain.  I assume you do that for flavor's sake?

Honestly it’s more texture than flavor. I find the frozens stay really firm and sometimes have an odd feel when eating. The real onions come out more like stewed onions, and sometimes fall apart. But I agree they are a real pain in the ass to prepare. 

Pro tip on the pearl onions I stole from maybe a new York times video(?) The first time I made beef Bourgogne years ago and wanted to punch a baby in the throat after about 5 onions. 

Trim the root end, put in a pot of boiling water for about 1 minute then submerge in an ice bath. Drain. Grab an onion by the skinny end and squeeze and they just pop out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

Still sounds like work.

It is, and the next time I make a stew, I'm going to try frozen to see if there's actually a difference.  Here's a recipe I've used a few times.  The big change is doctoring up storebought stock with gelatin, better than bouillon, and tomato paste.  I have tons of homemade chicken stock, but almost never have beef.

22 minutes ago, elfenix said:

lagerstrom is one of the best food youtubes.  probably a step behind joshua weissman though weissman has leaned waaaay too into the papa character. 

True.  I've also actually made several of Lagerstrom's recipes, and haven't gotten to a single one of Weissman's.

14 hours ago, South Austin said:

@HeHateMe, I love cioppino (and bouillabaisse or any hearty seafood stew).  Care to share you recipe?

Most of the ingredients you can see in the pictures and I usually will grab whatever seafood looks or sounds the best to throw in.  We have Chula seafood here in Scottsdale and their fish kicks all sorts of ass.  I bought a piece of halibut, some scallops and shrimp from chula not knowing what I was going to do with it.  Once I decided on cioppino, I bought some little necks and some jumbo lump crab meat from the store when I went to pick up the other ingredients.  

Chop 2 shallots and dice 4 cloves of garlic.  Olive oil and medium heat and throw the shallots on for 4 or 5 minutes, add garlic for 1-2 additional minutes.

Add 1 and 1/4 cups of white wine and turn the heat up and let reduce by halfish.

Add 1 large can crushed tomatoes, 1 cup of water, and 1.5-2 jars of clam juice.  I used 1.5 for this one.  Throw in 2 bay leaves, big pinch of salt, big pinch of crushed red pepper and a small pinch of dried oregano, some cracked black pepper and a little sugar.   Bring to a boil and reduce all the way down to simmer for 30 minutes with the lid on.  

For the seafood I prepare the fish and the scallops separately from the rest of the stew.  I cut the halibut into smaller pieces, tossed in olive oil and baked for 8 minutes at 400.  I pan seared the scallops in butter/olive oil.  When done I put both into the bowls that were getting served.  The hot broth will bring back to temp if they cool too much.

After the stew simmers for the 30 minutes, I give it a good stir and drop in some fresh chopped thyme and 3-4 generous pats of butter.  Stir until butter is melted and incorporated into the stew.  Drop in the little necks and lid back on to simmer for 5-6 minutes.  Once they start to open I dropped the peeled shrimp in and the lump crab meat.  Lid on for another 3-4 minutes.  Remove from heat and remove the bay leaves if you didn’t earlier.  I ladle all the goodness into the bowls that already have the scallops and halibut in it.  Garnish with chopped Italian parsley.  Serve with bread and I like to squeeze a lemon wedge over before I eat.

Obviously you can adjust to your tastes, and I tend to use more clam juice when I don’t have as much seafood, so I went lighter on the juice here.  Let me know how it turns out.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 hours ago, HeHateMe said:

Most of the ingredients you can see in the pictures and I usually will grab whatever seafood looks or sounds the best to throw in.  We have Chula seafood here in Scottsdale and their fish kicks all sorts of ass.  I bought a piece of halibut, some scallops and shrimp from chula not knowing what I was going to do with it.  Once I decided on cioppino, I bought some little necks and some jumbo lump crab meat from the store when I went to pick up the other ingredients.  

Chop 2 shallots and dice 4 cloves of garlic.  Olive oil and medium heat and throw the shallots on for 4 or 5 minutes, add garlic for 1-2 additional minutes.

Add 1 and 1/4 cups of white wine and turn the heat up and let reduce by halfish.

Add 1 large can crushed tomatoes, 1 cup of water, and 1.5-2 jars of clam juice.  I used 1.5 for this one.  Throw in 2 bay leaves, big pinch of salt, big pinch of crushed red pepper and a small pinch of dried oregano, some cracked black pepper and a little sugar.   Bring to a boil and reduce all the way down to simmer for 30 minutes with the lid on.  

For the seafood I prepare the fish and the scallops separately from the rest of the stew.  I cut the halibut into smaller pieces, tossed in olive oil and baked for 8 minutes at 400.  I pan seared the scallops in butter/olive oil.  When done I put both into the bowls that were getting served.  The hot broth will bring back to temp if they cool too much.

After the stew simmers for the 30 minutes, I give it a good stir and drop in some fresh chopped thyme and 3-4 generous pats of butter.  Stir until butter is melted and incorporated into the stew.  Drop in the little necks and lid back on to simmer for 5-6 minutes.  Once they start to open I dropped the peeled shrimp in and the lump crab meat.  Lid on for another 3-4 minutes.  Remove from heat and remove the bay leaves if you didn’t earlier.  I ladle all the goodness into the bowls that already have the scallops and halibut in it.  Garnish with chopped Italian parsley.  Serve with bread and I like to squeeze a lemon wedge over before I eat.

Obviously you can adjust to your tastes, and I tend to use more clam juice when I don’t have as much seafood, so I went lighter on the juice here.  Let me know how it turns out.

spacer.png

Saturday afternoon….found some ground prime rib slider patties at Sam’s.  $12 for 18 of them bad boys.  Cooked them for about 3 mins/side then turned the grill down to low and let them “roast” a bit.   Absolutely delicious little bastards

Then did a standard Easter staple of ham, “french beans” and scalloped Yukons.   

B948E3A9-097C-4173-ACF5-B18118E72350.jpeg

A707FED3-C06B-49E6-B007-7E2D8C94DE7D.jpeg

C7166D5C-BD76-449D-A3E9-D5BB7CF4A676.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

43 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Has anyone made any wings lately or have a good recipe? Maybe garlic parmesan. 

Lol…no more post happy hour posts! 

RECIPE- I just air fry wings now. Just mince fresh garlic and mix with fresh grated Parmesan and put in bowl. Then drop hot wings in right after cooking. I do add salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder and a little paprika when cooking wings.

Edited by Tailgate