Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

11 hours ago, mchookem said:

hotter chilis, i couldn't find arbols so i added a couple of those tiny little hot Asian peppers, could have added several more. awesomely spicy with barely any heat. 

Looks great. If you want to add more heat without upping the pepper level, try a couple spoonfuls of adobo sauce from canned chipotles. I do that for my chili.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

none of y'all assholes had a pozole recipe so i did what i usually do... studied a few different ones and made up my own. i was gifted an Instapot recently and have been trying various dishes, so i went with it, seemed like an appropriate dish. total prep/cooking time was about 2.5 hours, most of that the pot doing the work.
20230528_174934.thumb.jpg.f63156f0b513104fb8f9c7664cd55bf2.jpg20230528_174746.thumb.jpg.37563d3f6e42d9569f5734ddf6d2619b.jpg20230528_175336.thumb.jpg.efe336e75cd2fc45cc2b3cab4ba17f78.jpg20230528_183307.thumb.jpg.441d5354401946f5af6a751a4e598a61.jpg
my last from March visit

things i'll do different next time...
hotter chilis, i couldn't find arbols so i added a couple of those tiny little hot Asian peppers, could have added several more. awesomely spicy with barely any heat. 
also, better cut of pork...I had a giant pack of riblets from HMart which was the inspiration, and i added some boneless roast cuts. the bones/fat on the riblets  added SO much flavor, but you have to be pretty careful when you're eating it, and have a plate for the bones/gristle
other than that... holy shit was it good
20230528_191636.thumb.jpg.6720e71fd61c56032b304ad639cb5b73.jpg

Sorry. Meant to share mine. It’s old school and super easy - uses chili powder instead of dried chilis. Yes, seriously, dried chilis are all the rage now (and I do love adding some dried chili purée to my posole and chili these days), but I grew up with family making all of this stuff with good chili powder.

And you’re right on the pork - get some cuts with good connective tissue and bones. Cube it the nest you can. Brown it, then add some chicken stock (again, my messican family always used knorr powdered stuff). Simmer till tender. Set the pot aside. Brown some onions, preferably in pork fat/bacon grease, then some garlic. Add to pot. Add water, and the liquid from your canned hominy till you think you have enough. Add chili powder. Hell if I know how much - just add enough. Add some dried oregano. Check the taste, add some knorr powder as needed. Simmer to let flavors blend. Add hominy, simmer maybe another 30 mins.
It’s generally not that spicy, and it’s really not supposed to be. If you want to add some chili purée, do it before you add chili powder. Oh, and I seed my chilis before I soak and purée.
Serve with finely shredded cabbage, limes, fresh diced onions, and dried oregano to sprinkle on there.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Did everyone make Posole this weekend? 

Wife got Covid from me, so I made her posole de pollo with really basic pantry staples: canned hominy, a couple limes,  chicken bone broth, chili powder + one dried guajillo + chipotle powder for smoke.

sauteed chopped onion and 6 cloves of garlic, added S+P, spices, and broth.  pureed 1/3 of the canned hominy for thickness and added the hominy. Poached the chicken in the soup for 30 mins,  pulled it out and shredded, returned to the soup to simmer for another 20 mins, added lime last. 

IMG_3808.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Didn't bring the old electric smoker to the new place, so I tried a little offset in the Weber.  Banked some charcoal and got some St. Louis ribs and corn, very basic definitely not Shaggy 1%.  Made a quick and dirty dry rub [sugar salt blk pepper paprika garlic and onion pwdr]  and let them go for 4.5 hours.  Not a lot of char but turned out pretty good, it was knd of difficult keeping the temp consistent.  Need a new smoker now that I have the space for it.

20230529_134615.jpg

20230529_170015.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, TOR said:

Didn't bring the old electric smoker to the new place, so I tried a little offset in the Weber.  Banked some charcoal and got some St. Louis ribs and corn, very basic definitely not Shaggy 1%.  Made a quick and dirty dry rub [sugar salt blk pepper paprika garlic and onion pwdr]  and let them go for 4.5 hours.  Not a lot of char but turned out pretty good, it was knd of difficult keeping the temp consistent.  Need a new smoker now that I have the space for it.

20230529_134615.jpg

20230529_170015.jpg

I've done ribs on a kettle a number of times. I will take a poultry roasting rack and flip it and set the ribs up on their side. That creates more space and distance from the other side of the grill so I can run a minion of lump and wood chunks. It works pretty well when all you've got is a kettle. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I would like to know more about the technique here - that looks less gooey than the hominy casserole's I've had

Here’s a version that looks like a close facsimile of the one I use from the Perini Ranch cookbook:

http://www.lanabird.com/2014/07/26/perini-ranch-green-chili-hominy-jessicas-favorite/

Even better, watch this video of Aaron Franklin with Tom Perini cooking this dish:

• Hook 'Em 4

https://www.centralmarket.com/product/beelers-natural-tomahawk-bone-in-rib-chops/5766024

image.thumb.png.30660bc9e284c8eb7f7e8ed0a9bdd042.png

https://bfhmerch.com/products/terry-blacks-pork-dry-rub

image.thumb.png.4cb3b666a758c7d743005b8844be49aa.png

Did a reverse sear slow roasting in the toaster oven at 200° to an internal temp of 138°.  Rested loosely tented in foil for 10 minutes then seared it in the same toaster oven on broil for 6 minutes to get the maillard reaction

image.thumb.png.35f982a088b3916465e0c403f01f3cc3.png

image.thumb.png.f552cfd1f6537df85491d0548a83e9b7.png

image.thumb.png.fb16c4e6d6750d7aa33210e9757543fe.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

This meal fucked.

Lobster rolls 3-ways. Connecticut roll, gochujang garlic roll with fried shallots, and a traditional Maine roll (made a spicy mayo to kick it up a notch). The gochujang roll might be one of the best things I’ve ever eaten. ee03f01133efd9795418517dfa14867f.jpg

Damn. My wife’s from Maine (incidentally won’t go within 5 feet of mayo, sadly) and we live in Connecticut so this mostly hits close to home.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Those look perfect to me. That would be my portion. How much coffee?

I did a normal 2:1 pepper to salt (volume) ratio, then added the same amount of coffee as pepper.   Probably ended up being about 4tbs pepper and coffee with 1.5tbs kosher salt and maybe 1.5 teaspoons smoked paprika.  I had also already dry brined the steaks for 2 hours 

used some olive oil to bind, and had a water pan in the smoker underneath the steaks.   

even the one that was medium was juicy as shit.   6 adults and 4 kids ate on it and it we had a little leftover (enough to make tacos today for lunch).   Even my wife was saying “we need to do those steaks again sometime soon.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

They serve lobstah rolls in the fucking McDonald's near where I grew up in CT. Insanity.

I worked in Nova Scotia for a week or so, and some of the other attendees had families of lobster fishers from the south side.  One said her dad swore that the McDonald's lobster roll there was the best you could get on the whole peninsula.  Never woulda guessed.